[net.women] Good ol' Mom

jcp@osiris.UUCP (Jody Patilla) (09/07/85)

	I've been reading a collection of essays by historian Carroll
Smith-Rosenberg called "Disorderly Conduct", about women's history in
Victorian America. One essay in particular deals with the intimacy among
women that was prevalent 150 years ago. It was not uncommon for women to
become close friends as girls and remain very close for the rest of their
lives, even after marriage and long-term physical separation. Women also
maintained close relationships with women of older or younger generations,
including their mothers. She quotes from letters in which older and younger
women and mothers and daughters enjoy a closeness and emotional intimacy
that is not often seen now between generations of women, and especially between
mothers and daughters. This leads me to suggest a new topic for discussion -
what are the mother-daughter (and mother-son) relationships like for the
folks in the news group ?
	My relations with my own mother are wonderful. I wish she lived
next door. In fact, I hope some day to have lots of money and a big house
so she can come to live with us (my husband agrees whole-heartedly, honest-
he thinks she's wonderful too). But then, my mom is nuts. She met my dad
when BOTH of them were in the Marines. 30 years ago, she dated Stan Kenton's
band manager. She picks snakes up out of the garden with her bare hands
and lectures them for preying on her pet toads. (I am NOT making this up)
Anything I've ever wanted to do has been fine with her - she's very supportive
and non-judgemental. (mostly since *I* have to keep *her* out of trouble!)
She hugs on anything that holds still for 2 seconds, and we often hold hands
in public. I could go on and on but you get the idea. People who think I'm
rather odd meet my mom and then it all becomes clear.
	My mother-in-law, on the other hand, closely resembles a prickly
pear cactus. She truly means well, and she likes me and treats me as best
she can but she is not an affectionate person at all. She doesn't like
babies or animals (strange, since she had 6 kids). She complains all the
time, is extremely dour and does not put forth with the approval and praise.
None of her children feels close to her at all, and they all have hang-ups
about their family and their self-images.
	The contrast here shows how important these relationships can be.
How would you categorise your relationship with your mother ? How has she
affected your self-image ? Your relations with other women and with men
(vice-versa if you're a guy) ? If you are a mother now or plan to be, do
you want to be like or different from your own mother ? How has your mother
affected your view of yourself as a woman ? Do you agree or disagree with
your mother on women's issues ?
	I'd like to see what people think about this, since it is something
that affects women, and men's relationships with women and everyone ought
to have something to say about it (if you don't then maybe it's time for
some introspection!).
--
jcpatilla

"At night, the ice weasels come."

barryg@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Lee Gold) (09/12/85)

My relations with my mother are fairly close.  We talk two or three times
a week on the phone and see each other every week or so.  We also sometimes
trade books to read (I turned her on to reading science fiction).
However, I don't think I modeled myself on her particularly.  She's a
sweet, intelligent lady but I grew up noticing that whenever she and
father disagreed, we did things his way.  And I prefer winning to being
sweet.

My father and I don't get on at all well.  For years I just assumed he
hated me.  In my early 20s I found out I looked just like his mother who
died when he was in his teens.  He never implied he disliked me because I
was a woman; it was because I was as opinionated and outspoken as he was.

Neither of them ever behaved dishonorably to me.  I grew up expecting that
everyone would be truthful and keep their promises and was surprised to
run into adults for whom this wasn't true.  Both my parents stressed that
as a woman I was free to take either the traditional male or traditional
female role--or hack out my own.  I ended up working part time, wearing
dresses rather than slacks, and having a husband who does the cooking--a
compromise path, I suppose.

My husband's family doesn't understand me particularly.  But then they
don't understand him either.  They brought up their own daughter to be
cutely dependent--and they're still helping  support her now that she's 36.
They do tell me I'm their second daughter.  *sigh*

--Lee Gold

linda@amdcad.UUCP (Linda Seltzer) (09/12/85)

In article <520@osiris.UUCP>, jcp@osiris.UUCP (Jody Patilla) writes:

Women also
> maintained close relationships with women of older or younger generations,
> including their mothers. She quotes from letters in which older and younger
> women and mothers and daughters enjoy a closeness and emotional intimacy
> that is not often seen now between generations of women, and especially between
> mothers and daughters. This leads me to suggest a new topic for discussion -
> what are the mother-daughter (and mother-son) relationships like for the
 folks in the news group ?

I have two close friendships with women of the older generation.  These
are very warm, lasting friendships.  One of them composes computer music
(as I do) and we have put on several concerts together.

As for the relationship with my mother - I have exactly the relationship
I want with her - I haven't spoken to her in 15 years, and was completely
on my own by the time I was 17.

pking@uiucuxc.Uiuc.ARPA (09/20/85)

I thought alot about this question --   my mother and I were
very close, best friends almost, and in looks we're a lot
alike, and there are a lot of people who say we're alot a like
in many other ways but I don't see that.  She was a nurse
for over forty years (I was born when she was 37), I
go weak at the site of blood and never had any desire to
enter the medical profession.  She had the most incredible
patience, and endurance of anyone I ever knew.  Very few
things rattled her and I wish now I could have that trait.
She taught me it was okay to have a career and a family,
but family and childern were always first in her life and
they are in mine as well.  My mother and father worked
all of my childhood but I knew as did my sister, mom or dad
were only a phone call away.  She was more tolerant than
I am, she put up with my father moving around the country
as he changed jobs about every five or six years or so.

Mother died June 14, 1984.  She had just retired in January,
and endured cancer surgery and treatments.  Blessedly
her death was quick and relatively painless.  I miss her still,
and there are times when I think about all of the things I
could have said and didn't when she was alive.  Her closest
friend once told me that mother knew how I felt, but I still
wish I'd said it to her, and I hope in whatever after life
she's in that she knows.  I learned alot from her, about
strength, patience, love as well as how to be myself, because
that's what she always seemed to be.  She wasn't a great
cook, or a great seamstress, or anything like that, so
in consequence neither am I, but I don't think I'm
any the poorer for it.

Perhaps I didn't really appreciate her until it was too late,
and maybe a lot of people out there feel that same way when
they lose a parent, believe me there's no pain like it on
earth, except perhaps for the loss of a child (they are a
tie for 1 and 2 in the pain department).

Well I guess that's all, except I'm glad she and I were
friends, and mother and daughter, I wouldn't have traded
the relationship for all the money in the world.

pat king
university of illinois
adminstrative information systems and services
54 adminstration building
506 s. wright
urbana, il 61801

uiucdcs!uiucuxc!pking