[net.women] rape and other assorted stuff

frye@cuuxa.UUCP (frye) (05/28/85)

Is Chuck Ferrara into bondage?(-:)Never mind, I don't wanna know.

Self defence may have to get violent in some instances. I just
feel that if I have to get violent to defend myself, the other
guy's gonna wish he hadn't made me stoop to his level. I believe
it was Sarah Dugan ( please correst me if I'm wrong) who said
that there is a difference between having the means and actually
using it. I personally feel that if a lady shoots a rapist in
the knee and (please take of the high heels next) gets the hell
outa there, she won't have too much trouble with that clown any
more. I also believe that the women that we are thinking about
on the subject would not just blow someone away just to be doing
something (i.e. she got bored). The women who would do that don't
deserve our concern. As to legal ramifications--- I personally
would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6, and would tell
that feeling to the judge. Also, I have taught several women how
to shoot. Most have the attitude that would cause them to shoot
only if the assailant followed when the lady tried to escape. I
like that attitude and would teach a person of that persuasion
more readily than someone with a harder more agressive attitude.
I think this will probably cover Sanjay Tikku's posting about
how I'd feel to occupy "Bernies" shoes. I know a guy who was
riding public transportation and also was accosted (sp?) with
the intent to relieve him of his money. When he came up with
"iron" instead, his assailants suddenly disappeared out the back
door. One almost lit himself off on the third rail. My friend
never had to fire a shot. Bernie probably wouldn't have had to
either but the only one who knows is him. I feel that one should
do whatever needs to be done to survive. I don't think our state
and federal governments care whether or not a women gets raped
but, I do. As I said before, I love women 'cause I owe one nine
months carrying charges and the milk bill.

Sorry to make this thing so long. Also sorry to make it read
a bit on the scattered side. I've been interrupted about 3
times while writing this thing---Now to go home---where's home?
Oh, yeah.

Don't drink the milk? Sal Who?

					-Tom Frye-

ee171ael@sdcc3.UUCP (GEOFFREY KIM) (06/13/85)

The best means of self defense, for a woman being raped, is a good swift
eyejab.  It takes hardly any skill and hardly any strength.  Any weak
woman can maim a would be rapist with a quick double eye jab.  Of course
you would suffer from guilt--blinding a person for life, but hey its better
than being raped.

Remember, get a little courage and ZZZZZAPPPPP.
Poke the person in the eye.

Larry G. Kim

sunny@sun.uucp (Ms. Sunny Kirsten) (06/14/85)

> The best means of self defense, for a woman being raped, is a good swift
> eyejab.  It takes hardly any skill and hardly any strength.  Any weak
> woman can maim a would be rapist with a quick double eye jab.  Of course
> you would suffer from guilt--blinding a person for life, but hey its better
> than being raped.
>
> Remember, get a little courage and ZZZZZAPPPPP.
> Poke the person in the eye.
>
> Larry G. Kim

That's right... the 100 lb weakling with her arms pinned against the asphalt
by the 200 lb guy who's got his weight over her so she can't move them at all.
Why are we still going around in circles?  There IS no defense in many cases.
The only way to end rape is for all the bigger more dominant men in the
world to recognize the simple fact that they haven't got the right to do that
to women.  Men have to respect women, and stop treating them like 2nd class
citizens.  The point is that rape is not a women's issue.  Women have very
little to do or say about it, because WOMEN CAN NEVER STOP RAPE!
Only MEN can STOP RAPE-ing.  Women don't have the strength nor power to stop it.
				Sunny
--
{ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sun!sunny (Ms. Sunny Kirsten)

sed408@ihlpg.UUCP (s. dugan) (06/17/85)

> > Remember, get a little courage and ZZZZZAPPPPP.
> > Poke the person in the eye.
> >
> > Larry G. Kim
>
> That's right... the 100 lb weakling with her arms pinned against the asphalt
> by the 200 lb guy who's got his weight over her so she can't move them at all.
> Why are we still going around in circles?  There IS no defense in many cases.
> The only way to end rape is for all the bigger more dominant men in the
> world to recognize the simple fact that they haven't got the right to do that
> to women.  Men have to respect women, and stop treating them like 2nd class
> citizens.  The point is that rape is not a women's issue.  Women have very
> little to do or say about it, because WOMEN CAN NEVER STOP RAPE!
> Only MEN can STOP RAPE-ing.  Women don't have the strength nor power to stop it.
> 				Sunny
> --
> {ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sun!sunny (Ms. Sunny Kirsten)

While I agree, whole-heartedly, that men don't have the right to rape women, I
also think that there is something we, as women, can do about it.  There are a
lot of things, actually:

	1)	Educate as many men as possible about our (women as a group) feelings
	about rape.

	2)  Learn to defend ourselves.  Not all potential rapists are twice as big
	and twice as strong as their intended victims.  Intimidation is usually
	their biggest weapon (excluding guns, knives, etc).  Learning how to kick a
	man in the groin, shins, instep or whatever it takes may not only save your
	sanity, it might even save your life.

	3)  Raise our sons and daughters to have respect for EVERYONE.  We might not
	wipe out rape in our lifetimes, but we might be able to put a big dent in
	it.

I finally learned how to defend myself and I'm glad I did!  I managed to fight
off three attacks in two months!  I don't know if they were attempted rapes or
attempted robberies.  I don't think it really matters.  The point is that I
learned to value myself enough to fight for my dignity.  After submitting to
two rapes, it really helped restore my self-esteem to know that I wasn't
forever a victim.  That was actually the best therapy I had, although I don't
actually recomend it.
--

Sarah E. Dugan
"LET ME OUT OF HERE - I WANT TO GO HOME!"

# AT&T Bell Labs IH 1D-408                The Forest (home)               #
# Naperville-Wheaton Rd.                  1353 Crab Apple Court  Apt. 101 #
# Naperville, Illinois  60566             Naperville, Illinois  60540     #
# (312) 979 - 5545                        (312) 355 - 0445                #

sed408@ihlpg.UUCP (s. dugan) (06/17/85)

From sed408 Mon Jun 17 08:12:29 1985
To: ihnp4!oddjob!gargoyle!cs1
Subject: Re: rape and other assorted stuff

Cheryl,

I guess I left out some important information in my postings.  All the violence
in my life occurred while I was living in Minneapolis, Minnesota.  I lived in a
pretty rough neighborhood at the time because I was really broke.  I had left
my husband because of the violence in our relationship.  I had very little
money and even less self esteem.  I was a scared litte mouse and I think the
second rapist picked up on that.  The other times (the ones that I fought off)
occurred in dark, lonely places very late at night.  I was ggoing through
counselling at the time and managed the courage and self-esteem to fight back.
You can't immagine how effective a knee in the groin is until you actually use
it!!!!

No, Naperville is not a rough place.  I feel perfectly comfortable walking
around my neighborhood at 11:00 or 12:00 at night!  After living in
Minneapolis and being afraid even in the day time, this is a real treat.  I
was born here in Naperville.  I moved to Minnesota to go to college and stayed
nine years.  I just moved back here two years ago.  Boy has it changed!  Still,
it's good to be back.

Thanks for the good thoughts.  A spell would be really nice.  I know a lot of
people who could use it!

Thanks,

Sarah E. Dugan
"You have to kiss a lot of frogs
before you find a prince."
..

--
Sarah E. Dugan
"Easy Does It, But *DO* It"

# AT&T Bell Labs IH 1D-408                The Forest (home)               #
# Naperville-Wheaton Rd.                  1353 Crab Apple Court  Apt. 101 #
# Naperville, Illinois  60566             Naperville, Illinois  60540     #
# (312) 979 - 5545                        (312) 355 - 0445                #

sed408@ihlpg.UUCP (s. dugan) (06/17/85)

Oops!  I goofed.  I just posted a message to Cheryl (I think she's at
the U of Chicago, but I'm not sure).  I sent it out over the net because my
net couldn't find her for some reason.  I meant to add a line or two to it in
explaination.  Sorry about that.  Anyway, what I said may help clear up some
of my previous postings.

--
Sarah E. Dugan
"Easy Does It, But *DO* It"

todd@SCINEWS.UUCP (Todd Jones) (06/19/85)

> world to recognize the simple fact that they haven't got the right to do that
> to women.  Men have to respect women, and stop treating them like 2nd class
> citizens.  The point is that rape is not a women's issue.  Women have very
> little to do or say about it, because WOMEN CAN NEVER STOP RAPE!
> Only MEN can STOP RAPE-ing.  Women don't have the strength nor power to stop it.
> 				Sunny
> --
> {ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sun!sunny (Ms. Sunny Kirsten)

Oh Sunny! Don't look now, but I think you may be about to get flamed
by all those smaller, less dominant, less strong and less powerful
women. Better break out the asbestos suit!

   ||   ||
   [ O-O ]       Todd Jones
    \ ^ /        {decvax,akgua}!mcnc!rti-sel!scirtp!todd
    | _ |
    |___|

FLAME ME IF YOU DARE!

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (06/21/85)

> > The best means of self defense, for a woman being raped, is a good swift
> > eyejab.  It takes hardly any skill and hardly any strength.  Any weak
> > woman can maim a would be rapist with a quick double eye jab.  Of course
> > you would suffer from guilt--blinding a person for life, but hey its better
> > than being raped.
> >
> > Remember, get a little courage and ZZZZZAPPPPP.
> > Poke the person in the eye.
> >
> > Larry G. Kim
>
> That's right... the 100 lb weakling with her arms pinned against the asphalt
> by the 200 lb guy who's got his weight over her so she can't move them at all.
> Why are we still going around in circles?  There IS no defense in many cases.
> The only way to end rape is for all the bigger more dominant men in the
> world to recognize the simple fact that they haven't got the right to do that
> to women.  Men have to respect women, and stop treating them like 2nd class
> citizens.  The point is that rape is not a women's issue.  Women have very
> little to do or say about it, because WOMEN CAN NEVER STOP RAPE!
> Only MEN can STOP RAPE-ing.  Women don't have the strength nor power to stop it.
> 				Sunny
> --
> {ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sun!sunny (Ms. Sunny Kirsten)

Gee, Sunny, I think you need to keep up with rapidly improving technology.
Samuel Colt perfected a high-tech device just last century which makes a
100 pound weakling (regardless of sex) the equal of a 200 pound ogre.  It's
called a firearm.  Go ahead!  Improve the species!  Scatter whatever it is
that a rapist keeps in his brain cavity all over the sidewalk!

        "God made men --- Col. Colt made them equal."

gmack@denelvx.UUCP (Gregg Mackenzie) (06/22/85)

> Only MEN can STOP RAPE-ing.  Women don't have the strength nor power to stop it.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^	Sunny

Sunny,

Both you and Ginger have indicated that it is our (men's) resposibility to
solve the problem.  I have yet to see any suggestions from anyone, aside
from the obvious legal and legislative solutions.  Forgive my ignorance,
please.  However, I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Gregg Mackenzie
denelcor!gmack

edhall@randvax.UUCP (Ed Hall) (06/24/85)

From Clayton Cramer, quoting Sunny@sun:
> > That's right... the 100 lb weakling with her arms pinned against the asphalt
> > by the 200 lb guy who's got his weight over her so she can't move them at all.
> > Why are we still going around in circles?  There IS no defense in many cases.
> > The only way to end rape is for all the bigger more dominant men in the
> > world to recognize the simple fact that they haven't got the right to do that
> > to women.  Men have to respect women, and stop treating them like 2nd class
> > citizens.  The point is that rape is not a women's issue.  Women have very
> > little to do or say about it, because WOMEN CAN NEVER STOP RAPE!
> > Only MEN can STOP RAPE-ing.  Women don't have the strength nor power to stop it.
> >                               Sunny

> Gee, Sunny, I think you need to keep up with rapidly improving technology.
> Samuel Colt perfected a high-tech device just last century which makes a
> 100 pound weakling (regardless of sex) the equal of a 200 pound ogre.  It's
> called a firearm.  Go ahead!  Improve the species!  Scatter whatever it is
> that a rapist keeps in his brain cavity all over the sidewalk!
>
>        "God made men --- Col. Colt made them equal."

That's right, Clayton.  Carry a gun so that the 200lb guy can blow you
away after he finishes with you.  What you gun-loving folks seem to
ignore is the fact that it takes a free hand and a bit of elbow room,
not to mention some time to aim.  The chances of you managing to pull
out a gun and shoot someone who is attempting to--and capable of--
physically overwhelming you is a lot smaller than the chance that
they'll wrest the gun away from you first.  Why arm your assailant
if they aren't armed already?

		-Ed Hall
		decvax!randvax!edhall

zubbie@ihlpl.UUCP (Jeanette Zobjeck) (06/25/85)

> Gee, Sunny, I think you need to keep up with rapidly improving technology.
> Samuel Colt perfected a high-tech device just last century which makes a
> 100 pound weakling (regardless of sex) the equal of a 200 pound ogre.  It's
> called a firearm.  Go ahead!  Improve the species!  Scatter whatever it is
> that a rapist keeps in his brain cavity all over the sidewalk!
>
>         "God made men --- Col. Colt made them equal."

The apparent lack of the   use of that same cranial cavity  and the ocular
facilty with which it is equipped  seem  to allow this kind of reasoning
to flourish.(sp)

Since most people who own guns for self defense have difficulty hitting
the side of a barn while on a firing range how do you expect them to
be "equalized" in a situation where everything which happens moves so
terribly fast.

From what I have heard and read in the news accounts of rapes the majority
of attacks begin from behind and so the "colt equalizer" is of little or
no use at all unless the individual is walking along with the weapon in
her hand, safety off, and a round in the chamber and the hammer cocked.

Maybe I'm wrong though......

Tell you what.... Arm 100 women in any city you like, or small town,
and then walk up and say something like   "Nice evening isnt BANG".

jeanette l. zobjeck
ihnp4!ihlpl!zubbie

The preceding thoughts have been brought to you through the courtesy of
Murgatroyd's Gun Shop.
The opinions are my own.

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (06/27/85)

> From Clayton Cramer, quoting Sunny@sun:
> > > That's right... the 100 lb weakling with her arms pinned against the asphalt
> > > by the 200 lb guy who's got his weight over her so she can't move them at all.
> > > Why are we still going around in circles?  There IS no defense in many cases.
> > > The only way to end rape is for all the bigger more dominant men in the
> > > world to recognize the simple fact that they haven't got the right to do that
> > > to women.  Men have to respect women, and stop treating them like 2nd class
> > > citizens.  The point is that rape is not a women's issue.  Women have very
> > > little to do or say about it, because WOMEN CAN NEVER STOP RAPE!
> > > Only MEN can STOP RAPE-ing.  Women don't have the strength nor power to stop it.
> > >                               Sunny
>
> > Gee, Sunny, I think you need to keep up with rapidly improving technology.
> > Samuel Colt perfected a high-tech device just last century which makes a
> > 100 pound weakling (regardless of sex) the equal of a 200 pound ogre.  It's
> > called a firearm.  Go ahead!  Improve the species!  Scatter whatever it is
> > that a rapist keeps in his brain cavity all over the sidewalk!
> >
> >        "God made men --- Col. Colt made them equal."
>
> That's right, Clayton.  Carry a gun so that the 200lb guy can blow you
> away after he finishes with you.  What you gun-loving folks seem to
> ignore is the fact that it takes a free hand and a bit of elbow room,
> not to mention some time to aim.  The chances of you managing to pull
> out a gun and shoot someone who is attempting to--and capable of--
> physically overwhelming you is a lot smaller than the chance that
> they'll wrest the gun away from you first.  Why arm your assailant
> if they aren't armed already?
>
> 		-Ed Hall
> 		decvax!randvax!edhall

This is inconsistent.  If you need "time to aim", the rapist is far enough
away that you still have "a free hand and a bit of elbow room"; if he's
close enough to be a threat to you bare handed, you need no time to aim.
Also, I doubt most rapists would continue an attack against someone who
demonstrates a capability and willingness to kill.

Rape and other violent crimes are deterred almost daily in this country
by the use of firearms; news accounts of such actions are quite common.

sigma@usl.UUCP (Spiros Triantafyllopoulos) (06/27/85)

>> that a rapist keeps in his brain cavity all over the sidewalk!
>>
>>        "God made men --- Col. Colt made them equal."
>
>That's right, Clayton.  Carry a gun so that the 200lb guy can blow you
>away after he finishes with you.  What you gun-loving folks seem to
>ignore is the fact that it takes a free hand and a bit of elbow room,
>not to mention some time to aim.  The chances of you managing to pull
>out a gun and shoot someone who is attempting to--and capable of--
>physically overwhelming you is a lot smaller than the chance that
>they'll wrest the gun away from you first.  Why arm your assailant
>if they aren't armed already?
>
>		-Ed Hall
>		decvax!randvax!edhall
Naw... The rapist does not appear by a scroll of create monster :-)
but follows the victim for a while. If the victim is busy listening
to Maddona (sp?) or any other noise on the Yuppie-man (walkman for
us with toyotas) then she can not sense the man coming for her.
There are exceptions, like in an elevator/narrow corridor, jump
from a dark spot, etc, but, *i think* that most rapists follow
their victims for a while before attacking. Then, Col. Colt
can make the difference. I doubt if any sunday rapist would want to
go on if he saw the iron or heard a blast from it. If you have to
wait to fight body-to-body, the Colt won't do any good, though.
Act quickly...
Spiros
(still no comments on posting regarding Orientals. Is everyone ignoring me?)

desjardins@h-sc1.UUCP (marie desjardins) (06/28/85)

> Gee, Sunny, I think you need to keep up with rapidly improving technology.
> Samuel Colt perfected a high-tech device just last century which makes a
> 100 pound weakling (regardless of sex) the equal of a 200 pound ogre.  It's
> called a firearm.  Go ahead!  Improve the species!  Scatter whatever it is
> that a rapist keeps in his brain cavity all over the sidewalk!
>
>         "God made men --- Col. Colt made them equal."

I would think that by the time a woman realized she was about to be raped
the 200 pound ogre would have already grabbed her.  I sincerely doubt he
would give his victim even enough time to try to run if he could help it.
And I would be scared shitless he would just grab the gun out of my purse
and threaten me with it.  (I know, I'm a spineless wimp.)  And as many
people have said before, I'm not sure that most people are really capable
of shooting someone, with no hesitation (and she who hesitates is lost).
I don't think I am (yep, a real jellyfish).  I don't know what the answer
is for people like me.  A self-defense class would certainly be a good
first step.

	marie

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (06/28/85)

> > Gee, Sunny, I think you need to keep up with rapidly improving technology.
> > Samuel Colt perfected a high-tech device just last century which makes a
> > 100 pound weakling (regardless of sex) the equal of a 200 pound ogre.  It's
> > called a firearm.  Go ahead!  Improve the species!  Scatter whatever it is
> > that a rapist keeps in his brain cavity all over the sidewalk!
> >
> >         "God made men --- Col. Colt made them equal."
> >

> Since most people who own guns for self defense have difficulty hitting
> the side of a barn while on a firing range how do you expect them to
> be "equalized" in a situation where everything which happens moves so
> terribly fast.

I'm sorry you know such terrible shots.  They must be pretty bad, because
I don't consider myself a particularly capable marksman, and I have no
problem hitting a rapist-sized target at 15 yards.  More important, if
you can't shoot a rapist at the more realistic distance of five feet,
I doubt you can drive a car successfully either.

> From what I have heard and read in the news accounts of rapes the majority
> of attacks begin from behind and so the "colt equalizer" is of little or
> no use at all unless the individual is walking along with the weapon in
> her hand, safety off, and a round in the chamber and the hammer cocked.

From what I have read, a great many rapes (and a lot of homicides against
women) occur during residential burglaries.  I have also read that rapists
frequently approach the victim before the rape and see whether the reaction
they get is a reaction of fear or not.

Incidentally, the only useful way to carry a semiauto pistol is with a
round in the chamber and the hammer cocked.  ("Excuse me sir, I need to
pull back the slide and chamber a round.  Could you please wait a moment?")

> Maybe I'm wrong though......
>
> Tell you what.... Arm 100 women in any city you like, or small town,
> and then walk up and say something like   "Nice evening isnt BANG".
>
> jeanette l. zobjeck
> ihnp4!ihlpl!zubbie

Gee, when I carry a firearm, I don't shoot people for saying "Nice evening".
A woman who has been raped is probably a little more hair-trigger than a
woman who has not been raped --- even then, I sincerely doubt that any but
the most tweaked are going to shoot a man just for saying "Nice evening",
anymore then they are going to spray him with tear gas.

crs@lanl.ARPA (06/28/85)

> > Gee, Sunny, I think you need to keep up with rapidly improving technology.
> > Samuel Colt perfected a high-tech device just last century which makes a
> > 100 pound weakling (regardless of sex) the equal of a 200 pound ogre.  It's
> > called a firearm.  Go ahead!  Improve the species!  Scatter whatever it is
> > that a rapist keeps in his brain cavity all over the sidewalk!
> >
> >         "God made men --- Col. Colt made them equal."
> >

> I would think that by the time a woman realized she was about to be raped
> the 200 pound ogre would have already grabbed her.  I sincerely doubt he
> would give his victim even enough time to try to run if he could help it.
> And I would be scared shitless he would just grab the gun out of my purse
> and threaten me with it.  (I know, I'm a spineless wimp.)  And as many
> people have said before, I'm not sure that most people are really capable
> of shooting someone, with no hesitation (and she who hesitates is lost).
> I don't think I am (yep, a real jellyfish).  I don't know what the answer
> is for people like me.  A self-defense class would certainly be a good
> first step.
>

> 	marie

While I enjoy shooting (mostly skeet) I'm afraid that I agree with
some of the posting that suggest a handgun would be of little use to a
potential rape victim *on the street* for the reasons that Marie and
others have suggested.  For those rapes that occur after the rapist
has broken into you home, it may be a different matter.  I would,
however, suggest a shotgun loaded with small shot (say # 9) rather than
a pistol for several reasons.

	1.  Most people, rapists included, are likely to realize
	that they are more likely to be hit by a shotgun wielding
	resident than by one with a handgun and so may be more
	likely to give up their plans.

	2.  If it comes to a situation where actually shooting is
	called for, the likelihood of hitting the target *is*
	greater with the shotgun.

	3.  While the small shot that I recommended should be
	more than adequate at the close range involved, unlike
	a solid bullet, it is unlikely to penetrate your walls
	and, perhaps, your next door neighbor or some passer by.

If you do choose to use any firearm for self defense, for your own sake
and that of your family and neighbors LEARN TO USE IT and PRACTICE at
a range so that you become sufficiently competent to use it without
blowing your foot off or worse AND sufficiently confident that, if it
becomes necessary to defend yourself, you will neither rush and shoot
some late returning member of your family not delay until a real
housebreaker takes it away from you.  All too often people buy a gun
for self defense and then assume that it's mere possesion will do the
job with no effort on their part -- the view that is so often
portrayed on TV.  Don't believe it.

Owning a firearm is a big responsibility -- treat it accordingly.

One last thing -- Make sure, at the very least, that every member of
your family including children go to the range and see just what a gun
can do and why, therefore, it is not a toy.  The best safety devices
are knowledgeable and careful people.  Get someone who knows to show
you how to handle it safely -- ALL OF YOU.

--
Charlie Sorsby
...!{cmcl2,ihnp4,...}!lanl!crs

zubbie@ihlpl.UUCP (Jeanette Zobjeck) (06/29/85)

> Rape and other violent crimes are deterred almost daily in this country
> by the use of firearms; news accounts of such actions are quite common.

There are also accounts in the news as often of people being wounded or
killed by their own weapons which were takenfrom them by their attacker
and this number also includes police officers and military personnel
who are supposedly better trained in the use of firearms and self-defense
techniques than any ** avaerage ** citizen.

As nearly as I can determine in real-time conversations  (face to face)
with many different people the general type of individual who makes the above
statements falls into one of two groups:

	1) A devout member of the NRA complete with pro-firearms
	bumper stickers.

	2) Someone who has not given thought to the "wild-west theory"
	of social relationships.

	To paraphrase a "fictional charater"  Lazarus Long held
	that if everyone wore a gun as a matter of course he would
	just as soon live where there were no people. Of course
	He held that preferance anyhow so it might not be of much
	value.

                             ~~~
                            (o o)                  ************************
jeanette l. zobjeck |WMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWM  /MWMW|    *    CONSERVE WATER    *
ihnp4!ihlpl!zubbie  |MWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMW | WMWM|    *      -*-*-*-*-*-*-   *
                    _________I_I________|/_____    *     SHOWER WITH A    *
                                                   *         FRIEND       *
                                                   ************************

--

                             ~~~

edhall@randvax.UUCP (Ed Hall) (06/29/85)

> > Only MEN can STOP RAPE-ing.  Women don't have the strength nor power to stop it.
> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^	Sunny
>
> Sunny,
>
> Both you and Ginger have indicated that it is our (men's) resposibility to
> solve the problem.  I have yet to see any suggestions from anyone, aside
> from the obvious legal and legislative solutions.  Forgive my ignorance,
> please.  However, I'm sure I'm not the only one.
>
> Gregg Mackenzie
> denelcor!gmack

She just told you how, Gregg, though indirectly.

For several years, now, feminists have been claiming that rape is nothing
more than an extreme case of attitudes that are common in much of the
male population.  These are the attitudes that women are somehow meant to
be subservient to men (keeping their houses, having their children,
submitting to their sexual needs).  These attitudes fit in with the male
role, a role in which the ability to dominate figures quite heavily.
Also, there are a set of myths about rape, many of which we've discussed
at length in net.women.  And, perhaps most pernicious of all, there is a
cultural tradition of violence in our society, an attraction to it, and
even the tendency to regard violence as potentually sexually arousing.
Some studies have been done--several have been mentioned in net.women--
and more than just feminists are beginning to wonder if perhaps the
attitude of rape is widespread.  I think it is.

It is these things--all of them--that need to change within the minds
of men before rape will end.  When Sunny talked about how ``Only MEN
can stop rape,'' she meant you and me, not just the criminal rapist.
The attitudes, roles, myths, and predilection for violence in men in
general must end.  Men, in their dealings with themselves and with
other men, are the ones with the opportunity to change things.

For the most part the ``legal and legislative'' mechanisms are already in
place, at least in those states who have laws preventing abuse of rape
victims during trials (if you've ever witnessed this sort of thing you'll
agree there is no better word for it than ``abuse'').  The law can only
do so much.  It can't un-rape, nor can it ever fully deter rape.  But,
collectively, men *can* stop rape.

		-Ed Hall
		decvax!randvax!edhall

jla@usl.UUCP (Joe Arceneaux) (07/01/85)

There     has    been  an    amount  of   discussion   concerning  the
usefulness/dangerousness of   carrying  a gun    for defense   against
potential rapists.  What  I am about to say  applies  also, of course,
to protection against other dangers.

The first question  to ask  one's self is "Do  I indeed have a  fairly
reliable  weapon for my defense?"  and if the answer is   no, then one
should avoid to the maximum extent potentially harmful  situations.  I
think  it  is stupid  to ignore such  a basic  question, as apparently
many people do.

A gun may be such a weapon of defense, and so  the issue of whether or
not to carry one is part of  this first question.   Some people may be
quite capable of using  such a weapon, while  certainly  many are not.
I suggest  that  persons considering carrying  a  gun should  do their
best to  determine which category they  fall  into.  Try the following
method.

Go out and buy  a nice water  pistol.  Place it  on your person  where
you  would carry  the real  thing.  Then get  a friend   to go through
various forms  of attacks upon  you,  and see  if   you can squirt the
friend.   Make  the  acted-out  scenarios as  realistic  and varied as
possible.  Decide on the basis of the results.

If the  answer   to the first  question is  "yes," then one  must next
determine in one's mind  a line.  A virtual line,  such that if anyone
crosses it one will take immediate, unhesitating action.  Such a  line
will depend on the situation, as perhaps will the action.  An  example
might be:  a man hassles  a woman through  the course of  the evening,
and the woman decides that IF the guy puts his hands  on her she  will
hit him.  The idea is to have a predetermined  course of action, and a
predetermined  point at  which it will  be applied, no  matter   what.
This can keep one from hesitating until it's too late.
--
				    Joe Arceneaux

				    Lafayette, LA
				    {akgua, ut-sally}!usl!jla

hhs@hou2h.UUCP (H.SHARP) (07/01/85)

is in the parking lot.  The attacker(s) either waits in the car or
in a van parked nearby (pulling the victim into the van), or else
hides underneath the car itself.  The form of self - defense a person
wishes to use is up to that individual; however, I believe awareness
of a situation and good sense must be used in all situations.  This
gives us all at least a fighting chance.
				Take Back The Night!

crs@lanl.ARPA (07/01/85)

> > Since most people who own guns for self defense have difficulty hitting
> > the side of a barn while on a firing range how do you expect them to
> > be "equalized" in a situation where everything which happens moves so
> > terribly fast.
> >
> I'm sorry you know such terrible shots.  They must be pretty bad, because
> I don't consider myself a particularly capable marksman, and I have no
> problem hitting a rapist-sized target at 15 yards.  More important, if
> you can't shoot a rapist at the more realistic distance of five feet,
> I doubt you can drive a car successfully either.

The thing that bothers me about this is *how do you know it is a
rapist* at 5 feet?  I wouldn't imagine that the rapist is going to
make it any more obvious than necessary until close enough to grap his
quarry.  A well trained shooter with a very accessible weapon may be
fast enouth to respond in time under those conditions.  Unfortunately,
too many people don't bother to learn how to use it at all, much less
become proficient with it.  Besides, many of our bigger urban areas,
where I assume a high percentage of rapes occur, have the most
restrictive gun laws -- we wouldn't want law abiding citizens going
around injuring our criminals, would we?  (Criminals aren't bound by
gun laws -- if, after all, you plan to commit murder or armed robbery,
the illegality of your gun is the least of your worries.  But that is
another story.)

I've already suggested a shotgun rather than a handgun for defense in
your home in an earlier article.

While I believe that most, if not all, anti-gun laws are, at best,
misguided, I'm also not convinced that having a lot of undisciplined,
untrained and largely incompetent people running about the streets is
a good idea.  (And, yes, I know that is inconsistent.)

All opinions are, of course, only mine.

--
Charlie Sorsby
...!{cmcl2,ihnp4,...}!lanl!crs

crs@lanl.ARPA (07/02/85)

Oops!

I let several oversights and typos slip into my recent followup.  I
hope the following translation isn't too late to help it make sense.

> The thing that bothers me about this is *how do you know it is a
> rapist* at 5 feet?  I wouldn't imagine that the rapist is going to
> make it any more obvious than necessary until close enough to grap his

grap = grab

> quarry.  A well trained shooter with a very accessible weapon may be
> fast enouth to respond in time under those conditions.  Unfortunately,
> too many people don't bother to learn how to use it at all, much less
> become proficient with it.

"It", of course, is the gun.

> .
> .
> .
>
> While I believe that most, if not all, anti-gun laws are, at best,
> misguided, I'm also not convinced that having a lot of undisciplined,
> untrained and largely incompetent people running about the streets is
> a good idea.  (And, yes, I know that is inconsistent.)

That should have read: "...running about the streets with guns..."

> All opinions are, of course, only mine.

	They still are.

I apologize for any inconvenience to net readers -- I'll try to do
better next time.

--
Charlie Sorsby
...!{cmcl2,ihnp4,...}!lanl!crs

sunny@sun.uucp (Ms. Sunny Kirsten) (07/02/85)

Quote without comment:

	"Alone in her Brady, Tex., home, Pauline Parker answered a
knock at the door and was attacked by a man with a brick.  Though
battered, the elderly woman pulled a pistol and fired, sending the
assailant fleeing. (The Standard Times, San Angelo, Tex. 2/21)"

	"A Cleveland, Tenn., woman was seated in her car in a
shopping mall when a man attempted to steal her purse.  When she
pulled a gun, he fled.  Police arrested and charged a suspect for
attempted grand larceny.  (The Daily Banner, Cleveland, Tenn. 3/21)"

	"An Ithaca, N.Y., college student was cutting through an alley
on his way home late at night when two men jumped him.  The student
pulled a licensed gun and shot and wounded one assailant.  The would-be
robbers were arrested, and the student was not charged.  (The Star-Gazette,
Elmira, N.Y. 3/18)"

	The above quotes from "The Armed Citizen" page of American Hunter,
July 1985 issue.

> > From Clayton Cramer, quoting Sunny@sun:
> >
> > > Gee, Sunny, I think you need to keep up with rapidly improving technology.
> > > Samuel Colt perfected a high-tech device just last century which makes a
> > > 100 pound weakling (regardless of sex) the equal of a 200 pound ogre.  It's
> > > called a firearm.  Go ahead!  Improve the species!  Scatter whatever it is
> > > that a rapist keeps in his brain cavity all over the sidewalk!
> > >
> > >        "God made men --- Col. Colt made them equal."
> >
> > That's right, Clayton.  Carry a gun so that the 200lb guy can blow you
> > away after he finishes with you.  What you gun-loving folks seem to
> > ignore is the fact that it takes a free hand and a bit of elbow room,
> > not to mention some time to aim.  The chances of you managing to pull
> > out a gun and shoot someone who is attempting to--and capable of--
> > physically overwhelming you is a lot smaller than the chance that
> > they'll wrest the gun away from you first.  Why arm your assailant
> > if they aren't armed already?
> >
> > 		-Ed Hall
> > 		decvax!randvax!edhall
>
> This is inconsistent.  If you need "time to aim", the rapist is far enough
> away that you still have "a free hand and a bit of elbow room"; if he's
> close enough to be a threat to you bare handed, you need no time to aim.
> Also, I doubt most rapists would continue an attack against someone who
> demonstrates a capability and willingness to kill.
>
> Rape and other violent crimes are deterred almost daily in this country
> by the use of firearms; news accounts of such actions are quite common.

{ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sun!sunny (Ms. Sunny Kirsten)

sunny@sun.uucp (Ms. Sunny Kirsten) (07/02/85)

> > From what I have heard and read in the news accounts of rapes the majority
> > of attacks begin from behind and so the "colt equalizer" is of little or
> > no use at all unless the individual is walking along with the weapon in
> > her hand, safety off, and a round in the chamber and the hammer cocked.
> >
> Incidentally, the only useful way to carry a semiauto pistol is with a
> round in the chamber and the hammer cocked.  ("Excuse me sir, I need to
> pull back the slide and chamber a round.  Could you please wait a moment?")
>
> > Maybe I'm wrong though......

It is true that the Colt .45 is not very safe to carry unless carried in a
holster with a thumbstrap which blocks the hammer while carried
"cocked and locked", or carried with the chamber empty.  It is also true that
the recoil is too much for many women.  It is also true that few women would
carry one in a holster.  All things considered, it's a poor choice for women
in day-to-day situations, where typical carry is in a purse.

There are however a number of double-action revolvers and autos quite suitable.
Ruger .38 revolvers come to mind, as does the S&W Model 39.

HOWEVER... few women are of the required frame of mind to carry a weapon at all.

				Sunny
--
{ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sun!sunny (Ms. Sunny Kirsten)

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (07/05/85)

> > Incidentally, the only useful way to carry a semiauto pistol is with a
> > round in the chamber and the hammer cocked.  ("Excuse me sir, I need to
> > pull back the slide and chamber a round.  Could you please wait a moment?")
> >
> > > Maybe I'm wrong though......
> > >
> It is true that the Colt .45 is not very safe to carry unless carried in a
> holster with a thumbstrap which blocks the hammer while carried
> "cocked and locked", or carried with the chamber empty.  It is also true that
> the recoil is too much for many women.  It is also true that few women would
> carry one in a holster.  All things considered, it's a poor choice for women
> in day-to-day situations, where typical carry is in a purse.

My wife is no Amazon, but she's a better shot with our .45 than I am.
(Warning to all rapists: do not break into my home when my wife is there.
It will be your last attempt.)  Note: I wasn't seriously recommending a
Colt .45 for carrying on the street; Colt now builds a .380 which is a
little more appropriate.

> There are however a number of double-action revolvers and autos quite suitable.
> Ruger .38 revolvers come to mind, as does the S&W Model 39.
>
> HOWEVER... few women are of the required frame of mind to carry a weapon at all.
>
> 				Sunny

I suspect if women were of the required frame of mind to carry a weapon,
they would be less likely to be annoyed in the petty ways women are hassled
by slimy creeps, because the required frame of mind to carry a weapon is,
"I'm tired of living in fear."  A "please, no crap" attitude would help
a lot.

rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) (07/08/85)

> I'm sorry you know such terrible shots.  They must be pretty bad, because
> I don't consider myself a particularly capable marksman, and I have no
> problem hitting a rapist-sized target at 15 yards.  More important, if
> you can't shoot a rapist at the more realistic distance of five feet,
> I doubt you can drive a car successfully either.
>
> Gee, when I carry a firearm, I don't shoot people for saying "Nice evening".
> A woman who has been raped is probably a little more hair-trigger than a
> woman who has not been raped --- even then, I sincerely doubt that any but
> the most tweaked are going to shoot a man just for saying "Nice evening",
> anymore then they are going to spray him with tear gas.

Well, what do you do when they are five feet away, say "nice evenining", and
begin their attack as soon as you pass?  I suppose you will have a handy "one
case fits all" answer for this scenario?