[net.women] Make vs. Rape

nap@druxo.UUCP (ParsonsNA) (06/28/85)

> More seriously, the phrasing of the question is *REAL* important.
> If the word "rape" was used, I find the statistic hard to believe.
> If the phrase "make the woman have sex with you"...
>                      ...this is quite different.

I know this is several weeks old, but would someone explain to me the
difference between "making someone have sex" and "rape"...I thought that
rape is "making" someone have sex...

Nancy Parsons
AT&T ISL

zubbie@ihlpl.UUCP (Jeanette Zobjeck) (06/28/85)

> I know this is several weeks old, but would someone explain to me the
> difference between "making someone have sex" and "rape"...I thought that
> rape is "making" someone have sex...
>
> Nancy Parsons
> AT&T ISL

The difference is obvious:

	Making someone have sex with you implies that they still consent
	to the sexual **congress** even though they might much rather
	be in Pittsburgh at the time. (;-) (unless they are
	already in  Pittsburgh that is)

	RAPE  is violently FORCING a sexual act on a persons body
	regardless of age, sex objecttion, resistance or any other
	concern of the person being raped.

While rape usually involves some kind of sexually related action there
is no sex involved (Where sex is defined as the act of sexual coupling).
Maybe the difference seems very fine and perhaps even arbitrary the
semantics involved only help to confuse the issue. It is very
difficult to define an act or concept or anything at all when the
key words used in the thing to be described appear in the definition
as well.

ie

	pastel red is a color which is less red than the normally
		thought of color red.

Poor choice of example perhaps but mabe it gets the point accross if you
think of is as:

	Rape is a violently sexual act which involves sex as the
	means which one person  uses to exhibit dominance over another.

Although sex is used on both sides each use has a totally different meaning
which is not inherantly obvious at first reading. This seems to have been
the source of many misunderstood postings dealing with the concept that
rape is violence not sex.

jeanette l. zobjeck
ihnp4!ihlpl!zubbie

These are my opinions!
I worked for them and I intend to enjoy them.
Handle carefully or else someone might think they are yours also.
         ~~~
        (o o)                  *************************
|WMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWM  /MWMW|    *  TO HELL WITH THE DOG *
|MWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMW | WMWM|    *      -*-*-*-*-*-*-    *
_________I_I________|/_____    *   WATCH OUT FOR THE   *
                               *         OWNER         *
                               *************************

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (07/05/85)

> > More seriously, the phrasing of the question is *REAL* important.
> > If the word "rape" was used, I find the statistic hard to believe.
> > If the phrase "make the woman have sex with you"...
> >                      ...this is quite different.
>
> I know this is several weeks old, but would someone explain to me the
> difference between "making someone have sex" and "rape"...I thought that
> rape is "making" someone have sex...
>
> Nancy Parsons
> AT&T ISL

Being the original poster, let me clarify what I meant.  "Rape" means to
use force or the threat of force (plus a few other special cases for
unconsciousness); "make the woman have sex with you" *can* include
annoying ("have sex with me, or I'll say nasty things about you",
whining ("please, please"), attempting to provoke guilt ("if you don't
have sex with me, all the money I spent on dinner is wasted").  These
are all real tacky and disgusting things to do, but they aren't rape,
and they are probably not criminal matters.

brianc@tekla.UUCP (Brian Conley) (07/12/85)

> > More seriously, the phrasing of the question is *REAL* important.
> > If the word "rape" was used, I find the statistic hard to believe.
> > If the phrase "make the woman have sex with you"...
> >                      ...this is quite different.
>
> I know this is several weeks old, but would someone explain to me the
> difference between "making someone have sex" and "rape"...I thought that
> rape is "making" someone have sex...
>
> Nancy Parsons
> AT&T ISL

Apparently Nancy the writer believes that rape is a "Violent" crime,
thus rape requires violence or the threat of violence.  Psychological or
emotional trauma is not preceived by the writer as being violent or injurous.

(As an asside, perhaps the writer would like to be the subject of some
experiments is psychological warfare and torture, just to see how it compares
to physical pain.)

Either that or the turkey thinks that women LIKE S & M or B & D.

chrisa@azure.UUCP (Chris Andersen) (07/14/85)

In article <288@tekla.UUCP> brianc@tekla.UUCP (Brian Conley) writes:

>> I know this is several weeks old, but would someone explain to me the
>> difference between "making someone have sex" and "rape"...I thought that
>> rape is "making" someone have sex...
>>
>> Nancy Parsons
>> AT&T ISL
>
>Apparently Nancy the writer believes that rape is a "Violent" crime,
>thus rape requires violence or the threat of violence.  Psychological or
>emotional trauma is not preceived by the writer as being violent or injurous.

[Just an asside: I think it is always dangerous to put words in another persons
mouth.  It makes them look bad, it makes you look bad, and makes them want to
strike back at you.]

>(As an asside, perhaps the writer would like to be the subject of some
>experiments is psychological warfare and torture, just to see how it compares
>to physical pain.)

Really, do you think saying this is nescessary?  Do you really think that Nancy
doesn't understand that psychological pain *is* pain.

I have found that when people make postings they make subcounscious assumptions
about what they are saying  (ie "this point need not be stated since it will
get across anyway").  Also, no one can keep up a constant guard against
saying things that one second thought they would consider absurb (I'm talking
generally here, not specifically about Nancy).  If you read a posting where
someone says something that sounds, to you, absurb, don't lash back at them,
just tell them that you think it is absurb *AND* *WHY* you think it is absurb.
I think this will go a long way tworads alleviating bad feelings on the net.

>that or the turkey thinks that women LIKE S & M or B & D.

I would like to point out that there are some women who do like S&M and B&D.
I don't know any personally, but I have listened enough to the media (no
not mens magazines!) to know that there are both men *AND* women who like
S&M and B&D.

Also note that I said *some*, not all.  So don't flame me for saying that
women want to be raped.  Because I have never said that, and I never will.

Life,
  Love,
    Laughter,
      and Hope,

	Chris Andersen
--
"Roads?  Where we're going we don't need any roads!"

csdf@mit-vax.UUCP (Charles Forsythe) (07/15/85)

<381@mit-vax.UUCP> cancelled from rn.

rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) (07/16/85)

> Either that or the turkey thinks that women LIKE S & M or B & D.

Some women do.  So do some men.  So what?  There is NOT a fine line
between sex of a consenting nature and rape.  And there are people
who will consent to the above.  If the "turkey" thinks that way, SHE
is not the one with the faulty thought process. :-)

nap@druxo.UUCP (ParsonsNA) (08/03/85)

>>> Me:
>>> I know this is several weeks old, but would someone explain to me the
>>> difference between "making someone have sex" and "rape"...I thought that
>>> rape is "making" someone have sex...

>> Brian:
>> Apparently Nancy the writer believes that rape is a "Violent" crime,
>> thus rape requires violence or the threat of violence.  Psychological or
>> emotional trauma is not preceived by the writer as being violent or injurous.

Me:
That was the whole point of my posting...Any force (physical,
psychological, emotional, economic, etc.) used to *make* someone have
(so-called) sex *IS*, in my opinion, *RAPE*.

Chris:
> I have found that when people make postings they make subcounscious
> assumptions about what they are saying  (ie "this point need not be
> stated since it will get across anyway").  Also, no one can keep up a
> constant guard against saying things that one second thought they would
> consider absurb...

Me:
Okay, I'm dense.  Will *SOMEBODY* please explain what it is that I'm
missing in this discussion?  Why is my contention that "any force used to
coerce someone to 'have sex' constitutes rape" being interpreted as the
opposite?

P.S. Sorry to drag this up weeks after the original posting, but I was on
vacation, it has taken me weeks to get caught up on everything, and I
really do want to understand what my blunder was.

Nancy Parsons
AT&T ISL
ihnp4!drutx!druxo!nap

brianc@tekla.UUCP (Brian Conley) (08/08/85)

> Me:
> ...  Will *SOMEBODY* please explain what it is that I'm
> missing in this discussion?  Why is my contention that "any force used to
> coerce someone to 'have sex' constitutes rape" being interpreted as the
> opposite?
>
> Nancy Parsons
> AT&T ISL
> ihnp4!drutx!druxo!nap

Before I begin let me try to clarify past responses:

1) I agree with you that coercing someone to have sex is rape.
2) Reading the original writer's response to your (Nancy's) question
  (which I read after I wrote my response) has caused me to take another
  look at this question.
3) Chris' commentary (which I assume was directed at me in particular and
   future respondents in general) to "think before writing", caused me
   to think even more on the question.

so here goes...

Although Webster defines rape as "unlawful sexual intercourse by force or
 threat . . . " it does not say whether this force or threat must be physical
 or can be any other form of trauma.

Obviously this discussion is getting away form the subject of violent rape,
which I'll call obvious rape, and into another form of rape, latent rape or
"DATE RAPE".

The substance of the original writer's answer to Nancy's question was that
"making someone have sex with you" is not coercion but "persuasion"
(whether he included pleading, begging, whimpering, etc. I do not remember.).
Thus it is RAPE ONLY if you use a "sales technique" which YOU find
"morally objectionable".  Of course there ARE people who believe that
using force as a method of persuasion is NOT morally objectionable.

As a non sexual example of this idea, consider home computers.
How many people do you know who were "persuaded" to buy a home computer
to help educate their child and prevent the child from being "illiterate
of technology"?  The premis here is that if you don't buy this thing, YOU
will be hurting YOUR child!  Is this a threat?  Is it coercion?
Or is it persuasion?
Personally, I don't think this is a threat or coercion, just absurd logic
and an immoral sales tactic.  However, many people see nothing wrong with
this technique.

I hope this has cleared up some of the confusion on this, although I think
that I've probably just reopened a can of worms and offended many people.
Please also remember that this is MY ANALYSIS of SOMEONE ELSES REPLY,
and I may have misinterpreted the reply.

rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) (08/08/85)

> Me:
> That was the whole point of my posting...Any force (physical,
> psychological, emotional, economic, etc.) used to *make* someone have
> (so-called) sex *IS*, in my opinion, *RAPE*.
>
> Nancy Parsons

Well, if this is a working definition of rape, I will hazard to guess
that most men, and many women, are rapists.  Sorry, I don't consider
myself one.

BTW, before I get flamed, let me point out that none of the females I
may, or may not (since it's really none of your business), have had sex
with have never indicated that they consider me a rapist either.

oaf@mit-vax.UUCP (Oded Feingold) (08/09/85)

I think there's a difference, though they shade  into  each  other  at
some   undefined   point.    The  examples  below  are  tentative  and
idiosyncratic.  They're  intended  to  make  plausible  the  case  for
claiming such a difference exists, not nail it down.

    "Make:"    Wheedling,   begging,  threats  of  withholding  future
attention/affection/support/whatever.  "I'll be so hurt and  my  balls
will  ache  and I won't get any sleep tonight and be miserable all day
tomorrow if you say no."  "If you can't even share your body  with  me
you're  not  worth my time, let alone the price of dinner."  Implies a
continuing relationship, however exploitive.  In fact,  the  aggressor
may  like  (or  think  he  likes) the victim, but dominance and sexual
satisfaction come first.  [Is it okay to  use  "he"  blithely  in  the
preceding sentence?]

    "Rape:"  Threat or actuality of  violence,  humiliation,  physical
force,  etc.  The only continuing relationship implied in such actions
consists of future depredations, with the victim unable to  break  the
cycle.   This  works  especially  well  on  children,  who  might  not
comprehend there exists a justice system which considers  such  things
actionable.

    Where they shade into each other:  Power relationships - "We  fuck
or  you  lose  your  job."   "We  fuck or your husband doesn't get the
job/funding/whatever."  "If you won't sleep with  me  you  can  forget
about  getting a degree from this place."  [Variants: "I'll give you a
better grade."  "I'll give your concert a better  review."]   "If  you
fuck  me  willingly  we're still friends, but if not then I'm going to
take what I want anyway.  So which is it gonna  be?"   Naah,  most  of
those  are  too  crude.   Maybe someone else can find a less clear-cut
example.

Comments?  Here's one:  I find  this  class  of  discussion  ugly  and
depressing, but that's what net.women is for, presumably.  If not, I'm
sure I'll hear about it.
--
Oded Feingold	{decvax, harvard, mit-eddie}!mitvax!oaf	    oaf%oz@mit-mc.ARPA
MIT AI Laboratory    545 Tech Square    Cambridge, Mass. 02139    617-253-8598

linda@amdcad.UUCP (Linda Seltzer) (08/14/85)

>     "Rape:"  Threat or actuality of  violence,  humiliation,  physical
> force,  etc.  The only continuing relationship implied in such actions
> consists of future depredations, with the victim unable to  break  the
> cycle.   This  works  especially  well  on  children,  who  might  not
> comprehend there exists a justice system which considers  such  things
> actionable.
>
>     Where they shade into each other:  Power relationships - "We  fuck
> or  you  lose  your  job."   "We  fuck or your husband doesn't get the
> job/funding/whatever."  "If you won't sleep with  me  you  can  forget
> about  getting a degree from this place."  [Variants: "I'll give you a

This is the difference between sexual harrassment and rape.  Legally,
one can sue for harrassment and press charges for rape - a person
more knowledgeable about legal matters could comment on this.