[net.women] Professional women are *not* safe from discrimination

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Laurie Sefton, C/O chuqui) (07/11/85)

Just a note to those of you who thought that discrimination against women
in professional positions didn't exist...

I just received a letter from a friend of mine who *used* to work for a
petroleum company that was recently "engulfed" by another petroleum
company.  Used to, because, the company was forced to lay-off a portion of
its R & D, and did so by laying off 82% of all the women professionals
there (including all the married women professionals).  the lay-offs were
not conducted by seniority or rank, in fact when the man in charge of the
lay-offs first came out with his "hit list" it indicated that *all* the
women professionals would be laid off, and was politely asked to re-do his
list.  Professionals here means people with MS or PhDs in petrology,
geo-physics, geology, or petroleum engineering.  It also appears that other
members of the R & D group were not approached for input on who should be
laid off (they were quite surprised to find these people missing when
Monday-morning group meeting time came around).

Yes, the women are planning on fighting it.
Yes, the women have contacted the proper government commissions (EEOC,
NLRB)
No, they don't expect to win...

sitting in the midst of real life...

Laurie Sefton

--
:From the misfiring synapses of:                  Chuq Von Rospach
{cbosgd,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui   nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

Admirals, extoll'd for standing still,
Or doing nothing with a deal of skill.		-- William Cowper

marvinm@ttidcb.UUCP (Marvin Moskowitz) (07/17/85)

In article <2960@nsc.UUCP> chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Laurie Sefton, C/O chuqui) writes:
>Just a note to those of you who thought that discrimination against women
>in professional positions didn't exist...
>
>I just received a letter from a friend of mine who *used* to work for a
>petroleum company that was recently "engulfed" by another petroleum
>company.  Used to, because, the company was forced to lay-off a portion of
>its R & D, and did so by laying off 82% of all the women professionals

For those of us who believe in opposing this type of behavior through
the power of the purse, how about explicitly stating the name
of this petroleum company?

--Iconoclast