[net.women] opportunities, women; "McDonald's `wage slaves'"

robert@fear.UUCP (Robert Plamondon) (07/24/85)

In article <1408@mnetor.UUCP>, sophie@mnetor.UUCP writes:
> > Except that the garbagemen have a union, and
> > hence get paid several times what the poor McDonalds' counter slaves get.
> > Surely this is unjust.
> > 				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
>
> Another reason why McDonald slaves get paid so little is that most of
> them are too young to receive minimum wages (what an understatement!
> McDoonad's fortune is based on the exploitation of child labor).  One
> would hope that EPFWEQ would contain provisions to end discrimination
> based on age.  McDonald and gang are certainly rich enough to be able
> to pay decent wages or at least minimum wages.
> --
> Sophie Quigley
> {allegra|decvax|ihnp4|linus|watmath}!utzoo!mnetor!sophie

I sincerely doubt that McDonalds exists solely because of *CANADA'S*
minimum wage structure.  In the U.S., the minimum wage covers
everyone.

In any event, claiming that part-time teenage workers are "wage
slaves" is ludicrous, when most of them are being supported, at least
in part, by their parents.  Even Marxist terms have definitions, you
know.  A "wage slave" was someone with so few prospects, such limited
mobility, and such curtailed liberty that he might as well be a slave
(in spite of earning wages).  This describes pre-revolutionary
Russian factory workers fairly well, but falls short on today's high
school students with part-time jobs.

Nice use of buzzwords, though: "wage slave," "child labor,"
"exploitation," "decent wage," "rich enough to be able to.." :-)

--

						"Quid me anxius sum?"
						    -- E. Alfredus Numanus

pauly@zaphod.UUCP (Paul Yeager) (08/01/85)

In article <230@fear.UUCP> robert@fear.UUCP (Robert Plamondon) writes:

>> > Except that the garbagemen have a union, and
>> > hence get paid several times what the poor McDonalds' counter slaves get.
>> > Surely this is unjust.
>> > 				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

Yes, it's terribly unjust, the garbagemen are overpaid.  This is a
demonstration of the law of supply and demand.  It's not a popular
profession, but nontheless an essential one, hence the pay stays high
so the streets don't fill with garbage.

>> Another reason why McDonald slaves get paid so little is that most of
>> them are too young to receive minimum wages (what an understatement!
>> McDoonad's fortune is based on the exploitation of child labor).  One
>> would hope that EPFWEQ would contain provisions to end discrimination
>> based on age.  McDonald and gang are certainly rich enough to be able
>> to pay decent wages or at least minimum wages.
>> --
>> Sophie Quigley
>> {allegra|decvax|ihnp4|linus|watmath}!utzoo!mnetor!sophie
>
>I sincerely doubt that McDonalds exists solely because of *CANADA'S*
>minimum wage structure.  In the U.S., the minimum wage covers
>everyone.

Almost everyone.  There are exceptions for certain businesses, such
as restaurants.

Ms. Quigley seems to forget that there is no free lunch.  The corner
McD's exists because someone (or group of people) spent $50k - $100k
of their hard earned money to buy a franchise.  They didn't do this
for fun, they did it to make a profit. (I realize some folks equate
profit with sin, what can I say??)  If you legislate higher wages
for the employees, the franchisee will just raise his prices to
maintain his return on investment.  Then the public gets to subsidize
those higher wages.  Is that fair??

>In any event, claiming that part-time teenage workers are "wage
>slaves" is ludicrous, when most of them are being supported, at least
>in part, by their parents.  Even Marxist terms have definitions, you
>know.  A "wage slave" was someone with so few prospects, such limited
>mobility, and such curtailed liberty that he might as well be a slave
>(in spite of earning wages).  This describes pre-revolutionary
>Russian factory workers fairly well, but falls short on today's high
>school students with part-time jobs.
>
>Nice use of buzzwords, though: "wage slave," "child labor,"
>"exploitation," "decent wage," "rich enough to be able to.." :-)
>
>		Robert Plamondon
>		{turtlevax, resonex, cae780}!weitek!robert

Well said, Mr. Plamondon!

I wish we had as much 'this is how we can fix it' as we have
'this is what is wrong' in this group, and in the world for
that matter.

Paul Yeager      {the universe}!ihnp4!alberta!sask!zaphod!pauly

"There's no such thing as a free lunch"