[net.women] Rape and the network

dimitrov@csd2.UUCP (Isaac Dimitrovsky) (07/28/85)

[]

I just realized something. There have been several women on the network
who have revealed that they were raped, and so there are probably quite
a few more who were raped but didn't want to talk about it in this kind
of a forum. It seems to me that this makes it pretty likely that there
are several men on the network who have raped women. I don't know what
the moral of this is. I was just reading net.women when this occured to
me, disturbing me enough to write this.

Isaac Dimitrovsky
allegra!cmcl2!csd2!dimitrov   (l in cmcl2 is letter l not number 1)
251 Mercer Street, New York NY 10012

norman@lasspvax.UUCP (Norman Ramsey) (08/03/85)

In article <4160018@csd2.UUCP> dimitrov@csd2.UUCP (Isaac Dimitrovsky) writes:
>[]
>
>I just realized something. There have been several women on the network
>who have revealed that they were raped, and so there are probably quite
>a few more who were raped but didn't want to talk about it in this kind
>of a forum. It seems to me that this makes it pretty likely that there
>are several men on the network who have raped women. I don't know what
>the moral of this is. I was just reading net.women when this occured to
>me, disturbing me enough to write this.

Moreover, it is a statistical near certainty that a woman *you* know (that
is, a friend of yours) has been raped. This bothered me a lot when I first
learned about it and I think it still does.

I don't knoww hwat the comparable statistics are for men (rapists).

Norman