[net.women] Sunny's comments and opposition to assertive women

linda@amdcad.UUCP (Linda Seltzer) (08/16/85)

I don't think that some of the inappropriately sarcastic and
rejecting responses to Sunny's observations are necessarily
due to Sunny's life experience.  There are some men who are
very hostile to any woman who presents herself in a self-assured,
competent and non-deferential manner.  Women are expected to
speak with different (less self confident and assertive)
speech patterns than men, and they are never supposed to
engage in head-on intellectual debate with a man.  I saw
a woman lose a possible position at a large company because
in a seminar she argued with a male speaker, saying "Frankly,
that is not the case" rather than saying: "Don't you think that ...
might be plausible?".  As Sunny experiences more and more of
womanhood I suspect that she will experience more and more
of this phenomena from some individuals.

demillo@uwmacc.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) (08/24/85)

> I don't think that some of the inappropriately sarcastic and
> rejecting responses to Sunny's observations are necessarily
> due to Sunny's life experience.  There are some men who are
> very hostile to any woman who presents herself in a self-assured,
> competent and non-deferential manner.

 And there are some women who do same...as a matter of fact, I object
to men who behave as pompous asses as much as I object to women
who behave as pompous asses...

> Women are expected to
> speak with different (less self confident and assertive)
> speech patterns than men, and they are never supposed to
> engage in head-on intellectual debate with a man.

This, unfortunately, is sad, but true in some cases. I have seen
many cases of men who feel that women who don't say "yes sir" to
everything are "too aggressive." There are also women, however, that
believe the same thing....

>   As Sunny experiences more and more of
> womanhood I suspect that she will experience more and more
> of this phenomena from some individuals.

And this statement houses the crux of my objects to Sunny
boisterously proclaiming "the voice of experience." Sunny
was not born a woman, she did not grow up a woman (although
she may have felt that she wanted to), she spent her earlier
years growing up as a man. This cannot be erased...
I'm amazed that women out there weren't offended by Sunny's claims
that she "knows what its like to be a woman." (Anyone ever
read "Black Like Me"?)

Pumping yourself up with hormones, and assuming the personna of someone
of the opposite gender does not give you the right to proclaim
"womanhood." (A little drug alteration never hurt anybody, eh?)
I have no objection to the concept of a member of one sex, feeling
uncomfortable with his/her sex, taking "modern" advantages to
alter his/her biology to the opposite gender...but that is a
far cry from being that gender.

...and while I'm ranting and raving, let me voice another
complaint: what is the problem with this newsgroup? If a man
says something: a woman points a finger, if a woman says something,
a man points a finger. What's with the man vs. woman stuff?

I joined this newsgroup because I thought it would give me an
opportunity as a man to: (a) hear life from a woman's point of
view and (b) hear what other men feel about what's happening
from the woman's point of view.

I'm not sure I expressed all that quite right, but I sure
am disappointed...

--
                           --- Rob DeMillo
                               Madison Academic Computer Center

	"...That's enough, that's enough!
	    Television's takin' its toll.
	    Turn it off, turn it off!
	    Give me the remote control!
	    I've been nice! I've been good!
	    Please don't do this to me!
	    I've been nice, turn it off,
	    I don't wanna hav'ta see...
		...'The Brady Bunch!'"

chabot@miles.DEC (All God's chillun got guns) (08/28/85)

Rob DeMillo
> I'm amazed that women out there weren't offended by Sunny's claims
> that she "knows what its like to be a woman." (Anyone ever
> read "Black Like Me"?)
>
> Pumping yourself up with hormones, and assuming the personna of someone
> of the opposite gender does not give you the right to proclaim
> "womanhood." (A little drug alteration never hurt anybody, eh?)

If you're so amazed, maybe you should stop being amazed and learn something
from it.  If women aren't proclaiming offense, it's possible that they don't
feel any.  Why should we trash Sunny?  Everybody's growing up experience is
different, I don't say Sunny speaks for me, but I sure do think she has an
interesting background from which to speak, very different from mine but no less
valid.  What about women who are raised like sons?  Do we discredit them if
they didn't own enough pink party dresses before the age of 10?!  If I told
you "what it's like to be a woman", would you believe me to have the whole
truth?  Wouldn't you base it on what other women say too?

What you have said, on the other hand, is cruel.  And particularly unfortunate
at this time: it's another log on the fire.  With crud like this, we may never
convince Sunny or another (declared) transsexual to contribute.  Whatever you
may think of the treatment, can't you see that it means a tremendous amount to
that persons undergoing it?  If Sunny makes comments about male hormones that
you find cruel, discuss (or whatever) *that*.  If you're problem is instead
a hangup or ignorance about transsexuals, why don't you suspend your hangup for
just awhile and see if you can't learn something--what do you think many of the
rest of us have been doing?!

The best response to someone expressing disappointment with a newsgroup usually
runs something like--go away or help make it the nice place you really want.

L S Chabot    ...decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-amber!chabot

jamcmullan@wateng.UUCP (Judy McMullan) (08/30/85)

>I'm amazed that women out there weren't offended by Sunny's claims
>that she "knows what its like to be a woman." (Anyone ever
>read "Black Like Me"?)
>
>Pumping yourself up with hormones, and assuming the personna of someone
>of the opposite gender does not give you the right to proclaim
>"womanhood." (A little drug alteration never hurt anybody, eh?)
>I have no objection to the concept of a member of one sex, feeling
>uncomfortable with his/her sex, taking "modern" advantages to
>alter his/her biology to the opposite gender...but that is a
>far cry from being that gender.

Offended? My goodness no! I love reading what Sunny has to say.
There is a difference between sex and gender. If someone is born with a certain
set of chromosomes THEIR GENDER IDENTITY DOES NOT ALWAYS MATCH. True.
Believe it. Look it up in an introductory psych text.
And, though biology determines one's reproductive ability, gender ("manhood"
and "womanhood" from a psychological viewpoint) has been known to deviate
from biology -- sometimes through early training and sometimes through some
innate predilection.
It seems to me that Sunny has not "assumed the personna of someone of the
opposite gender" but her gender identity is closest to a woman's. ("gender"
is a concept -- not something measurable like chromosomes). So, I think that
combined with the hormones and life of a woman qualify her pretty well to talk
as a woman. I sure agree with a lot more of her views on what women want than I
do with Phyllis Schafly (sp?)!!

   --from the sssstickkky keyboard of JAM
   ...!{ihnp4|clyde|decvax}!watmath!wateng!jamcmullan

cfs@uvacs.UUCP (Cathy Summers) (09/11/85)

>Rob DeMillo
>>
>> Pumping yourself up with hormones, and assuming the personna of someone
>> of the opposite gender does not give you the right to proclaim
>> "womanhood." (A little drug alteration never hurt anybody, eh?)

As Sunny stated, we are changing to the correct not opposite gender.

Yes, I too am a transsexual.  I have been somewhat shy about contributing
to this discussion because I am currently seeking employment and lost one
job when I told a prospective employer that I was in the process of changing
my sex (they were willing to let me come to work under any name that I
chose but until the sex reassignment process was completed I would have had
to "function as a male" while at work) and didn't want to risk losing other
offers.  I am also no glutton for punishment (the friction between myself
and my parents that my decision has caused is enough), and given the
attacks on Sunny, I didn't want to open myself up for any similar shots.

I can't give you any definitive answers on what causes transsexualism,
nor can I analyze what the effects of the therapy are for anyone but myself.
I can support Sunny's original claim that groups of males only do show a
preoccupation with sex and sexual jokes and comments.  I've observed this
while working in a McDonalds as a teenager, with the upper middle class
kids with whom I went to school, and the relatively "educated" people
from diverse backgrounds who are fellow graduate students.  I'm not saying
that ALL males act that way; I'm just saying that a lot do.

As to Sunny's comments about the changes in mental outlook produced by the
estrogen therapy

> My only expectations were of physical changes to my body, i.e. the reason for
> taking them was related to my transition from male to female body
> characteristics.  My observations of mental changes were unexpected, and are
> mostly of less agression/assertion/sex-obsession and  more passive/peaceful/
> sensuality/emotionality.

I too take estrogens to produce physical changes in my body.  From readings
in the medical literature and in the ordinary press, I knew that with the
increase in the ratio of estrogens to testosterone I could experience a
decrease in my libido (read: sexual drive) and an increase in physical
sensitivity and sensuality.  I didn't expect that I'd become more patient
or empathic, but I have.  I don't know that these changes are directly
attributable to the hormones, or are simply coming about as I am finally
reaching a more stable existence.

For the previous several years, as I tried to deny the feeling that I am
a female, I led a strange life.  The part of me that was trying to deny my
transsexualism tied to be strong and masculine, mentally and physically.
I know that it is not necessary to be "a macho stud" to be a male; I know
that males can be nice sensitive people (at least that's the rumor I hear :-),
but underneath it all I disliked my body and the roles society offered.
I tried various methods of denying the feelings and convincing myself
that I was a male, and that I wanted to live my life as a male.  I used to
feel somewhat schizophrenic; that I was a male and a female, and that the
two were separate identities as I tried to disassociate my public persona
from my true feelings.  Two years ago, I decided that I could no longer
deny the feelings.

I've been taking estrogens on a monthly cycle for the last eighteen months.
Yes, there are some days in the cycle when I don't feel as good as others,
but I don't think that my mental capabilities are at all diminished during
those periods.  The estrogens have had the desired effect of starting the
development of female secondary sex characteristics.  Also, as I mentioned
above, I find that I am more patient and empathic.  Is this due to the
estrogens or due to an easing of the tensions in my life?  I'm not sure.

Now that I accept what and who I am and the consequences of my decision,
I am definitely happier.  I no longer feel like two people or try to hide
part of my feelings or history in another "person".  With the exception of
this audience, I also do not broadcast the fact that I was a male.  While
there are still some parts of my body that I dislike, I now know that
it is only a matter of time before I'll be complete.

L.S. Chabot wrote
>                                       Everybody's growing up experience is
>different, I don't say Sunny speaks for me, but I sure do think she has an
>interesting background from which to speak, very different from mine but no less
>valid.

and
>                                             With crud like this, we may never
>convince Sunny or another (declared) transsexual to contribute.  Whatever you
>may think of the treatment, can't you see that it means a tremendous amount to
>that persons undergoing it?  If Sunny makes comments about male hormones that
>you find cruel, discuss (or whatever) *that*.  If you're problem is instead
>a hangup or ignorance about transsexuals, why don't you suspend your hangup for
>just awhile and see if you can't learn something--what do you think many of the
>rest of us have been doing?!

It is in response to her statement that she is trying to "learn something"
that prompted me to contribute.  I hope that this article helped those of
you who wanted to learn more about transsexualism through the feelings and
thoughts of another transsexual.

Cathy Summers  ...decvax!mcnc!ncsu!uvacs!cfs

todd@scirtp.UUCP (Todd Jones) (09/13/85)

...explanation of transexuality and causes...

> I've been taking estrogens on a monthly cycle for the last eighteen months.
> Yes, there are some days in the cycle when I don't feel as good as others,
> but I don't think that my mental capabilities are at all diminished during
> those periods.  The estrogens have had the desired effect of starting the
> development of female secondary sex characteristics.  Also, as I mentioned
> above, I find that I am more patient and empathic.  Is this due to the
> estrogens or due to an easing of the tensions in my life?  I'm not sure.
>
> Now that I accept what and who I am and the consequences of my decision,
> I am definitely happier.  I no longer feel like two people or try to hide
> part of my feelings or history in another "person".  With the exception of
> this audience, I also do not broadcast the fact that I was a male.  While
> there are still some parts of my body that I dislike, I now know that
> it is only a matter of time before I'll be complete.
>
> It is in response to her statement that she is trying to "learn something"
> that prompted me to contribute.  I hope that this article helped those of
> you who wanted to learn more about transsexualism through the feelings and
> thoughts of another transsexual.
>
> Cathy Summers  ...decvax!mcnc!ncsu!uvacs!cfs

I don't mean to discourage Sunny from posting, but I'll tell you
one thing: Cathy's posting was so non-judgemental and enlightening
that it gave me a very good insight into the internal soul-searching
of someone endowed with mismatching gender and personal identities.

I read Sunny's postings regularly, to try to get some insight
on gender roles and societal expectations, but I am often
dismayed at the level of bitterness (perhaps it is responding
to the, undoubtedly, huge amount of hate mail sent to her)
in her postings. I hope Cathy's offering will foster interest
in the subject that will allow more netters to contribute
in a productive way.

   ||   ||
   [ O-O ]       Todd Jones
    \ ^ /        {decvax,akgua}!mcnc!rti-sel!scirtp!todd
    | ~ |
    |___|        SCI Systems Inc. doesn't necessarily agree with Todd.

brower@fortune.UUCP (Richard Brower) (09/20/85)

In article <2364@uvacs.UUCP> cfs@uvacs.UUCP (Cathy Summers) writes:
>>Rob DeMillo
>>> Pumping yourself up with hormones, and assuming the personna of someone
>>> of the opposite gender does not give you the right to proclaim
>>> "womanhood." (A little drug alteration never hurt anybody, eh?)
>As Sunny stated, we are changing to the correct not opposite gender.

From knowing several TS's over the last 15 years, this is indeed the
correct interpretation of a sex change.  In fact most TS's being helped
by doctors must go through lengthy evaluations with the shrinks to make
sure that this is reason for requesting the proceedures.  I might also
point out that the whole process takes several years, causes large
amounts of pain over much of that time (physical type pain) and leads
to extreme difficulty with insensitive assholes such as Rob Demillo's
posting seems to portray.

I appreaciated reading and seeing your posting Cathy.  Good luck in your
future.

Richard A. Brower		Fortune Systems
{ihnp4,ucbvax!amd,hpda,sri-unix,harpo}!fortune!brower

dnc@dartvax.UUCP (David Crespo) (09/30/85)

> ...explanation of transexuality and causes...
>
> > I've been taking estrogens on a monthly cycle for the last eighteen months.
> > Yes, there are some days in the cycle when I don't feel as good as others,
> > but I don't think that my mental capabilities are at all diminished during
> > those periods.  The estrogens have had the desired effect of starting the
> > development of female secondary sex characteristics.  Also, as I mentioned
> > above, I find that I am more patient and empathic.  Is this due to the
> > estrogens or due to an easing of the tensions in my life?  I'm not sure.
> >
> > Now that I accept what and who I am and the consequences of my decision,
> > I am definitely happier.  I no longer feel like two people or try to hide
> > part of my feelings or history in another "person".  With the exception of
> > this audience, I also do not broadcast the fact that I was a male.  While
> > there are still some parts of my body that I dislike, I now know that
> > it is only a matter of time before I'll be complete.
> >
> > It is in response to her statement that she is trying to "learn something"
> > that prompted me to contribute.  I hope that this article helped those of
> > you who wanted to learn more about transsexualism through the feelings and
> > thoughts of another transsexual.
> >
> > Cathy Summers  ...decvax!mcnc!ncsu!uvacs!cfs
>
> I don't mean to discourage Sunny from posting, but I'll tell you
> one thing: Cathy's posting was so non-judgemental and enlightening
> that it gave me a very good insight into the internal soul-searching
> of someone endowed with mismatching gender and personal identities.
>
> I read Sunny's postings regularly, to try to get some insight
> on gender roles and societal expectations, but I am often
> dismayed at the level of bitterness (perhaps it is responding
> to the, undoubtedly, huge amount of hate mail sent to her)
> in her postings. I hope Cathy's offering will foster interest
> in the subject that will allow more netters to contribute
> in a productive way.

>    ||   ||
>    [ O-O ]       Todd Jones
>     \ ^ /        {decvax,akgua}!mcnc!rti-sel!scirtp!todd
>     | ~ |
>     |___|        SCI Systems Inc. doesn't necessarily agree with Todd.

   perchance, concerning both "sunny's" and Cathy's
original nettings, does anyone have a way of sending them to me??
I can't get to the parent articles from where I sit,
but I think they must have been spectacular contributions.
dnc @ dartmouth