[net.women] Rape - Another Solution

linda@amdcad.UUCP (Linda Seltzer) (08/07/85)

This is not a complete solution, but I think it would help.
Right now most of us economically support a culture of violence.
What do most people, even well-educated professionals, do for
enjoyment? - go to a movie.  And usually the movie has at least
ONE murder.  Somehow American scriptwriters cannot restrain themselves
from including at least one act of violence in their movies.  Where
there is not outright violence, the emotions portrayed are suspense,
fear, suspicion, and emotional intensity.  And so most people go to these
movies because "There is nothing else to do".  There are many
rationalizations and excuses:  "I wanted to see the computer graphics".
"There was only a little bit of violence, and it was an interesting story".
"We missed the last showing of the movie we really wanted to see".
In spite of all rationalizations, violence is our art and our culture.
Women continue to dole out their admission fees to support these
Hollywood companies which make a fortune and to buy products
advertised on violent TV shows?

Who advertises on violent TV shows?  How many auto companies?
Why would the auto companies support this - in spite of the
protests of parents' groups?  Because as long as the streets and
public transportation are not safe, we have to depend on private
automobiles.  If the streets were safe, why not ride the subway
or a bicycle at night?

Why do people continue to spend money going to violent movies
rather than contributing to the local chamber music ensemble,
orchestra, or arts center.  Why not make contributions
stipulating that the money not be used to but on productions
which include violence?

What does this have to do with rape?  Many people consider rape
to be a crime of violence, not of sex.  It is often accompanied
by other forms of violence.  Right now violence is our entertainment -
so how can our culture say that at the same time it is a problem?

				L. Seltzer
__________________
(Does not necessarily represent the opinion of AMD)

jeffw@tekecs.UUCP (Jeff Winslow) (08/08/85)

> Why do people continue to spend money going to violent movies
> rather than contributing to the local chamber music ensemble,
> orchestra, or arts center.

That's right! They could be going to the opera to see, say, Lulu
(Alban Berg) which has a shooting murder, a bludgeon murder, and
two stabbing murders by a jack-the-ripper character. All set to
a great deal of interesting and often beautiful music.

Or how about a play? How about Macbeth, or King Lear, or Titus Andronicus?

Face it - violence is exciting (when you're not at the receiving end of it,
obviously). That's (one reason) why artists of all kinds have used violent
subjects. Believing violence in society is caused by violence on screen
seems just a little bit backwards to me.

						Jeff Winslow

PS. I should probably admit, however, that I don't usually care for
    excessively violent movies (note BIG subjectivity factor here) and
    I do contribute to local ensembles, orchestra, etc. Also to a fair
    number of net arguments.

crs@lanl.ARPA (08/09/85)

> Why do people continue to spend money going to violent movies
> rather than contributing to the local chamber music ensemble,
> orchestra, or arts center.  Why not make contributions
> stipulating that the money not be used to but on productions
> which include violence?

Thank you for saying that; I couldn't agree more.

> What does this have to do with rape?  Many people consider rape
> to be a crime of violence, not of sex.  It is often accompanied
> by other forms of violence.  Right now violence is our entertainment -
> so how can our culture say that at the same time it is a problem?

I have read (and I largely agree) that the frequent viewing of
violence tends to cause one to become insensitive (ie calloused) to
violence, thus not as likely to restrain themselves, to say nothing of
being less likely to help one who is the victim of violence.

It is interesting that, as a society, we are more likely to forbid the
viewing of sex than of violence.  And, of course, as society has
become more calloused to the old fashioned forms of violence in
entertainment the producers have "improved" their techniques to give
us more and more graphic portrayals.

But the public keeps paying for it...

--
All opinions are mine alone...

Charlie Sorsby
...!{cmcl2,ihnp4,...}!lanl!crs
crs@lanl.arpa

crs@lanl.ARPA (08/10/85)

> > Why do people continue to spend money going to violent movies
> > rather than contributing to the local chamber music ensemble,
> > orchestra, or arts center.
>
> That's right! They could be going to the opera to see, say, Lulu
> (Alban Berg) which has a shooting murder, a bludgeon murder, and
> two stabbing murders by a jack-the-ripper character. All set to
> a great deal of interesting and often beautiful music.
>
> Or how about a play? How about Macbeth, or King Lear, or Titus Andronicus?
>
> Face it - violence is exciting (when you're not at the receiving end of it,
> obviously). That's (one reason) why artists of all kinds have used violent
> subjects. Believing violence in society is caused by violence on screen
> seems just a little bit backwards to me.
>
> 						Jeff Winslow
Jeff,
I'm going to intentionally misunderstand to make a point (I apologize
in advance).

Are you saying that because violence also occurs in "cultural"
productions (eg opera, "legitimate" theatre, etc.) that it is alright?
What was pointed out is that the American public (I don't know about
other countries) supports an awful lot of violence in the guise of
entertainment.  Maybe we should cut down a little.

--
All opinions are mine alone...

Charlie Sorsby
...!{cmcl2,ihnp4,...}!lanl!crs
crs@lanl.arpa

shebs@bcsaic.UUCP (stan shebs) (08/12/85)

In article <2402@amdcad.UUCP> linda@amdcad.UUCP (Linda Seltzer) writes:

>This is not a complete solution, but I think it would help.
>Right now most of us economically support a culture of violence.
>In spite of all rationalizations, violence is our art and our culture.

I find it interesting that violence does seem to be an important
part of our civilization.  Not to get back into discussions of
sociobiology again, but perhaps "violence" is an integral part
of human character.  I know of no solid proof for or against,
although there's much flimsy evidence (some primitive cultures
seem to be nonviolent, but they generally are found in hostile
environments - violence comes from outside rather than inside).

>Why do people continue to spend money going to violent movies
>rather than contributing to the local chamber music ensemble,
>orchestra, or arts center.  Why not make contributions
>stipulating that the money not be used to but on productions
>which include violence?

I'm a fan of chamber music and play classical flute, but I would
not want to eliminate the violence of Beethoven's Fifth or Ninth (or
even parts of the Sixth).  If everything in life were reduced to
the bloodlessness of Devienne's or Haydn's music, there would be
little to distinguish it from death...

This is a little far afield from the topic of rape.  I'm *not*
defending rape;  I'm suggesting that training everyone to be nonviolent
might be another one of those cures that is worse than the disease.
It might be extraordinarily risky even to experiment with; if violence
*is* linked to creativity, extinction of violence would be irreversible...

							stan shebs

barry@ames.UUCP (Kenn Barry) (08/13/85)

>This is not a complete solution, but I think it would help.
>Right now most of us economically support a culture of violence.
>What do most people, even well-educated professionals, do for
>enjoyment? - go to a movie.  And usually the movie has at least
>ONE murder.  Somehow American scriptwriters cannot restrain themselves
>from including at least one act of violence in their movies.

	It's important to remember that it has never been shown that vicarious
violence (movies, books, etc.) causes violent behavior; It is an area of
current controversy. Nor is your charge literally true. There are many sorts
of films (comedies, musicals, etc.) which rarely feature violence. Your
singling out of American screenwriters also seems gratuitous. There is
violence in the films of all countries. Perhaps American films are, on the
average, more violent than the films of other countries, but what I've seen of
the Italian and Japanese cinema suggests otherwise.

> Where
>there is not outright violence, the emotions portrayed are suspense,
>fear, suspicion, and emotional intensity.

	Do I correctly understand that you are against the portrayal, not only
of violence, but of "suspense, fear, suspicion, and emotional intensity"? If
so, you don't seem to leave the artist much leeway.

> And so most people go to these
>movies because "There is nothing else to do".  There are many
>rationalizations and excuses:  "I wanted to see the computer graphics".
>"There was only a little bit of violence, and it was an interesting story".
>"We missed the last showing of the movie we really wanted to see".
>In spite of all rationalizations, violence is our art and our culture.

	And is there no possible legitimate purpose for violence in art? I
have known people who liked horror films because such films *helped* them deal
with their own fears, by allowing them to work through them vicariously. In
any case, your complaint seems to be against all violence in art, not just
extreme violence. Wouldn't that put our art a long way from reality?

>Who advertises on violent TV shows?  How many auto companies?
>Why would the auto companies support this - in spite of the
>protests of parents' groups?  Because as long as the streets and
>public transportation are not safe, we have to depend on private
>automobiles.  If the streets were safe, why not ride the subway
>or a bicycle at night?

	I find it more reasonable to believe that the greedy auto companies
want to sell a lot of cars, and therefore advertise on shows that are watched
by a lot of people. But your theory is original, I must admit.

>What does this have to do with rape?  Many people consider rape
>to be a crime of violence, not of sex.  It is often accompanied
>by other forms of violence.  Right now violence is our entertainment -
>so how can our culture say that at the same time it is a problem?

	I guess a lot of us see a fundamental difference between real violence
and simulated violence. I object to murder, but I don't necessarily object to
murder being portrayed in a film.
	I wouldn't mind at all if films more often tried to show us a better
world than the one we live in; I'm fond of optimistic stories. But without
conflict there *is* no story. Nor, I think, is there any way to curtail the
popularity of adventure and suspense, short of censorship. I agree we should
vote with our $$$ for films we like, but we can't expect everyone else to
always vote the same way.

-  From the Crow's Nest  -                      Kenn Barry
                                                NASA-Ames Research Center
                                                Moffett Field, CA
 	USENET:		 {ihnp4,vortex,dual,hao,menlo70,hplabs}!ames!barry

gadfly@ihuxn.UUCP (Gadfly) (08/14/85)

--
> I find it interesting that violence does seem to be an important
> part of our civilization.  Not to get back into discussions of
> sociobiology again, but perhaps "violence" is an integral part
> of human character.  I know of no solid proof for or against,
> although there's much flimsy evidence (some primitive cultures
> seem to be nonviolent, but they generally are found in hostile
> environments - violence comes from outside rather than inside)...
>
> 							stan shebs

Ah yes, the "savage ape".  Popular myth.  Perhaps more probable,
though, is the notion that our aggressiveness is entirely
cultural, an ironic figment of our becoming "civilized".  Hunter-
gatherers can always pack up and move on (and they do, or did),
but once you put down roots, you have your territory, a stake worth
fighting for.
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****

js2j@mhuxt.UUCP (sonntag) (08/14/85)

> > I find it interesting that violence does seem to be an important
> > part of our civilization.  Not to get back into discussions of
> > sociobiology again, but perhaps "violence" is an integral part
> > of human character.  I know of no solid proof for or against,
> > although there's much flimsy evidence (some primitive cultures
> > seem to be nonviolent, but they generally are found in hostile
> > environments - violence comes from outside rather than inside)...
> >
> > 							stan shebs
> Ah yes, the "savage ape".  Popular myth.  Perhaps more probable,
> though, is the notion that our aggressiveness is entirely
> cultural, an ironic figment of our becoming "civilized".  Hunter-
> gatherers can always pack up and move on (and they do, or did),
> but once you put down roots, you have your territory, a stake worth
> fighting for.

    Ah yes, the "noble savage".  A once-popular myth.  Many of the
tribes of american indians were hunter gatherers.  Most of these were
constantly at war with each other.  Ironically, many of the most peaceful
of the indian tribes were those which had developed agriculture.
--
Jeff Sonntag
ihnp4!mhuxt!js2j

jeffw@tekecs.UUCP (Jeff Winslow) (08/14/85)

> Are you saying that because violence also occurs in "cultural"
> productions (eg opera, "legitimate" theatre, etc.) that it is alright?
> What was pointed out is that the American public (I don't know about
> other countries) supports an awful lot of violence in the guise of
> entertainment.  Maybe we should cut down a little.

Well, shucks. I had my fun and now you're going to make me think about it.

I'm not a big fan of graphic movie violence. But I think it's reaction to
our violent surroundings, not a cause of them. And it is not a new
phenomenon, just a new form of an old one (which presumably did not cause
any problems).

I'm not sure what you could do about it, anyway, that you (and I) aren't
probably already doing (eg, not going to those movies).

I suppose you could start a boycott movement of some kind, but I shudder
(or laugh) to think of an activist group against movie violence. The
possibilities for satire are too delicious. ("What do you mean, hypocritical?
We're against *movie* violence, not *real* violence.")    :-)

Sorry - I'm off having fun again.

						Jeff Winslow

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (08/15/85)

In article <1079@ames.UUCP> barry@ames.UUCP (Kenn Barry) writes:
>	It's important to remember that it has never been shown that vicarious
>violence (movies, books, etc.) causes violent behavior; It is an area of
>current controversy.

There have been many studies done with  children  that  demonstrate  beyond
reasonable doubt that watching violent behavior on television or file leads
to increased aggression and violence in the watcher's  behavior.  There  is
some  controversy  as  to  whether  this is true of adults, though there is
sufficient evidence to conclude that watching violence at  least  causes  a
desensitization.

Obviously, the above are generalizations and not necessarily true  for  all
children  or all adults.  Note that this cuts two ways.  At the ends of the
bell curve there could be people who can watch Clint  Eastwood  movies  all
year  without  noticeable  change  in behavior and people who can be pushed
over the edge of violence by a Bugs Bunny cartoon.  Either  type  could  be
too rare to significantly affect experimental results.

>                                                    ... There are many sorts
>of films (comedies, musicals, etc.) which rarely feature violence. Your
>singling out of American screenwriters also seems gratuitous. There is
>violence in the films of all countries. Perhaps American films are, on the
>average, more violent than the films of other countries, but what I've seen of
>the Italian and Japanese cinema suggests otherwise.

I agree.

>                                                           ... But without
>conflict there *is* no story.

There's always character studies and documentaries. (-:

>                          ... Nor, I think, is there any way to curtail the
>popularity of adventure and suspense, short of censorship. I agree we should
>vote with our $$$ for films we like, but we can't expect everyone else to
>always vote the same way.

One of the cheaper prices of freedom.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp TTI                      Common Sense is what tells you that a ten
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.             pound weight falls ten times as fast as a
Santa Monica, CA  90405           one pound weight.
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

dick@ucsfcca.UUCP (Dick Karpinski) (08/15/85)

In article <29482@lanl.ARPA> crs@lanl.ARPA writes:

>I have read (and I largely agree) that the frequent viewing of
>violence tends to cause one to become insensitive (ie calloused) to
>violence, thus not as likely to restrain themselves, to say nothing of
>being less likely to help one who is the victim of violence.

I have heard of a very interesting, but little quoted, study which
offers a bit more detail on kids and violence on TV.  Please let me
know if you can cite the study.  The conclusion was that when the
episode of violence involved the bad guys getting their comeuppance,
the kids WERE more violent in their own play.  However, when the good
guys got beat up, kids were LESS violent in their own play.  Kind of
makes you stop and think about the wisdom of the Hollywood ending...

Dick

--
Dick Karpinski    Manager of Unix Services, UCSF Computer Center
UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucsfcgl!cca.ucsf!dick   (415) 666-4529 (12-7)

linda@amdcad.UUCP (Linda Seltzer) (08/15/85)

> 	Do I correctly understand that you are against the portrayal, not only
> of violence, but of "suspense, fear, suspicion, and emotional intensity"? If
> so, you don't seem to leave the artist much leeway.
>
> 	I wouldn't mind at all if films more often tried to show us a better
> world than the one we live in; I'm fond of optimistic stories. But without
> conflict there *is* no story. Nor, I think, is there any way to curtail the
> popularity of adventure and suspense, short of censorship. I agree we should
> vote with our $$$ for films we like, but we can't expect everyone else to
> always vote the same way.

Your reply, and the notion that there always has to be a "story" shows
just how limited many people's views are because of the influence of
mass media.  In film, for example, look at the work of Stan Brakhage, such
as his "The Text of Light", an hour and a half of pure visual images,
pure abstract film.  Each frame is said to be a masterpiece in itself.
Now the mass media classifies this as "experimental" (i.e. esoteric and
not important) film.  The New Age movement in the arts in the US has
been dismissed by critics as "minimalism" - but luckily Steve Reich and
Meredith Monk have gained acclaim in New York, at least.

Now let's look at even the enlightened city of Berkeley.  Two weeks ago
there was a concert by the students of the Ali Akbar Khan school of music.
These people have obviously found a fascinating alternative to violence -
learning to play the sarod and the tablas, and composing music which
combines Western and Indian instruments.  Yet only about 75 people
attended.  How many people read the arts listings in detail and really
make an informed choice?  They look at for the most widely hyped-up and
publicized works instead.

Furthermore - why don't people organize their own entertainment -
playing music together, hiring a model and doing life drawing,
etc. ? (Some people do, but not most).

Even the most highly educated people turn 30, start making a little
money, and turn their brains off.

In article <679@ttidcc.UUCP>, hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) writes:
> In article <1079@ames.UUCP> barry@ames.UUCP (Kenn Barry) writes:
> >	It's important to remember that it has never been shown that vicarious
> >violence (movies, books, etc.) causes violent behavior; It is an area of
> >current controversy.
>
> There have been many studies done with  children  that  demonstrate  beyond
> reasonable doubt that watching violent behavior on television or file leads
> to increased aggression and violence in the watcher's  behavior.  There  is
> some  controversy  as  to  whether  this is true of adults, though there is
> sufficient evidence to conclude that watching violence at  least  causes  a
> desensitization.

I believe that there have been studies by George Gerbner, Dean of the
School of Communications at the University of Pennsylvania, which reported
that people who watched television often generally were more suspicious,
believed more often that WOMEN ARE MORE LIKELY TO BE THE VICTIMS OF CRIME,
and beleved with greater likelihood that they could be victims.

> >                                                           ... But without
> >conflict there *is* no story.
>
> There's always character studies and documentaries. (-:

What about spirituality, romance, and mytstical experience?  What about
abstract art?

barry@ames.UUCP (Kenn Barry) (08/16/85)

From Linda Seltzer (amdcad!linda):
>> 	Do I correctly understand that you are against the portrayal, not only
>>of violence, but of "suspense, fear, suspicion, and emotional intensity"? If
>>so, you don't seem to leave the artist much leeway.

	I note that you quoted this part of my article without responding to
it. I'd still be curious to hear your answer.

>> 	I wouldn't mind at all if films more often tried to show us a better
>> world than the one we live in; I'm fond of optimistic stories. But without
>> conflict there *is* no story. Nor, I think, is there any way to curtail the
>> popularity of adventure and suspense, short of censorship. I agree we should
>> vote with our $$$ for films we like, but we can't expect everyone else to
>> always vote the same way.
>
>Your reply, and the notion that there always has to be a "story" shows
>just how limited many people's views are because of the influence of
>mass media.  In film, for example, look at the work of Stan Brakhage, such
>as his "The Text of Light", an hour and a half of pure visual images,
>pure abstract film.  Each frame is said to be a masterpiece in itself.

	I think you'll find that "story" predates the mass media by at least a
couple of millenia. If you reread what I wrote, you will find that I
did not *say* there had to be a story; I said there had to be conflict
before there *was* a story.
	Look, if you prefer films without story (or adventure, or
suspense, or even emotional intensity), that's fine by me; didn't I say that
in the article you quoted? I'm just a little more varied in my tastes.

>Now the mass media classifies this as "experimental" (i.e. esoteric and
>not important) film.  The New Age movement in the arts in the US has
>been dismissed by critics as "minimalism" - but luckily Steve Reich and
>Meredith Monk have gained acclaim in New York, at least.

	What does this have to do with violence? (incidentally, I like Steve
Reich)

>Now let's look at even the enlightened city of Berkeley.  Two weeks ago
>there was a concert by the students of the Ali Akbar Khan school of music.
>These people have obviously found a fascinating alternative to violence -
>learning to play the sarod and the tablas, and composing music which
>combines Western and Indian instruments.  Yet only about 75 people
>attended.  How many people read the arts listings in detail and really
>make an informed choice?  They look at for the most widely hyped-up and
>publicized works instead.

	You keep bringing up the same false dichotomy. Now I have to choose
between watching RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK and listening to amateur sarod
players. Why is it not better that I do both, as the spirit moves me?

>Even the most highly educated people turn 30, start making a little
>money, and turn their brains off.

	Wasn't money that turned off my brain, it was sex, drugs, and rock and
roll :-).

shebs@bcsaic.UUCP (stan shebs) (08/16/85)

>> I find it interesting that violence does seem to be an important
>> part of our civilization.  Not to get back into discussions of
>> sociobiology again, but perhaps "violence" is an integral part
>> of human character.  I know of no solid proof for or against,
>> although there's much flimsy evidence (some primitive cultures
>> seem to be nonviolent, but they generally are found in hostile
>> environments - violence comes from outside rather than inside)...
>
>Ah yes, the "savage ape".  Popular myth.  Perhaps more probable,
>though, is the notion that our aggressiveness is entirely
>cultural, an ironic figment of our becoming "civilized".  Hunter-
>gatherers can always pack up and move on (and they do, or did),
>but once you put down roots, you have your territory, a stake worth
>fighting for.
>
>ken perlow       *****   *****
>..ihnp4!iwsl8!ken   *** ***

I didn't realize you had a special line to truth!  How do you know
that this is a "myth"??  Last I heard, there's been no proof or disproof
of *any* such hypotheses.  Your own hypothesis is weakened by the
observation that hunter-gatherers can always fight over MOTASs,
a choice bit of food, the most comfortable sleeping spot,... of
course, that doesn't mean that they do, or did.  The other social primates
certainly do; the human groups that seem not to (Australian aborigines,
Bushmen, Tasadays, Eskimos, others no doubt) may not have been
studied adequately (remember that much of chimp behavior was
unsuspected until Goodall and others spent *lots* of time watching).

Anyhow, if the choice *is* between nonviolence and civilization,
I'll take civilization (does that make me a latent rapist? :-) )

							stan shebs

p.s. Do apartment dwellers have "roots" and a "territory worth
fighting for"?

edhall@randvax.UUCP (Ed Hall) (08/18/85)

In article <209@bcsaic.UUCP> shebs@bcsaic.UUCP (stan shebs) writes:
>In article <2402@amdcad.UUCP> linda@amdcad.UUCP (Linda Seltzer) writes:
>>
>>This is not a complete solution, but I think it would help.
>>Right now most of us economically support a culture of violence.
>>In spite of all rationalizations, violence is our art and our culture.
>
>I find it interesting that violence does seem to be an important
>part of our civilization.  ...perhaps "violence" is an integral part
>of human character.  I know of no solid proof for or against,
>although there's much flimsy evidence (some primitive cultures
>seem to be nonviolent, but they generally are found in hostile
>environments - violence comes from outside rather than inside).

Let's define our terms, here.  There is a rather large difference
between someone intentionally splitting your head open with a rock,
and being hit on the head by a meteor; let's not confuse the random
violence of nature with the intentful violence of human beings.

>... I would
>not want to eliminate the violence of Beethoven's Fifth or Ninth (or
>even parts of the Sixth).  If everything in life were reduced to
>the bloodlessness of Devienne's or Haydn's music, there would be
>little to distinguish it from death...

This ``violence'' is a metaphor.  I don't see the cellists bashing
the violists with their instruments; on the other hand, movies attempt
to portray violence much worse than this, as sensationalistically as
possible, and neither as metaphor nor in a larger dramatic context.
The difference between the violence in a slasher film and that to be
found in serious art isn't just a matter of degree; in the former
the plot becomes merely an excuse for embedding violent scenes.
Art become secondary.

> ... I'm suggesting that training everyone to be nonviolent
>might be another one of those cures that is worse than the disease.
>It might be extraordinarily risky even to experiment with; if violence
>*is* linked to creativity, extinction of violence would be irreversible...

I don't think we'll ever eliminate unintentional violence, no matter how
far technology advances.  And there will always be conflict and
tension--things that I would agree are essential ingredients in much of
artistic creation.  But *intentional* violence--the *willful* injury of
one human being by another--was, is, and always will be destructive to
society and to the individual, and is quite worthy of our attempts at
eradication.

>							stan shebs

		-Ed Hall
		decvax!randvax!edhall

dyer@vaxuum.DEC (This did not happen to/Pablo Picasso) (08/19/85)

Re: Rape - Another Solution_____________________________________________________

> It's important to remember that it has never been shown that vicarious viol-
> ence (movies, books, etc.) causes violent behavior[.]

	100% Wrong.  Psychologists deal with a lot of uncertainties, but there
is one thing that has been demonstrated again and again:  observing aggressive
behavior results in increased aggressive behavior.
	Most of us, when hearing the results of psychological reasearch, have
a vague distrust (or, if it clashes with our prejudices, a not-so-vague dis-
trust).  This is especially true when other research yields opposite conclu-
sions (see previous flame about poor psychology research in my "Innate Sexual
Differences" article).
	As for the issue at hand, aggressive behavior resulting from observation
of same, I find the most people I've met think that psychological research is
fuzzy in this area.  It is not.
	Starting with Bandura's Bobo Doll experiment, every valid study that has
been done has shown a relationship between observed agressive behavior and mod-
elled agressive behavior.  No valid study has shown otherwise.
	There is, as you say, controversy.  Some of it has to do with the defin-
ition of "aggressive."  Some of it has to do with individual differences:  you
can demonstrate that a group of schoolchildren will become twice as aggressive
after viewing aggressive behavior, but you can't demonstrate that Pat hit Sandy
because of a certain episode of The A-Team.

>> Who advertises on violent TV shows?  How many auto companies? Why would the
>> auto companies support this - in spite of the protests of parents' groups?
>> Because as long as the streets and public transportation are not safe, we
>> have to depend on private automobiles.  If the streets were safe, why not
>> ride the subway or a bicycle at night?
>>
>  I find it more reasonable to believe that the greedy auto companies want to
>  sell a lot of cars, and therefore advertise on shows that are watched by a
>  lot of people.  But your theory is original, I must admit.

	Both theories are reasonable.
		<_Jym_>

:::::::::::::::: Jym Dyer
::::'  ::  `:::: Dracut, Massachusetts
::'    ::    `::
::     ::     :: DYER%VAXUUM.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA
::   .::::.   :: {allegra|decvax|ihnp4|ucbvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-vaxuum!dyer
::..:' :: `:..::
::::.  ::  .:::: Statements made in this article are my own; they might not
:::::::::::::::: reflect the views of |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| Equipment Corporation.

carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) (08/19/85)

> Face it - violence is exciting (when you're not at the receiving end of it,
> obviously). That's (one reason) why artists of all kinds have used violent
> subjects. Believing violence in society is caused by violence on screen
> seems just a little bit backwards to me.

This discussion of violence in net.women seems to miss the point that
violence in art, in itself, is neither good nor bad.  What disturbs
us is the way it is sometimes used, the function it often has, in
various media (mostly TV).  Consider *Othello*:  when Othello
strangles Desdemona for what he thinks is her adultery, this instance
of violence against women is experienced as a human tragedy; one
feels for both protagonists as human beings, caught in a web of
Iago's (but also their own) making.  The strangling and the suicide
that follows, both occurring onstage, were not thrown in by
Shakespeare to make the play more exciting but to achieve his
dramatic and artistic aims, such as to dramatize the latent violence
in Othello's character.  On the other hand, in the *Oedipus Rex*,
whose plot contains murder, suicide, incest, and self-blinding,
Sophocles chose not to show any of this onstage, yet the *Oedipus* is
as exciting and suspenseful as any play that has ever been staged.

Compare, now, the standard TV cop show (obviously not HSB).  Opening
scene:  A gorgeous woman returns to her apartment late in the
evening, slips off her dress, turns to face the camera, screams.  Cut
to detectives standing over her body lying in a pool of blood,
cameras clicking.  The hunt is on for the psycho.  If we're lucky
we'll have a couple more gorgeous dead bodies.  To me, this type of
TV show is deeply offensive.  The woman here is nothing more than a
hunk of meat to "motivate" the plot and tease our voyeurism.  I
experience this as an assault on my emotions, when I have started to
think of the woman as a real person and she is suddenly rubbed out --
the painful emotions this arouses are simply left dangling, and
consequently one tends to protect oneself from the pain by not
feeling those sensitive human emotions which set one up for the
shock.  Why indeed should the scriptwriters attempt to resolve these
emotions and make the show into something meaningful?  The entire
point of such TV programs is to sell cars, junk food, etc., and
evidently they do the job well -- millions of people (a large
proportion of whom are kids) watch them every night, and presumably
go out and buy the products the next morning.

The point is that is not the portrayal of violence per se that is the
problem, it is whether its function is to degrade and *use* the
audience, as with the cop shows and some movies, or to ennoble or
enlighten or divert (or whatever you think the purposes of art should
be), as with good theater and movies.

As long as we're griping about the portrayal of women on TV, you've
probably noticed that in standard TV fare the female lead is always
"beautiful."  E.g., plot summary:  "A beautiful woman construction
worker meets a young news photographer...." etc.  Obviously, plain
Janes are non-persons, or fit only for supporting roles at the most.
(Another gripe about TV:  guns are shown as magic devices for blowing
away bad guys.  Thousands of bullets fly, but Magnum, Simon & Simon,
etc. don't get a scratch.)

TV does not originate, it just exacerbates and perpetuates, some of
the worst aspects of our society (I think it also provides a few
benefits).  It would be hard for me to believe that the degrading
experience to which millions of people are subjected (and subject
themselves) each night does not have some serious consequences.
Censorship is not the answer, of course.  Changing our society is,
but it's not a simple answer.

Richard Carnes, ihnp4!gargoyle!carnes

michaelm@3comvax.UUCP (Michael McNeil) (08/20/85)

> > 	Do I correctly understand that you are against the portrayal, not only
> > of violence, but of "suspense, fear, suspicion, and emotional intensity"?
> > If so, you don't seem to leave the artist much leeway.
> >
> > 	I wouldn't mind at all if films more often tried to show us a better
> > world than the one we live in; I'm fond of optimistic stories. But without
> > conflict there *is* no story. Nor, I think, is there any way to curtail
> > the popularity of adventure and suspense, short of censorship. I agree we
> > should vote with our $$$ for films we like, but we can't expect everyone
> > else to always vote the same way.
>
> Your reply, and the notion that there always has to be a "story" shows
> just how limited many people's views are because of the influence of
> mass media...
>
> [Material describing art forms which get along without a "story."]
>
> Furthermore - why don't people organize their own entertainment -
> playing music together, hiring a model and doing life drawing,
> etc. ? (Some people do, but not most).
>
> Even the most highly educated people turn 30, start making a little
> money, and turn their brains off.

I haven't previously contributed to new.women, being heretofore content
(despite my interest in the subject) to let others flame each other.
However, I couldn't resist jumping into the fire with this one.

Just what group do you think it is that supports most of the violent,
sexist, trashy films and other ``art having a story'' that you
criticize?  Why it's the *kids* -- teenagers, young adults mostly under
that magic age of 30 -- who are the bulk of moviegoers!  This age group
dominates the field so thoroughly with their numbers that most movies
produced cater to their ``tastes.''  Why don't you ask your peers --
since being under 30, they supposedly haven't had their brains turned
off yet -- why *they* don't organize their own entertainment instead
of trotting off to see the latest sequel to *Porky*.

					-- Michael McNeil

linda@amdcad.UUCP (Linda Seltzer) (08/20/85)

In article <1089@ames.UUCP>, barry@ames.UUCP (Kenn Barry) writes:
> From Linda Seltzer (amdcad!linda):
> >> 	Do I correctly understand that you are against the portrayal, not only
> >>of violence, but of "suspense, fear, suspicion, and emotional intensity"? If
> >>so, you don't seem to leave the artist much leeway.
>
> 	I note that you quoted this part of my article without responding to
> it. I'd still be curious to hear your answer.

My response was to two quotations from your article.

I said there had to be conflict
> before there *was* a story.
> 	Look, if you prefer films without story (or adventure, or
> suspense, or even emotional intensity), that's fine by me; didn't I say that
> in the article you quoted? I'm just a little more varied in my tastes.
>
> >Now the mass media classifies this as "experimental" (i.e. esoteric and
> >not important) film.  The New Age movement in the arts in the US has
> >been dismissed by critics as "minimalism" - but luckily Steve Reich and
> >Meredith Monk have gained acclaim in New York, at least.
>
> 	What does this have to do with violence? (incidentally, I like Steve
> Reich)
>
> 	You keep bringing up the same false dichotomy. Now I have to choose
> between watching RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK and listening to amateur sarod
> players. Why is it not better that I do both, as the spirit moves me?

I will reply to all of these at once.  Your comments show that
it is your taste which is limited to slick productions hyped up by the
mass media and by the "catchiness" of the presentation.  When people
have the attitude that students are "amateura" not worth listening
to then their choices are determined by commercialism and slick presentation
rather than honest feeling.  When I refer to emotional intensity, I
mean intensity in terms of fear, suspicion, suspense, and violence.
Quite frankly I am sure that one's taste is varied, and one can learn
to appreciate subtlety if one rejects the slick presentations of violence
offered by the mass media.

robert@fear.UUCP (Robert Plamondon) (08/21/85)

In article <2830@amdcad.UUCP>, linda@amdcad.UUCP (Linda Seltzer) writes:
> > 	You keep bringing up the same false dichotomy. Now I have to choose
> > between watching RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK and listening to amateur sarod
> > players. Why is it not better that I do both, as the spirit moves me?
> >
> I will reply to all of these at once.  Your comments show that
> it is your taste which is limited to slick productions hyped up by the
> mass media and by the "catchiness" of the presentation.  When people
> have the attitude that students are "amateura" not worth listening
> to then their choices are determined by commercialism and slick presentation
> rather than honest feeling.  When I refer to emotional intensity, I
> mean intensity in terms of fear, suspicion, suspense, and violence.
> Quite frankly I am sure that one's taste is varied, and one can learn
> to appreciate subtlety if one rejects the slick presentations of violence
> offered by the mass media.

"Blue noses, Mr. Rico! Millions of 'em!"

Maybe in addition to net.snobs we should have
net.snobs.unappreciated-artists, where the endless discussion about
why artists are ignored by the vulgar can go on, leaving the rest of
us in peace.
--

		Robert Plamondon
		{turtlevax, resonex, cae780}!weitek!robert

barry@ames.UUCP (Kenn Barry) (08/22/85)

From Jym Dyer (decwrl!dyer):
>> It's important to remember that it has never been shown that vicarious viol-
>> ence (movies, books, etc.) causes violent behavior[.]
>
>	100% Wrong.  Psychologists deal with a lot of uncertainties, but there
>is one thing that has been demonstrated again and again:  observing aggressive
>behavior results in increased aggressive behavior.

	Your use of the word "aggressive" rather than "violent" suggests
to me that I was unclear. I meant to say only that vicarious violence
has never been linked to violent antisocial behavior. I make a great
distinction between violence, which is almost always anti-social, and
aggression, which can be interpreted in a less negative way. Think, for
instance, of those want ads for salesmen that ask for "aggressive go-
getter types". I have seen at least some of the studies you refer to,
and it seemed to me that they were defining "aggressive" behavior as
something closer to "assertive" than violent. If a child chooses more
aggressive forms of play after watching a violent film, that seems quite
different to me than having the child punch out a playmate. Aggressivness
is only anti-social when it's acted out in an anti-social way, such as
with violence.

>	There is, as you say, controversy.  Some of it has to do with the defin-
>ition of "aggressive."  Some of it has to do with individual differences:  you
>can demonstrate that a group of schoolchildren will become twice as aggressive
>after viewing aggressive behavior, but you can't demonstrate that Pat hit Sandy
>because of a certain episode of The A-Team.

	Precisely. I think we are in agreement, and I simply want to
affirm that I meant to assert no more than what you are here agreeing
with.

-  From the Crow's Nest  -                      Kenn Barry
                                                NASA-Ames Research Center
                                                Moffett Field, CA
 	USENET:		 {ihnp4,vortex,dual,nsc,hao,hplabs}!ames!barry

barry@ames.UUCP (Kenn Barry) (08/23/85)

From Linda Seltzer (amdcad!linda):
> In article <1089@ames.UUCP>, barry@ames.UUCP (Kenn Barry) writes:
>> 	You keep bringing up the same false dichotomy. Now I have to choose
>> between watching RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK and listening to amateur sarod
>> players. Why is it not better that I do both, as the spirit moves me?
>>
>Your comments show that
>it is your taste which is limited to slick productions hyped up by the
>mass media and by the "catchiness" of the presentation.  When people
>have the attitude that students are "amateura" not worth listening
>to then their choices are determined by commercialism and slick presentation
>rather than honest feeling.  When I refer to emotional intensity, I
>mean intensity in terms of fear, suspicion, suspense, and violence.
>Quite frankly I am sure that one's taste is varied, and one can learn
>to appreciate subtlety if one rejects the slick presentations of violence
>offered by the mass media.

	It is you who are defining "amateur" as "not worth listening
to", not I. It is interesting, if a touch strange, to see what a mass
of information you believe you have about my tastes, especially since
I fail to see what there was in my articles that led you to these
conclusions. But never mind; who cares what my tastes are? What I still
would like to know is, what is it you see that prevents me from enjoying
*both* the kind of entertainment that you consider politically correct,
*and* the kind of which you disapprove? Both of your articles on this
subject have implied that one needs to make a choice, to reject the one
in order to accept the other, but you have nowhere indicated why one
would have to do this. To make it a question of RAIDERS vs. ragas is
to simply ignore the fact that one is free to like both.
	Unless you start trying to make a better case against suspense
and violence, instead of simply telling us all how wonderful
non-violent art is, you are simply missing the point.