[net.women] A blast from the

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (10/23/85)

As the original poster, I think it's high time I got back into this.  A lot
of  people  seem  to  be making public assumptions as to my motivations and
putting words in my mouth or ideas in my head.  Enough!

First of all, as the Subject line was intended to indicate, I  was  posting
the  article  as  a  continuation  of  the discussion that occurred several
months ago when the Playboy Mensa pictorial was first mentioned (by someone
else).  The  pictorial  was pre-empted by the Madonna pictorial at the time
and had finally been published two months later.

Now for some general replies and clarifications:

>From: jeffw@tekecs.UUCP (Jeff Winslow)
>Subject: Re: Re: A flash from the (recent) past.
>
>Jerry - "Hey, I didn't know there were such pretty (and otherwise interesting -
>         don't forget that Playboy usually gives some sort of personal
>         interest details) women in this group I belong to! I've got
>         to meet them for myself."

I do and did know there are pretty and interesting women in Mensa.  They're
one reason (among many) I'm a member.  I've met, socialized, and dated many
of them already.

>                        ... but, fer chrissake, Jerry's talking about who
>he wants in his *personal* life (and not entirely seriously, either,
>I suspect).

You bet, not entirely.  Doesn't _anyone_ out there have a sense  of  humor?
Do  I really have to put a (-: after even obvious humor? (~sigh~, I suppose
so.  Oh, well).

>From: dyer@vaxuum.DEC (People 'R' People)
>Subject: Re: A flash from the (recent) past.

That was neither the intent nor implication  of  my  original  posting.  If
that's  how  you  interpreted  it that's your problem, but don't go putting
words in my mouth.

As a side note, I coordinate the local Mensa nudist special interest group.
I certainly don't have to read Playboy to see naked women -- Mensan or not.

>        Mensa is an organization formed for people with high IQs
>to find others with high IQs to socialize with.  Apparently women
>with high IQs aren't what the author of the original article is
>interested in, but women "suitable" for _Playboy_ provoke his
>interest enough to attend "more regional gatherings."

Now _think_ for a minute.  The women in this pictorial were all members  of
Mensa.  By  definition  that  means  they've  _already_  been  selected for
intelligence (which, not at all incidentally, is my primary criterion  when
looking  for potential SOs).  If I were only interested in their bodies the
fact that it was a Mensa pictorial  would  be  meaningless  and  the  whole
subject would probably never have come up at all.

>        I hardly think ...
>                <_Jym_>

Apparently.  See?  I can quote out of context too, but it hardly helps  the
situation.  The actual statement was:

>        I hardly think that this is the newsgroup to express such
>sentiments.
>                <_Jym_>

You're entitled to your opinion.  However, given that (a) this is  a  group
for discussion of women's issues and (b) the article in question stimulated
a great deal of discussion, I would think this is a very appropriate  group
for it.

Finally, the next time anyone wants to know what I think,  or  thinks  they
know what I think, how about asking instead of speculating?