[net.women] More net.women.only heat...

mazur@inmet.UUCP (08/29/85)

[Oh, I'm in the mood for adding to the heat and shedding no light...]

>... When there is a net.men, and a net.men.only,
>then it will be equality.  Until then --- watch your contradictions.

And I suppose we should have net.heterosexual, net.marrieds, and
net.rec.clothes.

>The reason that net.women.only didn't work (in my opinion) was
>that it was a public admission of women seeking special privs.
>So it wasn't posted to very frequently.  So the mailing list was
>built.

Actually, the women of the network made a tactical error in their
request for net.women.only (many moons ago). They assumed that the
majority of women would want to have this type of discussion in a
public forum.  But it turned out that most of the women on the net
were not comfortable writing about their own private experiences for
all the world to see.  So the expected large traffic (which is what
generally is required to create a separate group) never materialized.
That is why the mailing list was created, and why it has flourished,
with both female and male participants.

Besides that, net.women.only was sexist.  But it was sexist in primarily
the same sense that women's bathrooms and women's deodorant are sexist.
I can see Ross on TV with his SO  - "but honey, if it's so strong, why
can't I use it?".  "Because, silly, Secret was made for women."  "Well,
that's sexist - even if I can buy it and use it, they should stop making
it."  And don't jump to the reply saying "but I couldn't post to
net.women.only".  Yes, you could.  We were asking (perhaps not always
nicely) you not to post, but you could post.  This was tactical mistake
number 2, that the proponents of net.women.only assumed that the male
Usenet audience wouldn't get paranoid or indignant or up-on-a-soapbox
about it.  But it's so nice to see that the discussion lives on, long
after the newsgroup itself has ceased to exist.

And don't kid anyone about why there isn't a net.men.anything.  Hardly
because it is a request for "special privileges".  More likely because
the content would be primarily about women (like why they are attracted
to "assholes" instead of guys who spend 100 hours a week with a computer)
- and there's enough about that in net.women and net.singles.

Beth Mazur
{ihnp4,ima,harpo}!inmet!mazur