[net.women] Comparable Worth -- Myth and Method

dzd@cosivax.UUCP (Dean Douthat) (07/20/85)

> In <31600137@uiucdcs>  Scott McEwan writes:
> From time to time in this discussion, people have mentioned "garbageman"
> as an example of an overpaid profession. I want to point out that garbage
> collecting is a hazardous job. There is a fairly high risk of disease (not
> to mention the fact that the job is just generally unpleasant). You couldn't
> pay me enough to collect garbage. I suspect that if the salaries were
> regulated so that garbagemen and McDonald's counter workers were paid the
> same, then McDonald's would have more job applicants than they know what
> to do with, and no one would be collecting garbage.

It  seems to me that Scott has hit upon the key to a possible solution to this
comparable worth problem.  To explain this, let me first make an analogy  that
I  hope  will  clarify  the approach.  Consider the problem of making a sports
book, that is betting on outcomes of sports events.   This  is  a  problem  of
determining  comparable worth between opposing teams.   If, say, Oklahoma (OK)
is playing football against Slippery Rock State Teachers College  (SRSTC),  we
have  an  analogous situation to that Scott cited.  Like Scott, I suspect that
if the point spreads were regulated so that OK and SRSTC bettors were paid the
same, then bookmakers would have more OK bettors than they  know  what  to  do
with, and no one would be betting on SRSTC.

This is quite a potential disaster for bookmakers, since, in fact, the chances
are  overwhelming  that  OK  *will* beat SRSTC and the bookies will lose their
collective shirts.  Thus a straight bet is not fair, in short, the  comparable
worth of the two teams is not equal.  To equalize the bet, points are given to
the  weaker  team, in bookie talk, the bet is, for example, SRSTC +49, meaning
OK is worth 49 points more than SRSTC.  Thus points are used as a  metric  for
comparable  worth,  just like salary for jobs.  We might even go so far as  to
call such a metric a `medium  of  exchange'.   We  now  come  to  the  crucial
question  of  comparable  worth  for football books: "Who determines the point
spreads and on what basis?"  There are two answers to this  question,  popular
myth and actual method.

The  myth is that somewhere (probably Las Vegas) there dwells a football point
spread guru (probably Nick The Greek) who sets  the  point  spreads  for  each
football  game  each  week.   This  guru studies all these teams strengths and
weakness and comes up with a semi-mystical measure  of  comparable  worth  for
each  opposing  pair.   When I place a bet, I am actually betting against this
guru.  This is quite a useful myth to the bookies  since  *all*  bettors  feel
they  are  betting  against the guru, *no matter which side they bet on.* This
can hardly be true since then the bookies have no possibility of winning.  But
you can understand the PR value such a myth has to the  bookies.   That's  why
they  carefully  foster  it  by  having  actual  bookies  like  Nick The Greek
appearing on TV and the like.

Reality,  of course, is far less colorful.  In fact, the bookies *never gamble
at all*; there is simply *no possibility* that the bookies can lose.  It works
like this, the point spreads are *adjusted*  throughout  the  week  until  the
number  betting for OK is *exactly equal to* the number betting for SRSTC.  If
I bet on OK, I am not betting against the guru that OK will beat SRSTC by more
than 49, rather I am betting against the hundreds of  thousands  who  bet  the
opposite.   The  point  spread  then  is  a  consensus  evaluation by multiple
thousands of football fans of the comparable worth of OK and SRSTC.   All  the
bookies  are  doing  is  providing  a service that allows this consensus to be
arrived at and expressed conveniently.  Notice that once this balance of  bets
is  achieved,  it eliminates the possibility of loss by bookies.  Their profit
comes from a commission  for  these  services  (usually  10%)  levied  against
*winning* bets only.

Now back to garbage and McDonald's.  (Uh, well sure, that's all right.)  Let's
apply  the  bookie solution.  The method, employers adjust the pay for counter
worker until the number of applicants is *exactly  equal  to*  the  number  of
openings and then do the same for garbage collecters.  We might even go so far
as  to  call  these balancing salaries `market clearing prices for labor'.  In
this way, thousands of prospective counter workers and garbage collecters  can
reach  consensus  on their worth.  Finally, take a ratio between the balancing
salaries arrived at for the two.  Presto!  a consensus measure  of  comparable
worth.

According  to  Scott's  surmise,  the  worth  of  garbage  collecting would be
considerably higher than that of counter  worker.   But  we  needn't  rely  on
Scott's  opinion nor on that of anybody else.  It is the consensus of the *job
applicants themselves* which determines worth.  The  employers  fill  the  same
role  as  the  bookies  by providing a mechanism to allow this consensus to be
arrived at and expressed.  But they charge no fee for this service.

Then  there's the mythical approach.  Congress could pass laws and spend money
so that somewhere (probably Washington D.C.)  there would dwell a salary  guru
(probably a high school drop out) who sets salaries each week for every job in
each region of the nation...

Dean Douthat

jchapman@watcgl.UUCP (john chapman) (07/24/85)

 Dean Douthat writes (to paraphrase) : employers = bookies and the result is
 a consenus as to occupation worth.

 Good analogy except for a couple things here and there.

 1.
 Perhaps societys highest goal should not necessarily be to maximize the
 bookies (employers) earnings.  Prove to me that a healthy, happy society
 requires this type of "end" to be pursued.

 2.
 In our society people do not have the freedom to bet on whichever team
 they choose (have whatever job/position they desire).  You have chosen
 a biased paradigm and then demonstrated internal consistency.  This
 says nothing about whether the state of affairs described is desirable
 which is certainly the pertinent question to ask.

--

	John Chapman
	...!watmath!watcgl!jchapman

	Disclaimer : These are not the opinions of anyone but me
		     and they may not even be mine.

cgeiger@ut-ngp.UTEXAS (charles s. geiger) (07/26/85)

> Now back to garbage and McDonald's.  (Uh, well sure, that's all
> right.)  Let's apply  the  bookie solution.  The method, employers
> adjust the pay for counter worker until the number of applicants is
> *exactly  equal  to*  the  number  of openings and then do the same
> for garbage collecters.  We might even go so far as  to  call these
> balancing salaries `market clearing prices for labor'.  In this way,
> thousands of prospective counter workers and garbage collecters  can
> reach  consensus  on their worth.  Finally, take a ratio between the
> balancing salaries arrived at for the two.  Presto!  a consensus
> measure of comparable worth.

But we all know that this economic theory junk *doesn't* work in
real life!  An example that quickly comes to mind is one that
people are always bringing up on the net--nurses:  there's always a
shortage of nurses, but salaries never go up (in addition,
physicians' attitudes towards nurses never get any better, but
that's another story) to attract more possible nurses.

Of course, I don't hold out for any *real* comparable worth
legislation ever; it would turn the whole society upside down.  For
me, *real* comparable worth would mean that people who worked shit
jobs (like secretary, garbage collector, Jack-in-the-Box worker)
would get paid a premium; they are necessary jobs that others are
unwilling to do.  Professionals would get paid *less*, because they
generally enjoy their work and derive a great deal of satisfaction
from it (who cares that they spent years in school developing
skills?  nobody made them).  Yes, that means you, computer
programmers!

Charles S. Geiger
Department of Economics
University of Texas

robert@fear.UUCP (Robert Plamondon) (07/30/85)

In article <2241@watcgl.UUCP>, jchapman@watcgl.UUCP (john chapman) writes:
>  1.
>  Perhaps societys highest goal should not necessarily be to maximize the
>  bookies (employers) earnings.  Prove to me that a healthy, happy society
>  requires this type of "end" to be pursued.

What 'society' are you talking about?  The average person on the street
(you know: the person with one breast, one testicle, and .8
children)? The Great Conspiracy of the Fat Cats Against the Oppressed
(soon to be a major motion picture)?

What higher goal is there than acting according to your conscience?
--

		Robert Plamondon
		{turtlevax, resonex, cae780}!weitek!robert

In article <2171@ut-ngp.UTEXAS>, cgeiger@ut-ngp.UTEXAS (charles s. geiger) writes:
> But we all know that this economic theory junk *doesn't* work in
> real life!  An example that quickly comes to mind is one that
> people are always bringing up on the net--nurses:  there's always a
> shortage of nurses, but salaries never go up ...
> to attract more possible nurses.

> Charles S. Geiger
> Department of Economics
> University of Texas

That's because the nurses' employers aren't really all that
interested in running their hospitals fully staffed.  If the shortage
of nurses got to the point where it interfered with hospital INCOME
(by being so shortstaffed that they had to turn away paying
customers) things would start to turn around.

(Do you have to be a jerk to run a hospital, or does it just help?)

In businesses where the medium-term survival of the company depends
on being fully staffed with good people, supply and demand is very,
very real.
--

jchapman@watcgl.UUCP (john chapman) (08/07/85)

> In article <2241@watcgl.UUCP>, jchapman@watcgl.UUCP (john chapman) writes:
> >  1.
> >  Perhaps societys highest goal should not necessarily be to maximize the
> >  bookies (employers) earnings.  Prove to me that a healthy, happy society
> >  requires this type of "end" to be pursued.
>
> What 'society' are you talking about?  The average person on the street
> (you know: the person with one breast, one testicle, and .8
> children)? The Great Conspiracy of the Fat Cats Against the Oppressed
> (soon to be a major motion picture)?
  Take a look around; see over there? That one, thats the society I'm
  talking about - the one, I assume, your living in.

 p.s. maybe this ought to be moved out of net.women?

> What higher goal is there than acting according to your conscience?
  If you've got one perhaps none.