[net.women] porn etc.

thoma@reed.UUCP (Ann Muir Thomas) (09/19/85)

	I don't have time to post a comprehensive reply to this
issue right now, but...

	If someone took away my Anais Nin erotica on the grounds
that it is degrading to women, I'd be pissed!

	(on the other hand, I would like to know what percentage
of females read/look at porn and other sexualy explicit materials;;
nearly all the men I know do (or have at some time) but not so
many of the women...and I agree with the person who finds romance
novels just as offensive (or moreso) as non-violent porn.

more to follow,

Ann
...tektronix!reed!thoma

"...she is your friend, until the ocean's end..."

hankb@tekla.UUCP (Hank Buurman) (09/20/85)

In article <1914@reed.UUCP> thoma@reed.UUCP (Ann Muir Thomas) writes:

>	I don't have time to post a comprehensive reply to this
>issue right now, but...
>
>	If someone took away my Anais Nin erotica on the grounds
>that it is degrading to women, I'd be pissed!
>
>	(on the other hand, I would like to know what percentage
>of females read/look at porn and other sexualy explicit materials;;
>nearly all the men I know do (or have at some time) but not so
>many of the women...and I agree with the person who finds romance
>novels just as offensive (or moreso) as non-violent porn.

In answer to your query, BOTH I and my Lady enjoy soft porn to a
great degree, Anais Nin's "Delta of Venus" especially. We'd be
pissed too.

             Hank    dadla!hankb

purtell@reed.UUCP (Lady Godiva) (09/21/85)

In article <1914@reed.UUCP> thoma@reed.UUCP (Ann Muir Thomas) writes:

>	I don't have time to post a comprehensive reply to this
>issue right now, but...
>
>	If someone took away my Anais Nin erotica on the grounds
>that it is degrading to women, I'd be pissed!
>
>	(on the other hand, I would like to know what percentage
>of females read/look at porn and other sexualy explicit materials;;
>nearly all the men I know do (or have at some time) but not so
>many of the women...and I agree with the person who finds romance
>novels just as offensive (or moreso) as non-violent porn.

	Well, I've never seen a pornographic movie, but I've certainly seen
porn magazines. And I've read and written (for my own, or a special male
friend's, enjoyment) erotica. The only porn that I find really offensive
is child pornography and extremely violent porn. But most of the
mainline stuff doesn't bother me at all. Some of it is quite
entertaining. The forum section of Penthouse is always good for a few
laughs. In fact, I'm much more apt to buy the magazine "Forum" (an
off-shoot of Penthouse which is entirely composed of reader mail) than
the magazine itself since I really don't like most of the photography in
Penthouse. I've seen some Playgirls, but frankly, I'm much more likely
to pick up a Playboy. I find Playboy to be a well put together magazine.
It interests me much more than Playgirl, even though I'm not gay or
bisexual.
	I am definitely against censoring pornography. Partly because I do
believe in free speech, but also because I just don't agree that all
porn degrades women.

	cheers -

	elizabeth g. purtell

	(Lady Godiva)

reddy@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (09/22/85)

/* Written  5:13 pm  Sep 18, 1985 by thoma@reed.UUCP in uiucdcs:net.women */
/* ---------- "porn etc." ---------- */

	I don't have time to post a comprehensive reply to this
issue right now, but...

	If someone took away my Anais Nin erotica on the grounds
that it is degrading to women, I'd be pissed!

	(on the other hand, I would like to know what percentage
of females read/look at porn and other sexualy explicit materials;;
nearly all the men I know do (or have at some time) but not so
many of the women...and I agree with the person who finds romance
novels just as offensive (or moreso) as non-violent porn.

more to follow,

Ann
...tektronix!reed!thoma

"...she is your friend, until the ocean's end..."
/* End of text from uiucdcs:net.women */

dnc@dartvax.UUCP (David Crespo) (10/01/85)

> 	I don't have time to post a comprehensive reply to this
> issue right now, but...
>
> 	If someone took away my Anais Nin erotica on the grounds
> that it is degrading to women, I'd be pissed!
>
> 	(on the other hand, I would like to know what percentage
> of females read/look at porn and other sexualy explicit materials;;
> nearly all the men I know do (or have at some time) but not so
> many of the women...and I agree with the person who finds romance
> novels just as offensive (or moreso) as non-violent porn.
>

> more to follow,
>
> Ann
> ...tektronix!reed!thoma
>

> "...she is your friend, until the ocean's end..."

get pissed