[net.women] gender specific pronouns again

regard@ttidcc.UUCP (Adrienne Regard) (07/11/85)

The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
>Polly writes:
>I once had to use a textbook where  the  genders  were  simply  alternated,
>sometimes  within  the  same  sentence.  The effect was _very_ distracting.
>Having to deal with a subject that changes sex three times in one  sentence
>slows  the  reading and information absorption process enormously (at least
>it did for me), probably because it's so unexpected and unusual.

Now, the funny thing about this posting is that part and parcel of this
discussion is that we are looking for a pronoun that doesn't leave an
impression of sex.  Polly indicates that the changing use of the pronoun
was distracting because it changed "sex" three times.

What does that do to the stance that the pronoun "he" already stands for
everybody (and not just male people)?  Seems to me it helps support the
claim that the use of a gender specific pronoun encourages a sense of
sexuality in the object of that pronoun, and that "he" is a gender specific
pronoun, not a neuter one.  Polly is usually satisfied by not publicizing a
stand on one side or another of an issue, but it seems to me those of you
out there who do take a stand can't ignore these factors.

crs@lanl.ARPA (07/12/85)

> The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
> >Polly writes:
> >I once had to use a textbook where  the  genders  were  simply  alternated,
> >sometimes  within  the  same  sentence.  The effect was _very_ distracting.
> >Having to deal with a subject that changes sex three times in one  sentence
> >slows  the  reading and information absorption process enormously (at least
> >it did for me), probably because it's so unexpected and unusual.
>
> Now, the funny thing about this posting is that part and parcel of this
> discussion is that we are looking for a pronoun that doesn't leave an
> impression of sex.  Polly indicates that the changing use of the pronoun
> was distracting because it changed "sex" three times.
>
> What does that do to the stance that the pronoun "he" already stands for
> everybody (and not just male people)?

But when "he" is alternated with "she" (which *is* gender/sex specific)
the (artificial) contrast produced *suggests* the nongeneric meaning
of "he" where, if used normally, the context suggests the generic
meaning or, at worst, suggests nothing and leaves the selection to the
judgment of the reader.  At least it does for me.

> Seems to me it helps support the
> claim that the use of a gender specific pronoun encourages a sense of
> sexuality in the object of that pronoun, and that "he" is a gender specific
> pronoun, not a neuter one.  Polly is usually satisfied by not publicizing a
> stand on one side or another of an issue, but it seems to me those of you
> out there who do take a stand can't ignore these factors.

See above.

--
Charlie Sorsby
...!{cmcl2,ihnp4,...}!lanl!crs

mjv@ihu1e.UUCP (Vlach) (07/24/85)

> > What does that do to the stance that the pronoun "he" already stands for
> > everybody (and not just male people)?

[much deleted]

I know that he is often used in a generic sense, but since he means a male
person in many cases, I always thought it was sort of obnoxious.  I don't
feel like the average "he", that's for sure.  I sometimes use "one" for a
non-specific gendered third person.  That's something I picked up from
French, where it is used a great deal.

Side note: In the book "Oh! Pascal", the authors explained that since most
books used he for the third person, they were using she to make it more
even.  I thought it was a nice gesture.  It was used consistantly
throughout the book and was no problem in reading.

I hope this 3rd person business can be fixed up.  I was frequently chastised
in English classes for not having my antecedents agree, because once I had
said "someone" I couldn't bring myself to call them a HIM or HE unless this
were the case, so I used they or them all the time.  To think being a
feminist can ruin your grammar. :-)

		Marcia Bear, somewhere in this known universe