[net.women] Virtus Dormitiva

dzd@cosivax.UUCP (Dean Douthat) (08/03/85)

In message <6443@ucla-cs.ARPA> Eric McColm writes:
>To coin a word:  "rapism", the disorder that both allows and compels certain
>men to rape.  Very little is known about it.  It is possible the rapist has
>a view of the world that is very different from that of others.  Understanding
>this world view could provide the basis for eliminating rape, at last and
>forever.

In  Moliere's  play  "La  Malade'  Imaginaire",  the protagonist is a "learned
doctor".  When asked what in opium puts people to sleep, he "explained" it  is
virtus  dormitiva  [Latin:  sleep-producing  power].   Other examples: Aether,
phlogiston (heat flow), ascorbic (no scurvy) acid.  No doubt the  good  doctor
would be right at home with illness theories of criminality.
--
Dean Z. Douthat

   I have no connection with COSI except as a guest on their local network

If one were to bring together all customs considered sacred by some group and
then to take away all customs considered immoral by some group, nothing
would remain.

Anacharsis