[net.women] reading material

thoma@reed.UUCP (Ann Muir Thomas) (08/05/85)

Does anybody have suggestions for cheap, untrashy, feminist-
oriented reading material for my forays into the "water closet"?
I am getting tired of reading my housemates' gossip sheets and
_Cosmopolitans_, especially the latter, as I am the antithesis
of the "Cosmo girl".

Ann
(decvax|uw-beaver|ihnp4|hplabs)!tektronix!reed!thoma

luner@uwai.UUCP (08/06/85)

> reading material for my forays into the "water closet"?
>    (decvax|uw-beaver|ihnp4|hplabs)!tektronix!reed!thoma

A friend of mine had the bad habit keeping a copy of The Dunesbury (sp?)
Chronicles in the WC. By the time you got out either the coffee was cold
or the scotch was watery.
					/DLL

norman@lasspvax.UUCP (Norman Ramsey) (08/07/85)

In article <1774@reed.UUCP> thoma@reed.UUCP (Ann Muir Thomas) writes:
>Does anybody have suggestions for cheap, untrashy, feminist-
>oriented reading material for my forays into the "water closet"?
>I am getting tired of reading my housemates' gossip sheets and
>_Cosmopolitans_, especially the latter, as I am the antithesis
>of the "Cosmo girl".

There may be a feminist bookstore in your area. People at such paces are
usualy very knowledgable and well-informed. If you can't find one where you
are, send me some mail and I can give you the address of one here (in
Ithaca, NY, which is Mecca for book lovers anyway). Perhaps if you write
them they will be able to help you out.

--
Norman Ramsey
ARPA: norman@lasspvax  -- or --  norman%lasspvax@cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu

cat@tommif.UUCP (Catherine Mikkelsen) (08/13/85)

In article <1774@reed.UUCP>, thoma@reed.UUCP (Ann Muir Thomas) writes:
> *** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MESSAGE ***
> Does anybody have suggestions for cheap, untrashy, feminist-
> oriented reading material for my forays into the "water closet"?
> I am getting tired of reading my housemates' gossip sheets and
> _Cosmopolitans_, especially the latter, as I am the antithesis
> of the "Cosmo girl".
>
> Ann
> (decvax|uw-beaver|ihnp4|hplabs)!tektronix!reed!thoma

Cosmo -- glegk!  I actually bought a Cosmo mag (proper jargon??)
last year and, no, it hadn't changed.  Unlike the poor National
Lampoon which now seems virtually unreadable (sigh).

But now for suggestions.  Here are some of my current favorites:

<NOTE:  The following writers, though no doubt feminist (WHERE are
my quotes???) are basically just good writers.
They do NOT spout feminist propaganda.
I assumed when Ann requested suggestions for feminist-type literature
she merely meant GOOD literature, perhaps of the type pertaining to
or written by women. And perhaps Ann was referring to the type of writing
that is supportive of and does not condone or contain violence
towards women.... it seems to be  ONE of the alternatives
to those *If you let him kick you, will he buy you a silk nightie?*
articles that one sees in Cosmo (:-).

Alice Adams is one of my current favorites. I suggest _Rich Rewards_ or
(I probably have this title wrong) _Some Girls_, although I like
almost everything that she's written.  Now that I look at the name, I
am almost certain that I have the title of _Some Girls_ wrong...
oh well.

Isak Dineson is also a wonderful writer.  She was a Danish woman,
married to a baron, who ended up living alone in the middle of Africa
for years.  Isak (also known as the Baroness Blixen and Karen Blixen)
wrote fiction, although one of her best works is a collection of letters and
stories titled _Out of Africa_.  Isak describes unsettled Africa, the
natives, and her own rather, er, unusual lifestyle beautifully.

A black female anthropologist who studied cultural aspects of Jamaican life,
Nora Zeale Hurston is another interesting writer.  _Tell My Horse_ is a
study of Jamaican culture in three parts: the first part describes Jamaica
(am I spelling this right???  I will NOT look it up) from a traveller's
perspective, the second describes Ms. Hurston's experiences with Jamaican
people, and the third describes the role of religion, social subjugation,
voodoism, etc. in Jamaican culture.  Very interesting, as Ms. Hurston
manages to juxtapose somewhat personal observations and experiences with
(no-doubt) anthropologically-based cultural observations -- without
becoming sappy.

And now for the disclaimer:

It is 4:30 am and I can't sleep.  I don't have my contact lenses
in either, so if I want to see what I've written, I have to kind of
lean on the keyboard.  Both of which lead up to:  If this is illegible
and unreadable, blame it elsewhere!

Catherine Mikkelsen
decwrl!greipa!tommif!cat

matt@oddjob.UUCP (Matt Crawford) (08/17/85)

I sent mail to the original author suggesting the magazine
"Mother Jones", but if the field has widened to include
books...

I'm afraid my taste runs mostly to science fiction, and
if a novel is *novel* in some way, I consider it worth
reading.  C. J. Cherryh's works definitely satisfy this
criterion, and I recommend her works.  She grinds no
overt axes but gives many eye-opening alternatives for
alien and human societies.

An author with an axe to grind seems to be <name forgotten
- sorry!>, who wrote a trilogy beginning with _The_
_Northern_Girl_.  I read all three of those books, and
although they purport to describe a more enlightened and
mature attitude toward sexuality, there is NOT ONE
major heterosexual character among the three novels.

In the non-fiction arena, I just read Gloria Steinem's
_Outrageous_Acts_and_Everyday_Rebellions_.  Has anyone
else read that, and would they like to discuss it, via
mail or out in front of everyone?

(BTW, did anyone here that before "James Tiptree, Jr."
was discovered to be female, that MCP Robert Silverburg
insisted vehemently that "he" must be male because of
the male outlook or some such in "his" writing?  Chortle!)
Matt		University	crawford@anl-mcs.arpa
Crawford	of Chicago	ihnp4!oddjob!matt

valerie@sdcc13.UUCP (Valerie Polichar) (08/21/85)

In article <924@oddjob.UUCP> matt@oddjob.UUCP (Matt Crawford) writes:
>An author with an axe to grind seems to be <name forgotten
>- sorry!>, who wrote a trilogy beginning with _The_
>_Northern_Girl_.  I read all three of those books, and
>although they purport to describe a more enlightened and
>mature attitude toward sexuality, there is NOT ONE
>major heterosexual character among the three novels.

The author is ELIZABETH LYNN.  She also wrote The_Sardonyx_Net, among
others.  The books are often classified as "lesbian feminist
science-fantasy".  In my opinion, they are simply exceeedingly well-written
fantasy adventures.  They present an /interesting/ view on sexuality.

nonh@utzoo.UUCP (Chris Robertson) (08/29/85)

For books which don't preach, but simply portray a society in which
women are (more accurately, become) completely integrated, I recommend
a trilogy which you'll find in the science fiction section --
"Tornor Keep", "Dancers of Arun" (?), and "The Northern Girl", and DAMN!
I can't remember the author, 'cause I borrowed the books instead of buying
them. The last of the triology is a particularly fine portrait of the
two female protagonists.

--chris

faunt@hplabs.UUCP (Doug Faunt) (09/13/85)

> For books which don't preach, but simply portray a society in which
> women are (more accurately, become) completely integrated, I recommend
> a trilogy which you'll find in the science fiction section --
> "Tornor Keep", "Dancers of Arun" (?), and "The Northern Girl", and DAMN!
> I can't remember the author, 'cause I borrowed the books instead of buying
> them. The last of the triology is a particularly fine portrait of the
> two female protagonists.
>
> --chris

The author is Elizabeth A. Lynn.
--
  ....!hplabs!faunt	faunt%hplabs@csnet-relay.ARPA
HP is not responsible for anything I say here.  In fact, what I say here