[net.women] Politics of Gender and Sexuality course

wild@sun.uucp (Will Doherty) (08/19/85)

I am proposing to teach a course entitled "Politics of Gender
and Sexuality" this fall at Stanford University, in Palo Alto, CA.
I am looking for suggestions of possible readings, films, and
speakers.  If you have any ideas, please send them asap because
the term will start soon.  Here is the preliminary course

"Politics of Gender and Sexuality" outlines the history of cultural
definitions of gender and sexuality and provides the student with
a background for study of contemporary attitudes toward various
sexual practices and gender orientations.

Concentrating especially on gender and sexual identifications
stigmatized by societies of various eras, the course encourages
the student to develop a comprehensive analysis of formation
and evolution of morality regarding gender and sexual orientation.

Using a topical approach, we study individuals and groups of people
who demonstrate a variety of gender and sexual identifications in
order to understand the minority point of view on cultural definitions
that apply to them.  We trace gender and sexual minority organization
within societal institutions, so that we can evaluate movements for
social change based on sexual variation, and reaction of the
mainstream culture.

Sexual and gender minorities highlighted for study will include:
bisexuals, lesbians, gays, transexuals, transvestites, fetishists,
prostitutes, and people engaged in interracial, intergenerational, and
S/M relationships.

The course requires a significant amount of reading and
writing, and presents a broad sample of speakers and films,
necessitating ample participation in class discussion.
Students expecting credit for the course must choose and
execute a project of considerable magnitude.

Send ideas to:			Will Doherty
				3651 Orinda St
				Palo Alto, CA  94306
				415-949-3328 or
				415-960-7442
		{decvax|ucbvax|???}sun!oscar!wild

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (08/21/85)

In article <2667@sun.uucp> wild@sun.uucp (Will Doherty) writes:
>I am proposing to teach a course entitled "Politics of Gender
>and Sexuality" this fall at Stanford University, in Palo Alto, CA.
>I am looking for suggestions of possible readings, films, and
>speakers.  If you have any ideas, please send them asap because
>the term will start soon...

Ok, here's a few ideas from my bookshelf:

Sexuality in general:

_Human Sexuality -- Sense and Nonsense_
H. Katchadourian
W.W. Norton & Co., 1972

_Contemporary Sexual Behavior_
J. Zubin & J. Money
Johns Hopkins University Press, 1973

Women's issues:

_Women Talking_
J. Hill
Lyle Stewart, 1976

_Breasts_
D. Ayalah and I.J. Weinstock
Summit Books, 1979

Gay issues:

_Gay American History_
J. Katz
Crowell, 1976

_Positively Gay_
B. Berzon and R. Leighton
Celestial Arts, 1979

_Homosexualities_
A.P. Bell and M.S. Weinberg
Simon & Schuster, 1978

_Woman + Woman_
D. Klaich
Morrow & Co., 1975

_The Joy of Lesbian Sex_
E.L. Sisley and B. Harris
Crown, 1977

_Gay Talk_ (Originally published as _The Queen's Vernacular_)
B. Rodgers
Paragon Books, 1972

The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp TTI                      Common Sense is what tells you that a ten
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.             pound weight falls ten times as fast as a
Santa Monica, CA  90405           one pound weight.
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe