[net.women] egg/chicken chicken/egg chigg/eckin

jchapman@watcgl.UUCP (john chapman) (06/28/85)

> In article <2102@watcgl.UUCP> jchapman@watcgl.UUCP (john chapman) writes:
> >  Women : aprroximately 50% of the population.  Probably close to that
> >          percentage of the work force.  Average wage: 63% of the average
> >          male wage.  If we assume women are not inherently inferior
> >          to men then we save approx. 25% of the labour cost component
> >          of goods (since we don't give that 50% of the people a 50%
> >          raise) directly by discriminating and suppressing this
> >	  particular group of people.
>
> I do not see how direct discrimination and suppression results in this
> wage gap. The way I see it women have the same choices that exist for

When society : 1) decreases someones selfrespect; 2) continually tells
them that certain positions/jobs are not for them (cause it's mens work);
3) continually tells them that certain kinds of knowledge/abilities
(such as mechanical knowhow and mathematical reasoning) are beyond
their capacities; etc. etc.

Then it is a lot easier to convince them,  as well, that: 1) they are
lucky to have any kind of job so they better not complain if conditions
are poor and pay is low; 2) that they shouldn't even expect to have
a job/career that is rewarding since their primary goal should be to
get married; 3) that it is their responsibility to find a man to
support them and so their wages need not be adequate to support themselves
in reasonable style; 4) there is no point in going on to a higher
education since they are not really equipped for it; and 5) if they do
want a higher education that they should stay out of science and
similar technical areas since they are really not equipped for it.

Note that we are not talking about an adult human being suddenly
being faced with a bunch of bizzare/irrational predjudices and having
a lifetime of experience/knowledge etc upon which to draw in dealing
with them; this is a conditioning process which begins in infancy
when the subject has zero chance to defend themselves.  In addition
until recently anyone who went against conventional behaviour was
socially ostracized to the point where the subject of the conditioning
probably couldn't find any countervailing examples even if they were
aware enough to look for them.

> for men, e.g. finish high school, get a university degree in medicine,
> engineering, or whatever. That a significant percentage of women tend
That just isn't so; women face a lot of obstacles from active harrasment
to the basic fact that they are paid a lot less than men and so are
less likely to be able to afford school.

> to gravitate towards traditionally female careers (e.g. nursing) is
But you see there is part of the problem; we have these traditionally
female jobs and traditionally male jobs and significant pressure is
place upon people to stay in their traditional roles.  For many
people you can replace the word "traditional"  by "expected".
Lest you think sex role training has no significant effect I suggest
you try a small experiment.  Do something that is harmless but that
is definitely outside your normally defined sex role.  Two suggestions
(I am serious by the way): 1) wear a dress and walk down a street and
have a beer in the Georgia (a vancouver bar for those who don't
know), or 2) take a course in some traditionally female topic such
as needlepoint or dressmaking and then make a point of telling people
you know that you are doing so.  Now take the reactions you get and
imagine it every day of you life; even if a women does manage to
overcome this kind of pressure just think of the energy she has to
put into doing so that could have gone elsewhere.  This general
area (discrimination against women) is not something I am an expert on;
perhaps someone in net.women could provide a more convincing case.

> *not* because someone is denying them access to the type of training
> or education that will result in high paying jobs. I suspect it is
> due to the fact that only recently have women either wanted or had
> to have well paying jobs (previously  women were expected to marry
> and, for the most part, be supported by their husbands). Since
> this is a relatively new phenomenon it will take some time before
> a new steady state is reached in which women make up 50% of
> all engineering, medicine, plumbing, etc classes and hence 50% of
> those professions, resulting in the average woman making 100% of what
> the average male makes.
>
> > Who is talking about communism??????? Isn't that a little paranoid?
> > Does a system where everyone is given equal opportunity (and not
> > just lip service to the idea) mean communism?  If a system does not
>
> The key phrase in the above is equal opportunity. As I said above
> that exists for women now. It also exists, to a large extent, for
> any and every group in *this* country. Because a particular group
> has not  taken advantage of the opportunities that exist is no
> reason to raise the bogeyman of discrimination. Consider immigrants
> from some mythical country. It is quite possible that in their
> homeland job training and/or higher education were not given
> much importance. Thus, once in Canada, they find themselves in a
> country where the "old ways" just don't cut it anymore and their
> present economic situation would reflect this. At this point
> some would say that these people are being discriminated against.
> I would totally disagree. They have the  same access to
> training and educational programs as everyone else and if they refuse
If the programs even exist; last I heard your provincial government was
cutting down on the ESL (english as a second language) programs/resources
in the province.
> to recognise the need to be trained and/or educated then even though
> this is a regrettable state of affairs it is by no means discrimination.
>
> In conclusion the question should not be why does group A earn X%
> of what group B does. The question should be *first* is group A doing
> everything that it can to take advantage of the opportunities that
> exist? If this is indeed the case, *then* the matter of disparate earnings

*and* is anyone, in any way, holding those people back from taking
advantage of those opportunities.

> should be looked at, and if necessary some kind of AA policies instituted
> so that group A is properly represented in the various professions and
> job areas.
>
> J.B. Robinson
>
> P.S. As necessitated by my view of Utopia I support easy access to
> job training and *retraining* programs and to post-secondary school
> opportunities in general. I believe that tuition fees for such
> schemes should be very modest (almost, but not quite zero) and that
I think that is an excellent idea. But why not zero?  It seems to
me that society benefits when the average educational/skill level of
the population rises so why not make it free.  In the same way, if
someone has become "obsoleted" and will have to go on welfare why
not just send them to school/retraining for free instead of paying
(probably) years of welfare - it's probably cheaper in the long
run and society gets a newly productive member out of it.

> loans (and maybe grants) be readily available. This is the Jim
Well you have to watch that too; it's a pretty big handicap to come
out of school with $10k-$20k of loans owing.  I chose the alternative
myself and worked my way through, but then it takes quite a bit
longer.
> Robinson theory of helping people to help themselves. It is also a
> good step towards ensuring equality of opportunity and a good way of
> combatting the general notion held by many (who will remain nameless)
> that equality of *result* is the target that we should be shooting for.

As long as everyone truly does have real equality of opportunity then
that would be all I ask for, but I don't think you would claim that
that is what we have now; until then looking at the result is a
reasonable measure of how equal the opportunit really is.

robinson@ubc-cs.UUCP (Jim Robinson) (07/01/85)

In article <2128@watcgl.UUCP> jchapman@watcgl.UUCP (john chapman) writes:
>If the programs even exist; last I heard your provincial government was
>cutting down on the ESL (english as a second language) programs/resources
>in the province.

Unless they changed the rules all immigrants have to know one of the two
official languages. Thus, I would assume that the ESL program was directed
at the children of immigrants. If indeed ESL is the quicker way of
integrating these children into the mainstream, then it would appear
that cutting back on the program was not one of the brighter moves of
the Socreds.

>> P.S. As necessitated by my view of Utopia I support easy access to
>> job training and *retraining* programs and to post-secondary school
>> opportunities in general. I believe that tuition fees for such
>> schemes should be very modest (almost, but not quite zero) and that
>I think that is an excellent idea. But why not zero?  It seems to
>me that society benefits when the average educational/skill level of
>the population rises so why not make it free.  In the same way, if
>someone has become "obsoleted" and will have to go on welfare why
>not just send them to school/retraining for free instead of paying
>(probably) years of welfare - it's probably cheaper in the long
>run and society gets a newly productive member out of it.

I'm philosophically opposed to providing most things absolutely free.
My reasoning is that they are ultimately *not* free and charging a token
fee is as good as way as any to remind the beneficiary of this. Also,
you are less likely to get abuses if the beneficiary has a (small)
investment in his education/medical care/whatever. Thus, a modest $50
to $100 per term fee for university education would be what I'd seek.

As for the suggestion concerning welfare recipients, I'd go a step
further and make school/retraining mandatory for recipients who
are neither physically nor mentally handicapped. The alternative
would be to participate in some kind of community work. Naturally,
recipients with dependents would either have to be excused or it
would be necessary to provide day-care for said dependents. Somehow,
I've never been able to come to grips with a system which *pays* those
so inclined to stay home and kick back.

>As long as everyone truly does have real equality of opportunity then
>that would be all I ask for, but I don't think you would claim that
>that is what we have now; until then looking at the result is a
>reasonable measure of how equal the opportunit really is.

Not entirely true. The  examples of discrimination and suppression
against women that Mr. Chapman makes are not nearly as true now as they
were, say, thirty years ago. Moreover, this type of discrimination
(or cultural bias) is rapidly diminishing. Thus, in my opinion, there
exists a time lag which makes it difficult to look at the economic
situation of *all* women *now* and from that observation determine
the level of opportunity that exists for those women who did not grow up
under those conditions. It would make much more sense to me to look
at the economic situation of women who have been in the workforce for
maybe the last five years, and compare that to the economic situation
of men who have been working for the same five year period. I do not
expect that the women in this sample would be making 100c to every dollar
earned by men but I'm sure it would be significantly more than 62c.

[It might also be useful to determine what kind of a trend exists.
Thus we'd first do as suggested above and compare dollar earnings of
men and women who have been in the workforce for the last five years.
Next we'd look at those people who had been in the workforce for the
last 10 years, and etc. If we end up with a rapidly increasing curve
I'd say there is no urgent problem. On the other hand if this is not
the case then measures of some kind may be needed]

Thus I question Mr. Chapman's apparent solution to the problem
which, if I got it right, was to raise women's salaries by 50%. This
does zippo as far as increasing accessability into the non-traditional
work areas goes. It also meddles in the already over regulated
marketplace. Instead let's first get a *real* idea of where we stand
concerning opportunities for women and then work on the means of
increasing these opportunities if deemed necessary. Solutions
such as "equal pay for work of equal value" are cosmetic, and thus
do not address the real problem.

J.B. Robinson

sophie@mnetor.UUCP (Sophie Quigley) (07/09/85)

> > I do not see how direct discrimination and suppression results in this
> > wage gap. The way I see it women have the same choices that exist for
>
> When society : 1) decreases someones selfrespect; 2) continually tells
> them that certain positions/jobs are not for them (cause it's mens work);
> 3) continually tells them that certain kinds of knowledge/abilities
> (such as mechanical knowhow and mathematical reasoning) are beyond
> their capacities; etc. etc.
>
> Then it is a lot easier to convince them,  as well, that: 1) they are
> lucky to have any kind of job so they better not complain if conditions
> are poor and pay is low; 2) that they shouldn't even expect to have
> a job/career that is rewarding since their primary goal should be to
> get married; 3) that it is their responsibility to find a man to
> support them and so their wages need not be adequate to support themselves
> in reasonable style; 4) there is no point in going on to a higher
> education since they are not really equipped for it; and 5) if they do
> want a higher education that they should stay out of science and
> similar technical areas since they are really not equipped for it.

Thank you John.  Some times being able to distance oneself emotionally
does help one's argument a lot.
--
Sophie Quigley
{allegra|decvax|ihnp4|linus|watmath}!utzoo!mnetor!sophie

clewis@mnetor.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (07/10/85)

>> > I do not see how direct discrimination and suppression results in this
>> > wage gap. The way I see it women have the same choices that exist for
>>
>> When society : 1) decreases someones selfrespect; 2) continually tells
>> them that certain positions/jobs are not for them (cause it's mens work);
>> 3) continually tells them that certain kinds of knowledge/abilities
>> (such as mechanical knowhow and mathematical reasoning) are beyond
>> their capacities; etc. etc.
>>
>> Then it is a lot easier to convince them,  as well, that: 1) they are
>> lucky to have any kind of job so they better not complain if conditions
>> are poor and pay is low; 2) that they shouldn't even expect to have
>> a job/career that is rewarding since their primary goal should be to
>> get married; 3) that it is their responsibility to find a man to
>> support them and so their wages need not be adequate to support themselves
>> in reasonable style; 4) there is no point in going on to a higher
>> education since they are not really equipped for it; and 5) if they do
>> want a higher education that they should stay out of science and
>> similar technical areas since they are really not equipped for it.

I think that this is very true except for one thing - is it "society"
or individuals that are doing this?  When we are talking about employment
and education, I take "society" to primarily mean personnel depts. and
enrollment depts. in business and educational institutions.  I don't
think that is is fair to imply that these groups are primarily responsible
for John's points 1 thru 3.  Particularly because (for some reason)
personnel depts. and enrollment depts. appear to be well above
the 51% women figure.

I think it would be a lot fairer to say that (by and large) it is
another sector of society that are primarily responsible for these
attitudes.  In fact, I very much suspect that the worst offenders in
this area are a person's relatives or friends.  (Particularly in
second generation Canadians originating from some ethnic groups.
Some of these groups still have pre-natal marriages for gawd's sake!)

(BTW: My mother had quite a fight on her hands from her uncles and
grandfather when she wanted to go to University in the early 50's.  She
won, and the discrimination that she found at University was considerably
less than what she found in her own family!)

Other participants (managers, teachers etc.) are, I would suspect, usually
somewhat "more professional" (and probably more "liberal") in their attitudes.
Especially, in the light of what legal responses to institutional
discrimination are now available.  Big corporations take a very dim
view of offenders of the equal access legislation.

How do we handle that kind of familial discrimination?  Compulsory
re-education?  Good grief!  (Sorry Granddad, you have to leave the
nursing home for an hour every day to take a course!)  It's better to
let it die out.

I think that there are many factors in the current fact that certain
groups of women are getting paid less than men doing obviously "similar
value" jobs.  One of them, of course, is a certain amount of discrimination.
However, I greatly suspect that the main reasons for it are historical:

	1) Women haven't been in the workforce in such large numbers
	   for very long (and were, of course, considerably more
	   discriminated against in the past).

	2) The "traditional" women's jobs (until recently) were
	   very rarely unionized.  If they were, they were frequently
	   not very aggressive.  I think that this factor is probably
	   the biggest influence.

No wonder that secretaries are paid less than Janitors or Plumbers
(or most of the other trades).  Janitors and the other trades are
"guilds" - they enforce a monopoly on who you can hire to do
such jobs.  And, if they choose to, they can go on strike (as they
are now) and demand anything they want.  The only counter-balancing
factor is when the strike fund runs out.  Secretaries (and probably
lots of other "traditional" female occupations) ARE being paid too
little.  If they had a guild just like carpenters, they would probably
be paid a lot more.

(Mind you, frequently I think that the unionized trades are being paid
too much!)

Take a look at the professions, where very few unions exist - I suspect
that you will find that equivalent experience people are being paid
very similar wages, regardless of sex.
--
Chris Lewis,
UUCP: {allegra, linus, ihnp4}!utzoo!mnetor!clewis