[net.women] Name Changes a case history

brianc@tekla.UUCP (Brian Conley) (08/23/85)

> > I am getting married soon.  From what I have read, I understand
> > I can legally choose to keep my name or change it, as long as I
> > do so consistently.  Ideally I would like to change my name for
> > personal use (the idea of everyone in my new family having the
> > same name appeals to me), but keep my name (&reputation) at work.
> > At a later time when I changed jobs and my old name didn't mean
> > anything to anyone I would use my new name everywhere.
> >
> > In some professions (e.g., acting) people have "professional" and
> > private names.  Is there any way I could do that?  My main concern
> > is my paycheck (could I cash it if it were in my maiden name)
> > and my IRS records.

            AN ADVOCATE FOR NOT CHANGING NAMES

Switching between a "Professional" and a "Private" name
sounds really risky.  Even if you wait to change jobs you still have
to worry about having someone try to check the truth of your resume',
something which is supposedly happening quite often now.
Just get people used to ONE situation, don't
confuse them with a name for every occasion.

I refused to change MY name when I got married.
So did my wife.
I don't remember how the Feds did it (I think they got it right),
but Arizona Revenue knew my wife and I as "ConleyKostin, Brian B.
and Joan E."
Other than the minor inconveniences such as the above, it appears to
be working out quite well. Buying a house, having a child and other
things are no more complicated if you and your spouse have different
last names.

 Keep in mind however,

1) Have your mate's support.  There are a lot of stupid people
   who refuse to understand anything new.  (Most to them are over
   40, perhaps brain death occurs at that age?)  The bad comments to
   date have ranged from "OH, one of THOSE *NEW* marriages"
   (stated in a DISAPPROVING tone) to "women who don't change their
   names are not as committed to the marriage" (obviously a brain death
   case).  I have a thick skin and a warped sense of humor (more later)
   so I almost enjoy these comments.
   Also, parents may take a while to get used to the idea. (Ours weren't
   too bad.)

2) There are several advantages.  For example, after we bought our
   first house we got the usual pitches for insurance, improvements, etc.
   Despite the fact that the house was in BOTH our names, these toads
   only picked up mine (i.e. "Mr.Conley").
   Thus any callers asking for "Mrs. Conley"
   are told they have a wrong number. (At first my wife wondered why they
   wanted to talk to my mother.)
   Another is that your coworkers won't be
   left scratching their heads because they can't find you in the
   company directory ("I just saw her yesterday, how OLD is this
   *&%$ book?")

3) BEFORE you decide to have kids decide how to handle the last name.
   The first names were easy, decided the second month.  The LAST name
   was decided 12 hours into labor, but I'm not complaining.

     Emma E. Kostin-Conley (07 July 1985)

   Now I get mail to "Mr. Kostin-Conley".
    Right,  "Sorry, wrong number."

Tell us how it works out. Good luck.
   Conley, Hillsboro Oregon.

ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) (08/25/85)

Suppose both spouses keep their names and hyphenate the kids.
Said kids grow up and marry other similarly-hyphenated people.
What do they name THEIR kids?

Perhaps both spouses should choose a (shared) new surname
when they marry?  Perhaps kids should choose a new (non-hyphenated)
surname when they leave their parents?

martillo@csd2.UUCP (Joachim Martillo) (08/25/85)

For women changing last names upon marriage is pretty silly especially
because almost half  will get divorced  anyway.  Both my  mother's and
father's families come from areas where patrynomics were  much more in
vogue than last names.  Therefor my mother remains Hannah Ruth 'A`jami
as  short for Hannah  Ruth bat Hassan 'A`jami  az-Zanzuri at those few
times when my mother's marital status need be indicated she  uses  the
form  Hanna Ajami  di  Martillo.   Depending  on mood  I  hyphenate my
mothers   name onto my  name   which   is common  in Latin  countries.
Martillo is not the  family name but rather a  nickname which  we have
used since WWI anyway.

mmar@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Mitchell Marks) (08/26/85)

> Suppose both spouses keep their names and hyphenate the kids.
> Said kids grow up and marry other similarly-hyphenated people.
> What do they name THEIR kids?

Exactly this problem comes up in Spain and some Latin American
countries.  Well, it isn't hyphenation, but compounding with
`y' and `de'.  They can reach four surnames, but then limit
the expansion.  I don't know exactly how the pruning is done when
it gets longer.
--

            -- Mitch Marks @ UChicago
               ...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!mmar

features@ihuxf.UUCP (aMAZon) (08/26/85)

> Suppose both spouses keep their names and hyphenate the kids.
> Said kids grow up and marry other similarly-hyphenated people.
> What do they name THEIR kids?
>
> Perhaps both spouses should choose a (shared) new surname
> when they marry?  Perhaps kids should choose a new (non-hyphenated)
> surname when they leave their parents?

Don't the Spanish folks do something like this?  I mean, incorporate
the mother's last name as a middle name or something for the kids?
Someone who knows more about this than me, help us out.
--

aMAZon @ AT&T Bell Labs, Naperville, IL; ihnp4!ihuxf!features

gkloker@utai.UUCP (Geoff Loker) (08/26/85)

In article <4206@alice.UUCP> ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) writes:
>Suppose both spouses keep their names and hyphenate the kids.
>Said kids grow up and marry other similarly-hyphenated people.
>What do they name THEIR kids?
>
>Perhaps both spouses should choose a (shared) new surname
>when they marry?  Perhaps kids should choose a new (non-hyphenated)
>surname when they leave their parents?

England has been handling the problem of hyphenated last names for
generations, now.  When two hyphenated people marry, they each drop
one of the names in their hyphenated last name, and their new last
name is made up of the remaining last names.  (eg. -- Joe Blueblood-Snob
and Jane Uppercrust-Rich marry and become the Rich-Snob's.)  There is
some sort of formula for determining which names get dropped, and the
ordering of the names in the new last name.  I don't see any reason
why this system couldn't be used in the above case.

--
Geoff Loker
Department of Computer Science

USENET:	{ihnp4 decwrl utzoo uw-beaver}!utcsri!utai!gkloker
CSNET:		gkloker@toronto
ARPANET:	gkloker.toronto@csnet-relay

doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (08/27/85)

> Suppose both spouses keep their names and hyphenate the kids.
> Said kids grow up and marry other similarly-hyphenated people.
> What do they name THEIR kids?

No problem.  The current Yuppie fad will have long since died out, and
the kids will have dis-owned the names of their "ME-generation" parents.
--
Doug Pardee -- CalComp -- {seismo!noao,decvax!noao,ihnp4}!terak!doug

young@yale.ARPA (Jonathan Young) (08/27/85)

In article <4206@alice.UUCP> ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) writes:
>Suppose both spouses keep their names and hyphenate the kids.
>Said kids grow up and marry other similarly-hyphenated people.
>What do they name THEIR kids?
>
>Perhaps both spouses should choose a (shared) new surname
>when they marry?  Perhaps kids should choose a new (non-hyphenated)
>surname when they leave their parents?

One possibility would be to designate one half of the hyphenated
name as "patronymic", to be inherited from the father, and the other
half as "matronymic" (this word isn't in my dictionary), inherited
from the mother.  Thusly, mother Alice A-B and father Bob C-D name
their kids Cathy and Dan A-D.  (Or C-B if you're feeling that way).

This also deals nicely with the problem of naming kids by a previous
marriage.

I believe that at least one (african? spanish?) culture actually
uses this system.

		--- Jonathan (...decvax!yale!young@UUCP or young@yale.ARPA)

dailey@cornell.UUCP (John Dailey) (08/28/85)

In article <1060@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP> mmar@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Mitchell Marks) writes:
>Exactly this problem comes up in Spain and some Latin American
>countries.  Well, it isn't hyphenation, but compounding with
>`y' and `de'.  They can reach four surnames, but then limit
>the expansion.  I don't know exactly how the pruning is done when
>it gets longer.
>--
Actually, in Spain (and I assume in Latin America) the wife keeps her maiden
name when she gets married and the children have two legal last names. The
first last name and the one used most of the time, except on legal documents,
(where both last names are required) is the husband's first - last name. The
second last name of the child is the wife's first last name( her father's name).
In Spain only the two last names are required, but most could tell you more
of them. My wife can easily list at least ten. This is limited only by
memory and/or interest. The list of names is composed as follows:
father's name, mother's name, father's mother's name (paternal grandmother),
mother's mother's name (maternal grandmother),etc. back through
the generations, which is a convenient way of recalling one's family
tree and remembering one's ancestors. I, for example, have no idea
who my great grandmother was. Oh, the 'y' is optional and rarely used except
in some names where it is really part of the name. None of my Spanish friends
use it.

|				      John H. Dailey                         |
|				      Center for Applied Math.               |
|				      Cornell U.                             |
|				      Ithaca, N.Y. 14853                     |
|		  {decvax,ihnp4,cmcl2,vax135}!cornell!amvax!dailey (USENET)  |
|			     dailey%amvax@cornell.arpa (ARPANET)             |

tan@ihlpg.UUCP (Bill Tanenbaum) (08/31/85)

How about taking alternate letters from each parent's name?
Then I would be Bill Tlnnneaum.  My wife would be Abby Dtrimmnn.
Our kids would be Sara and Laura Ttninmanm.  See, it works!
--
Bill Tanenbaum - AT&T Bell Labs - Naperville IL  ihnp4!ihlpg!tan