[net.women] rape and firearms

gmack@denelvx.UUCP (Gregg Mackenzie) (07/02/85)

Jeanette, in <185@ihlpl.UUCP> you write:
> > Rape and other violent crimes are deterred almost daily in this country
> > by the use of firearms; news accounts of such actions are quite common.
>
> There are also accounts in the news as often of people being wounded or
> killed by their own weapons which were takenfrom them by their attacker
> [and some other stuff].

This, along with your next comments, indicates that you do not approve of the
use of firearms.  Yet, you closed 184@ihlpl.UUCP with a little sign that says
"To hell with the dog, watch out for the owner."  This sign usually has a
sketch on it which looks down the barrel of a large gun.  Mine does, anyway.
(The other one I have has the same sketch and says "There is nothing in here
worth your life.)

Just for the record, I believe that noone has any business carrying any
weapons unless they are prepared to use them - mentally and physically.  Not
being mentally prepared nearly cost me my own life a few years ago.

I was putting myself through school working in a restaurant on the opening
shift.  One morning before we opened, I was in the back, unaware that a
robbery was taking place in the front.  One of the robbers came into the
back and we startled each other.  He had a knife and my first reaction was
to grab the butcher knife that was laying on the bench.  I was going to run
it through him, but I wasn't mentally prepared and I hesitated.  When I did,
he stabbed me in the stomach, knocked me down, and he and his buddy proceeded
to kick me in the head and stomach.  My ears rang for days.  They talked
briefly about shooting me but decided to just get the money and get out.
They were never caught.  All this over less than $500!

The point is, if you carry a weapon, you'd better be prepared to actually
kill someone with it.  In your home, a scatter gun is best because you don't
have to aim it, you just point it in the general direction of your target.
Also, trying to just wound your assailant won't cut it.  You have to kill
him.  I was bloody and beaten and was still able to get up and call the
cops.

> As nearly as I can determine in real-time conversations  (face to face)
> with many different people the general type of individual who makes the above
> statements falls into one of two groups:
>
> 	1) A devout member of the NRA complete with pro-firearms
> 	bumper stickers.

What's wrong with that?

> 	2) Someone who has not given thought to the "wild-west theory"
> 	of social relationships.

I apologize for my ignorance, but what's the "wild-west theory"?

Gregg Mackenzie
denelcor!gmack

zubbie@ihlpl.UUCP (Jeanette Zobjeck) (07/09/85)

> > 	1) A devout member of the NRA complete with pro-firearms
> > 	bumper stickers.
>
> What's wrong with that?

What most of these people advocate (actively or through implied consent
of the activist statements) is unworkable for the average person who has
never seen nor fired a hand weapon at another person.

> > 	2) Someone who has not given thought to the "wild-west theory"
> > 	of social relationships.
>
> I apologize for my ignorance, but what's the "wild-west theory"?
>
> Gregg Mackenzie
> denelcor!gmack

ie
If - Everyone wore a gun on their hip
	THEN - people would be more polite in general.

(This doesn't and can't work for obvious reasons but I have heard it
voiced at parties and in discussions often enough

--
Jeanette Zobjeck ihnp4!ihlpl!zubbie

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (07/11/85)

In article <200@ihlpl.UUCP> zubbie@ihlpl.UUCP (Jeanette Zobjeck) writes:

>> > 	2) Someone who has not given thought to the "wild-west theory"
>> > 	of social relationships.
>> I apologize for my ignorance, but what's the "wild-west theory"?
>> Gregg Mackenzie
>ie
>If - Everyone wore a gun on their hip
>	THEN - people would be more polite in general.
>
>(This doesn't and can't work for obvious reasons but I have heard it
>voiced at parties and in discussions often enough.)
>Jeanette Zobjeck ihnp4!ihlpl!zubbie

What are these "obvious" reasons? Before you flame right back, let me
point you to an article that appeared on the front page of the Wall
Street Journal some years ago, before the Russian invasion of
Afghanistan. It was a background, travelogue-style piece on Afghanistan,
which at that time was seldom mentioned in world news and was considered
exotic and unknown.

(I'm sorry to not be able to give a more exact reference, but mayhap one
of the library periodical references would do so.)

This article explicitly and specifically stated that Afghan society was
more polite in interpersonal relations, and that petty crime was
practically unknown, due *precisely* to the Afghan habit of ALWAYS going
armed, no matter where you went. This is exactly the "wild west theory"
stated above, and I think this one reference is all that is needed to
prove that it is correct!

(This habit has also helped the Afghans resist the invasion, but that is
another issue.)

Will

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (07/16/85)

Another point that I should have added to the "Wild West Theory" discussion:

The point about an armed society becoming a polite society is NOT due to
everyone running about in fear of being shot by someone else. It is due
to the changes in the armed people themselves. When you are armed, you
become *LESS* free to indulge your angers, not *more* free! You cannot
yell at incompetent drivers, casually insult strangers, etc., because
*any* confrontation has the potential to escalate to a conflict with the
element of deadly force involved. This is one of the basic principles
taught by those all-too-few schools that instruct people in the use of
guns for self-defense, like the Chapman or Ayoob academies.

This desirable state *can* be reached without everyone going about armed;
merely teach every person to act as if every other person was armed.

(Of course, we can't even teach people to keep to the right side of sidewalks,
so I hold no real hope of anything that depends on teaching and learning...)

Will

csdf@mit-vax.UUCP (Charles Forsythe) (07/16/85)

In article <11602@brl-tgr.ARPA> wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) writes:
>to the changes in the armed people themselves. When you are armed, you
>become *LESS* free to indulge your angers, not *more* free! You cannot
>yell at incompetent drivers, casually insult strangers, etc., because
>*any* confrontation has the potential to escalate to a conflict with the
>element of deadly force involved. This is one of the basic principles
>taught by those all-too-few schools that instruct people in the use of
>guns for self-defense, like the Chapman or Ayoob academies.

This is a neat idea. Too bad it doesn't work. Non-violent people, in general
don't buy firearms ("I wouldn't use it anyway"). Too many second degree
(ie in the heat of passion) murders are commited in this country because
there was a firearm (usually a handgun) handy.

--
Charles Forsythe
CSDF@MIT-VAX

regard@ttidcc.UUCP (Adrienne Regard) (07/17/85)

>This is a neat idea. Too bad it doesn't work. Non-violent people, in general
>don't buy firearms ("I wouldn't use it anyway").
>Charles Forsythe

Charlie, you better come up with some support for this claim if you don't
want to be entirely discredited for the rest of your natural life.

PLENTY of non-violent people purchase firearms, and for a variety of reasons.
I am one.  My father is one.  My ex-boss is one.  Shall I canvass everybody
I know with respect to gun-purchase and records of violence?  No, I'll leave
the exercise to you, the claimant.  Think you can handle it without blowing
it?

Adrienne Regard

(p.s., re the actual topic of rape and firearms -- seems to me teargas is
a slightly better idea.  Non-lethal [in case it gets turned against you] but
highly unpleasant [presuming you get the chance to use it against him] and
works at close quarters, on all parts of the body, 'wicked' by clothing if
necessary.)

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (07/18/85)

In article <568@ttidcc.UUCP> regard@ttidcc.UUCP (Adrienne Regard) writes:
>(p.s., re the actual topic of rape and firearms -- seems to me teargas is
>a slightly better idea.  Non-lethal [in case it gets turned against you] but
>highly unpleasant [presuming you get the chance to use it against him] and
>works at close quarters, on all parts of the body, 'wicked' by clothing if
>necessary.)

According to my tear-gas licensing class it  only  works  if  you  get  the
assailant  in  the  face  or genitals and may not work then if they've been
drinking or are on drugs.  It  takes  about  30  seconds  to  wick  through
clothing, during which time you can become very dead.

Having once clumsily got some on me I can testify that it didn't bother  my
leg  a  bit, though it's _very_ nasty stuff to get up your nose (you had to
be there (-: ).  I leave the testing on the genitals to the  masochists  in
the crowd.
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp TTI                      Common Sense is what tells you that a ten
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.             pound weight falls ten times as fast as a
Santa Monica, CA  90405           one pound weight.
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

crs@lanl.ARPA (07/18/85)

> >This is a neat idea. Too bad it doesn't work. Non-violent people, in general
> >don't buy firearms ("I wouldn't use it anyway").
> >Charles Forsythe
>
> Charlie, you better come up with some support for this claim if you don't
> want to be entirely discredited for the rest of your natural life.

Hey!  He's Charles -- *I'm* Charlie  (:->)

> PLENTY of non-violent people purchase firearms, and for a variety of reasons.
> I am one.  My father is one.  My ex-boss is one.  Shall I canvass everybody
> I know with respect to gun-purchase and records of violence?  No, I'll leave
> the exercise to you, the claimant.  Think you can handle it without blowing
> it?

I agree with you a hundred percent.  (Of course, if one defines the
owner of a firearm as a violent person, then I guess we are both wrong
by definition.)  There are plenty of non-violent uses for firearms.
Surely target shooting cannot be considered violence.  Frankly, I'm
not convinced that self-defense should be considered violence; rather
it is defense *against* violence -- a different thing entirely.

There are some other things I would like to say in this matter but I
don't think that they are germane to net.women so I'll refrain.

> Adrienne Regard
>
> (p.s., re the actual topic of rape and firearms -- seems to me teargas is
> a slightly better idea.  Non-lethal [in case it gets turned against you] but
> highly unpleasant [presuming you get the chance to use it against him] and
> works at close quarters, on all parts of the body, 'wicked' by clothing if
> necessary.)

Again, I agree.

--
All opinions are mine alone...

Charlie Sorsby
...!{cmcl2,ihnp4,...}!lanl!crs
crs@lanl.arpa

csdf@mit-vax.UUCP (Charles Forsythe) (07/19/85)

In article <568@ttidcc.UUCP> regard@ttidcc.UUCP (Adrienne Regard) writes:
>Charlie, you better come up with some support for this claim if you don't
>want to be entirely discredited for the rest of your natural life.

Ms. Regard (May I call you Adrienne?), I have lost all credibility at
this point (especially with regard to firearms) so I really can't go
wrong now.

>PLENTY of non-violent people purchase firearms, and for a variety of reasons.
>I am one.  My father is one.  My ex-boss is one.  Shall I canvass everybody
>I know with respect to gun-purchase and records of violence?  No, I'll leave
>the exercise to you, the claimant.  Think you can handle it without blowing
>it?

Buying a firearm with the intent of shooting someone is NOT a pacifist
act. I don't care what your dad says. Non-violent people, and I do not
use the term as loosely as you, do not consider shooting other people,
even if they're rapists. All right -- flame me to death.

>(p.s., re the actual topic of rape and firearms -- seems to me teargas is
>a slightly better idea.  Non-lethal [in case it gets turned against you] but
>highly unpleasant [presuming you get the chance to use it against him] and
>works at close quarters, on all parts of the body, 'wicked' by clothing if
>necessary.)

Hear, hear!

--

crs@lanl.ARPA (07/23/85)

> >PLENTY of non-violent people purchase firearms, and for a variety of reasons.
> >I am one.  My father is one.  My ex-boss is one.  Shall I canvass everybody
> >I know with respect to gun-purchase and records of violence?  No, I'll leave
> >the exercise to you, the claimant.  Think you can handle it without blowing
> >it?
>
> Buying a firearm with the intent of shooting someone is NOT a pacifist
> act. I don't care what your dad says. Non-violent people, and I do not
> use the term as loosely as you, do not consider shooting other people,
> even if they're rapists. All right -- flame me to death.

I guess I wouldn't consider pacificism to be synonymous with
non-violent.  Further, if I recall your original posting, Charles, it
seems to me that *you* made some generalization equating purchase of a
firearm  with violence.

I (and probably at least a few others) don't consider defending one's
self from violence to be an act of violence.  If you choose to turn
the other cheek and accept an act of violence against you without
trying to defend yourself against it other than by avoidance that is
fine with me.  I RESPECT YOUR RIGHT TO DO SO.  I also think it would
be nice if you respected the rights of others to defend themselves
against acts of violence provided, of course, that they accept the
responsibilities that are part of that defense.

If I am misinterpreting your postings, I apologize, but I get the
impression that you are one of those who think the criminals rights
are more important than those of the victim.  This attitude on the
part of the government, the courts, etc. is a major reason, I believe,
that more and more people *are* arming themselves for defense.  And,
of course, one is protected by the police only *after* the fact -- how
can it be otherwise?

Finally, as Adrienne pointed out, many people buy firearms for reasons
that have nothing to do with violence even by your definition unless
you consider shooting holes in paper targets or breaking clay targets
to be acts of violence.

--
All opinions are mine alone...

Charlie Sorsby
...!{cmcl2,ihnp4,...}!lanl!crs
crs@lanl.arpa

zubbie@ihlpl.UUCP (Jeanette Zobjeck) (07/24/85)

> According to my tear-gas licensing class it  only  works  if  you  get  the
> assailant  in  the  face  or genitals and may not work then if they've been
> drinking or are on drugs.  It  takes  about  30  seconds  to  wick  through
> clothing, during which time you can become very dead.
>
> The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)

There is a chemical  used for control of animals which comes in a pressure
can like mace but is legal in most states. Instead of emitting a spray
it comes out as a stream which can hit a target up to 20 feet away and
contact with the skin causes an immediate and painful burning feeling.
It is available from many kennels and animal trainers in the southern
Wisconsin area, I dont know about any where else, and requires no permits
or liscences because it is intended for use on animals.

--
Jeanette Zobjeck ihnp4!ihlpl!zubbie
These are my opinions!

csdf@mit-vax.UUCP (Charles Forsythe) (07/25/85)

In article <28641@lanl.ARPA> crs@lanl.ARPA writes:
>I guess I wouldn't consider pacificism to be synonymous with
>non-violent.  Further, if I recall your original posting, Charles, it
>seems to me that *you* made some generalization equating purchase of a
>firearm  with violence.

As someone who enjoys shooting target pistol, I honestly didn't mean to
make a generalization. I was specifically addressing people who buy
weapons to shoot other people with.

>I (and probably at least a few others) don't consider defending one's
>self from violence to be an act of violence.

Not per se. Consider what webster says:
   Violence: to use force with the intent of injury or abuse.

If you shoot a rapist, that's violent. Don't try to re-define the
English language! It's violence. Now, shooting people is a particularly
nasty form of violence because it makes a lot of noise and tends to
induce death in the victim (not always, but often enough). I was trying
to point out that some people don't want to deal with this so
saying,"We'll fix rape, just give everyone guns," won't do shit because
some people just won't carry guns.

>If you choose to turn
>the other cheek and accept an act of violence against you without
>trying to defend yourself against it other than by avoidance that is
>fine with me.

Actually, the first thing I do is turn and run. If this is out of the
question, I have to become violent. I don't need a gun to be violent,
though; nobody does.

>I RESPECT YOUR RIGHT TO DO SO.  I also think it would
>be nice if you respected the rights of others to defend themselves
>against acts of violence provided, of course, that they accept the
>responsibilities that are part of that defense.

I do respect that right, but what has it got to do with carrying guns?
In Massachusetts, it is very difficult to legally own a firearm, but a
sword of any length, as long it is not double edged, can be carried
legally. I admit swordplay gets a bit bloody, but so does a shooting and
psyochological studies show that it's much easier for a person to whip
out a pistol and pull the trigger without thinking than whip out a sword
and start hacking without thinking.  Since a lot of handgun violence is
heat-of-the-moment anger, I'd feel safer in a room full of sword
weilding people than gun weilding ones.  Anyway, swords have much more
style!

>If I am misinterpreting your postings, I apologize, but I get the
>impression that you are one of those who think the criminals rights
>are more important than those of the victim.

No, not at all. I just don't like handguns. I think they are too
dangerous for the silly lack of forethought we americans give them. By
all means, if a rapist attacks I hope the M*********ER dies painfully.

>Finally, as Adrienne pointed out, many people buy firearms for reasons
>that have nothing to do with violence even by your definition unless
>you consider shooting holes in paper targets or breaking clay targets
>to be acts of violence.

Hey! I own a target pistol! It's not a terribly good one, a Mark I .22
caliber, but I have a great deal of fun shooting holes in paper. I do,
however, feel that shooting clay targets is immoral :-).

Anyway, as a person who has fired pistols, I would rather have other
weapons available in a street crime situation. Television cop shows are
exciting, but far too unrealistic.

--
Charles Forsythe
CSDF@MIT-VAX

Lord Fred:"Because I said I am."

Wang Zeep:"Seriously."

Lord Fred:"Look, it works for every other religion."

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (07/30/85)

In article <243@ihlpl.UUCP> zubbie@ihlpl.UUCP (Jeanette Zobjeck) writes:
>There is a chemical  used for control of animals which comes in a pressure
>can like mace but is legal in most states. Instead of emitting a spray
>it comes out as a stream which can hit a target up to 20 feet away and
>contact with the skin causes an immediate and painful burning feeling.
>It is available from many kennels and animal trainers in the southern
>Wisconsin area, I dont know about any where else, and requires no permits
>or liscences because it is intended for use on animals.

A few points:

Mace is the trademark of a product of the Smith & Wesson corporation.  Last
I  heard  it's  manufacture  had  been  discontinued  in  favor of Mace II.
Neither Mace nor Mace II is related to the CS  or  CN  gas  sold  for  self
defense  as  tear  gas.  Mace  was  notoriously  ineffective.  Mace  II  is
reportedly better.

The CS, CN, and Mace II cannisters I've used have all  projected  a  stream
rather  than a spray.  In still air they could hit a target about 10' away.
As with all projectiles, accuracy requires practice.

In California possession of CS, CN, or Mace  II  without  a  license  is  a
felony.  None of these products is recommended for use on animals.

I'm not aware of any such products intended solely for use on animals here,
or what their licensing requirements would be, if any.