[net.women] Re RAPE, etc.../\\"understanding\\" horrible behavior and people

chabot@miles.DEC (All God's chillun got guns) (08/28/85)

Ross M. Greenberg  @ Time Inc, New York
>In article <65@decwrl.UUCP> chabot@miles.DEC (All God's chillun got guns) writes:
>>Okay, it's fair to say that all men don't think that of their genitalia as
>>a weapon to generate fear.  On the other hand, I've met some men who have had
>>that attitude, at least episodically, and more men who think of their genitalia
>>as an item to generate some sort of a reaction (for instance, flashers are out
>>to get *some* sort of a reaction).
>
> Still not fair, I'm sad to say.  Consider prostitutes: based on
> their genitalia, they too are criminals.  So
> would it be fair to use them to analyze the rest of the women?

Right, Ross: for instance, what about male prostitutes. (We assume you were only
thinking of female prostitutes?) (Come on, you live in the big city, you have
to have heard about this.)

Also, why do you consider the jump from "fear" to "criminals" to make sense?

Whatever you're trying to talk about, what I was trying to say is that not
*all* men try to generate fear with their genitalia, but *some* men do.
I wasn't putting down all men, or lumping them together.  It appears you are
accusing me of this.

I will say that the effect of these some men is far-reaching.

L S Chabot   ...decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-amber!chabot

greenber@timeinc.UUCP (Ross M. Greenberg) (08/28/85)

Ms. Chabot:

>Also, why do you consider the jump from "fear" to "criminals" to make sense?

No....you got it wrong.  I was using the idea of "flashers" being criminals,
as you discuss here:

>Okay, it's fair to say that all men don't think that of their genitalia as
>a weapon to generate fear.  On the other hand, I've met some men who have had
>that attitude, at least episodically, and more men who think of their genitalia
>as an item to generate some sort of a reaction (for instance, flashers are out
>to get *some* sort of a reaction).

(I then spoke about equating the criminal acts of prostitutes
to all women, and how that certainly is wrong):

>Right, Ross: for instance, what about male prostitutes.
> (We assume you were only thinking of female prostitutes?)

You got me there.  Although I live in the big city, as you noted, I
just don't think of prostitutes being male.  Maybe because there are so
few, or they aren't as apparant.

Boy, do I hate it when you're right.  Ruins my whole day! :-)

>Whatever you're trying to talk about, what I was trying to say is that not
>*all* men try to generate fear with their genitalia, but *some* men do.
>I wasn't putting down all men, or lumping them together.  It appears you are
>accusing me of this.

Just habit, I suppose! :-)  Or knee-jerking.

I apologize.

Ross M. Greenberg  @ Time Inc, New York
              --------->{vax135 | ihnp4}!timeinc!greenber<---------

I highly doubt that Time Inc.  would make me their spokesperson.
---
"You must never run from something immortal. It attracts their attention."
	  -- The Last Unicorn