[net.women] Finding a Peer Group You Can Trust

barryg@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Lee Gold) (08/05/85)

Out here in LA the local SF fans seem to abide pretty much by the mores
Heinlein outlined in "Moon Is A harsh Mistress" for his Lunar society
(which--like SF fandom--was based on women being scarce and independent
creatures):  intimacy and complexity of relationship (how far & how
many men) depends on the woman's choice.  SF fans typically spend parties
talking (or sometimes singing) to all hours.  I've never known one to try to
get a woman drunk or drugged to nsure cooperation.

I have over the last 18 years run into two cases of "rape" among SF fans,
with both of the women testifying, "He just kept on talking and talking,
and wouldn't stop.  No, he never threatened me physically or made me feel
physically in danger."  In one case afterwards, the woman's friends called
on the guy afterwards and told him, "Your affair is over.  She doesn't want
you any more.  She's just too shy to tell you.  Leave her alone from now
on." He did.***In the other case, the woman's friends first suggested she
take legal action, but the DA wasn't interested, so the guy was expelled
from the local fan club.

All I've seen at SF conventions suggests that these standards pretty much
prevail among fans nation-wide.

--Lee Gold

djw@lanl.ARPA (08/09/85)

In article <2227@sdcrdcf.UUCP> barryg@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Lee Gold) writes:
>Out here in LA the local SF fans seem to abide pretty much by the mores
>Heinlein outlined in "Moon Is A harsh Mistress" for his Lunar society

How does one find a SF-fan club?  How does one find out about the "Fanzines"?

David Wade