[net.music] Sky, Sky3, sheet music

sherm@wucs.UUCP (Sherman Lee) (03/10/85)

Has anyone out in netland heard of the fusion group "Sky"?

This group includes such people as John Williams, Kevin Peek,
and Herbie Flowers, and others whose names escape me at the
moment.

They have produced two albums, the first being a two-record LP,
hence the name "Sky3" for the second album.

Also, I heard a rumor that the sheet music for "Sky3" was available
in New York a few years ago, but is nowhere to be found now,
at least not here in St. Louis.  Does anyone have any information
on how I might be able to order any of their sheet music?
--

sherm@wucs.UUCP  	Sherman Lee -- Washington University
				       Engineering Computer Laboratory

			"We're here to provide superior computing."

	{houxm,sdcsvax, ... }!ihnp4!wucs!sherm

brianb@tekig1.UUCP (Brian Batson) (03/12/85)

> Has anyone out in netland heard of the fusion group "Sky"?
>
> They have produced two albums, the first being a two-record LP,
> hence the name "Sky3" for the second album.

Sky's first album is titled "Sky" and is a SINGLE disque. It was
only released in Europe and available as an import in "good" stores.
The double LP was released as "Sky2" in Europe, hence the name
"Sky3" for the third album!

I saw a 60 minute concert with Sky  on the ARTS channel; they played in
?? Westminster Cathedral ??, anyway it was quite a treat.

Sky is: (according to my volatile memory)
John Williams
Kevin Peek
Tristan Frye
Herbie Flowers

hjelm@cmu-cs-g.ARPA (Mark Hjelm) (03/13/85)

Yes, I sure have heard of Sky.  They are probably one of my favorite
groups.  I love Francis Monkman's side-long songs.  I own four albums
and know of one more.

Sky's first album, cleverly titled "Sky", came out in 1979, appearently
only in the U.K or else with very little fanfare (I sold my left arm
to get it when a friend found it in a used record store). The album
contains many songs that Sky did on an episode of Nova.  The band
members are:

    John Williams        Guitar
    Herbie Flowers       Bass
    Kevin Peek           Guitar
    Tristan Fry          Drums (or should I say "percussion")
    Francis Monkman      Keyboards

Their second album, also titled "Sky" was the double ablum mentioned,
which was widely released (1980) and received some critical acclaim.

For "Sky3" and "Sky4" ('81 and '82), Steve Gray replaced Francis
Monkman.  I also remember seeing a (double?) live album a few years
ago.  Does anyone know what they've been up to recently?  Did anyone
ever see them live?  Did they ever get over to this side of the
Atlantic?

All of the albums are Excellent recordings (Digital) and John Williams
guitar is a joy to listen to.  All are recommended, but the
first two are extra special.

P.S.  There is a CD out by a group called Sky named "Cadmium".  Is
there any relation?

    Mark Hjelm

ARPA:   hjelm@cmu-cs-g.ARPA
UUCP:   {seismo,decvax,allegra}!rochester!cmu-cs-pt!cmu-cs-g!hjelm
CSNET:  hjelm%cmu-cs-a@csnet-relay

Ian Rock.SBDERX@XEROX.ARPA (03/13/85)

Sherman,

Sky sheet music is certainly available over here in the U.K. - maybe I
could send some to you and you could return the favour some day.
Alternatively, I could give you Herbie Flowers' phone number (did you
know he played on Lou Reed's "Berlin").  He lives in a town called
Uxbridge, a few miles from Heathrow Airport.

	Ian

ed@ISM780.UUCP (03/14/85)

/* Written  3:45 am  Mar 13, 1985 by sherm@wucs in ISM780:net.music */
/* ---------- "Sky, Sky3, sheet music" ---------- */

> Has anyone out in netland heard of the fusion group "Sky"?
>
> This group includes such people as John Williams, Kevin Peek,
> and Herbie Flowers, and others whose names escape me at the
> moment.
>
> They have produced two albums, the first being a two-record LP,
> hence the name "Sky3" for the second album.

Two corrections: Sky has produced at least five albums, and
the double-album set was not the first album - there is an album simply
called "Sky" (I know, original titles %-) which is available only as
an import - a German pressing.  It is a very good album, and I like it
better than any of the other 3 that I have.  The second side
is one complete song done by Francis Monkman called "Where Opposites Meet"
that is an interesting work with two themes which merge by songs end.
Sky's albums are completely instrumental, no vocals.

On first two albums, Sky was:

	John Williams   -  well known classical guitarist
	Kevin Peek      -  lead guitar
	Herbie Flowers  -  bass Guitar
	Tristan Fry     -  percussion
	Francis Monkman -  keyboards, etc. - formerly of Curved Air

The second album, "Sky/Sky" is the best known of all their albums, and sold
well for quite some time.  Monkman's playing of the harpsichord is
electrifying, and stands out on track such as Vivaldi, a remake of Curved
Air's old hit.

After the second album, Monkman left, to be replaced by Steve Gray; with
him, Sky produced Sky3 and Sky4.  Sky3 contains rock/jazz fusion tunes, while
Sky4 is mostly reworkings of classical tunes, such as Berlioz' "March to
the Gallows" from Symphonie Fantastique.  There is also a Sky5, a double album
with some live tracks and some new tracks, but I've only seen it once as an
import.  Sky holds the distintion of being the first "rock" band to play
in Westminster Abbey, as a benefit for Amnesty International.  It was on
PBS a few years back - somehow it just seemed incongruent for guitars,
drums, coloured lights etc. to be in the same arena as the gothic architecture
of the Abbey.

Anyway, I find of the four albums I own, I favour them pretty well in
chronological order.  Personally, I think they have gone downhill ever
since Monkman's departure - the style persists but the punch and flair are
gone.

Ed Lycklama
decvax!cca!ima!ism780!ed

knight@nmtvax.UUCP (03/18/85)

In article <> sherm@wucs.UUCP (Sherman Lee) writes:

>They have produced two albums, the first being a two-record LP,
>hence the name "Sky3" for the second album.

Sky has five albums out (that I know of):

	Sky - A single record released in 1979 -
		John Williams, Herbie Flowers, Kevin Peek, Tristan Fry, Francis Monkman
	Sky 2 - A double record set released in 1980 - same personnel
	Sky 3 - A single record released in 1981 - same except replace Monkman
		with Steve Gray
	Sky 4 "Forthcoming" - A single record released in 1982 - same lineup as
		Sky 3

	There is a fifth album out.  I don't have it (I think it was released in
1984).  Very good stuff.

    I don't know about the sheet music availability.

Bob