[net.women] rape and firearms and death

lonetto@phri.UUCP (Michael Lonetto) (07/17/85)

> >ie
> >If - Everyone wore a gun on their hip
> >	THEN - people would be more polite in general.
> >
> >(This doesn't and can't work for obvious reasons but I have heard it
>
> What are these "obvious" reasons? Before you flame right back, let me
> point you to an article that appeared on the front page of the Wall
> Street Journal some years ago, before the Russian invasion of
> Afghanistan. It was a background, travelogue-style piece on Afghanistan,
> which at that time was seldom mentioned in world news and was considered
> exotic and unknown.
>
> This article explicitly and specifically stated that Afghan society was
> more polite in interpersonal relations, and that petty crime was
> practically unknown, due *precisely* to the Afghan habit of ALWAYS going
> armed, no matter where you went. This is exactly the "wild west theory"
> stated above, and I think this one reference is all that is needed to
> prove that it is correct!

I wish to hell people would stop encouraging gun toting.  There is already
so much shooting in my neighborhood that the thought of EVERYONE being
armed is devastating.  I think if everyone carried a gun in NYC, or any
major city, all it would generate is an increase in the standard of living
of funeral directors.
--
____________________

Michael Lonetto  Public Health Research Institute,
455 1st Ave, NY, NY 10016
(allegra!phri!lonetto)

"BUY ART, NOT COCAINE"

sunny@sun.uucp (Ms. Sunny Kirsten) (07/18/85)

> I wish to hell people would stop encouraging gun toting.  There is already
> so much shooting in my neighborhood that the thought of EVERYONE being
> armed is devastating.  I think if everyone carried a gun in NYC, or any
> major city, all it would generate is an increase in the standard of living
> of funeral directors.

Or a decrease in the standard of living of muggers and burglers.

> Michael Lonetto  Public Health Research Institute,
> 455 1st Ave, NY, NY 10016
> (allegra!phri!lonetto)
>
> "BUY ART, NOT COCAINE"

I tend to agree that things get a little insane in the city, but there is
plenty of reason to keep a rifle rack in your pickup when you live in the
country.  Please keep your mind open and realize that what works for you
in your environment is not necessarily the optimal solution for others in
their environments.  It's time to recognize our constitutionally guaranteed
freedoms (including the right to bear arms, which cannot constitutionally
be infringed upon by the Feds, the State, the County, nor the City), and
stop trying to shove your preferred lifestyle down the throats of everyone
in the "United" states of amerika.

Personal Responsibility is the answer, not more governmental regulation.

				Sunny

p.s., I know cocaine isn't the answer to anything
	(except: q: "what *used* to be in 'classic' coca cola")
	but I'm not so sure that art is the universal answer either,
	nor necessarily appropriate to this forum nor discussion
	(though it does meet the requirement for a "cute" signoff).
--
{ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sun!sunny (Ms. Sunny Kirsten)

robert@fear.UUCP (Robert Plamondon) (07/20/85)

In article <329@phri.UUCP>, lonetto@phri.UUCP (Michael Lonetto) writes:
> I wish to hell people would stop encouraging gun toting.  There is already
> so much shooting in my neighborhood that the thought of EVERYONE being
> armed is devastating.  I think if everyone carried a gun in NYC, or any
> major city, all it would generate is an increase in the standard of living
> of funeral directors.
>
> Michael Lonetto

Well, that's gratitude for you!  There you are, protected by the
finest gun control laws in the country, and still complaining! :-)--

						"Quid me anxius sum?"
						    -- E. Alfredus Numanus
		Robert Plamondon
		{turtlevax, resonex, cae780}!weitek!robert

demillo@uwmacc.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) (07/20/85)

> > I wish to hell people would stop encouraging gun toting.  There is already
> > so much shooting in my neighborhood that the thought of EVERYONE being
> > armed is devastating.  I think if everyone carried a gun in NYC, or any
> > major city, all it would generate is an increase in the standard of living
> > of funeral directors.
 To which Sunney Kristen responds:

> Or a decrease in the standard of living of muggers and burglers.
.
.
.

> I tend to agree that things get a little insane in the city, but there is
> plenty of reason to keep a rifle rack in your pickup when you live in the
> country.  Please keep your mind open and realize that what works for you
> in your environment is not necessarily the optimal solution for others in
> their environments.  It's time to recognize our constitutionally guaranteed
> freedoms (including the right to bear arms, which cannot constitutionally
> be infringed upon by the Feds, the State, the County, nor the City), and
> stop trying to shove your preferred lifestyle down the throats of everyone
> in the "United" states of amerika.
>
> Personal Responsibility is the answer, not more governmental regulation.
>
> 				Sunny
>
> --
> {ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sun!sunny (Ms. Sunny Kirsten)

    Good lord...give me a break...

                 ...it's times like these, I wish I was reading a good book.

--
                           --- Rob DeMillo
                               Madison Academic Computer Center

                 /
               =|--
               = \
               =
             [][][]

"...I don't know what this thing does, but it's pointing in your direction."

lonetto@phri.UUCP (Michael Lonetto) (07/20/85)

> their environments.  It's time to recognize our constitutionally guaranteed
> freedoms (including the right to bear arms, which cannot constitutionally
> be infringed upon by the Feds, the State, the County, nor the City), and
> stop trying to shove your preferred lifestyle down the throats of everyone
> in the "United" states of amerika.
>

> 				Sunny

It so happens that carrying a conceiled weapon within the New York City limits
is illegal.  Carrying a weapon in public without conceiling it is no longer
considered stylish :-)

> > Michael Lonetto  Public Health Research Institute,
> > 455 1st Ave, NY, NY 10016
> > (allegra!phri!lonetto)
> >
> > "BUY ART, NOT COCAINE"
>
> p.s., I know cocaine isn't the answer to anything
> 	(except: q: "what *used* to be in 'classic' coca cola")
> 	but I'm not so sure that art is the universal answer either,
> 	nor necessarily appropriate to this forum nor discussion
> 	(though it does meet the requirement for a "cute" signoff).

The East Village is populated with artists, art galleries, "homesteaders",
very old polish jews, lesbians, transvestites, poor people of all description
and many, many cocaine dealers.  The signoff is a common graphito on the
streets.
--
____________________

rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) (07/22/85)

> their environments.  It's time to recognize our constitutionally guaranteed
> freedoms (including the right to bear arms, which cannot constitutionally
> be infringed upon by the Feds, the State, the County, nor the City), and
> stop trying to shove your preferred lifestyle down the throats of everyone
> in the "United" states of amerika.
>
> 				Sunny

I don't have a copy of the Constitution in front of me, but isn't that
"right" specifically granted for maintaining a militia?  I think there
is some difference between that and an individual's right to bear arms.

csdf@mit-vax.UUCP (Charles Forsythe) (07/23/85)

In article <875@ccice5.UUCP> rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) writes:
>> in the "United" states of amerika.
>>			     ^^^^^^^
>> 				Sunny

>I don't have a copy of the Constitution in front of me, but isn't that
>"right" specifically granted for maintaining a militia?  I think there
>is some difference between that and an individual's right to bear arms.

That was the original idea. The founding fathers decided that if the
citizens were armed, then they could defend the country (as in the
revolution) and we wouldn't need a standing army. Well, it didn't work
that way and now citizens need firearms to protect themselves from other
citizens with firearms. The Fifth Amendmant (right to bear arms) has
been veiwed as a big mistake by many gun-control supporting historians.
This is what I learned in history, but I've never read AMERIKAN history.

Anyway, this should move to net.politics.

--
Charles Forsythe
CSDF@MIT-VAX

sunny@sun.uucp (Ms. Sunny Kirsten) (07/23/85)

> > It's time to recognize our constitutionally guaranteed
> > freedoms (including the right to bear arms, which cannot constitutionally
> > be infringed upon by the Feds, the State, the County, nor the City)
> > 				Sunny
>
> It so happens that carrying a conceiled weapon within the New York City limits
> is illegal.  Carrying a weapon in public without conceiling it is no longer
> considered stylish :-)

You missed the point... the New York "Law" is illegal... that is, it is
invalid because it is counter to the constitution of the United States
of America, which it may not supersede.  Either that or the U.S.
Constitution has been suspended and none of us are under constitutional
law, i.e. that in governmental actions of 1913 or 1933 we all were
placed under Admiralty Jurisdiction by the Declaration of State of
Emergency which has existed ever since.

We weren't talking style, we're talking seriously about defending women from
violent attack.

--
{ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sun!sunny (Ms. Sunny Kirsten)

sunny@sun.uucp (Ms. Sunny Kirsten) (07/24/85)

> > their environments.  It's time to recognize our constitutionally guaranteed
> > freedoms (including the right to bear arms, which cannot constitutionally
> > be infringed upon by the Feds, the State, the County, nor the City), and
> > stop trying to shove your preferred lifestyle down the throats of everyone
> > in the "United" states of amerika.
> >
> > 				Sunny
>
> I don't have a copy of the Constitution in front of me, but isn't that
> "right" specifically granted for maintaining a militia?  I think there
> is some difference between that and an individual's right to bear arms.

The founders believed the people should be the militia, not hired mercenaries
(sometimes called an army).
--
{ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sun!sunny (Ms. Sunny Kirsten)

robert@fear.UUCP (Robert Plamondon) (07/24/85)

In article <875@ccice5.UUCP>, rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) writes:
> I don't have a copy of the Constitution in front of me, but isn't that
> "right" specifically granted for maintaining a militia?  I think there
> is some difference between that and an individual's right to bear arms.

The meaning of the word "militia" has shifted since the 1780's.
Then, it meant the muster of every able-bodied man able to bear arms.
Now, it means "National Guard."

The Founding Fathers would have considered the National Guard to be
somewhere between a "select militia" and a "standing army" -- not the
same thing at all.

The period following the revolutionary war was characterized by an
intense distrust of organized military force.  The main fear was that
the Federal Government would gain power and become a tyranny, and the
main defense against that was an armed citizenry.

If you think that's far-fetched, look at what happened to France
after the Revolution.  Napoleon's takeover was *EXACTLY* the kind of
thing people were worried about.

(Okay, I know this isn't really relevant to net.women, but the
question of arms keeps coming up.  As far as the *INTENT* of the
Founding Fathers goes, everyone has the right to keep and bear arms.)

--

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (07/24/85)

In article <875@ccice5.UUCP> rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) writes:
>> [remarks about constitutional right to bear arms]
>>
>> 				Sunny
>
>I don't have a copy of the Constitution in front of me, but isn't that
>"right" specifically granted for maintaining a militia?  I think there
>is some difference between that and an individual's right to bear arms.

Omigod!  Not again!  Would you please move this  to  mod.guns  or  whatever
it's called?  Net.women certainly doesn't need yet another rehashing of gun
control.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp TTI                      Common Sense is what tells you that a ten
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.             pound weight falls ten times as fast as a
Santa Monica, CA  90405           one pound weight.
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

slerner@sesame.UUCP (Simcha-Yitzchak Lerner) (07/25/85)

> > > I wish to hell people would stop encouraging gun toting.  There is already
> > > so much shooting in my neighborhood that the thought of EVERYONE being
> > > armed is devastating.  I think if everyone carried a gun in NYC, or any
> > > major city, all it would generate is an increase in the standard of living
> > > of funeral directors.

Unless you agree with the likes of Robert Heinlen. He theorizes that a society
that goes about armed, and is ready to use these arms to "right wrongs",
rapidly becomes a VERY polite society. (Anyone who can't learn to be polite
and insistes on being a pain in the butt is rapidly eliminated.)  He further
argues that the use of arms is self-limiting, that a person would not shoot
someone knowing that everyone will come gunning for HIM unless he had a VERY
good reason for shooting the victim that everyone would aggree with.

I am not advocating universal armament, but I don't want anyone telling
me that I can't defent myself.  (I suffered through 9 muggings in 3 years
in NYC before I got out.  I was never hurt seriously, and I put the mugger
in the hospital every time.  Laws won't stop the criminal element from
getting guns.  I demand the ability to defend myself with similar
arms.)

Remember, victims have rights too.

--
Opinions expressed are public domain, and do not belong to Lotus
Development Corp.

Simcha-Yitzchak Lerner

              {genrad|ihnp4|ima}!wjh12!talcott!sesame!slerner
                      {cbosgd|harvard}!talcott!sesame!slerner
                                slerner%sesame@harvard.ARPA

crs@lanl.ARPA (07/25/85)

> > their environments.  It's time to recognize our constitutionally guaranteed
> > freedoms (including the right to bear arms, which cannot constitutionally
> > be infringed upon by the Feds, the State, the County, nor the City), and
> > stop trying to shove your preferred lifestyle down the throats of everyone
> > in the "United" states of amerika.
> >
> > 				Sunny
>
> I don't have a copy of the Constitution in front of me, but isn't that
> "right" specifically granted for maintaining a militia?  I think there
> is some difference between that and an individual's right to bear arms.

While the importance of maintaining a militia is mentioned, the actual
guarantee is "...the right of the *people* to keep and bear arms shall
not be infringed." [emphasis added]

I am particularly sensitive to the interpretation that you suggested
because it is a stratagem often used by those who would weaken or
eliminate this constitutionally guaranteed rght of the *people*.
[I'm not saying that is your intent but there are those with that
intention.]

I find it difficult to believe that those who wrote our constitution
would have explicitly used the word *people* unless that is exactly
what they meant.  Before you decide in your own mindd if they meant
people or only the organized militia, think a bit about what they
had just gone through.  The new nation to be had just won independence
from an oppressive (or so we are told) ruler.  It was fresh in their
minds, as they wrote the constitution, that had private citiizens not
had firearms the war of independence would likely have had a far
different outcome.  I'm sure the king of England, to say nothing of
the British army would have loved to have had in effect the suggestion
that only the police and the military be allowed to own & carry guns.

While I would like to carry on this discussion (and I don't read
net.legal or net.politics) I suspect that it is about to wear out its
welcome in net.women.  *I* have not objection to its continuance
here but others may.

--
All opinions are mine alone...

Charlie Sorsby
...!{cmcl2,ihnp4,...}!lanl!crs
crs@lanl.arpa

gnome@olivee.UUCP (Gary Traveis) (07/29/85)

> In article <875@ccice5.UUCP> rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) writes:
> >> [remarks about constitutional right to bear arms]
> >> 				Sunny
> >
> >I don't have a copy of the Constitution in front of me, but isn't that
> >"right" specifically granted for maintaining a militia?  I think there
> >is some difference between that and an individual's right to bear arms.
>
> Omigod!  Not again!  Would you please move this  to  mod.guns  or  whatever
> it's called?  Net.women certainly doesn't need yet another rehashing of gun
> control.

I agree!  Get this gun stuff out of net.women!
BUT don't even think about mod.firearms -- it's not supposed to go there
either...

Stick it all in net.flames or /dev/null because net.women is getting to
be the most garbage-filled group on the net!

carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) (07/31/85)

Please note that I have specified that follow-ups shall go to
net.politics.

In article <> crs@lanl.ARPA writes:

> While the importance of maintaining a militia is mentioned, the actual
> guarantee is "...the right of the *people* to keep and bear arms shall
> not be infringed." [emphasis added]
> I find it difficult to believe that those who wrote our constitution
> would have explicitly used the word *people* unless that is exactly
> what they meant.

The phrase "the people" generally refers to a collective entity, as
in "We the people, in order to form a more perfect union..."  Hence
the use of the word "people" is not evidence that the authors of the
2nd Amendment had in mind individual gun ownership for use as
individuals.  Also, the phrase "to bear arms" means, and has always
meant, to serve in an organized military force, rather than merely to
carry a weapon.  Thus the "right of the people to bear arms" is the
right of the citizenry to form an armed militia.

The purpose of the 2nd Amendment, as I understand it, is to guarantee
the states the right to raise and arm militias.  On the "individual
right" interpretation it is hard to explain why "a well-regulated
militia" is mentioned.  The oppression of George III was indeed, as
you say, fresh in the minds of the new nation's citizens; they were
also doubtless well aware that armed but unorganized individuals
would have been completely ineffective in resisting the British army.
If you fear a potentially repressive government (as I do), you should
be aware that unorganized individuals armed with handguns would not
provide any resistance at all to the US or Red Armies or the like.

Every federal court decision bearing on the 2nd Amendment (including
five of the Supreme Court) has given the Amendment a collective
interpretation.  If you wish to disagree, please familiarize yourself
with the reasoning of the courts so that we will not have to go over
this well-trodden ground once again.

> I'm sure the king of England, to say nothing of
> the British army would have loved to have had in effect the suggestion
> that only the police and the military be allowed to own & carry guns.

This suggestion is a product of your imagination.  Militias, which
the 2nd amendment allows the people (through the states) to form and
arm, are distinct from the police and the military, and in any case
no one has ever proposed that guns be restricted to the police and
military.

I'm sorry if I annoyed anyone by posting this in net.women, but it's
an interesting topic and I hope someone will follow up in
net.politics.

Richard Carnes, ihnp4!gargoyle!carnes

pauly@zaphod.UUCP (Paul Yeager) (08/01/85)

In article <2475@sun.uucp> sunny@sun.uucp (Ms. Sunny Kirsten) writes:
>> > It's time to recognize our constitutionally guaranteed
>> > freedoms (including the right to bear arms, which cannot constitutionally
>> > be infringed upon by the Feds, the State, the County, nor the City)
>> > 				Sunny
>>
>> It so happens that carrying a conceiled weapon within the New York City limits
>> is illegal.  Carrying a weapon in public without conceiling it is no longer
>> considered stylish :-)
>
>You missed the point... the New York "Law" is illegal... that is, it is
>invalid because it is counter to the constitution of the United States
>of America, which it may not supersede.  Either that or the U.S.
>Constitution has been suspended and none of us are under constitutional
>law, i.e. that in governmental actions of 1913 or 1933 we all were
>placed under Admiralty Jurisdiction by the Declaration of State of
>Emergency which has existed ever since.
>
>We weren't talking style, we're talking seriously about defending women from
>violent attack.

You're mixing two separte issues here -

  1 - The constitutional right to bear arms in self defense

  2 - The (perceived by some) right to carry a concealed weapon

In most states, it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon (guns, knives
etc.).  For those whose situation merits it, in most states a permit
may be obtained to carry a concealed handgun.(albeit at quite a price).

It would be nice if we could insure that only those with permits
actually did carry concealed handguns.  If we changed the law so
anyone could do it, how many ex-cons and probationers do you think
would carry a piece that now would not consider it, as it almost
guarantees a trip back to the big house.

Furthermore, I presume your interest is self-protection and not a
desire to kill someone for having violated (or looked like they
might violate) your right to go about your life unmolested.
If my above presumtion is correct, I suggest to you the best
protection might result from carrying a gun in open view.  If some
sick person spots you toting a 357 magnum, they are most likely
to look for other prey.

Before I get mercilessly flamed for the above, let me state that
I realize there are a multitude of consequences of having lots of
people toting sidearms.  Society must somehow insure that people
who carry a gun are well trained in it's use, aware of the
consequences of it's use, and are not going start gunfights over
a parking place ( it's happened in my hometown, Miami).  A tall
order for certain, but maybe less tall than solving the
psychological problems of rapists, muggers, and robbers everywhere.

Paul Yeager (Miamian surviving in Saskatoon)

{the known universe}!ihnp4!alberta!sask!zaphod!pauly

no problems, just challenges.