[net.women] male hormones, pernicious new mythology

oaf@mit-vax.UUCP (Oded Feingold) (08/12/85)

>	However  neither  tried  to  answer  this section of Sunny's
>	posting:
				[Carolyn Clark]

[  >> = Sunny Kirsten]
>>	  On  the  whole, from my observations of myself, and of other
>>	  people, I'd have to say that on the average, women are  less
>>	  bothered by their sex than men are.
    Why is "bothered" the operative word?  I'm not denying nuff'n, but
I'd like to know.

>>	  Back in the old days, I
>>	  all to often watched  previously  intelligent  conversations
>>	  between  men grind to a total halt, or to blithering idiocy,
>>	  as some  nice  looking  woman  walked  by,  and  when  she'd
>>	  disappeared  from  sight,  would  turn  to discussion of her
>>	  "fuckability" rather than back to  work.
    As Jeff Sonntag, the other man to rise to Sunny's bait, mentioned,
that  has not been my experience.  I see it occasionally, NOT among my
peer group.  Frankly, any friend of mine  who  launched  into  such  a
discussion would have his ears pinned back with rusty railroad spikes,
for which I have a  peculiar  fetish.   I  agree  with  Jeff  that  it
suggests  Sunny  moved  in  sleazy  or  sexist  circles.   [That's  my
gratuitous generalization from personal observation.]  Perhaps not  --
maybe Californians really ARE different.

>>	(was  that  blunt enough?  no,  not  really).
    That  rhetorical question certainly was stupid and hostile enough!
It is perhaps indicative of its author's  attitude  toward  people  in
general, men in particular.  At the risk of sounding like a vindictive
old fart, which I am, I'd estimate that  someone  who  utters  such  a
sentence might hang out with such boys, and get a skewed sample space.

>>	  Much of it is a very animalistic jousting between the men to
>>	  prove to each other who is the horniest.
    Holy bull-paddies, Batman!  Proving my horniness to other men  has
never  been  my  idea  of a good time.  But assume Sunny's right:  I'd
suspect these men are simply trying to disguise their  discomfort  and
diffidence in matters sexual.  And keep the animals out of it, huh?

[ > = Carolyn J. Clark]
>	I'm a woman. Obviously I've never been in a group  of  *only
>	men*.
    A  wimpy  excuse.   I eavesdrop shamelessly on whatever's going on
around me, whether in  restaurants,  on  the  beach,  in  the  street,
wherever.   If  you're  at  all observant about your surroundings, you
should have little trouble gathering your own data.  It would help  if
you look really spectacular :-)

>	I don't recall  observing  a  group women  stopping  their talk
>	to ogle a passing male.
I have.  Not me, alas.

>	Is this a real difference or isn't it?
    I've spent 3500 characters, and  the  net's  collective  patience,
saying  this  whole line of argument is a crock, so I'll reverse field
and agree the difference is probably "real."  Men  are  socialized  to
react  aggressively  to  sexual  signals.  So, given that that kind of
thing happens, why not assume it happens more among  men  than  women?
That  doesn't  mean  the  line of argument ISN'T a crock.  Statistical
comments about classes of people don't  give  significant  information
about  individuals (Ross Greenberg, are you listening?)  maybe Sunny's
right, some percentage more than half the time.  So what does that say
about any individual man?

			 <<**  FLAME ON **>>
    This whole stupid, miserable, hostile, intellectually sleazy round
of personalized shit-slinging started  when  someone  brought  up  the
subject  of  PMS,  and  whether  we  should be hesitant to hire female
airline pilots, presidents, garbage workers or whatever  for  fear  of
cyclic  suboptimal  perfomance.   Among the responses it engendered, a
significant number of people jumped on the same bandwagon at the other
end.   Namely,  they  proceeded  to  try  to "prove" that men are more
subject to raging hormonal cycles that women, hence in fact the weaker
sex when it comes to carrier landings and nuclear war.  To her credit,
Cheryl Stewart (that one) did a beautiful  spoof  on  the  topic,  but
others, and I name no names (bad memory, testosterone overload) really
tried to pull it off.  If it's wrong to judge all women by PMS,  isn't
it  wrong  to judge all men by whatever is the male equivalent?  Don't
you owe yourselves that much personal integrity?

    When will people realize that the way  to  respond  to  a  stupid,
sexist remark which primarily displays its utterer's hostility, mental
laziness and lack of honesty is NOT by displaying your own?   That  it
is NOT necessary to subsume your correspondent's psychological defects
into your own response, then throw it back?  I thought  it  enough  to
point out that such generalizations are neither fair nor sensible, and
leave it at that.  But no, we  get  runaway  conniptions  from  people
whose  lives are dominated by violent hostility.  No reasonable claims
or discussions have a chance, since  there's  a  cadre  of  disgusting
network  muggers  out  there,  just  waiting to scream "sexist pig" or
"castrating bitch" at the drop of a hat.

    My  patience  is exhausted, and I firmly believe that if you can't
beat 'em, join 'em.  Henceforth I feel no obligation to be  reasonable
to  anyone  or  anything, and will simply use net.women to work out my
own hostilities (you guys  ain't  seen  nothin'  yet)!!   You'll  note
there's  no <<** FLAME OFF **>> at the end of this posting.

		       <Flame temporarily off>
    Ms.   Clark,  I'm  not angry at you.  I hope my answer covers your
question satisfactorily.  Thank  you  for  pointing  out  my  previous
omissions.

--
Oded Feingold	{decvax, harvard, mit-eddie}!mitvax!oaf	    oaf%oz@mit-mc.ARPA
MIT AI Laboratory    545 Tech Square    Cambridge, Mass. 02139    617-253-8598

gail@calmasd.UUCP (Gail B. Hanrahan) (08/15/85)

In article <601@mit-vax.UUCP> oaf@mit-vax.UUCP (Oded Feingold) writes:
>end.   Namely,  they  proceeded  to  try  to "prove" that men are more
>subject to raging hormonal cycles that women, hence in fact the weaker
>sex when it comes to carrier landings and nuclear war.  To her credit,
>Cheryl Stewart (that one) did a beautiful  spoof  on  the  topic,  but
>others, and I name no names (bad memory, testosterone overload) really
>tried to pull it off.  If it's wrong to judge all women by PMS,  isn't
>it  wrong  to judge all men by whatever is the male equivalent?  Don't
>you owe yourselves that much personal integrity?

Funny, I thought the whole point of those articles was to make those
arguing that PMS implies incompetence realize just how absurd (and
hurtful) the discussion is/was by turning it around and applying the
same sort of pseudo-logic.

>    When will people realize that the way  to  respond  to  a  stupid,
>sexist remark which primarily displays its utterer's hostility, mental
>laziness and lack of honesty is NOT by displaying your own?   That  it
>is NOT necessary to subsume your correspondent's psychological defects
>into your own response, then throw it back?  ...
>    My  patience  is exhausted, and I firmly believe that if you can't
>beat 'em, join 'em.  Henceforth I feel no obligation to be  reasonable
>to  anyone  or  anything, and will simply use net.women to work out my
>own hostilities (you guys  ain't  seen  nothin'  yet)!!

I see a contradiction here.  Will contributing to the problem make
it go away?  Somehow I doubt it.

--

Gail Bayley Hanrahan
Calma Company, San Diego