[net.women] Effects of anti-biotics on IUD effectiveness

hunter@oakhill.UUCP (Hunter Scales) (09/26/85)

Someone in net.abortion said that she became pregnant because
anti-biotics interferred with her IUD.
This is news to me.  Serious news. Is it true?  Where can I get
more info on this.

Thx and a tip of the hat
--
Motorola Semiconductor Inc.                Hunter Scales
Austin, Texas           {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax,gatech}!ut-sally!oakhill!hunter

(I am responsible for me and my dog and no-one else)

wjr@x.UUCP (Bill Richard) (10/04/85)

<>

Note:  This is STella Calvert (aka mrswjr), a guest on ...decvax!frog!wjr.

In article <542@oakhill.UUCP> hunter@oakhill.UUCP (Hunter Scales) writes:
>Someone in net.abortion said that she became pregnant because
>anti-biotics interferred with her IUD.
>This is news to me.  Serious news. Is it true?  Where can I get
>more info on this.
>
>                Hunter Scales

Yeah, it was me.  After a year or so of happy IUD-inspired infertility I
acquired a kidney infection and was put on antibiotics (ampicillin,
I think).  About a month later, I knew I was pregnant.  When I asked,
the doctor at Planned Parenthood said he was beginning to think there was a
connection.  Seems reasonable to me, in that the IUD prevents implantation by
stimulating a low-grade inflammation.  I would suspect that sterilizing the
environment would increase the chance of implantation.  BTW, I still use the
IUD, but if I'm on antibiotics, I use additional protection or careful timing.
No recent embarrassing side effects.

I seem to remember seeing some article on this within the last few years, but
I can't remember where.  Sorry.

				STella Calvert
				(guest on ...!decvax!frog!wjr)

		Every man and every woman is a star.