[net.women] Name Changes disappearing in flames

wjr@x.UUCP (Bill Richard) (10/10/85)

Note:  This is STella Calvert, aka mrswjr, a guest on this account.

In article <12130@rochester.UUCP> ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) writes:
>Many marriage counselors today feel that marriages are not working because of
>the 'ME' attitude instead of the 'WE' attitude.  The 'ME' attitude is a
>symtom of this new age we have entered, you know, this period of personal
>enlightenment of rediscovering one's self.  The 'WE' attitude is more the
>tradionalists thinking from another age commonly refered to as the past.
>
>I've heard these counselors also mention that committment, which is a key word
>in a marriage, is very difficult to achieve by people who are more into
>their own desires and self-serving interests than people who are not.
>In any case, I'm no expert, only someone who recognizes that the divorce rate
>compared to another age is way outa sight and I happen to agree with some of
>the experts who think they know why.
>    regards
>         ray

When Bill and I were married, we stood in front of a few friends, and on the
basis of five years cohabiting experience in following our individual
desires jointly, recognized that we were an effective team.  I know our
commitment is strong, because it is based on love under will.  Do what thou
will _shall_ be the whole of the law, and because we are united in our
dedication to our individual wills, and in agreement on our partnership, if
the life-extension revolution comes through, we will celebrate a hundredth
anniversary.  (I believe it's gold for 50th, diamonds for 75th, and shuttle
tickets for 100th, right?)

I could not consider marrying someone who wasn't firmly convinced of their
value as a person and their right to be selfish.  Given that, if we both felt
that partnering was to our "joint and several" advantage, well -- I use my
birth name to avoid dropping professional contacts, but I smile every time I
think of myself as mrswjr.

And that kind of commitment isn't hard at all, once you quit hiding your
individuality under a bushel.  But I could never trust someone who claims that
commitment means giving up "ME" for the sake of "WE".  A person I perceive as
honest will admit "me" motivations so that both of us can fit them into our
goals.  (I don't want to accuse any parties to this debate of dishonesty, but
if a person won't tell me where their interest lies, how can I possibly
provide the help and love they _want_.  All I know is what they claim to want.
And anyone who claims to be 100% altruistic is, I hope, a liar.  After all,
honesty can be learned while mental illness is a much harder nut to crack.)

				STella Calvert
				(guest on ...!decvax!frog!wjr)

		Every man and every woman is a star.