[net.women] rape, guns and teargas

regard@ttidcc.UUCP (Adrienne Regard) (07/19/85)

>In article <568@ttidcc.UUCP> regard@ttidcc.UUCP (Adrienne Regard) writes:
>>(p.s., re the actual topic of rape and firearms -- seems to me teargas is
>>a slightly better idea.  Non-lethal [in case it gets turned against you] but
>>highly unpleasant [presuming you get the chance to use it against him] and
>>works at close quarters, on all parts of the body, 'wicked' by clothing if
>>necessary.)

>According to my tear-gas licensing class it  only  works  if  you  get  the
>assailant  in  the  face  or genitals and may not work then if they've been
>drinking or are on drugs.  It  takes  about  30  seconds  to  wick  through
>clothing, during which time you can become very dead.

Polly, I think you take delight.

"According to my tear-gas licensing class", it works as a deterent if you
get an assailant ANYWHERE on uncovered skin (pores), though the face is
best because (1) it is usually uncovered and (2) tear-gas works best on
mucus membranes (eyes, nose, mouth).  The genitals (if uncovered) are
rather sensitive areas as well, but I wouldn't wait until he undressed
myself.  Our officer related a story of a masked motorcyclist who was
snatching purses -- one woman hit him with teargas at the base of his
helmet, and the wicking of his jacket binding took the teargas to his
neck--the guy stopped, dropped his bike in a flash and ripped that helmet
off as quick as he possibly could.

It also depends on the kind of teargas.  "mace" differs from the teargas
available to the general (in California, licensed only) public.  There is
CN gas, which is the teargas agent suspended in mineral oil.  Then there is
CS gas, which is the teargas agent suspended in acetone.  The latter is
more effective, and has been shown to work even on rabid dogs, let alone
people who are drunk or on drugs.  The former has proven to be far less
effective on drunks or drugged people.  Both are available in California if
you have a license.  Each state has it's own laws, so those of you who live
elsewhere will have to check specifically.

If you are a person walking out of your house late at night, I guess you
have to decide what assumptions you choose to work under.  I'd rather carry
teargas than a gun because I choose to assume that if I am attacked it isn't
with fatal intent.  Therefore, my teargas may be sufficient deterent
(assuming I use it correctly, and don't have it used on me).  If, however,
I choose to believe I will be attacked with fatal intent, I'd better get
a carry permit, because it's illegal for a private citizen to walk about
the streets of LA with a loaded, concealed weapon.  Course, it's also
nearly impossible for a private citizen to get a carry permit, so I'd have
to decide if I was more concerned with abiding by the laws of the state or
providing against the off-chance that I'll be attacked.  In either contin-
gency, I'd better be prepared and trained to use the weapons I choose so
that I don't blast some innocent bystander by being trigger happy.  And
I'd better realize that _that_ is a risk I undertake by arming myself.
Even choosing to bear arms (of any kind) for self-defense purposes carries
a risk to it.

Adrienne Regard

sunny@sun.uucp (Ms. Sunny Kirsten) (07/24/85)

To set the record straight, the voice of experience enters:

	In a freak accident of being in the right place at the right
	time, I was accidentally teargassed in the face and neck and
chest while at a friends' house, with a full blast of about 3 or 4
seconds from a distance of only 2 feet.  Yes, it stung like hell, and
yes, I was seriously coughing...  but I was not incapacitated from
either defending myself or attacking someone.  And I was neither doped
up nor angry.  The irritation of being gassed would only have increased
my determination to do bodily harm to the perpetrator of the gas
attack, had it not been a friend and an acidental discharge.
Therefore, I must point out that while teargas does give a little help
to a woman beset by an attacker, it does not at all obviate the need to
either fight physically, or flee.

				Sunny
--
{ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sun!sunny (Ms. Sunny Kirsten)

demillo@uwmacc.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) (07/25/85)

> To set the record straight, the voice of experience enters:
>
> 	In a freak accident of being in the right place at the right
> 	time, I was accidentally teargassed in the face and neck and
> chest while at a friends' house, with a full blast of about 3 or 4
> seconds from a distance of only 2 feet.  Yes, it stung like hell, and
> yes, I was seriously coughing...  but I was not incapacitated from
> either defending myself or attacking someone.  And I was neither doped
> up nor angry.  The irritation of being gassed would only have increased
> my determination to do bodily harm to the perpetrator of the gas
> attack, had it not been a friend and an acidental discharge.
> Therefore, I must point out that while teargas does give a little help
> to a woman beset by an attacker, it does not at all obviate the need to
> either fight physically, or flee.
>
> 				Sunny
> --
> {ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sun!sunny (Ms. Sunny Kirsten)

Ms Experience ---
   Using this example with your previous assertions of gun-toting:
what do you think the attacker's reaction would be if you pulled
out a gun and/or hesitated for a split second and/or missed
your target? Maybe...just maybe...the same feelings that you
felt when tear-gassed? Maybe worse? Maybe you'd survive the
return attack? Maybe?
   Maybe you better not carry a gun....

--
                           --- Rob DeMillo
                               Madison Academic Computer Center

                 /
               =|--
               = \
               =
             [][][]

"...I don't know what this thing does, but it's pointing in your direction."

sunny@sun.uucp (Ms. Sunny Kirsten) (07/26/85)

> > To set the record straight, the voice of experience enters:
> >
> > The irritation of being gassed would only have increased
> > my determination to do bodily harm to the perpetrator of the gas
> > attack
> > 				Sunny
>
>                            --- Rob DeMillo writes:
> Ms Experience ---
>    Using this example with your previous assertions of gun-toting:
> what do you think the attacker's reaction would be if you pulled
> out a gun and/or hesitated for a split second and/or missed
> your target? Maybe...just maybe...the same feelings that you
> felt when tear-gassed? Maybe worse? Maybe you'd survive the
> return attack? Maybe?
>    Maybe you better not carry a gun....

Or maybe I'd better hit my assailant immediately.

>                  /
>                =|--
>                = \
>                =
>              [][][]
>
> "...I don't know what this thing does, but it's pointing in your direction."

If you don't know what it does, then why are you aiming it at me?

If you don't know what it does, presume it's a weapon.

If it's a weapon, it's *always* loaded.  There are no *unloaded* weapons.

Never aim a loaded weapon at something you don't intend to destroy.

	Gun control:	Hitting your target, and nothing else.

				Sunny
--
{ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sun!sunny (Ms. Sunny Kirsten)

demillo@uwmacc.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) (07/31/85)

> > > To set the record straight, the voice of experience enters:
> > >
> > > The irritation of being gassed would only have increased
> > > my determination to do bodily harm to the perpetrator of the gas
> > > attack
> > > 				Sunny
> >
> >                            --- Rob DeMillo writes:
> >    Using this example with your previous assertions of gun-toting:
> > what do you think the attacker's reaction would be if you pulled
> > out a gun and/or hesitated for a split second and/or missed
> > your target? Maybe...just maybe...the same feelings that you
> > felt when tear-gassed? Maybe worse? Maybe you'd survive the
> > return attack? Maybe?
> >    Maybe you better not carry a gun....
>
> Or maybe I'd better hit my assailant immediately.

   Oh brother....

> >                  /
> >                =|--
> >                = \
> >                =
> >              [][][]
> >
> > "...I don't know what this thing does, but it's pointing in your direction."
>
> If you don't know what it does, then why are you aiming it at me?
>
> If you don't know what it does, presume it's a weapon.
>
> If it's a weapon, it's *always* loaded.  There are no *unloaded* weapons.
>
> Never aim a loaded weapon at something you don't intend to destroy.
>
> 	Gun control:	Hitting your target, and nothing else.
>
> 				Sunny
> --
> {ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sun!sunny (Ms. Sunny Kirsten)

   ...you said it, not me....think about it....