[net.women] Who cares if Doug won't shut up?

smithson@calma.uucp (Brian Smithson) (08/28/85)

So Doug Alan won't shut up?  Who cares.  I, for one, don't need to page
through megabytes of postings about how Madonna and the record companies
are out to destroy "true art" and the morality of little girls (or whatever
he's ranting about), and I don't need to unsubscribe to any newsgroups.
The following csh script does a reasonable, although perhaps amatuer, job
of alleviating the problem at my end.  It takes the last "read" posting
number for net.music (change to whatever group you wish) from .newsrc,
searches for "From: nessus" in all subsequent postings, builds a list of
the offending postings, and edits them into .newsrc.  When you read the
news, all of Doug's postings are ignored as though they had already been
read.  This seemed like a a nicer technique than just mv'ing the postings
themselves to /dev/null where they belong...

Try it out.  Maybe someone will post a sh version?

--------------cut above this line--------------------
#/bin/csh
set file=`grep music: < .newsrc | sed 's/.*[^0-9]//'`
echo -n "" > ~/no_doug
cd /usr/spool/news/net/music
@ file++
while -e $file
	if ( "`grep 'From: nessus' $file`" != "" ) echo -n ,$file >> ~/no_doug
	@ file++
end
cd ~
echo "" >> no_doug
ex - +'/music:/r no_doug |.-1,.j! |wq' .newsrc
rm no_doug
------------------cut below this line-------------------

What's that you said, Doug?  Kate who?  You're getting faint -- I can hardly
hear you -- hello?  Are you there?  Guess not...

--

		-Brian Smithson
		 Calma Company

How do you spell relief?

kate-fan@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (08/30/85)

From: smithson@calma.uucp (Brian Smithson)

> The following csh script does a reasonable, although perhaps amatuer, job
> of alleviating the problem at my end.

Does it really?

-Doug

trudel@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Jon) (08/30/85)

Well, I can see that is doesn't.  Well, does anyone care to write one
that deletes all messages from mit-eddie?  I'll bet that he will
find a way around that one, too.

JUST IGNORE HIM!  DON'T REPLYTO HIS ARTICLES, AND MAYBE, JUST
MAYBE, HE'LL GO AWAY.
--

					   Jonathan D. Trudel
					arpa:trudel@ru-blue.arpa