[net.women] Discrimination and AA and Racism

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (06/14/85)

Thanks for posting those definitions.  They defined racism as
a philosophy that asserted some form of superiority or inferiority
to a certain race.  They also said racism is any policy or action based
on that concept.

Now AA is a program that states that certain races are downtrodden,
discriminated against and hurt.  It states that this quality, which
should be pitied is inherent in the race.  It says, "Because your skin
is black, you are downtrodden and thus must be given special status"

Not because you were downtrodden in some time in your life, but simply
because your skin is black, or you have a double X chromasome.

When you consider this, AA fits the published definitions of racism
rather well.   It asserts that members of a certain group, simply by
membership in that group, are entitled to special status and rights.
It states that hiring policies should be directed by this thought.

Perhaps you are confused because AA does not assert that blacks
are superior to whites in a physical sense.  Instead it simply
says they should be treated better by the law, because they should
be pitied.  A difference perhaps, but an important one?

------------
On another note, the federal government has recently rejected a
proposal brought on by a committee looking into affirmative action.
This proposal called for wage police to make sure of equal pay for
work of equal value.  Instead, in a typical government way, they
are calling for AA, but will create no enforcement agency.
Better than having to watch out for the wage police, I guess.
The thought police would not have been far behind.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

mfs@mhuxr.UUCP (SIMON) (06/17/85)

> Now AA is a program that states that certain races are downtrodden,
> discriminated against and hurt.  It states that this quality, which
> should be pitied is inherent in the race.  It says, "Because your skin
> is black, you are downtrodden and thus must be given special status"
>
> Not because you were downtrodden in some time in your life, but simply
> because your skin is black, or you have a double X chromasome.

That may be a definition of something but it is not the definition of
AA. AA is set of actions taken to ensure that the promise of Equal
Employment, which is the law, becomes a reality. Essentially, AA
attempts to include a representative number of minorities and
women in the pool of candidates for jobs and promotions.The presumption
is that some percentage of those thus included will be qualifies
and hired/promoted. It is most emphatically NOT saying that
some group will automatically hird or promoted on the basis of race.

Employers who hire on promote blacks and women on the basis of quotas
are NOT implementing AA in a fairand rational manner. THEY are
the ones who should be flamed, for THEY are the racist ones.
The concept of AA is not  sullied by them.

Marcel imon

robertp@fear.UUCP (Robert Plamondon) (06/18/85)

In article <354@mhuxr.UUCP>, mfs@mhuxr.UUCP (SIMON) writes:

> Employers who hire on promote blacks and women on the basis of quotas
> are NOT implementing AA in a fairand rational manner. THEY are
> the ones who should be flamed, for THEY are the racist ones.
> The concept of AA is not  sullied by them.
>
> Marcel imon

The whole idea of having a law is to FORCE people who disagree with
you to do what you want.  The whole idea of AA legislation is to
force employers who want to hire in a governmentally-approved manner.

The idea that these employers will "implement AA in a fair and
rational manner" is ludicrous.  The government is trying to force
them to do something they don't want to do, so they're trying to
wriggle out -- just as YOU would do if the government tried to force
YOU to do something you thought was wrong.

Most laws are full of loopholes, irrational provisions, and nasty
side effects. People who disapprove of the law will of course take
advantage of this.  All of this is utterly predicatble. If you
complain that a law isn't having the effect you envisioned, the fault
is in the law, not the public.
--
		-- Robert Plamondon
		   {turtlevax, resonex, cae780}!weitek!robertp

shor@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Melinda Shore) (06/24/85)

[]
> From: robertp@fear.UUCP (Robert Plamondon)
> The whole idea of having a law is to FORCE people who disagree with
> you to do what you want.

Silly me.  And here I thought that the whole idea of having a law was to
protect individual liberties and promote general welfare.

> The idea that these employers will "implement AA in a fair and
> rational manner" is ludicrous.

True enough.  Which is why we need legislation.  It's pretty clear that
telling employers that discrimination is morally repugnant is not enough.

> Most laws are full of loopholes, irrational provisions, and nasty
> side effects. People who disapprove of the law will of course take
> advantage of this.  All of this is utterly predicatble. If you
> complain that a law isn't having the effect you envisioned, the fault
> is in the law, not the public.

True again, but I don't see that as justification for not trying to right
some grossly obvious wrongs.
--
Melinda Shore
University of Chicago Computation Center

uucp:     ..!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!shor
Bitnet:	  shor%sphinx@uchicago.bitnet

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (06/27/85)

> []
> > From: robertp@fear.UUCP (Robert Plamondon)
> > The whole idea of having a law is to FORCE people who disagree with
> > you to do what you want.
>
> Silly me.  And here I thought that the whole idea of having a law was to
> protect individual liberties and promote general welfare.

That may the idea of law, but from a practical standpoint, laws just
about everywhere are primarily to force compliance from people who
disagree.

> > The idea that these employers will "implement AA in a fair and
> > rational manner" is ludicrous.
>
> True enough.  Which is why we need legislation.  It's pretty clear that
> telling employers that discrimination is morally repugnant is not enough.
>
> > Most laws are full of loopholes, irrational provisions, and nasty
> > side effects. People who disapprove of the law will of course take
> > advantage of this.  All of this is utterly predicatble. If you
> > complain that a law isn't having the effect you envisioned, the fault
> > is in the law, not the public.
>
> True again, but I don't see that as justification for not trying to right
> some grossly obvious wrongs.
> --
You missed the point Melinda --- forcing people to do things only works
if 1) they already agree with you or 2) you have a sufficiently intrusive
government to force them.  If enforced selectively, the law will create
even more problems than not having the law at all.

mfs@mhuxr.UUCP (SIMON) (06/28/85)

> The whole idea of having a law is to FORCE people who disagree with
> you to do what you want.  The whole idea of AA legislation is to
> force employers who want to hire in a governmentally-approved manner.

Note that the law only FORCES employers to offer equal opportunity.
AA plans are arrived at "voluntarily", with more or less governmental
arm twisting. MOST often, the arm twisting occurs because the employer
refuses to stop conscious and unconscious discriminatory practices.

> The idea that these employers will "implement AA in a fair and
> rational manner" is ludicrous.  The government is trying to force
> them to do something they don't want to do, so they're trying to
> wriggle out -- just as YOU would do if the government tried to force
> YOU to do something you thought was wrong.

You have just pointed out the necessity of AA. The law mandates equal
opportunity. Discriminatory employers refuse to implement the law fairly.
(Just saying "you can't discriminate" DOES NOT WORK, historically)
So now what. Should Government, which theoretically also represents
those discriminated agains, just say "too bad, we tried, but those evil
employers just won't stop" ? Racist and sexist people will continue to be
so. However, they should, they MUST not be allowed to impose their
prejudices on others.

Marcel Simon

csdf@mit-vax.UUCP (Charles Forsythe) (07/01/85)

In article <363@mhuxr.UUCP> mfs@mhuxr.UUCP (SIMON) writes:
>arm twisting. MOST often, the arm twisting occurs because the employer
>refuses to stop conscious and unconscious discriminatory practices.

Oh is just sooooooooooooooooo easy, isn't it. A story:

A few years ago, the Massachusetts Committee Against Discrimination paid
my father (who was in charge of hiring) a visit. In the five years my
father had had this position, he had not hired a single black. They
wanted him to know they weren't pleased.

Pause to think about this situation a moment.

He showed them his files. In the course of the five years, only one
black had even applied for a job and was *clearly* not qualified (no
degree is special education). 87% of his employees were women.

My conclusion: MCAD is a good thing. The people who work for it must be
stupid as all hell, though. I worked for a computer company last summer:
150 employees, all white and they've never been "visited".

Comments?

--
Charles Forsythe
CSDF@MIT-VAX

mfs@mhuxr.UUCP (SIMON) (07/05/85)

> A few years ago, the Massachusetts Committee Against Discrimination paid
> my father (who was in charge of hiring) a visit. In the five years my
> father had had this position, he had not hired a single black. They
> wanted him to know they weren't pleased.
>
> He showed them his files. In the course of the five years, only one
> black had even applied for a job and was *clearly* not qualified (no
> degree is special education). 87% of his employees were women.
>
> My conclusion: MCAD is a good thing. The people who work for it must be
> stupid as all hell, though. I worked for a computer company last summer:
> 150 employees, all white and they've never been "visited".
>
> Charles Forsythe

You have not given the end of the story. I assume that the MCAD, after
looking at your father's files, went away satisfied that no discrimination
had occurred (they could also look at whether or not your father had made some
effort at advertising his firm as open to black employees, something
I also assume he had done) Given that, I'd say the system worked.
Your father made good faith efforts to integrate his work force, sexually
and racially, which is all that is required of him under the law.
No government can and should hold the lack of applicants against him
*in a good faith recruiting effort* environment.

As for the employees of MCAD being stupid. Maybe you're right. Maybe there
is too few of them for an effective policing job. However, the company
you mention, which I'll again assume (lots of assuming; that'll get me
in trouble...) was all white on purpose, is reason for the existence
of such a government body, wouldn't you say?

Marcel Simon

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (07/05/85)

> > The whole idea of having a law is to FORCE people who disagree with
> > you to do what you want.  The whole idea of AA legislation is to
> > force employers who want to hire in a governmentally-approved manner.
> >
> Note that the law only FORCES employers to offer equal opportunity.
> AA plans are arrived at "voluntarily", with more or less governmental
> arm twisting. MOST often, the arm twisting occurs because the employer
> refuses to stop conscious and unconscious discriminatory practices.

I'm sure glad you put that word "voluntarily" in quotes, because the
arm twisting (threats to cut off contracts) is not *quite* the same as
a truly voluntary situation.  In the case of colleges, though, the
government requires colleges to abide by EEO and AA rules, even if the
college has no control over receiving federal funds (e.g. students
receiving federal grants which go directly the student).  While I would
agree that usually the problem is an employer who is engaged in
discriminatory practices, it is unfair to those employers who are not
discriminating, and just happen to have a low percentage of the
"right" groups.

> > The idea that these employers will "implement AA in a fair and
> > rational manner" is ludicrous.  The government is trying to force
> > them to do something they don't want to do, so they're trying to
> > wriggle out -- just as YOU would do if the government tried to force
> > YOU to do something you thought was wrong.
> >
> You have just pointed out the necessity of AA. The law mandates equal
> opportunity. Discriminatory employers refuse to implement the law fairly.
> (Just saying "you can't discriminate" DOES NOT WORK, historically)
> So now what. Should Government, which theoretically also represents
> those discriminated agains, just say "too bad, we tried, but those evil
> employers just won't stop" ? Racist and sexist people will continue to be
> so. However, they should, they MUST not be allowed to impose their
> prejudices on others.
>
> Marcel Simon

The history of drug prohibition in this country should be a warning to
everyone: if a significant portion of the population disapproves of a
law or policy, the only way to actually make it work is a police state.