[net.women] charges and convictions

regard@ttidcc.UUCP (Adrienne Regard) (08/06/85)

What I'd like to know is:

If a woman is raped, can she press charges for battery instead of rape,
or does the definition of battery specifically exclude sexual battery?

Given some of the horror stories I've heard from women, I might prefer to
press battery charges than sit through a whole bunch of prejudice and
courtroom circuses.  Seems to me the definition of battery would certainly
cover what actually occurs during a rape, and if the chances of conviction
where equal or higher, that might be the way to go.  Certainly battery
cannot be a lesser charge, and it must not be a greater charge!?!

Anybody out there know?

Adrienne Regard

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (08/06/85)

In article <630@ttidcc.UUCP> regard@ttidcc.UUCP (Adrienne Regard) writes:
>If a woman is raped, can she press charges for battery instead of rape,
>or does the definition of battery specifically exclude sexual battery?

I suspect that most men tried for rape  are  also  tried  for  assault  and
battery  at the same time.  It's just that the more spectacular rape charge
tends to overshadow the  less  interesting  assault  and  battery  (not  to
mention breaking and entering and kidnap if those occured).

>Given some of the horror stories I've heard from women, I might prefer to
>press battery charges than sit through a whole bunch of prejudice and
>courtroom circuses.  Seems to me the definition of battery would certainly
>cover what actually occurs during a rape, and if the chances of conviction
>where equal or higher, that might be the way to go.  Certainly battery
>cannot be a lesser charge, and it must not be a greater charge!?!

Unfortunately, battery is often treated as a lesser charge by  the  courts,
regardless  of the law or how we feel about it.  The reason is that battery
is one of the most common crimes committed (the average bar room brawl  can
generate  dozens  of  counts).  If  they  jailed everyone who was guilty of
battery they'd have to throw the murderers  out  on  the  street  (and  the
rapists).

As a result, the typical rapist might well try  to  plea-bargain  the  rape
down  to a simple assault and battery for which they would probably receive
probation rather than hard time.  If the victim chooses not  to  press  the
rape charge that's probably what will happen, too.

Sorry, Adrienne, there is no free lunch.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp TTI                      Common Sense is what tells you that a ten
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.             pound weight falls ten times as fast as a
Santa Monica, CA  90405           one pound weight.
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

desjardins@h-sc1.UUCP (marie desjardins) (08/07/85)

> >Given some of the horror stories I've heard from women, I might prefer to
> >press battery charges than sit through a whole bunch of prejudice and
> >courtroom circuses.  Seems to me the definition of battery would certainly
> >cover what actually occurs during a rape, and if the chances of conviction
> >where equal or higher, that might be the way to go.  Certainly battery
> >cannot be a lesser charge, and it must not be a greater charge!?!
>
> Unfortunately, battery is often treated as a lesser charge by  the  courts,
> regardless  of the law or how we feel about it.  The reason is that battery
> is one of the most common crimes committed (the average bar room brawl  can
> generate  dozens  of  counts).  If  they  jailed everyone who was guilty of
> battery they'd have to throw the murderers  out  on  the  street  (and  the
> rapists).

Why would battery not be a lesser charge than rape?  Rape seems awfully
serious to me (yes, so does battery), especially for repeat offenders
(certainly more comparable to, say, a murder charge than battery).  Or
do I misunderstand the legal meaning of the term "battery"?

marie desjardins park

lmc@denelcor.UUCP (Lyle McElhaney) (08/09/85)

> Why would battery not be a lesser charge than rape?  Rape seems awfully
> serious to me (yes, so does battery), especially for repeat offenders
> (certainly more comparable to, say, a murder charge than battery).  Or
> do I misunderstand the legal meaning of the term "battery"?

Battery - the unlawful beating of another person, including every willful,
angry and violent touching of another's person or clothes or anything
attached to his person or held by him.

...as opposed to...

Assault - an apparantly violent attempt or a wilfull offer with force and
violence to do hurt to another without the actual doing of the hurt
threatened (as with lifting a fist or cane in a threatening manner).

I believe that what the original poster was referring to in suggesting
charges of battery rather than rape is that battery does not not carry
the traditional male/female loaded conotations that rape does, and
therefore the chances of conviction would be more likely, and cost the
victim less in emotional upset. Which is probably true. Unfortunately, as
was pointed out, battery is considered a much smaller crime than rape,
with much more lenient punishment (I think it is classed as a
misdemeanor, whereas rape is generally a felony). Too bad, too.

Lyle McElhaney
...denelcor!lmc

In article <505@h-sc1.UUCP> desjardins@h-sc1.UUCP (marie desjardins) writes:

>Why would battery not be a lesser charge than rape?  Rape seems awfully
>serious to me (yes, so does battery), especially for repeat offenders
>(certainly more comparable to, say, a murder charge than battery).  Or
>do I misunderstand the legal meaning of the term "battery"?

I think if anything you overestimate the seriousness of battery.  As I
understand it, any violence directed against another person is battery.
E.g., punching someone.  A crime yes, but not necessarily a very serious
crime.

mikei@hammer.UUCP (Michael IsBell) (08/12/85)

----------

***

> What I'd like to know is:
>
> If a woman is raped, can she press charges for battery instead of rape,
> or does the definition of battery specifically exclude sexual battery?
>
> Given some of the horror stories I've heard from women, I might prefer to
> press battery charges than sit through a whole bunch of prejudice and
> courtroom circuses.  Seems to me the definition of battery would certainly
> cover what actually occurs during a rape, and if the chances of conviction
> where equal or higher, that might be the way to go.  Certainly battery
> cannot be a lesser charge, and it must not be a greater charge!?!
>
> Anybody out there know?
>
> Adrienne Regard

What is typically known as the crime of 'battery' is covered by 4
different degrees of 'assault' in the state of Oregon. The problem
is that all but 4th degree assault require 'serious physical injury'
or other limiting criteria (use of deadly weapon, etc.). Consequently,
it would be difficult to get a conviction for felonious assault (3rd
degree or higher) in a garden variety rape (force, but no serious
injury).  Fourth degree assault is a class 'A' misdemeanor with a
maximum punishment of 1 year in the county jail.

On the other hand, forcible rape (1st degree) is a class 'A' felony
and is punishable by up to 20 years in the penitentiary. If a firearm
was used in its commission a minimum of 5 years must be imposed under
an enhanced sentencing statute.

I see a significant disparity between the punishments.

	mikei