[net.women] Church and State: The Senate and \"Satanism\"

fox@nimbus.DEC (Roberta L. Fox DTN 297-2110) (10/08/85)

Sue Brezden writes:

> I am pissed!!!  Did anyone notice the disgusting act that passed
> the Senate yesterday?
>
>   "(UPI) The Senate, with nary a wisp of protest, voted Thursday
>    to crack down on the worshipers of Satan, and the
>    practioners (sic) of witchcraft...the Senate approved
>    legislation denying tax exemptions to any cult promoting
>    Satanism or witchcraft."--Rocky Mountain News

This legislation applies not just to "Satanists" (visions of
Charles Manson, et al.), but practitioners and believers (mostly
women) in Wicca, and revivals of the Old Religion, which,
contrary to some Christian trains of thought, are not
satan-worship.

You might want to know that this legislation was added as a rider
to bill passed by the Senate that is in the house conference committee
now, as Amendment 705 to H.R. 3036.  To find out when the
committee is working on the bill, and what its status is, call
(202) 225-5834.

Me, I'm calling Rep. Silvio Conti, the only Mass. representative
on the committee, at (202) 225-5335, as soon as his office opens.
I also plan to call the local offices of Senators Kennedy and
Kerry to find out whether this amendment passed unanimously, as I
have heard, and, if so, why.

	Bobbi

	UUCP: ...decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-nimbus!fox
	ARPA/CSNET: fox%nimbus.dec@DECWRL

Disclaimer:  The usual disclaimers apply.  I came in early to
post this on my own time.