[net.women] Comparable worth -- what I suggest instead

flink@umcp-cs.UUCP (Paul V. Torek) (06/30/85)

Why can't feminist spokeswomen accept what I'm saying?  Does the
need to justify their suggested government action blind them to the
problems their solution doesn't address?  (I don my asbestos suit...)

One of the reasons -- the biggest, I'll bet -- for the "59 cents"
wage gap is that girls/women are DISCOURAGED BY SOCIETY from taking
certain jobs; jobs that are considered "men's work".  If women are
pushed into a narrow range of jobs -- creating a much larger supply
of such workers than there would be if women were supported in
whatever free choice they made -- it follows as the night upon the
day that they will be paid less than men.  This is so obvious that
I shouldn't have to explain it, but here goes.

Picture, if you will, two societies, A and B, in a world where there
are only 4 jobs:  hunter, gatherer, toolmaker, and housebuilder.  In
society A, men and women are free to choose any job; their families
support them regardless of their decision; nobody tells women that
hunting is "men's work", etc.  The 40,000 people in society A are
evenly split among the jobs, and they pay nearly equally.  In B,
women are brought up to be gatherers only; everything else is
discouraged.  Although the environment, consumer tastes for meat
vs plants, etc. are exactly the same for societies A and B, there
are 19,000 gatherers (almost all women) in B.  So guess what? --
supply and demand dictate that the price of veggies is lower in
B; fewer veggies can be gathered per worker-hour (diminishing
returns); thus gatherers receive terrible wages!

Society B's problem can't be solved by mandating "comparable worth"
pay schedules, though that might help remedy discrimination by bosses
of gathering companies (OK, so there's a 5th job).  Society B
must become more like society A, else comparable worth legislation
will only result in a lot of unemployed gatherers (plus a few well-
paid ones).  The moral for our society is clear (I hope).

So why aren't feminists raising hell (MORE hell than they raise
over "comparable worth") over the way girls are brought up to be
qualified for, and interested in, only "women's work"?

--Paul "Turn up those flames -- I hate cold weather!" Torek

cs1@oddjob.UUCP (Cheryl Stewart) (07/03/85)

In article <543@umcp-cs.UUCP> flink@maryland.UUCP (Paul V. Torek) writes:
>One of the reasons -- the biggest, I'll bet -- for the "59 cents"
>wage gap is that girls/women are DISCOURAGED BY SOCIETY from taking
>certain jobs; jobs that are considered "men's work".  If women are
>pushed into a narrow range of jobs -- creating a much larger supply
>of such workers than there would be if women were supported in
>whatever free choice they made -- it follows as the night upon the
>day that they will be paid less than men.  This is so obvious that
>I shouldn't have to explain it, but here goes.

  < many valid statements about supply & demand >

>So why aren't feminists raising hell (MORE hell than they raise
>over "comparable worth") over the way girls are brought up to be
>qualified for, and interested in, only "women's work"?

A better question might be "why aren't feminists raising more hell over
the way boys are brought up to be qualified and interested in,
only "men's work"?

Paul, you tell mothers and fathers across this nation how to raise
their children, and see what kind of response you get.

You can't legislate the way people raise their children--you can't
even make suggestions to some parents without risking having your
teeth pulled out of your head and pushed into your eyesockets.

It's been my experience that people raise their girls to be "sugar
and spice" for three reasons.  The least thoughtful ones do it because
they think that that's the way it should be.  The more thoughtful
ones know that women are discriminated against in "men's jobs" and
don't want their girls to be disappointed by trying for one.  By
eliminating discrimination, citizens feel more free to raise their
daughters to take on a man's work.  During the oil crisis, I knew
several women in college whos parents were strongly encouraging
them to go into geology, petroleum engineering and land management
(lot of good that does now, during the oil glut).  I honestly
don't think that these parents would have encouraged their daughters
to major in such "dirty, dangerous" topics had there been no anti-
discrimatory or affirmative action laws passed.  People raise their
children to be successful.  If employers make it so the only way
a woman is going to "make it" is by starving in a bad job or marrying,
then people will raise their daughters to marry, and to have "something
to fall back on if the marriage fails."  Oh, and the third reason
people raise their daughters to be "sugar and spice" is that it's
easier--you don't have to help her with her math homework, or drive
her to little league practice, and what's more, you get extra help
around the house!  How nice!  And she'll stay at or near home,
maybe even go to that nice community college down the block!  Help
keep the extended family together after the boys are grown and
gone away!  Me, I'd rather have my teeth pulled out of my head and
pushed into my eyesockets.

I agree that equality should start at home.  But the home is the first
place of training for the outside world.  And if the outside world dictates
inequality, then parents will raise their kids to be successful in an
unjust world.  The only way to get parents to raise their daughters
to be successful in "man's jobs" is to make it clear to those parents
that their daughters won't be denied those jobs on the basis of sex
once they're out of college (an increasingly costly investment in any
child).

Paul, for these reasons, I believe that your suggestion that feminists
go around telling other people how to raise their children would be
ineffective and counterproductive.  What if they all agreed only to
find that their daughters were chronically unemployed because of discriminatory
hiring practices?  Or that the companies involved created special
jobs for women with advanced techical & scientific training, so as to
get the work out of them while paying less?  (This I have seen with my
own two eyes.)  This is exactly what companies did when a lot of women
were suddenly qualified for clerical work (they'd learned how to read &
write, and add columns of numbers).  The position of Secretary was
made into "women's work" -- it had previously been a man's job, and a
steppingstone to higher management.

Fair-minded people across the nation advocate comparable worth legislation.
Too bad you're not one of them.

                                        Cheryl Stewart
--

gadfly@ihu1m.UUCP (Gadfly) (07/03/85)

--
> Why can't feminist spokeswomen accept what I'm saying? ...
>
> One of the reasons -- the biggest, I'll bet -- for the "59 cents"
> wage gap is that girls/women are DISCOURAGED BY SOCIETY from taking
> certain jobs; jobs that are considered "men's work"...
>
> So why aren't feminists raising hell (MORE hell than they raise
> over "comparable worth") over the way girls are brought up to be
> qualified for, and interested in, only "women's work"?
>
> --Paul "Turn up those flames -- I hate cold weather!" Torek

What makes you think they're not, Paul?  We attack the mythology
through its institutions.  (How else can you do it, except by writing
books that you don't read or speaking at rallies you don't attend?)
One way to get young girls interested in non-traditional work is to
have more women for them to see in non-traditional roles.  And thus
feminists' passionate support for affirmative action programs, and
of course, abortion rights.   The oppression of women is an insidious
cycle of restrictive upbringing and constricted thinking.  We try to
break it anywhere we can.

There is a substantial amount of feminist literature dealing with
the causes of women's restrictive roles in western society,
incidentally.  I heartily recommend (for about the 5th time in this
newsgroup) Dorothy Dinnerstein's "The Mermaid and the Minotaur".
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****

flink@umcp-cs.UUCP (Paul V. Torek) (07/06/85)

In article <833@oddjob.UUCP> cs1@oddjob.UUCP (Cheryl Stewart) writes:
>You can't legislate the way people raise their children--you can't
>even make suggestions to some parents without risking having your
>teeth pulled out of your head and pushed into your eyesockets.

I'm not talking about legislation.  As far as the teeth-and-eyes,
I think it's worth the risk...

>It's been my experience that people raise their girls to be "sugar
>and spice" for three reasons.  The least thoughtful ones do it because
>they think that that's the way it should be.  The more thoughtful
>ones know that women are discriminated against in "men's jobs" and
>don't want their girls to be disappointed by trying for one. [...]

I support laws prohibiting discrimination (I recognize it's hard to
enforce, but it's something).  Also, there are market pressures against
discrimination (simply put, it hurts your company to forgo using the
full potential of women employees).  If there are few women in a field,
there will probably be enough nondiscriminatory employers (since there
only need to be a few) to hire them at fair wages (or slighly below,
given that the women have few alternative employers to turn to).  I
don't think thoughtful parents will discourage their girls from "men's
work" for the girls' own good, because that *wouldn't* be for their
good.  I.e., women are better off in "men's jobs" *in spite of extra
discrimination* because of the oversupply of workers in "women's jobs".
Check the facts -- I think you'll find that women trained for "men's
work" make more, on average, than those trained for "women's work".

>Fair-minded people across the nation advocate comparable worth legislation.
>Too bad you're not one of them.

I don't like the fact, nor do I evade the fact, that discrimination
happens and makes people's lives worse.  But the comparable worth cure
is worse than the disease -- it will result in gross economic distortions
based on biased and subjective notions of "worth", while condemning
many "women's work"ers to unemployment or underemployment.