[net.women] Name Changes

avi@pegasus.UUCP (Avi E. Gross) (01/01/70)

Many years ago, when I stepped in front of a judge to become a citizen of
the US, I asked him to change my first name to Avi. There was no charge. He
just issued my papers with the new name. Interestingly enough, that piece of
paper is the only legal piece of identification I have (other than things
like passports that were issued when I used my citizenship papers for ID).
There does not exist any piece of paper that says that "Emeric Gross"
changed his name to "Avi Emeric Gross"!

When my parents left Romania, they were not allowed to take extraneous
papers with them -- minor things like marriage licenses or birth certificates.
I was listed as a write-in on my fathers passport consisting of my name and
birth-date. This was traded in for a "green-card" a year later when we
arrived here. I actually changed my name "by usage" in school. Every year I
crossed out "Emeric" and replaced it with "Avi" on my report card. Starting
in the sixth grade, the school silently capitulated in this passive battle
and started using Avi.

If my daughter ever wants to change her name when she is older, I would be
willing to help her. Why should we be stuck with names chosen for us? I
don't identify with my Romanian name since I was never called by that name
anyway. It was given to me because the law mandated giving such names in
another country. Of course, if I had to choose a name again today, I would
probably choose a more "American" name than Avi :-)
--
-=> Avi E. Gross @ AT&T Information Systems Laboratories (201) 576-6241
UUCP: suggested paths: [ihnp4, allegra, cbosg, ahuta, ...]!pegasus!avi

gadfly@ihuxn.UUCP (Gadfly) (01/01/70)

--
[Some guy]
> > I choose to ride the train of values and tradition because I can
> > at least have some perspective about it's destination, if you want,
> > you have the choice of riding an untested, untried vehicle going
> > only to God knows where.

[Cheryl Stewart]
>     Scaredy-cat, scaredy-cat!  Better to live a life millions have
>     already lived, rather than your own, huh?  DARE to be boring!!!

I *love* it!  Author, author!  (Authoress?)  As Cheryl obviously knows,
you really can't say you've lived unless the only explanation you have
for at least one thing you've done is, "It seemed like a good idea at
the time."
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****

joj@rruxa.UUCP (J Jasutis) (08/17/85)

I am getting married soon.  From what I have read, I understand
I can legally choose to keep my name or change it, as long as I
do so consistently.  Ideally I would like to change my name for
personal use (the idea of everyone in my new family having the
same name appeals to me), but keep my name (&reputation) at work.
At a later time when I changed jobs and my old name didn't mean
anything to anyone I would use my new name everywhere.

In some professions (e.g., acting) people have "professional" and
private names.  Is there any way I could do that?  My main concern
is my paycheck (could I cash it if it were in my maiden name)
and my IRS records.

mfs@mhuxr.UUCP (SIMON) (08/19/85)

> I am getting married soon.  From what I have read, I understand
> I can legally choose to keep my name or change it, as long as I
> do so consistently.  Ideally I would like to change my name for
> personal use (the idea of everyone in my new family having the
> same name appeals to me), but keep my name (&reputation) at work.
> At a later time when I changed jobs and my old name didn't mean
> anything to anyone I would use my new name everywhere.
>
> In some professions (e.g., acting) people have "professional" and
> private names.  Is there any way I could do that?  My main concern
> is my paycheck (could I cash it if it were in my maiden name)
> and my IRS records.

So long as there is one Social Security Number referring to you, there is
no legal problem with having two names, or twenty five, with two
exceptions: your tax returns should all be in the same name. If you and your
husband file together, you will unfortunately be known to local and national
tax authorities as "Doe, John F and Jane Q.", where Q is either your middle
initial or the initial of your maiden name.

The second exception is the voter registration rolls. Voting authorities
(at least those of Hudson COunty, NJ) are incapable of dealing with
hyphenated names, so you may have to pick one or the other.

Hyphenation may well be the best option, so banks and the like won't hassle
you if checks are in one name and the account in another. Good luck.

Marcel Simon

rosa@petsd.UUCP (Rosamaria Carbonell) (08/20/85)

------
>> exceptions: your tax returns should all be in the same name. If you and your
>> husband file together, you will unfortunately be known to local and national
>> tax authorities as "Doe, John F and Jane Q.", where Q is either your middle
>> initial or the initial of your maiden name.

The IRS will only mess up your name if you fail to read the instructions
that come with the 1040 forms.  They explicitly state if a couple is filing
a joint return and they have different last names to fill them in
as "Name1 Q. Doe and Name2 Z. Smith".  I did so this year and received a
check made out to both names.  New Jersey can also deal with the situation.

				R. Carbonell
				(201) 758-7285
				Perkin-Elmer Corporation
				Tinton Falls, NJ
				...!vax135!petsd!rosa

spp@ucbvax.ARPA (Stephen P Pope) (08/22/85)

    My wife changed her name when we got married.  After filing
a tax return under her new name, the IRS sent her a letter
advising her to tell Social Security about her new name.  Other
than that, no action is required, at least in California.

steve pope (ucbvax!spp)

bd@peora.UUCP (Bernie Dougan) (08/22/85)

Note that the Social Security Administration will not just
accept your word that your name has changed, for example, by
getting married.  The SSA will send you a form that you must
complete and send to them with an original marriage certificate,
not a copy.  The SSA returns the certificate in about 2 weeks.
--
     Bernie Dougan
     Perkin-Elmer Southern Development Center

ed@mtxinu.UUCP (Ed Gould) (08/23/85)

In article <10060@ucbvax.ARPA> spp@ucbvax.ARPA (Stephen P Pope) writes:

>    My wife changed her name when we got married.  After filing
>a tax return under her new name, the IRS sent her a letter
>advising her to tell Social Security about her new name.  Other
>than that, no action is required, at least in California.

In California, it's legal to use *any* name you choose, so long as
it's not to defraud anyone.  This is *not* true in all states.
The Feds, however, don't accept anything but a birth certificate,
court order, or marriage certificate when verifying names for
passport applications.  I don't know when else they're that picky.

--
Ed Gould                    mt Xinu, 2910 Seventh St., Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed   +1 415 644 0146

"A man of quality is not threatened by a woman of equality."

chabot@miles.DEC (All God's chillun got guns) (08/24/85)

I'm pretty sure you can use whatever name you like, legally, without even being
consistent, as long as you're not using different names with the intention to
commit fraud thereby.

Some people I know didn't bother changing their names at work because of the
record keeping there.  If you sign your paycheck with the name it's made out
to, then you can deposit it (automatic deposit of paychecks is easier, of
course!).  The IRS knows your social security number (and you don't get another
one of those--that probably would be fraud), so that should be fine.  Using
the one name relatively consistently in regards to paycheck or the IRS is
probably a good idea just for your own convenience (and anyway, if you go in
changing your name every week :-), they may think you're a flake)(might be fun,
though).

Probably be a good idea for both of you to tell friends and relatives what both
you want to be called, just so they know.  Some people don't assume you'll
change names, or what the appropriate nicknames for the new family member might
be.

L S Chabot   ...decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-amber!chabot   chabot%amber.dec@decwrl.arpa

stevev@tekchips.UUCP (Steve Vegdahl) (08/26/85)

> Note that the Social Security Administration will not just
> accept your word that your name has changed, for example, by
> getting married.  The SSA will send you a form that you must
> complete and send to them with an original marriage certificate,
> not a copy.  The SSA returns the certificate in about 2 weeks.

When we got married, my wife notified SS that she was changing her
name, and they told her the same thing: they needed the original
marriage license.  Her reaction was, I'M NOT TRUSTING THOSE BOZOS
WITH MY MARRIAGE LICENSE!  (Not to mention the USPS.)  Instead, she
went to the nearest SS office and physically applied for the name
change.
		Steve Vegdahl
		Computer Research Lab.
		Tektronix, Inc.
		Beaverton, Oregon

johnl@ima.UUCP (08/26/85)

When my wife and I got married seven years ago, it never seriously occurred to
us that either would change his or her name.  Other than a little unexpected
razzing from her mother, it's never been a problem.  We've lived in
Connecticut and Massachusetts, bought a house, dealt with banks, used credit
cards, etc., without any particular bureaucratic trouble.  The government
seems not to care what you call yourself so long as you pay your taxes.
(Actually, Hawaii used to consider a woman's name to be changed when she
married and she had to go into court to change it back as though she were
changing it to something entirely different.)

It was kind of an eye-opener when somebody would call on the phone looking
for my wife, and say "oh, you must be Mr. Spitzer" (her name.)  After a
while I didn't even bother trying to correct them.  And you get the most
interestingly addressed mail from people trying to be tactful -- my favorite
was one addressed to Mr. and Ms. Lydia Spitzer.  As has been noted elsewhere,
you also instantly know when to hang up on somebody who calls about the
swell prize that Mrs. Levine (my name) has just won.

My sister got married last fall and planned to keep her own name for business
and use her husband's name socially.  She has no legal trouble, but has great
confusion deciding when to use which name.  I get the impression that she may
well end up keeping her own name everywhere.

As far as children go, if you want to name the kid after George Washington,
why not name him George Washington?  (Or, more plausibly, name him after
his maternal great-grandfather whose name was not that of either of the
spouses.)  This might confuse elementary schools, but I figure that's their
problem.  My opinion on this may moderate when actually presented with a
descendant, of course.

But anyway, the point of this ramble is that if you don't want to be known
by your spouse's name all the time, you should consider keeping your own
name everywhere.

John Levine, ima!johnl (spouse of Lydia Spitzer, sometimes ima!lydia)

moiram@tektronix.UUCP (Moira Mallison ) (08/26/85)

In article <1515@peora.UUCP> bd@peora.UUCP (Bernie Dougan) writes:
>Note that the Social Security Administration will not just
>accept your word that your name has changed, for example, by
>getting married.  The SSA will send you a form that you must
>complete and send to them with an original marriage certificate,
>not a copy.  The SSA returns the certificate in about 2 weeks.

I changed my name "by common usage" about ten years ago.  Meaning
that I have no official document stating that I paid $ to a court
to do it; I simply starting using "Moira Mallison" exclusively.
I had no particular problems with SSA.  I think all that was required
was a notarized document that I didn't intend fraud, and that I
was going to use the new name exclusively.

Moira (don't you wonder what it was before?) Mallison
tektronix!moiram

ethan@utastro.UUCP (Ethan Vishniac) (08/27/85)

[]
   When my wife and I got married we were young and foolish.
She felt ambivalent about name changing and decided to hyphenate.
In my usual helpful manner I told her to do what she wanted, but
I was keeping my name.  Now that I'm older and foolish I have
some recommendations.

   1) *DON'T* hyphenate.  My wife quickly found that she was
      "Busch" "Busch-Vishniac" and "Vishniac" on a bewildering
      variety of records.  It was about 2 years before it all
      got straightened out.  I think MIT continued to think
      there were two of her for about a year after she arrived.

   2) If you are in a profession where you publish, don't change
      your name at all.  If you get divorced (very common after all)
      you will either confuse your colleagues or spend the rest of
      your life using your despised ex-spouse's name.

I have a modest proposal.  Why don't we all use a combination of
matrilineal and patrilineal names?  For example, I would be

     Ethan Vishniac-Simpson

and my wife would be

     Ilene Rudnick-Busch

and our (hypothetical) children would be

     Isaac Vishniac-Rudnick

and
     Anne Rudnick-Vishniac

What could be simpler? (and still be nonsexist).  Volunteers?
--
"Support the revolution        Ethan Vishniac
 in Latin America...           {charm,ut-sally,ut-ngp,noao}!utastro!ethan

spp@ucbvax.ARPA (Stephen P Pope) (08/27/85)

     Actually, the passport office didn't want a copy of
the marriage certificate when my wife and I went in there
to apply.  They only needed birth certificates (obviously,
my wife's has her maiden name on it) and took our word
for it that we were married and had the same last name.
This probably only works if you go in together.
     Through procrastination we have yet to inform Social
Security of the fact that my wife changed her name, so
I don't know what they require.

steve pope (spp@berkeley) (..ucbvax!spp)

inc@fluke.UUCP (Gary Benson) (08/28/85)

*** OK, HERE GOES! READY? ***

> I changed my name "by common usage" about ten years ago.  Meaning
> that I have no official document stating that I paid $ to a court
> to do it; I simply starting using "Moira Mallison" exclusively.
> I had no particular problems with SSA.  I think all that was required
> was a notarized document that I didn't intend fraud, and that I
> was going to use the new name exclusively.
>
> Moira (don't you wonder what it was before?) Mallison

I changed my name by the legal route, and it involved paying absolutely NO $
to a court. I filed my intent with the court, which then gave me a list of
guidelines and suggested people to tell. It's really for your own
convenience - I didn't even have to pay court costs, because the judge just
signed the decree in his chambers. The only requirement was a want-ad running
once/week for three consecutive weeks stating the intention. Most of the
guidelines were in the way of a checklist reminding me who to tell...SS of
course was on top, but also the State Department for passport, Motor
Vehicle Department, debtors, creditors, and employer. Some wanted copies of
the decree, so I sent photocopies. I imagine the whole affair wound up
costing me 15 bucks for the legal forms, want ad and photocopies.

I wanted to correct the impression that you left your readers with that a
name change might involve some high-buck court costs or something...

--
 Gary Benson  *  John Fluke Mfg. Co.  *  PO Box C9090  *  Everett WA  *  98206
   MS/232-E  = =   {allegra} {uw-beaver} !fluke!inc   = =   (206)356-5367

charli@cylixd.UUCP (Charli Phillips) (08/29/85)

Just out of curiosity:

I took my husband's last name when I married five years ago.  I went
down to the Social Security office to change my name.  They were
taking a holiday.  After two more unsuccessful trips, I called to see
if they would mail me the forms.  They wouldn't.  Said I could come by
and pick the form up and mail it in.  (Lots of help, huh.)  Then I found
out that, if I did mail the form, I would have to send my REAL marriage
license with it, not a copy.  Do you think I trusted them with it?  NO!

So I decided not to bother.  I figured they post by account number, not
name anyway.  The only time it's come up since then is that, when my
husband and I filed our first joint tax return, the IRS sent us a letter
saying the name on the form didn't match the name on my Social Security
account and asking me to verify that my name and the number were both
correct.  I did so.

Is there any real need to hassle with Social Security over my name?  If
so, what is it?

		charli

whitehur@tymix.UUCP (Pamela K. Whitehurst) (08/29/85)

In article <100100001@ima.UUCP> johnl@ima.UUCP writes:

>As far as children go, if you want to name the kid after George Washington,
>why not name him George Washington?  (Or, more plausibly, name him after
>his maternal great-grandfather whose name was not that of either of the
>spouses.)  This might confuse elementary schools, but I figure that's their
>problem.  My opinion on this may moderate when actually presented with a
>descendant, of course.

What with second marriages and all, the schools have a lot of experience
dealing with kids whose name does not match their parents.  Our school
system sends mail "To the Parents of ...".

I think the most confusion would be with the people who visit the new
mother at the hospital to register the birth ... and the most
disappointment from the grandparents.

--

           PKW
hplabs!oliveb!tymix!whitehur

moiram@tektronix.UUCP (Moira Mallison ) (08/29/85)

>> Moira Mallison
>> I changed my name "by common usage" about ten years ago.  Meaning
>> that I have no official document stating that I paid $ to a court
>> to do it;

> Gary Benson
>I changed my name by the legal route, and it involved paying absolutely NO $
>to a court...
>I wanted to correct the impression that you left your readers with that a
>name change might involve some high-buck court costs or something...

This is a matter of state law.  In California (where I lived at the time),
it is considered legal to change one's name by common usage.  In some
states, it is not.

I checked into what it would take to get a "legal document" here in Oregon
when I was decided I wanted a passport.  It is about $50, payable to some
court or other.  Not a *high* legal cost, I agree.

Moira Mallison
tektronix!moiram

smb@ulysses.UUCP (Steven Bellovin) (08/30/85)

> I changed my name "by common usage" about ten years ago.  Meaning
> that I have no official document stating that I paid $ to a court
> to do it; I simply starting using "Moira Mallison" exclusively.
> I had no particular problems with SSA.  I think all that was required
> was a notarized document that I didn't intend fraud, and that I
> was going to use the new name exclusively.

This doesn't always work.  Several years ago, a friend of mine decided to
regain her original name -- at the time she was married (1968), retaining
one's name was unheard of.  The laws of North Carolina allowed one to change
one's name either by court order, or by the common law procedure of simply
using the new name.  Since the formal mechanism could, by statute, only be
used once in a lifetime, and since there seemed to be little advantage to
it, she elected to use the other procedure.  She had no problem except with
the driver's license folks; she waited six months and asked again, and they
changed their records with no further questions.

About two years later, she moved to conservative area of Virginia (Lynchburg,
I believe), and tried to register to vote.  The dialog went something like
this:

	Q: Are you married?
	A: Yes.
	Q: Is that your husband's last name?
	A: No.
	Q: Do you have a court order?
	A: No.
	Q: Then we can't allow you to register.

The local D.A., apart from intimating that she must be an immoral commie,
threatened to prosecute her for attempted election fraud.  My friend im-
mediately contacted an ACLU attorney; he advised her that while there was
no danger of criminal prosecution (and indeed no charges were ever filed),
she would be unlikely to win a suit against the election board.  After all,
they were not denying her the right to use the name of her choice, merely
insisting that the proper paperwork be used.  So she gave in and asked the
attorney to file the necessary papers for her.  What makes this case especially
unusual, though, is that it's really a case of Virginia not honoring the laws
of North Carolina -- my friend had legally changed her name in accordance
with the laws of the state where she resided at the time.

linda@amdcad.UUCP (Linda Seltzer) (08/31/85)

Why not choose whichever name sounds better?  Think of all the
children who wouldn't have to go through school with names like
Fink.

yoddy@elsie.UUCP (yoddy) (08/31/85)

    I kept my own name when I got married.  I offered to either change
    names or hyphenate if (and only if) my husband would do the same.  He
    wouldn't so I didn't.

    We've had very few hassles from outside the families.  We do get
    twice as much junk mail and twice as many phone salespeople as
    a normal couple but that doesn't bother us.  AMOCO wouldn't issue
    a card in my name---the card says Kenneth Brown on the front.  I
    would find that offensive even if I'd had changed my last name.

    The only people that have had a hard time dealing with the whole
    thing are the families.  Ken's greatgrandmother refuses to deal with
    it at all.  She addresses mail to Mr. and Mrs. Ken Brown.  My
    grandmother is slowly comming around (after 3 years).  They're
    both in their 90's so I figure they've earned the right to call
    me anything they want.  The rest of the family eventually adjusted.
    It took my mom the longest--for the first 2 years of my marriage
    she addressed everything to Ken Brown and Yoddy.

    When my son was born everyone breathed a sigh of relief when
    I told them we were hyphenating the baby's last name.  I honestly
    think Ken's parents were afraid I'd insist on naming the baby
    Christopher Schwartz.  So my son is Schwartz-Brown, maybe we'll
    name the next one Brown-Schwartz just to keep the families on
    their toes.

                                     yoddy

                    ...!decvax!allegra!umcp-cs!elsie!yoddy

ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) (08/31/85)

>     I kept my own name when I got married.  I offered to either change
>     names or hyphenate if (and only if) my husband would do the same.  He
>     wouldn't so I didn't.

You have a 50 50 chance of winding up divorced.  Those are the statistics, like
it or not.  There are many reasons for failing marriages, why do you bother to
create a problem out of a last name.  There will be many many problems that crop
up without your help.  Serious, real, life threatening, marriage threatening,
problems.  Was life so problem free that you took a trivial issue and created a
problem out of it at the beginning of your marriage so you could have something
to debate about for years to come?  Good luck sister, you'll need it.

jcp@osiris.UUCP (Jody Patilla) (09/01/85)

>     We've had very few hassles from outside the families.  We do get
>     twice as much junk mail and twice as many phone salespeople as
>     a normal couple but that doesn't bother us.  AMOCO wouldn't issue
>     a card in my name---the card says Kenneth Brown on the front.  I
>     would find that offensive even if I'd had changed my last name.

	This sort of assholery on the part of credit-card issuers has
been illegal for ten years. Sue the bastards.
--
jcpatilla

"The bland leadeth the bland and they both shall fall into the kitsch."

jcp@osiris.UUCP (Jody Patilla) (09/01/85)

> >     I kept my own name when I got married.  I offered to either change
> >     names or hyphenate if (and only if) my husband would do the same.  He
> >     wouldn't so I didn't.
> >
> You have a 50 50 chance of winding up divorced. Those are the statistics, like
> it or not. There are many reasons for failing marriages, why do you bother to
> create a problem out of a last name.There will be many many problems that crop
> up without your help.  Serious, real, life threatening, marriage threatening,
> problems. Was life so problem free that you took a trivial issue and created a
> problem out of it at the beginning of your marriage so you could have something
> to debate about for years to come?  Good luck sister, you'll need it.

	Changing one's identity, presumably for life, is *NOT* a trivial
issue. If it were, why aren't men changing *their* names upon marriage ?
The wife's name-change is a relic of times when women were chattel,
property, and if that's how you look at your wife, then you're the one who
has some problems. Personally, I would not want to marry a man who would not
agree to my keeping my name.
--

see1@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (E.K. Seebacher) (09/02/85)

>> I changed my name "by common usage" about ten years ago. ...
>>
>> Moira (don't you wonder what it was before?) Mallison
>
>I changed my name by the legal route, and it involved paying absolutely NO $
>to a court. I filed my intent with the court, which then gave me a list of
>guidelines and suggested people to tell. ...
>       - I didn't even have to pay court costs, because the judge just
>signed the decree in his chambers. The only requirement was a want-ad running
>once/week for three consecutive weeks stating the intention.
>                              ...  I imagine the whole affair wound up
>costing me 15 bucks for the legal forms, want ad and photocopies.
>
> Gary Benson

Gasp.  Choke.  I paid this county almost $190 when I changed my name last
year, and I made damn sure that several sources said it was REQUIRED first
(you know how long it takes to save that much as an undergrad on financial
aid?).  Fifty bucks of that went for the want ads, which I believe had to
run for six weeks, and which they explained must be run in something called
_the_Law_Bulletin_.  The rest was for court costs, and I had the judge sign
the decree in his chambers, too.  Is this just typical Chicago graft???!
Some of the sources I checked with were consumer-legal-help type groups.

As I told Moira in my reply to her original posting, though, I haven't re-
gretted going the legal route (although I'm still sitting here fuming over
the cost), just because I needed those documents in hand when preparing for
battle with:

  - the GSL people;
  - the University of Chicago (they were the worst, and it wasn't even
       my last name that got changed!);
  - the Illinois State Scholarship Commission;
  - the Department of Motor Vehicles (which wants an ORIGINAL birth
       certificate -- that one took several months to obtain);
  - the SSA.

That's another thing.  The county clerk advised me to get three or four
"originals" of the decree, so I could send them off to various agencies
(at two dollars apiece, naturally).  Every place I mailed a decree to
sent it back safely.  I guess I was just lucky.

(Anyone want to comment on Cook County "requirements"?  I've always been
 addicted to local politics, but the thought of somebody's brother having
 a night out on me .... grrrrrrrrrrrr....)

--
 Ellen Keyne Seebacher
 ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!see1

ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) (09/02/85)

> 	Changing one's identity, presumably for life, is *NOT* a trivial
> issue. If it were, why aren't men changing *their* names upon marriage ?
> The wife's name-change is a relic of times when women were chattel,
> property, and if that's how you look at your wife, then you're the one who
> has some problems. Personally, I would not want to marry a man who would not
> agree to my keeping my name.
> --
> jcpatilla
>
> "The bland leadeth the bland and they both shall fall into the kitsch."

Why doesn't the preacher say "and now the bride may kiss the groom?
Why is there no flower boy following the groom?
Why is there no shower for the man, instead of a party that wrecks his brain for
weeks?

Because this is simply the way things have evolved.  To make more out of simple
tradition than exists is just looking for trouble where there isn't any until
you play magician and create it out of thin air.

If one so desired, one could easily make an issue out of a million and one
pratices that have evovled into traditions down through the ages.

I don't blame you for not wanting to marry a man who would treat you as prop-
erty.  Who would want to?  But why are you suggesting that changing names means
the same today as it did long ago?  Who told you that or did you surmise this
yourself?  You are going to get married presumedly because you love and or
respect each other. If this, the very foundation with which to build a life on, is shattered simply by changing one's name, than I seriously have to doubt the
sincerity of your reasons for wanting to get married.

If you fear losing your identity because of a name change, then you most likely
have a shaky self image to begin with.  The ones who stand a chance to lose
their identity are the children and their children and so on.  What if a girl's
name is Linda Sadowsky-Tannenberg?  She marries John Pollichicho-Murphy. Their
daughter becomes Lucy Pollichicho-Murphy-Sadowsky-Tannenberg.  And so on.

If you really feel that you will lose your identity for life, don't be too con-
cerned, 1 out of 2 marriages are currently failing within seven years.  If this
misfortune befalls you, you can then reclaim your old identity.  By the way, on
second marriages, the statistics are even worse.  It is almost as though you
make it the first time around or you usually don't make it.  Saying 'losing
your identity for life' is a bit optimistic if not unrealistic in light of the
current statistics.

peckham@cornell.UUCP (Stephen Peckham) (09/03/85)

> 	Changing one's identity, presumably for life, is *NOT* a trivial
> issue. If it were, why aren't men changing *their* names upon marriage ?

Changing one's name is not changing one's identity.  Peoples' identities
may change when they get married, but that happens to men as well as to
women and has nothing to do to with names.  (It also happens when people have
children.)  There are reasons for women to keep their names when they get
married, but maintaining their identities is not one of them.

	Steve Peckham

jeffw@tekecs.UUCP (Jeff Winslow) (09/03/85)

> >     I kept my own name when I got married.  I offered to either change
> >     names or hyphenate if (and only if) my husband would do the same.  He
> >     wouldn't so I didn't.
> >
> You have a 50 50 chance of winding up divorced.  Those are the statistics, like
> it or not.  There are many reasons for failing marriages, why do you bother to
> create a problem out of a last name.  There will be many many problems that crop
> up without your help.  Serious, real, life threatening, marriage threatening,
> problems.  Was life so problem free that you took a trivial issue and created a
> problem out of it at the beginning of your marriage so you could have something
> to debate about for years to come?  Good luck sister, you'll need it.

Can you say, "blame the woman"? I thought the idea was that if one partner
thought there was a problem, there was a problem. How do you figure she
"created" the problem? And what makes you think they will "debate about it
for years to come"? Seems to me like you're jumping to a lot of
conclusions at once. Careful - it's a long way down if you miss.

						Jeff Winslow

joj@rruxa.UUCP (J Jasutis) (09/04/85)

re: If you fear losing your identity because of something like
    changing your name, you must have a shakey self identity to start with.

Many women, like me, work in a large organization.  Most of the people
in upper management who have the power to promote, know me almost exclusively
by my written work.  If next week, I change my name...sure the people I work
with everyday will still know who I am...but those people who no longer see
my "old" name on my written documents will not necessarily associate my "new"
name to me.  Therefore, the reputation I am building almost has to start over.
Yes, I loose my identity (in part) when my name changes, No I don't have any
problem with my self-worth or about who I am.

sophie@mnetor.UUCP (Sophie Quigley) (09/04/85)

In article <11302@rochester.UUCP> ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) writes:

>>     I kept my own name when I got married.  I offered to either change
>>     names or hyphenate if (and only if) my husband would do the same.  He
>>     wouldn't so I didn't.
>>
>You have a 50 50 chance of winding up divorced.  Those are the statistics, like
>it or not.  There are many reasons for failing marriages, why do you bother to
>create a problem out of a last name.  There will be many many problems that crop
>up without your help.  Serious, real, life threatening, marriage threatening,
>problems.  Was life so problem free that you took a trivial issue and created a
>problem out of it at the beginning of your marriage so you could have something
>to debate about for years to come?  Good luck sister, you'll need it.

What arrogance!  if it is such a trivial issue, then why didn't her
husband change his name?  one's name is an imortant part of one's
identity.  If that's not an important issue for you, then good for you,
nobody's asking you to change your name, but it is not up to you to
decide what are important issues for other people.  Also, if I remember
the original posting well, this was not a problem, only YOU perceived
it to be.  I have had similar discussions with my SOs and they all
agreed that they wouldn't like to change their names, so it was only
reasonable that I would feel the same way.  What's wrong with that?
--
Sophie Quigley
{allegra|decvax|ihnp4|linus|watmath}!utzoo!mnetor!sophie

In article <11313@rochester.UUCP> ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) writes:
>> 	Changing one's identity, presumably for life, is *NOT* a trivial
>> issue. If it were, why aren't men changing *their* names upon marriage ?
>> The wife's name-change is a relic of times when women were chattel,
>> property, and if that's how you look at your wife, then you're the one who
>> has some problems. Personally, I would not want to marry a man who would not
>> agree to my keeping my name.
>> --
>> jcpatilla
>
>Why doesn't the preacher say "and now the bride may kiss the groom?
>Why is there no flower boy following the groom?
>Why is there no shower for the man, instead of a party that wrecks his brain for
>weeks?
>
>Because this is simply the way things have evolved.  To make more out of simple
>tradition than exists is just looking for trouble where there isn't any until
>you play magician and create it out of thin air.

Am I the only one being irked by this guy?  Sure, all the things you mentioned
are traditions, but they are traditions for one day and are not very relevant.
Changing one's name is a much more significant step.  It is a symbol that the
woman becomes part of the man.  Apart from that, it is very annoying
practically.  It is much harder to find a long-lost friend if they have
changed their name, and it is just a big hassle changing one's name unless
one really wants to, and if, as you say, most marriages are so short-lived,
then why bother going through all that fuss just to reverse it.  When the
government of Quebec last changed its family law, a few years ago, it changed
the official name of married women from that of their husbands to their maiden
name.  The reason given was that it was too expensive and complicated to keep
track of all the changes.  Before that, they had already tried it out
sucessfully with medicaire records.

>If one so desired, one could easily make an issue out of a million and one
>pratices that have evovled into traditions down through the ages.

Yes, a lot of people do.  Is there something wrong with that?

And the insults flow:

>I don't blame you for not wanting to marry a man who would treat you as prop-
>erty.  Who would want to?  But why are you suggesting that changing names means
>the same today as it did long ago?  Who told you that or did you surmise this
>yourself?  You are going to get married presumedly because you love and or
>respect each other. If this, the very foundation with which to build a life on,
>is shattered simply by changing one's name, than I seriously have to doubt the
>sincerity of your reasons for wanting to get married.
>If you fear losing your identity because of a name change, then you most likely
>have a shaky self image to begin with.

>The ones who stand a chance to lose
>their identity are the children and their children and so on.  What if a girl's
>name is Linda Sadowsky-Tannenberg?  She marries John Pollichicho-Murphy. Their
>daughter becomes Lucy Pollichicho-Murphy-Sadowsky-Tannenberg.  And so on.

So, if it's not such a big problem, then why do you worry about the children
losing their identity?  I also don't see why having a long name is equivalent
to losing one's identity.  I think you forgot your logic on the other side of
the bed this morning, you know, the right one.

>If you really feel that you will lose your identity for life, don't be too con-
>cerned, 1 out of 2 marriages are currently failing within seven years.  If this
>misfortune befalls you, you can then reclaim your old identity.  By the way, on
>second marriages, the statistics are even worse.  It is almost as though you
>make it the first time around or you usually don't make it.  Saying 'losing
>your identity for life' is a bit optimistic if not unrealistic in light of the
>current statistics.

So, then again, why bother?  It's much simpler not to change it.  More
importantly, why should a woman look forward to being divorced to regain
her identity?  why not simply keep it all along?  that might give her less
reasons to desire being divorced...
--

In article <262@cornell.UUCP> peckham@cornell.UUCP (Stephen Peckham) writes:
>> 	Changing one's identity, presumably for life, is *NOT* a trivial
>> issue. If it were, why aren't men changing *their* names upon marriage ?
>
>Changing one's name is not changing one's identity.  Peoples' identities
>may change when they get married, but that happens to men as well as to
>women and has nothing to do to with names.  (It also happens when people have
>children.)  There are reasons for women to keep their names when they get
>married, but maintaining their identities is not one of them.

Speak for yourself, will you!  I think women have the right to decide what
they think are *valid* reasons for keeping their maiden names, just like
men have the right to decide for themselves what they think are valid
reasons for keeping their names.

What is this? the thought patrol or something?
--

whitehur@tymix.UUCP (Pamela K. Whitehurst) (09/04/85)

In article <11313@rochester.UUCP> ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) writes:

>> ... Personally, I would not want to marry a man who would not
>> agree to my keeping my name.
>> --
>> jcpatilla
>
>...  You are going to get married presumedly because you love and or
>respect each other. If this, the very foundation with which to build a life on,>is shattered simply by changing one's name, than I seriously have to doubt the
>sincerity of your reasons for wanting to get married.
>
>If you fear losing your identity because of a name change, then you most likely
>have a shaky self image to begin with....

I would also not marry someone who required me to change my name.  A name
change at 21 may be trivial, but it isn't 15 years into a career.  I have
already looked up an old contact I would not have found without a
hyphenated name. And been asked about the job qualifications of women whose
last names I did not recognize.  A name is how we tell the rest of the
world what we are and what we stand for.  What we are may not change when
we marry, but it sure is a hassle telling the rest of the world that what
we are is now called something else.

Aside from what I feel about my own name, it is the couple's decision.
They are the ones who deal with 'too many characters', and 'too many
hyphens', and their own childrens names, and their parents reactions.

You are right about a couple having problems if they cannot agree on what
their last names will be.  I just don't think it has to be the man's name,
or even the same.

--

gkloker@utai.UUCP (Geoff Loker) (09/05/85)

In article <11313@rochester.UUCP> ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) writes:
>> 	Changing one's identity, presumably for life, is *NOT* a trivial
>> issue. If it were, why aren't men changing *their* names upon marriage ?
>> The wife's name-change is a relic of times when women were chattel,
>> property, and if that's how you look at your wife, then you're the one who
>> has some problems. Personally, I would not want to marry a man who would not
>> agree to my keeping my name.
>> --
>> jcpatilla

 [Some stuff about how much of the traditions surrounding weddings are
  traditions which have evolved over the ages.]

>If one so desired, one could easily make an issue out of a million and one
>pratices that have evovled into traditions down through the ages.

Tradition isn't any sort of excuse for continuing a practice.  If it were,
where would Office Automation be?  (Traditionally, all work was done by
hand.)  Just imagine how little impact new technology would have on society.
After all, before the automobile came, it was traditional to go by horse.
Let's face it -- Tradition is no excuse to oppose change.

>    . . .  You are going to get married presumedly because you love and or
>respect each other. If this, the very foundation with which to build a life on,
>is shattered simply by changing one's name, than I seriously have to doubt the
>sincerity of your reasons for wanting to get married.

Why assume that this is going to shatter the love and respect that they have
for each other?  My wife and I love and respect each other without having
to have the same last name.  I almost think that we love and respect each
other more because of that.

>If you fear losing your identity because of a name change, then you most likely
>have a shaky self image to begin with.

Try this test:  Imagine you are getting married and your spouse expects you
to change your name.  Would you be willing to do that?
It's not such a trivial matter after all, is it?

>       . . .                             The ones who stand a chance to lose
>their identity are the children and their children and so on.  What if a girl's
>name is Linda Sadowsky-Tannenberg?  She marries John Pollichicho-Murphy. Their
>daughter becomes Lucy Pollichicho-Murphy-Sadowsky-Tannenberg.  And so on.

There are algorithms for paring down hyphenated last names, making the
"loss of identity" equal for both the man and the woman.  Also, hyphenated
last names are not the only solution to naming children.  Maybe we should
take a look at other alternatives before crying "Unfair to the children."
--
Geoff Loker
Department of Computer Science

USENET:	{ihnp4 decwrl utzoo uw-beaver}!utcsri!utai!gkloker
CSNET:		gkloker@toronto
ARPANET:	gkloker.toronto@csnet-relay

chabot@miles.DEC (All God's chillun got guns) (09/06/85)

> >     I kept my own name when I got married.  I offered to either change
> >     names or hyphenate if (and only if) my husband would do the same.  He
> >     wouldn't so I didn't.
> >
> You have a 50 50 chance of winding up divorced.  Those are the statistics, like
> it or not.  There are many reasons for failing marriages, why do you bother to
> create a problem out of a last name.  There will be many many problems that crop
> up without your help.  Serious, real, life threatening, marriage threatening,
> problems.  Was life so problem free that you took a trivial issue and created a
< problem out of it at the beginning of your marriage so you could have something
> to debate about for years to come?  Good luck sister, you'll need it.

WHY should SHE be the only one to change her name??  Maybe she likes her name!
What here indicates a fight?

Yeah, wimmin!  Always causing the trouble!  Wanting to compromise!  Thinking
what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander! (last time I checked,
ganders still fit into the category of goose)

With inflexible attitudes like yours, ray, *you*'ve got a good chance at being
involved in a divorce.

L S Chabot   ...decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-amber!chabot

sed408@ihlpg.UUCP (s. dugan) (09/06/85)

> Is there any real need to hassle with Social Security over my name?  If
> so, what is it?
>
> 		charli

It is my understanding that you may hurt your chances of collecting Soc. Sec.
if you don't have the paper-work up to date about your name.

--

Sarah E. Dugan
"Thank God It's Friday."

# AT&T Bell Labs IH 1D-408                The Forest (home)               #
# Naperville-Wheaton Rd.                  1353 Crab Apple Court  Apt. 101 #
# Naperville, Illinois  60566             Naperville, Illinois  60540     #
# (312) 979 - 5545                        (312) 355 - 0445                #

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (09/09/85)

> When we got married, my wife notified SS that she was changing her
> name, and they told her the same thing: they needed the original
> marriage license.  Her reaction was, I'M NOT TRUSTING THOSE BOZOS
> WITH MY MARRIAGE LICENSE!  (Not to mention the USPS.)  Instead, she
> went to the nearest SS office and physically applied for the name
> change.
> 		Steve Vegdahl
> 		Computer Research Lab.
> 		Tektronix, Inc.
> 		Beaverton, Oregon

I agree with your wife. I don't give anybody my original anything.
I'm still waiting for California to return my original birth certificate
from when I applied for my passport. It's only been two years.
Maybe they have been busy huh?

jack@cca.UUCP (Jack Orenstein) (09/10/85)

> > You have a 50 50 chance of winding up divorced.  Those are the
> >statistics, like it or not.

This was in answer to a woman who decided to keep her maiden name.
(That's such a quaint, old-fashioned term. It probably offends a lot of
people out there too.)

It's true, you can use statistics to prove anything. Last I heard, the
divorce rate was 50%. That seems to suggest that if a woman decides to
keep her maiden name she is not taking any chance at all.

Did someone *really* say that? I predict a bright future with the National
Enquirer. I further predict that this will be one of the stories:

MARRIAGE CAN KILL YOU

Baltimore, MD.  Scientists at the National Institute of Health have found
a virtually 100% correlation between marriage and death. Dr. P. Eau de Chien,
aided by his research team, has looked at marriage licenses and death
certificates from City Hall for the past 100 years. Statistics seem to
indicate that the average 21 year old bride can expect only another 50
years of life. A tall price to pay for love.
   We spoke to the newly married Mrs. Clamella Shott (nee Srinivasan) on the
steps of City Hall, mere moments after her marriage. She was surprised at
the results of the study but seemed stoic, "No, I didn't realize it at
all. Only fifty years? ... Yes, we're very much in love, and I would have
married him anyway."
   Dr. Eau de Chien, emphasized that his group has found only a statistical
correlation and that he hopes to establish a cause-and-effect relationship
in the future. He has applied to NIH for a $10 million grant for this
purpose.

             Jack Orenstein

These are, in fact, the opinions of my employers.

adams@tymix.UUCP (Christina E. Adams) (09/10/85)

> In California, it's legal to use *any* name you choose, so long as
> it's not to defraud anyone.  This is *not* true in all states.
> The Feds, however, don't accept anything but a birth certificate,
> court order, or marriage certificate when verifying names for
> passport applications.  I don't know when else they're that picky.
>
> --
> Ed Gould                    mt Xinu, 2910 Seventh St., Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
Ed is right.  Changing your name in California is trivial.  I just went through this when I got married in February I decided to change not only my last name
but my first and middle name also( for reasons not relevant to the point).
The only real hassle was the bank. Though, the FEDS may not be as picky as
you may think.

I had this silly idea that I could order new checks and by the time I got back
from my honeymoon everything would be all done, right? WRONG!  The banks here
want to see documentation of any name change. Or, two pieces of ID in the
name you want to use.  It got pretty confusing.  I thought I was going
to have to go the legal route which would have been around $150 here in
California.  However, I first purchased a book called "How to legally change
your name in California".  As stated before, you can legally use any name
you want, as long as you don't do it for fraudulent purposes.  So the
drivers liscence was easy.  They just asked what name I wanted on my liscence,
and put it on, not changing the number.  They didn't require ANY proof of
name change.  Its amazing, after you get a drivers liscence, you can get
your name changed on ANYTHING.  The book, which cost $9.95, gave many
ways to do this, including the court thing. It also had a form called
"DECLARATION OF LEGAL NAME CHANGE"  which you fill out with your old
name, your new name, birthplace and birthdate.  You sign it and have
it noterized (about $5).  This little piece of paper was (to my surprise)
acceptable to the FEDS.  SSA accepted it, though granted, they wanted to
see the original, and I even used it for my  passport.  Now, the one thing
I don't have is a new birth certificate.  Though, with my name correct now
on my passport and Social Security card and my drivers liscence, I cant
see where I'd have any problems.

I didn't have to put an ad in any paper or even file this piece of
paper with the courts.  I just kept it. And presented it as needed.

jamcmullan@wateng.UUCP (Judy McMullan) (09/11/85)

>Why doesn't the preacher say "and now the bride may kiss the groom?
>Why is there no flower boy following the groom?
>Why is there no shower for the man, instead of a party that wrecks his brain
>for weeks?

You are living in the past.
The preacher does not say that the groom may kiss the bride,
in modern marriages between equals. Neither the bride nor the groom
wants such a thing said.

There are often young boys included in ceremonies (actually they
have been for many years -- as ring-bearers, so their "masculinity" is not
"compromised") and everyone thinks they are just as cute as the little girls.

A lot of "bridal" showers now include both the bride and the groom
and the people invited include men as well as women. I have had and/or attended
several very successful showers over the last few years which were really more
gift-giving followed by a social evening with friends of both sexes.
Lastly, the "stag" for the groom is often being omitted (because he was at the
shower) or replaced by his being taken out to lunch or dinner.

Wake up -- you are living in a changing world.

   --from the sssstickkky keyboard of JAM
   ...!{ihnp4|clyde|decvax}!watmath!jamcmullan

falk@uiucuxc.Uiuc.ARPA (09/11/85)

{}

When my husband and I got married, we took each others name. He added my
name as an extra middle name and I added his name at the end, but continue,
for the most part, to "go by" by pre-married name. I chose NOT to hyphenate
because I thought that looked awkward, but many people (institutions) can't
handle that so they either drop one of the last names, hyphenate them on their
own or make one of my last names my first name! Our daughter bears both of
our names, and can choose the one she wants to use when she is older (she's
only 1 now and doesn't care). Our families had no problem with the concat-
enation, the social security administration, on the other hand, told me that
my name was "too long" (4 letters in my name, 10 letters in my husbands). They,
obviously, wanted me to "give in" and drop my part of the name. I told them
that I was sorry it was too long for them, but that it was my name, nonetheless.When I got my SS card several weeks later, everything fit on it just fine.

Married friends of ours kept their own names and named their daughter with the
wife's last name last and the husband's as a middle name.

I guess my point is that it was important to me to keep my name- after 25yrs. I
really felt it was a part of me; however, I also wanted to add my husband's
name (and he mine) to indicate that we *were* adding a new dimension to our
life in a permanent fashion. As an aside to that, we have credit cards in each
of our names and a random division of utilities, etc., in one or the other
names. However, we have had some people *insist* on using my husband's name
as the "name of record" (e.g., on a recent mortgage application, I filled out
the form listing me as the principal applicant and my husband as the co-
applicant- the bank changed it. We are both employed making roughly the same
amount of money).

The issue of names can be complicated, and may not seem real important to
those who don't normally have to consider the impact of changing their
names in mid-life (i.e., most men).  But reasonable solutions can be worked
out.

Connie J. Falk Milosevich
(aka, uiucdcs!uiucuxc!falk)
.

ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) (09/12/85)

> > > You have a 50 50 chance of winding up divorced.  Those are the
> > >statistics, like it or not.
>
> This was in answer to a woman who decided to keep her maiden name.
> (That's such a quaint, old-fashioned term. It probably offends a lot of
> people out there too.)
>
> It's true, you can use statistics to prove anything. Last I heard, the
> divorce rate was 50%. That seems to suggest that if a woman decides to
> keep her maiden name she is not taking any chance at all.
>
> Did someone *really* say that? I predict a bright future with the National
> Enquirer. I further predict that this will be one of the stories:

Yes, you.  Open mouth, insert foot.

slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) (09/13/85)

It seems to me that name changes are not that big a deal--either
deciding to change, or not to.

But then, I've changed mine twice, and it wasn't traumatic.  The
first time was when I got married in 1967.  Back then, you just
changed your name.  It was asssumed.  Then I found myself divorced
in 1975.  I kept my married name, assuming that it would be easier
to have the same name as my children--for school, etc.  When I
remarried, I had 4 choices:
     1.  Keep my first married name.   Not really an option--I
         personally wanted to forget the first marriage altogether.
     2.  Change back to my maiden name.  This would have made us
         a 3-name family.  Seemed too complex to me.  I know how
         easily people and organizations screw things like that up.
         And I really don't consider myself as part of my parent's
         family anymore.
     3.  Make up a new name.  Could have been fun.  But that still
         makes 3 names in the family.
     4.  Change to my new husband's name.  This at least keeps us
         down to two names in the family.
I did number 4.  My new husband could care less what I call myself.
And I really don't care what others call me.  A name just isn't
that important.  The people I care about call me by my first name,
anyway.

Note that I didn't have a career built on my name.  In that case,
I think I would have made different choices.  All in all, I think
you have to do whatever is most natural for you, and causes the
least problems.

By the way, I would advise NOT changing your name and your address
at the same time.  When I was married the second time, I did not
change my name for several months, since we were planning on moving
later.  I thought "If I have to send out change notices to magazines,
professional societies, credit cards and so forth, why not wait, so
I only do it once?"  Well, I found out why not.  Very few places
did it right.  Some changed the name, some the address, some made
up new, strange values for both of them.  Two separate changes might
have been easier.

I have discovered that schools deal quite well with multiple name
families--there are so many of us.  So perhaps I should have changed
back in '75.  But maybe they didn't do so well back then.

                       Susan Lee Hendrix Spence Brezden
--

                                     Sue Brezden

Real World: Room 1B17                Net World: ihnp4!drutx!slb
            AT&T Information Systems
            11900 North Pecos
            Westminster, Co. 80234
            (303)538-3829

        Your god may be dead, but mine aren't.

hrs@homxb.UUCP (H.SILBIGER) (09/16/85)

Another time you can legally change your name at
no (additional) cost is when you get naturalized.
Of course this only works if you were not born a
US citizen.

When I was naturalized I added a middle name, since I
did not have one.  I chose the name Russell, which
was my son's first name.

I can now claim that I am a father who was named after
his son.

Herman Russell Silbiger ihnp4!homxb!hrs

wjh@bonnie.UUCP (Bill Hery) (09/17/85)

> I agree with your wife. I don't give anybody my original anything.
> I'm still waiting for California to return my original birth certificate
> from when I applied for my passport. It's only been two years.
> Maybe they have been busy huh?

I knew California was bizzare, but I didn't know Californians needed passports
to leave the state.

United States passports are issued by the US State Department, and can be
obtained only through them or US Post Offices.

ed@mtxinu.UUCP (Ed Gould) (09/18/85)

>I'm still waiting for California to return my original birth certificate
>from when I applied for my passport. It's only been two years.

Well, no wonder you haven't gotten it back.  To where did you expect
to travel with a California passport?  Texas? :-)

--

smb@ulysses.UUCP (Steven Bellovin) (09/18/85)

> > I agree with your wife. I don't give anybody my original anything.
> > I'm still waiting for California to return my original birth certificate
> > from when I applied for my passport. It's only been two years.
> > Maybe they have been busy huh?
> >

> I knew California was bizzare, but I didn't know Californians needed passports
> to leave the state.
>
> United States passports are issued by the US State Department, and can be
> obtained only through them or US Post Offices.

Wrong, or at least obsolete.  In at least some areas, local government agencies
can act as agents; I believe they get an extra fee from you.  For example,
in Union County, NJ, the court clerk will accept passsport applications.

ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) (09/19/85)

> >Why doesn't the preacher say "and now the bride may kiss the groom?
> >Why is there no flower boy following the groom?
> >Why is there no shower for the man, instead of a party that wrecks his brain
> >for weeks?
>
> You are living in the past.
> The preacher does not say that the groom may kiss the bride,
> in modern marriages between equals. Neither the bride nor the groom
> wants such a thing said.

Until you can show me undenialble proof that you and all of us know where we
are going, I will choose to remain in the past, after all, the past worked
and has spoken for itself (there wasn't a 50% divorce rate) the present doesn't
look too healthy, and the future is cloaked in the vagueness of experimentation.
I hope the monsters created are more helpful than harmful.
I choose to ride the train of values and tradition because I can at least
have some perspective about it's destination, if you want, you have the
choice of riding an untested, untried vehicle going only to God knows where.

> There are often young boys included in ceremonies (actually they
> have been for many years -- as ring-bearers, so their "masculinity" is not
> "compromised") and everyone thinks they are just as cute as the little girls.

Ring-bearers have been around for many many years.

> A lot of "bridal" showers now include both the bride and the groom
> and the people invited include men as well as women. I have had and/or attended

A lot of bridal showers do not include men.  So much for that argument.

> several very successful showers over the last few years which were really more
> gift-giving followed by a social evening with friends of both sexes.
> Lastly, the "stag" for the groom is often being omitted (because he was at the
> shower) or replaced by his being taken out to lunch or dinner.
>
> Wake up -- you are living in a changing world.
>
>    --from the sssstickkky keyboard of JAM
>    ...!{ihnp4|clyde|decvax}!watmath!jamcmullan

Changing to what?  You assume all change is for the best or just best for you?

hrs@homxb.UUCP (H.SILBIGER) (09/19/85)

< ...didn't know Californians needed a passport o leave the state!

Many Californians think you should have a passportto control
admissions to California.

Seriously, you can apply for passports at County Clerks in NJ,
and perhaps other states as well.  They don't issue them, but
process the application before sending it to the State Dept.
This is often much quicker than going the US Passport offfive
route.

Herman Silbiger ihnp4!hpmxb!hrs

stan@hou2f.UUCP (S.GLAZER) (09/23/85)

	The State of California issues passports?

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (09/24/85)

> >I'm still waiting for California to return my original birth certificate
> >from when I applied for my passport. It's only been two years.
>
> Well, no wonder you haven't gotten it back.  To where did you expect
> to travel with a California passport?  Texas? :-)

OK OK OK OK I made a mistake (gasp/horror). When I posted the original
statement it somehow got turned around while going from my head to my
fingers. What I meant was I sent my original birth certificate (obtained
in California) to the Feds to get my passport. I never got my cert. back
even tho I got my passport.

I must admit tho it was fun reading everybody's response to it and before
I would travel to texas I would get shots and carry drinking water|-)

cheryl@lasspvax.UUCP (Cheryl Stewart) (09/25/85)

>> You are living in the past.
>> The preacher does not say that the groom may kiss the bride,
>> in modern marriages between equals. Neither the bride nor the groom
>> wants such a thing said.
>>

>Until you can show me undenialble proof that you and all of us know where we
>are going, I will choose to remain in the past, after all, the past worked

                   HA!

>and has spoken for itself (there wasn't a 50% divorce rate) the present doesn't
>look too healthy, the future is cloaked in the vagueness of experimentation.

   Hey, what's wrong with divorce????!!!!  If it weren't for the
   time-honored social contract of divorce, I'd still be MARRIED!!  Yuk-ola!!

>I choose to ride the train of values and tradition because I can at least
>have some perspective about it's destination, if you want, you have the
>choice of riding an untested, untried vehicle going only to God knows where.

    Scaredy-cat, scaredy-cat!  Better to live a life millions have
    already lived, rather than your own, huh?  DARE to be boring!!!

>> Wake up -- you are living in a changing world.

>Changing to what?  You assume all change is for the best or just best for you?

     Changes are happening whether you like it or not.
     If you don't wake up to the changes, you won't survive
     the changes.  Face it:  some social institutions are
     dinosaurs,  changing too slowly to keep up.
     Some are Irish Elk, changing too fast and for the wrong
     reasons.   Don't look here for the answers!  You
     don't even know how to ask a question!

arnold@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Ken Arnold%CGL) (09/25/85)

In article <11728@rochester.UUCP> ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) writes:
>> >Why doesn't the preacher say "and now the bride may kiss the groom?
>> >Why is there no flower boy following the groom?
>>
>> You are living in the past.
>> The preacher does not say that the groom may kiss the bride,
>> in modern marriages between equals. Neither the bride nor the groom
>> wants such a thing said.
>
>Until you can show me undenialble proof that you and all of us know
>where we are going, I will choose to remain in the past, after all, the
>past worked and has spoken for itself (there wasn't a 50% divorce rate)
>the present doesn't look too healthy, and the future is cloaked in the
>vagueness of experimentation.

Well, let's be a little more real, here.  The average length of a
marriage around 100 years ago was approximately the same as it is now.
For a person to be married two or three times was considered normal.
However, ends of marriages were usually by death, not divorce.  The
institution of marriage evolved in a situation where "till death do us
part" was not so long a thing.  Whether people can, in general,
maintain a marriage over 50 to 75 years has yet to be seen, but the
institution must and will, at least, change to adapt to longer lives.
So perhaps the "unhealthy" divorce rate is quite normal and healthy for
the population.

Oh, by the way, spare me your examples of 60+ year marriages.  My
grandparents are still lovingly married after 67 years, and I, having
just entered into marriage, intend to surpass them.  Please note that I
am talking about people *in general*, i.e., the population on average.

		Ken Arnold

ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) (09/27/85)

>    Hey, what's wrong with divorce????!!!!  If it weren't for the
>    time-honored social contract of divorce, I'd still be MARRIED!!  Yuk-ola!!

Ask your kids.

> >I choose to ride the train of values and tradition because I can at least
> >have some perspective about it's destination, if you want, you have the
> >choice of riding an untested, untried vehicle going only to God knows where.
>
>     Scaredy-cat, scaredy-cat!  Better to live a life millions have
>     already lived, rather than your own, huh?  DARE to be boring!!!

I'm more an individual than people like you who are sucked along with the
currents and don't have a damn thing to hang onto.

> >> Wake up -- you are living in a changing world.
>
> >Changing to what?  You assume all change is for the best or just best for you?
>
>      Changes are happening whether you like it or not.
>      If you don't wake up to the changes, you won't survive
>      the changes.  Face it:  some social institutions are
>      dinosaurs,  changing too slowly to keep up.
>      Some are Irish Elk, changing too fast and for the wrong
>      reasons.   Don't look here for the answers!  You
>      don't even know how to ask a question!

Again, change to what?  Just because you find change is good for you does
not mean it is good for everyone.  Wake up and realize that small tidbit
of info, well you?  I must ask this; aren't you just somewhat self-serving
here, hoping that by change you will realize some goal that is good for you
but has no real impact on the rest of us?  If this is the case then good
for you, I hope you realize your goals.  In this case, change can be good
for you and totally indifferent to me.

ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) (09/27/85)

> >Until you can show me undenialble proof that you and all of us know
> >where we are going, I will choose to remain in the past, after all, the
> >past worked and has spoken for itself (there wasn't a 50% divorce rate)
> >the present doesn't look too healthy, and the future is cloaked in the
> >vagueness of experimentation.
>
> Well, let's be a little more real, here.  The average length of a
> marriage around 100 years ago was approximately the same as it is now.
> For a person to be married two or three times was considered normal.
> However, ends of marriages were usually by death, not divorce.  The
> institution of marriage evolved in a situation where "till death do us
> part" was not so long a thing.  Whether people can, in general,
> maintain a marriage over 50 to 75 years has yet to be seen, but the
> institution must and will, at least, change to adapt to longer lives.
> So perhaps the "unhealthy" divorce rate is quite normal and healthy for
> the population.
>
> Oh, by the way, spare me your examples of 60+ year marriages.  My
> grandparents are still lovingly married after 67 years, and I, having
> just entered into marriage, intend to surpass them.  Please note that I
> am talking about people *in general*, i.e., the population on average.
>
> 		Ken Arnold

The divorce rate of people married 7 years or less is statistically much
high now than at any time in the past.  What are you talking about when
you mention 50 or 75 year marriages?  God bless your grandparents, but
they have little to do with this discussion.  Staying married for 20,
30, 40 years, etc probably is a feat of great accomplishment, but is staying
married for greater than 7 years considered a great accomplishment?  The
divorce rate is higher now than in the past.  No qualification of this fact
is necessary.  The divorce rate is not higher as you imply because people
are living longer, this is absurd.
Good luck in your marriage, you will need it.  I don't mean this to be
a negative or sarcastic remark, I really do wish you well, but don't take
the 50% divorce rate to trivially.  Thinking it could never happen to you
is perhaps idealistically, unrealistically optomistic.  Fifty percent means
half the people are a victim of the 'enlightened need for change' era we
are now living in.

cheryl@lasspvax.UUCP (Cheryl Stewart) (10/01/85)

Hey everybody!! A net.shouting-match between a real-live authoritarian
patriarch  (Frankie) and a snarling, unruly she-devil of a (GASP!)
independent woman.

>>    Hey, what's wrong with divorce????!!!!  If it weren't for the
>>    time-honored social contract of divorce, I'd still be MARRIED!!  Yuk-ola!!

Frankie say:

>Ask your kids.

    All of my children AND GRANDCHILDREN approve of my lifestyle
    and marital status.  Do yours?

Frankie say,
>> >I choose to ride the train of values and tradition because I can at least
>> >have some perspective about it's destination, if you want, you have the
>> >choice of riding an untested, untried vehicle going only to God knows where.

>>     Scaredy-cat, scaredy-cat!  Better to live a life millions have
>>     already lived, rather than your own, huh?  DARE to be boring!!!

Frankie say,
>I'm more an individual than people like you who are sucked along with the
>currents and don't have a damn thing to hang onto.

Look Bub, I hang onto cold hard cash and red hot men (and a certain
of legal permutation thereof).  If you don't like it, then I'll tell you
what:  there's a "train of values and tradition" leaving at 7:14 EMT.
Be under it.

Frankie say,
>> >Changing to what?You assume all change is for the best or just best for you?

>>      Changes are happening whether you like it or not.
>>      If you don't wake up to the changes, you won't survive
>>      the changes.  Face it:  some social institutions are
>>      dinosaurs,  changing too slowly to keep up.
>>      Some are Irish Elk, changing too fast and for the wrong
>>      reasons.   Don't look here for the answers!  You
>>      don't even know how to ask a question!

Frankie say,
>Again, change to what?  Just because you find change is good for you does
>not mean it is good for everyone.  Wake up and realize that small tidbit
>of info, well you?  I must ask this; aren't you just somewhat self-serving
>here, hoping that by change you will realize some goal that is good for you
>but has no real impact on the rest of us?  If this is the case then good
>for you, I hope you realize your goals.  In this case, change can be good
>for you and totally indifferent to me.

An environmental change that I can adapt to (and that you can't) is good for me
(and my kids) -- and bad for you (and your kids, unless they're smart
enough to rebel).   Of course I'm self-serving.  Whom would you rather
I serve?  Some MAN?  Gag me with a glass slipper! Oh, barf!

So what's the score?  Patriarchs 3, She-devils 6?  Let's let
the audience decide!!!

"Go away or I will taunt you a second time!"

                        Cheryl Stewart

arnold@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Ken Arnold%CGL) (10/02/85)

>> = Me
> = Ray Frank

>> Well, let's be a little more real, here.  The average length of a
>> marriage around 100 years ago was approximately the same as it is now.
>> For a person to be married two or three times was considered normal.
>> However, ends of marriages were usually by death, not divorce.  The
>> institution of marriage evolved in a situation where "till death do us
>> part" was not so long a thing.  Whether people can, in general,
>> maintain a marriage over 50 to 75 years has yet to be seen, but the
>> institution must and will, at least, change to adapt to longer lives.
>> So perhaps the "unhealthy" divorce rate is quite normal and healthy for
>> the population.
>
>The divorce rate of people married 7 years or less is statistically
>much high now than at any time in the past.  What are you talking
>about when you mention 50 or 75 year marriages?  Staying married for
>20, 30, 40 years, etc probably is a feat of great accomplishment, but
>is staying married for greater than 7 years considered a great
>accomplishment?  The divorce rate is higher now than in the past.  No
>qualification of this fact is necessary.  The divorce rate is not
>higher as you imply because people are living longer, this is absurd.

Is a 7 year marriage a great accomplishment?  I don't know.  I suppose
it depends on the people.  But what the point you seems to have
overlooked or misread in my letter is that people, particularly women,
died young in older days.  For them, a 7 year marriage generally meant
that a women had survived, say, 3 to 7 pregnancies.  This was not
extremely rare, but neither was it unusual to die in childbirth.  Add
in all the other then-common causes of death, and you'll find that, for
both of a couple to live for seven years after a marriage was only
somewhat better than 50/50 proposition.

So what has happened, in general, is that the divorce rate has
increased, and the death rate has declined, and the affect on longevity
of any single marriage has about evened out.  What this could indicate
is that it is not reasonable to expect the average marriage to last any
longer than it does today.  It's just that now one can get out of a
marriage without waiting for some natural event to kill off your
spouse.

Again, the institution of marriage that you wish to hold to evolved
when mortality made most marriages short.  When normal mortality makes
a marriage at 25 likely to last 50 years, not less than 10, one cannot
expect the institution to stand still.  It must adapt to this changing
situation.

Another thing to learn is that the problem of sundering marriages and
step-parents is essentially as bad today as it used to be in the good
old days when divorce was nearly unheard of.  It's just that now
children have to deal with the trauma of parental divorce, and before
they had to deal with parental death.

		Ken Arnold

sophie@mnetor.UUCP (Sophie Quigley) (10/03/85)

In article <11901@rochester.UUCP> ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) writes:
>Good luck in your marriage, you will need it.  I don't mean this to be
>a negative or sarcastic remark, I really do wish you well, but don't take
>the 50% divorce rate to trivially.  Thinking it could never happen to you
>is perhaps idealistically, unrealistically optomistic.  Fifty percent means
>half the people are a victim of the 'enlightened need for change' era we
>are now living in.

Of course, but the same remarks apply to YOU.  Living in the past is not going
to ensure that you don't get a divorce.  It takes two to get married, but only
one to get unmarried!  so what's your point?
--
Sophie Quigley
{allegra|decvax|ihnp4|linus|watmath}!utzoo!mnetor!sophie

ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) (10/04/85)

Stuwit gabs:
> Hey everybody!! A net.shouting-match between a real-live authoritarian
> patriarch  (Frankie) and a snarling, unruly she-devil of a (GASP!)
> independent woman.

Independent from what?  The orange you ate this morning was picked in
California, processed for shipping and transported 3000 miles to your
local grocer.  Just to eat that orange made you dependent on a whole
system designed to make you VERY dependent.  If you really are serious
about being independent you'll have to prove it by living out in the
sticks, growing your own food, chopping your own fire wood using a stone
axe that you've made, and building by yourself a dwelling from primitive
tools and materials you've fashioned.
You'll most likely need a 'ahem' man to help you.  After all, being truly
independ can be hard work.

Stuwit gabs:
> >>    Hey, what's wrong with divorce????!!!!  If it weren't for the
> >>    time-honored social contract of divorce, I'd still be MARRIED!!  Yuk-ola!!
> >>

> Frankie say:
> >
> >Ask your kids.

Stuwit gabs:
>     All of my children AND GRANDCHILDREN approve of my lifestyle
>     and marital status.  Do yours?

Congradulations, you're a liberated grandma, big deal.

> Frankie say,

Stuwit gabs:
> >>     Scaredy-cat, scaredy-cat!  Better to live a life millions have
> >>     already lived, rather than your own, huh?  DARE to be boring!!!
>
> Frankie say,
> >I'm more an individual than people like you who are sucked along with the
> >currents and don't have a damn thing to hang onto.

Stuwit gabs:
> Look Bub, I hang onto cold hard cash and red hot men (and a certain
> of legal permutation thereof).  If you don't like it, then I'll tell you
> what:  there's a "train of values and tradition" leaving at 7:14 EMT.
> Be under it.

Bub says:  If your the typical  ___________ driver (fill in the gender), then
most likely you will run me over with your train.

Stuwit gabs:

> Frankie say,

Stuwit gabs:
> >>      Changes are happening whether you like it or not.
> >>      If you don't wake up to the changes, you won't survive
> >>      the changes.  Face it:  some social institutions are
> >>      dinosaurs,  changing too slowly to keep up.
> >>      Some are Irish Elk, changing too fast and for the wrong
> >>      reasons.   Don't look here for the answers!  You
> >>      don't even know how to ask a question!

Dinosaurs lasted about 200 million years, don't knock'em, we've only been
been around a few million.  And most likely if were not careful, we will
be gone very soon.

> Frankie say,
> >Again, change to what?  Just because you find change is good for you does
> >not mean it is good for everyone.  Wake up and realize that small tidbit
> >of info, well you?  I must ask this; aren't you just somewhat self-serving
> >here, hoping that by change you will realize some goal that is good for you
> >but has no real impact on the rest of us?  If this is the case then good
> >for you, I hope you realize your goals.  In this case, change can be good
> >for you and totally indifferent to me.

Stuwit gabs:
> An environmental change that I can adapt to (and that you can't) is good for me
> (and my kids) -- and bad for you (and your kids, unless they're smart
> enough to rebel).   Of course I'm self-serving.  Whom would you rather
> I serve?  Some MAN?  Gag me with a glass slipper! Oh, barf!
>
> So what's the score?  Patriarchs 3, She-devils 6?  Let's let
> the audience decide!!!
>
> "Go away or I will taunt you a second time!"
>
>                         Cheryl Stewart

Environmental change ?!!!  What the hell are you preparing for, another ice age?
Self-serving?  What we have here is a genuine 'ME' person.   I'm a 'ME' person
too, I would rather be 'ME' than 'YOU'.
What we also have here is an apparent man hater who 'gulp' eats glass slippers,
sounds kind of kinky any way you look at it.

bye bye birdie, the weekend is here and I think I'll go on the hunt, foxes
everywhere you know.

kjm@ut-ngp.UTEXAS (Ken Montgomery) (10/05/85)

[]
>Hey everybody!! A net.shouting-match between a real-live authoritarian
>patriarch  (Frankie) and a snarling, unruly she-devil of a (GASP!)
>independent woman.
>
>[...]
>
>So what's the score?  Patriarchs 3, She-devils 6?  Let's let
>the audience decide!!!
>
>"Go away or I will taunt you a second time!"
>
>                        Cheryl Stewart

No, Patriarchs 0, She-devils 9 (at least).  And please, taunt him again!
I love it!

--
The above viewpoints are mine.  They are unrelated to
those of anyone else, including my cat and my employer.

Ken Montgomery  "Shredder-of-hapless-smurfs"
...!{ihnp4,allegra,seismo!ut-sally}!ut-ngp!kjm  [Usenet, when working]
kjm@ngp.UTEXAS.EDU  [Internet, if the nameservers are up]

ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) (10/05/85)

> >The divorce rate of people married 7 years or less is statistically
> >much high now than at any time in the past.  What are you talking
> >about when you mention 50 or 75 year marriages?  Staying married for
> >20, 30, 40 years, etc probably is a feat of great accomplishment, but
> >is staying married for greater than 7 years considered a great
> >accomplishment?  The divorce rate is higher now than in the past.  No
> >qualification of this fact is necessary.  The divorce rate is not
> >higher as you imply because people are living longer, this is absurd.
>
> Is a 7 year marriage a great accomplishment?  I don't know.  I suppose
> it depends on the people.  But what the point you seems to have
> overlooked or misread in my letter is that people, particularly women,
> died young in older days.  For them, a 7 year marriage generally meant
> that a women had survived, say, 3 to 7 pregnancies.  This was not
> extremely rare, but neither was it unusual to die in childbirth.  Add
> in all the other then-common causes of death, and you'll find that, for
> both of a couple to live for seven years after a marriage was only
> somewhat better than 50/50 proposition.
>
> So what has happened, in general, is that the divorce rate has
> increased, and the death rate has declined, and the affect on longevity
> of any single marriage has about evened out.  What this could indicate
> is that it is not reasonable to expect the average marriage to last any
> longer than it does today.  It's just that now one can get out of a
> marriage without waiting for some natural event to kill off your
> spouse.
>
> Again, the institution of marriage that you wish to hold to evolved
> when mortality made most marriages short.  When normal mortality makes
> a marriage at 25 likely to last 50 years, not less than 10, one cannot
> expect the institution to stand still.  It must adapt to this changing
> situation.
>
> Another thing to learn is that the problem of sundering marriages and
> step-parents is essentially as bad today as it used to be in the good
> old days when divorce was nearly unheard of.  It's just that now
> children have to deal with the trauma of parental divorce, and before
> they had to deal with parental death.
>
> 		Ken Arnold

The divorce rate has dramatically increased since the late fourties, are you
suggesting that women died young in the fourties and fifties?  Are you
suggesting that the longevity curve has dramatically incraeased since the
fourties?  The fifty percent divorce rate today cannot possibly be attributed
to longevity as you suggest, it is just mathematically impossible.
In effect you are blamming mother nature for the divorce rate, and nothing
else.

But if what you suggest is correct one could then surmise that 50% of the women
who married at age 20 back in the fourties died before the age of 40.  This
would nicely account for the 50% divorce rate of marriages begun when the
women were 20 years old and are today 40 years old and not dead.

If you are talking about a hundred or a thousand years ago, then you might
be correct, the life expectancy was around 40 then, but 40 years ago, the
life expectancy was about 70.

ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) (10/07/85)

> In article <11901@rochester.UUCP> ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) writes:
> >Good luck in your marriage, you will need it.  I don't mean this to be
> >a negative or sarcastic remark, I really do wish you well, but don't take
> >the 50% divorce rate to trivially.  Thinking it could never happen to you
> >is perhaps idealistically, unrealistically optomistic.  Fifty percent means
> >half the people are a victim of the 'enlightened need for change' era we
> >are now living in.
>
> Of course, but the same remarks apply to YOU.  Living in the past is not going
> to ensure that you don't get a divorce.  It takes two to get married, but only
> one to get unmarried!  so what's your point?
> --
> Sophie Quigley
> {allegra|decvax|ihnp4|linus|watmath}!utzoo!mnetor!sophie

I never said that anyone was immune to divorce.  Also it takes two to get
unmarried.

Many marriage counselors today feel that marriages are not working because of
the 'ME' attitude instead of the 'WE' attitude.  The 'ME' attitude is a
symtom of this new age we have entered, you know, this period of personal
enlightenment of rediscovering one's self.  The 'WE' attitude is more the
tradionalists thinking from another age commonly refered to as the past.

I've heard these counselors also mention that committment, which is a key word
in a marriage, is very difficult to achieve by people who are more into
their own desires and self-serving interests than people who are not.
In any case, I'm no expert, only someone who recognizes that the divorce rate
compared to another age is way outa sight and I happen to agree with some of
the experts who think they know why.
    regards
         ray

arnold@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Ken Arnold%CGL) (10/08/85)

In article <12089@rochester.UUCP> ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) writes:

>The divorce rate has dramatically increased since the late fourties, are you
>suggesting that women died young in the fourties and fifties?  Are you
>suggesting that the longevity curve has dramatically incraeased since the
>fourties?  The fifty percent divorce rate today cannot possibly be attributed
>to longevity as you suggest, it is just mathematically impossible.
>In effect you are blamming mother nature for the divorce rate, and nothing
>else.

Of course not.  Any social institution takes some time to adapt,
especially one as entrenched as marriage.  Please sit back and think
a little before responding.  I hate typing things as obvious as that.

>If you are talking about a hundred or a thousand years ago, then you might
>be correct, the life expectancy was around 40 then, but 40 years ago, the
>life expectancy was about 70.

Thank you.  I was, indeed, talking about a hundred years ago.  I stated
this explicitly in my first article.  Do I have to repeat myself each
time?

Oh, and by the way, divorce became common in the upper classes before
it moved into the middle and lower classes.  Also, it was the upper
classes who were able to afford what life-prolonging health care did
exist.  For the less affluent, life-prolonging health care didn't
arrive until 30 to 50 years ago.  And, lo and behold, divorce as a
common thing came only 20 to 10 years ago.  So there is a visible lag,
possibly correlative, between the arrival of health care for a class of
people and the acceptance of divorce.

		Ken Arnold

cheryl@lasspvax.UUCP (Cheryl Stewart) (10/08/85)

In article <12074@rochester.UUCP> ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) writes:
>Stuwit gabs:
>> Hey everybody!! A net.shouting-match between a real-live authoritarian
>> patriarch  (Frankie) and a snarling, unruly she-devil of a (GASP!)
>> independent woman.
>>
>Independent from what?  The orange you ate this morning was picked in
>California, processed for shipping and transported 3000 miles to your
>local grocer.  Just to eat that orange made you dependent on a whole
>system designed to make you VERY dependent.  If you really are serious
>about being independent you'll have to prove it by living out in the

I don't depend on some idiot man to tell me what to do.  I know you're
trying to flame me back (yawn).

>Stuwit gabs:

>> Frankie say:
>> >Ask your kids.
>
>Stuwit gabs:
>>     All of my children AND GRANDCHILDREN approve of my lifestyle
>>     and marital status.  Do yours?
>>
>Congradulations, you're a liberated grandma, big deal.

That is incorrect! I have neither children NOR GRANDCHILDREN.  It
still holds true that ALL of them approve of me.  Learn to spell.
THEN learn simple logic & how to avoid fundamental logical traps.

>> Frankie say,
>
>Stuwit gabs:
>>
>> Frankie say,
>> >I'm more an individual than people like you who are sucked along with the
>> >currents and don't have a damn thing to hang onto.
>> >

>Stuwit gabs:
>> Look Bub, I hang onto cold hard cash and red hot men (and a certain
>> of legal permutation thereof).  If you don't like it, then I'll tell you
>> what:  there's a "train of values and tradition" leaving at 7:14 EMT.
>> Be under it.
>
>Bub says:  If your the typical  ___________ driver (fill in the gender), then
>most likely you will run me over with your train.

Oh, wow.  Don't you mean "you're the typical..."?  Do you remember third grade?

>Stuwit gabs:
>
>> Frankie say,
>> >Again, change to what?  Just because you find change is good for you does
>> >not mean it is good for everyone.  Wake up and realize that small tidbit
>> >of info, well you?  I must ask this; aren't you just somewhat self-serving
>> >here, hoping that by change you will realize some goal that is good for you
>> >but has no real impact on the rest of us?  If this is the case then good
>> >for you, I hope you realize your goals.  In this case, change can be good
>> >for you and totally indifferent to me.
>
>Stuwit gabs:
>> An environmental change that I adapt to (and that you can't) is good for me
>> (and my kids) -- and bad for you (and your kids, unless they're smart
>> enough to rebel).   Of course I'm self-serving.  Whom would you rather
>> I serve?  Some MAN?  Gag me with a glass slipper! Oh, barf!
>>
>Environmental change ?!!  What the hell are you preparing for, another ice age?
>Self-serving?  What we have here is a genuine 'ME' person.   I'm a 'ME' person
>too, I would rather be 'ME' than 'YOU'.
>What we also have here is an apparent man hater who 'gulp' eats glass slippers,
>sounds kind of kinky any way you look at it.
>bye bye birdie, the weekend is here and I think I'll go on the hunt, foxes
>everywhere you know.

May you bag a vacuous stunade to complete your neolithic social environment.

                            Cheryl Stewart

"How'm I doin'?"

scott@hou2g.UUCP (Colonel'K) (10/08/85)

You know Ray, I've got news for you:

	Selfishness is NOT a recent invention.

Somehow I think that the only reason battered women (as an
example) didn't leave marriages "in the past" is that it
wasn't "socially acceptable" to do so.  Now that it is, does
that make it "selfish"?

The only result of the "ME" generation, is that instead of giving
100% to your spouse, people nowadays believe in keeping a little
of themselves FOR themselves.  Sounds reasonable to me.

			"PAY NO ATTENTION TO THAT MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!"

				Scott J. Berry
				ihnp4!hou2g!scott

seb@mtgzz.UUCP (s.e.badian) (10/09/85)

From ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) Wed Dec 31 19:00:00 1969
>I never said that anyone was immune to divorce.  Also it takes two to get
>unmarried.

>Many marriage counselors today feel that marriages are not working because of
>the 'ME' attitude instead of the 'WE' attitude.  The 'ME' attitude is a
>symtom of this new age we have entered, you know, this period of personal
>enlightenment of rediscovering one's self.  The 'WE' attitude is more the
>tradionalists thinking from another age commonly refered to as the past.

Oh no! The 'WE' attitude is sexist! The 'WE' attitude said "The husband
ultimately makes all the decisions." In the past women has very little input
into what went on. If your husband found a new job in another city, you
moved with him. If your husband said you can only spend $10 a week on
yourself, that's all you got, since he made all the money. Traditional
marriage implys traditional commitment implys traditional sex roles
for men and women. It was a great deal for men, but a lousy one for women
who wanted to do more than raise a family and take care of a house.

The 'ME' attitude is where are two people in the marriage and each of them
has input. And you solve your differences through compromise. One side
doesn't do all the compromising. You work at it. In the past you didn't
have to work at marriages! Women were so will trained to think there was
nothing else for them to do outside of marriage that they wouldn't even
consider a divorce. And men were trained that they shouldn't abandon
their wives and children (though I would bet money that a lot more men
skipped out on their wives than the other way around).

Sharon Badian
ihnp4!mtgzz!seb

terry@nrcvax.UUCP (Terry Grevstad) (10/10/85)

gadfly@ihuxn.UUCP (Gadfly) says:
>--
>[Some guy]
>> > I choose to ride the train of values and tradition because I can
>> > at least have some perspective about it's destination, if you want,
>> > you have the choice of riding an untested, untried vehicle going
>> > only to God knows where.
>
>[Cheryl Stewart]
>>     Scaredy-cat, scaredy-cat!  Better to live a life millions have
>>     already lived, rather than your own, huh?  DARE to be boring!!!
>
>I *love* it!  Author, author!  (Authoress?)  As Cheryl obviously knows,
>you really can't say you've lived unless the only explanation you have
>for at least one thing you've done is, "It seemed like a good idea at
>the time."

What is this ridiculousness?  I've only missed a week or so of reading
this group, and now I come back to this?  Everyone (read *EVERYONE*)
is entitled to live their lives as they see fit and in the manner they
feel most comfortable with.  So [Some guy] is riding "the train of
values and tradition"--that's his choice!  Let him make it without
hounding him to death.

And _name_calling_, Cheryl, isn't that a bit high-school?
You sound like you are trying desperately to pull
someone else down to your level so you won't have to be done there by
yourself.  (Notice I said "sound like".  I don't now why you are
reduced to calling people childish names.)

And Mr. Gadfly, honestly.  Do you really believe that there is anyone
living in the world today who *can't* say "It seemed like a good idea at
the time" about some action they have taken.  Maybe you can say that
about your posting here.  However, I can imagine that most of your
life contains that line.

In conclusion, let us try and act like rational adults instead of self
defensive children.  I have kids at home I can listen to.  I read the
news for adult interaction.  If this is what I get, I quit!

--
\"\t\f1A\h'+1m'\f4\(mo\h'+1m'\f1the\h'+1m'\f4\(es\t\f1\c

                                                       Terry Grevstad
                                         Network Research Corporation
                                                   ihnp4!nrcvax!terry
	                 {sdcsvax,hplabs}!sdcrdcf!psivax!nrcvax!terry
                                            ucbvax!calma!nrcvax!terry

terry@nrcvax.UUCP (Terry Grevstad) (10/10/85)

arnold@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Ken Arnold) says:

>Is a 7 year marriage a great accomplishment?  I don't know.  I suppose
>it depends on the people.  But what the point you seems to have
>overlooked or misread in my letter is that people, particularly women,
>died young in older days.
>
>So what has happened, in general, is that the divorce rate has
>increased, and the death rate has declined, and the affect on longevity
>of any single marriage has about evened out.  What this could indicate
>is that it is not reasonable to expect the average marriage to last any
>longer than it does today.  It's just that now one can get out of a
>marriage without waiting for some natural event to kill off your
>spouse.

Hey, you are forgetting something here.  Mortality was not the only
this which caused less divorce in the past.  There was also the fact
that most organized religions of that time period
frowned on divorce, so divorced people were left out in the cold socially
because in many cases, church was the only social contact a family
had with other members of a community.

Also, there was no welfare program.  A wife with children really
couldn't leave her husband because she couldn't afford to take care of
the kids, unless she had rich family she could turn to or a respectable
profession she had been trained for (highly unlikely).  And, at that
time, the father was more than likely to get custody of any children
in a court battle because any woman who *wanted* to leave her husband
was probably a wanton.

But, there is another facet you are also forgetting...  People then
*believed* in marriage until "death do you part" and they prayed hard
that death did not them part until they were old and gray.  They
*wanted* to stay together--not just economically, socially, and
religiously HAD to stay together.  A lot of people just don't believe
in marriage any more--making it impossible for them to stay happily
married.  And I find this incredibly heartbreaking.

I knew a couple once who actually planned their divorce before they
got married.  They decided that she would buy a
washer/dryer/refrigerator and he would buy a car/stereo/tv before the
marriage, so that when/if they got divorced they wouldn't have to
worry about community property laws because they had owned everything
previous to getting married.  Needless to say, their marriage lasted
just a little more than one year.  They had planned their divorce
right into their marriage.  How sad.  They had removed even the last
vestiges of reasons to *try* to make a marriage work.

Yes, I am married.  Have been for almost 5 years.  No, we haven't made
it to the 7 year mark yet, but we will.  We have lots of good examples
to look back on.  My grandparents on both sides have been married for
60+ years.  His grandparents on both sides are the same.  My parents
are looking at their 36th anniversary coming up, and my husband's are
somewhere in the 30's also.  This is my first marriage.  His second
(his first wife kicked him out to invite her boyfriend to live with
her).  We *believe* in marriage.  We *want* it to work, and most
importantly, we are willing to work as hard as we have to to *make* it
work.  Yes, we've had our problems, and there are times when divorce
would have been an easy way out, but "easy ways" don't allow you to
learn and grow from hard experiences.  And I love my husband more now
that I ever did when we got married.

Anyway, this is degenerating into personal testimony of marriage, if
anyone wants to hear that they can send me email.  Sorry this got so
long.

--

crs@lanl.ARPA (10/10/85)

> In article <12074@rochester.UUCP> ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) writes:
> >Stuwit gabs:
> >> Hey everybody!! A net.shouting-match between a real-live authoritarian
> >> patriarch  (Frankie) and a snarling, unruly she-devil of a (GASP!)
> >> independent woman.

.
.
.
> >Environmental change ?!!  What the hell are you preparing for, another ice age?
> >Self-serving?  What we have here is a genuine 'ME' person.   I'm a 'ME' person
> >too, I would rather be 'ME' than 'YOU'.
> >What we also have here is an apparent man hater who 'gulp' eats glass slippers,
> >sounds kind of kinky any way you look at it.
> >bye bye birdie, the weekend is here and I think I'll go on the hunt, foxes
> >everywhere you know.
>
> May you bag a vacuous stunade to complete your neolithic social environment.
>

>                             Cheryl Stewart
>

> "How'm I doin'?"

How about changing the subject line to read:  "Vacuous bickering
between Cheryl and Ray" so that those of us who are disinterested can
easily "n" key past this ongoing series?  Thanks.

--
All opinions are mine alone...

Charlie Sorsby
...!{cmcl2,ihnp4,...}!lanl!crs
crs@lanl.arpa

barry@ames.UUCP (Kenn Barry) (10/10/85)

On the subject of divorce, Ray Frank writes:

>Also it takes two to get unmarried.

	While I suppose divorce laws vary from state to state, I must
admit Mr. Frank has baffled me, here (not the first time): what the heck
does this mean, Ray? I don't know of a state that requires the consent
of both parties for a divorce, and I know a lot of people (including
me) who are divorced, not by their own choice, but by their ex-spouse's.

-  From the Crow's Nest  -                      Kenn Barry
                                                NASA-Ames Research Center
                                                Moffett Field, CA
 	ELECTRIC AVENUE:	 {ihnp4,vortex,dual,nsc,hao,hplabs}!ames!barry

ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) (10/10/85)

> I don't depend on some idiot man to tell me what to do.  I know you're
> trying to flame me back (yawn).
>

> Oh, wow.  Don't you mean "you're the typical..."?  Do you remember third grade?
>

> May you bag a vacuous stunade to complete your neolithic social environment.
>

>                             Cheryl Stewart
>

> "How'm I doin'?"

Ahhhhhh, I think she likes me!

p.s.  I give up, what does stunade mean?  I hope it's a compliment.

ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) (10/13/85)

> From ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) Wed Dec 31 19:00:00 1969
> >I never said that anyone was immune to divorce.  Also it takes two to get
> >unmarried.
>
> >Many marriage counselors today feel that marriages are not working because of
> >the 'ME' attitude instead of the 'WE' attitude.  The 'ME' attitude is a
> >symtom of this new age we have entered, you know, this period of personal
> >enlightenment of rediscovering one's self.  The 'WE' attitude is more the
> >tradionalists thinking from another age commonly refered to as the past.
>
> Oh no! The 'WE' attitude is sexist! The 'WE' attitude said "The husband
> ultimately makes all the decisions." In the past women has very little input
> into what went on. If your husband found a new job in another city, you
> moved with him. If your husband said you can only spend $10 a week on
> yourself, that's all you got, since he made all the money. Traditional
> marriage implys traditional commitment implys traditional sex roles
> for men and women. It was a great deal for men, but a lousy one for women
> who wanted to do more than raise a family and take care of a house.

If I told you once, I told you a million times, don't exagerate, and generally
speaking, don't over generalize.

From above: you should have said "SOME husbands ultimately make all the decis-
ions", and "In the past, SOME women had very little input into what went on",
and SOME husbands alowed 10 bucks a week on his wife, etc., etc.  You really
make it sound like there existed a robotic society where wives were
nothing more than subordinate machines with on/off buttons, no love, no
consideration, no feelings.

pwk@ccice2.UUCP (Paul W. Karber) (10/16/85)

In article <1247@mtgzz.UUCP> seb@mtgzz.UUCP (s.e.badian) writes:

>Oh no! The 'WE' attitude is sexist! The 'WE' attitude said "The husband
>ultimately makes all the decisions." In the past women has very little input
>into what went on. If your husband found a new job in another city, you
>moved with him. If your husband said you can only spend $10 a week on
>yourself, that's all you got, since he made all the money. Traditional
>marriage implys traditional commitment implys traditional sex roles
>for men and women. It was a great deal for men, but a lousy one for women
>who wanted to do more than raise a family and take care of a house.

I still think you are over estimating the power of men.

>The 'ME' attitude is where are two people in the marriage and each of them
>has input. And you solve your differences through compromise. One side
>doesn't do all the compromising. You work at it. In the past you didn't
>have to work at marriages!

Tell my parents or my grandparents that. (They always like a good laugh :-)

>Women were so will trained to think there was
>nothing else for them to do outside of marriage that they wouldn't even
>consider a divorce. And men were trained that they shouldn't abandon
>their wives and children (though I would bet money that a lot more men
>skipped out on their wives than the other way around).
>
>Sharon Badian
>ihnp4!mtgzz!seb

I don't know what Ray Frank meant by "ME" and "WE", but it seems to me
that you've got it backasswards. The "ME" attitude always seemed to me
to be "If I don't get what I want then I should change things until
I do".  The "WE" attitude seems to me to be a partnership where we do
what is best for us.

--

siesmo!rochester!ccice5!ccice2!pwk

bing@galbp.UUCP (Bing Bang) (10/18/85)

In article <> terry@nrcvax.UUCP (Terry Grevstad) writes:
>In conclusion, let us try and act like rational adults instead of self
>defensive children.  I have kids at home I can listen to.  I read the
>news for adult interaction.  If this is what I get, I quit!

mommy! mommy! wheres my mommy!?
are you my mommy?

(i really am sorry, but i couldn't resist-
i guess it felt like a good idea at the time-
atleast i'm not a scaredy-cat...)

--
"Break but never bend"

...akgua!galbp!bing