[net.women] women,pregnancy,contracts, etc.

regard@ttidcc.UUCP (Adrienne Regard) (07/19/85)

>  Of course I, as an employer, am not allowed to ask such
> silly questions as "Are you pregnant now?  Do you plan to get pregnant
> during the term of the assignment?".  That is discriminatory and
> against the law, you see.

This question is discriminatory -- as it stands.  You are, however, allowed
to ask the question, "Do you have any commitments that would interfere
with the work requirements of this job, covering the period (date) to (date)?"
(You should ask this of both the male and female applicants.  He may have
500 guppies at home that restrict his travel availability.)  Then, you can
write a contract (PLEASE use a lawyer as a safeguard) that states they
certify that they anticipate _no_ interruption to their work capabilities
during the specified time period.  Under this type of contract, either a
male or female employee who breached it because of prior commitment would
be required to reimburse you for damages in some form.

Now, if she got pregnant AFTER the day she signed the contract, you would
have no recourse (after all, anything could happen to anybody that would
would land them in a hospital after signing a contract).  But if she were
pregnant BEFORE and KNEW IT (as in the case you stated), she would be
guilty of breaching her contract, and during the (probably inevitable)
lawsuit, you could bring as evidence her prior knowledge of her condition,
and even the EEOC can't support outright, blatant lying.

Note: the difference here is LYING about AVAILABILITY, not LYING about
PREGNANCY.  Pregnancy is dealt with in many situations sort of like
voluntary surgery.  You know about it ahead of time, people you work
with deserve to be informed so they can plan around your absense, but it
is NOT grounds for discharge or discrimination.  Think of it as a
voluntary gall bladder operation -- it means an absence sometime in the
near future, but no real diminution of either capabilities, or commitment
to the work project.

Also, as I've said, you can further protect yourself under the laws by
asking this question of ALL applicants, not just women, and applying it's
expectations to BOTH men and women.  Maybe the guy didn't screw you over
in this case, but you'd be a fool to hire only men in the future, because
there is one with guppies out there waiting to take advantage of you, too.

Adrienne Regard

greenber@timeinc.UUCP (Ross M. Greenberg) (07/23/85)

In article <573@ttidcc.UUCP> regard@ttidcc.UUCP (Adrienne Regard) writes:
>....  Then, you can
>write a contract (PLEASE use a lawyer as a safeguard) that states they
>certify that they anticipate _no_ interruption to their work capabilities
>during the specified time period.  Under this type of contract, either a
>male or female employee who breached it because of prior commitment would
>be required to reimburse you for damages in some form.

Basically, that is what I did.  I have this really nice 17 page contract
that says all that you suggested in wonderful legalese.  I must
ammend the last sentence: please add the following:  "unless breach
was caused by pregnancy".  An employer has no option: pregnancy is a
special condition.  My lawyer put it to me this way: "You want to
go before an <ethnic> judge and try to sue a pregnant women??"

>Also, as I've said, you can further protect yourself under the laws by
>asking this question of ALL applicants, not just women, and applying it's
>expectations to BOTH men and women.  Maybe the guy didn't screw you over
>in this case, but you'd be a fool to hire only men in the future, because
>there is one with guppies out there waiting to take advantage of you, too.

I'm gonna have to go back to Writing 101:  I really didn't mean to
imply that I would never hire a women again.  Some of my best SO's are
women! :-)

What I meant to say is that a situation exists that is a special case,
that can happen only to women, and that an employer really can do
nothing about it.

This special priv that a women has *may* cost her jobs.  So having a
maternity leave clause in a contract or special laws dealing with
pregnancy may not benefit the women after all.

As a side note:  I have hired women since then and will continue to
hire an *qualified* applicant as the need arises.

Ross M. Greenberg  @ Time Inc, New York
              --------->{vax135 | ihnp4}!timeinc!greenber<---------

I highly doubt that Time Inc.  would make me their spokesperson.
----
"I was riding a wombat this morning, 'till it broke its leg. I had to
 shoot it"  -- Ranger on Camel