[net.women] A suggestion for a ground rule in any pornography debate

jeffw@tekecs.UUCP (Jeff Winslow) (09/03/85)

One suggestion would be, "end it", since this was all hashed over not
so many moons ago.

But seriously, I suggest this rule: Anyone who contributes an article
concerning pornography must give examples or otherwise specify what
they consider to be pornography and what they consider to be erotica.
Or what they consider should be allowed and what should not.

Otherwise, people will just argue with hordes of straw men and we will see
flames that will make the PMS silliness seem like a game of hopscotch.

I'm moved to post this after reading Ellen Eades's article. I was wondering
how she could possibly believe as she does until I came to the last
paragraph, where it became apparent that she considers pornography to
be typefied by scenes with whips and burning. It all became quite
reasonable (although my own opinion is closer to Todd Jones's) after that.

Personally, when I think "pornography", I think of "Playboy", which
I have enjoyed in the past, and which is hardly in the same league.
Ellen's pornography I call "gaak!".
						Jeff Winslow

ellen@reed.UUCP (Ellen Eades) (09/05/85)

>...Various suggestions on ground rules for porn debates...<

> I'm moved to post this after reading Ellen Eades's article. I was wondering
> how she could possibly believe as she does until I came to the last
> paragraph, where it became apparent that she considers pornography to
> be typefied by scenes with whips and burning.
>
> Personally, when I think "pornography", I think of "Playboy", which
> I have enjoyed in the past, and which is hardly in the same league.
> Ellen's pornography I call "gaak!".
> 						Jeff Winslow

Ahem!
It seems I am going to have to clarify my position on/definition
of porn. (Look out netters, Ellen's going to talk like a
castrating bitch again...)

I find it harmful to me when "Playboy" presents a view of women
which, while lacking the physical whips and chains, is severely
limited in scope.  I don't like the image of women in "Playboy"
any more than that of women in "Screw";  the "Playboy" women, gazing
wetly at the camera in soft focus, seem to me to be the reason
behind men's rationalization of "You know you really want it."
How can any man NOT get that impression when all the images he is
exposed to have that message?  "Playboy"'s misogynism, while far
subtler than that of "Hustler", is nonetheless far more widespread
and is accepted by most of liberal America as all right.  This I
find upsetting, because it presents a subtler and more
insidious encouragement of violence against women: the violence
of date rape or forced seduction.  With "Playboy"'s message that
all women want sex all the time goes the idea that it is all
right to give it to her.  When a woman DOES NOT want sex, a man
who reads "Playboy" regularly and intensively will probably get
angry and confused and accuse her of being a tease.

While images like the infamous "Penthouse" spread of last
Thanksgiving which featured an Asian woman trussed up like a
turkey fill me with outrage and fury, the "Playboy" images make
me internally nervous.  I don't want to be mis-seen as a
"Playboy" nymphomaniac any more than I want to be mis-seen as a
willing victim of sadomasochistic violence.  It seems to me that
the attitude that "Violence is uncool, but 'Playboy' isn't
violence and is therefore justifiable entertainment" misses a
great deal of the subtlety behind this form of pornography.

Last year a woman was raped at Reed, and the subsequent Reed
rape discussion group included a lot of men who indicated that
they felt that it was necessary to strongly encourage (read that
as you will) their dates to sleep with them because they really
did want to give in but needed to feel that they were being
overcome by a stronger force and therefore were not "at fault."
At Reed, and in most places in this day and age (I hope), that's
patently ridiculous.

At the risk of getting off track, I want to quote a (male)
friend: "If she says 'no,' you should stop.  She'll let you know
if she didn't mean it before you get to the door."

Pornography never presents an image of a woman saying 'no' and
meaning it.  Thus the idea that women never do mean 'no' is
encouraged.

Hope this clears up my position.
--
-    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -
	"Who's been repeating all that hard stuff to you?"

jeffw@tekecs.UUCP (Jeff Winslow) (09/05/85)

> >...Various suggestions on ground rules for porn debates...<
>
> > I'm moved to post this after reading Ellen Eades's article. I was wondering
> > how she could possibly believe as she does until I came to the last
> > paragraph, where it became apparent that she considers pornography to
> > be typefied by scenes with whips and burning.
> >
> > Personally, when I think "pornography", I think of "Playboy", which
> > I have enjoyed in the past, and which is hardly in the same league.
> > Ellen's pornography I call "gaak!".
> > 						Jeff Winslow
>
> Ahem!
> It seems I am going to have to clarify my position on/definition
> of porn. (Look out netters, Ellen's going to talk like a
> castrating bitch again...)

I don't think you talked like a "castrating bitch" at all. I do
have a lot of reservations about what you did say, however, and I
hope no one minds if I break up your article into little pieces to
vioce them.

> I find it harmful to me when "Playboy" presents a view of women
> which, while lacking the physical whips and chains, is severely
> limited in scope.  I don't like the image of women in "Playboy"
> any more than that of women in "Screw";  the "Playboy" women, gazing
> wetly at the camera in soft focus, seem to me to be the reason
> behind men's rationalization of "You know you really want it."

I'm sure men have used this rationalization for thousands of years,
while "Playboy" has only existed for 30. So I very much doubt it.

> How can any man NOT get that impression when all the images he is
> exposed to have that message?

Well, for one, by being mature enough to realize that what the
magazine presents is just fantasy. It's not so tough. If I can do it...

>                                 "Playboy"'s misogynism, while far
> subtler than that of "Hustler", is nonetheless far more widespread
> and is accepted by most of liberal America as all right.

Maybe that's because the misogynism is in the eye of the beholder in this case.

> This I find upsetting, because it presents a subtler and more
> insidious encouragement of violence against women: the violence
> of date rape or forced seduction.

I'm sorry that it upsets you, but I think you're being upset by a bogey.
For me, its encouragement of violence against women is so subtle
and insidious as to be non-existent. I can't believe I'm so unusual
in that respect.

>                                   With "Playboy"'s message that
> all women want sex all the time goes the idea that it is all
> right to give it to her.

So it is, if she wants it, right?

                            When a woman DOES NOT want sex, a man
> who reads "Playboy" regularly and intensively will probably get
> angry and confused and accuse her of being a tease.

Oh come now. You must think men are awfully simple-minded.

And anyway, we can get confused enough without reading "Playboy".

> [New paragraph]
> While images like the infamous "Penthouse" spread of last
> Thanksgiving which featured an Asian woman trussed up like a
> turkey fill me with outrage and fury, the "Playboy" images make
> me internally nervous.  I don't want to be mis-seen as a
> "Playboy" nymphomaniac any more than I want to be mis-seen as a
> willing victim of sadomasochistic violence.  It seems to me that
> the attitude that "Violence is uncool, but 'Playboy' isn't
> violence and is therefore justifiable entertainment" misses a
> great deal of the subtlety behind this form of pornography.

Well, I'm glad that "Playboy" only makes you nervous and not furious.
However, it seems to me that a common reaction to someone saying
"I can't see such-and-such" is "well, it's just too subtle for you".
Maybe so. But this argument can also hide a host of prejudices and
misunderstandings. It would seem to me safer, and more effective, to
concentrate on correcting the obvious before worrying about the subtle.

						Jeff Winslow

dmcanzi@watdcsu.UUCP (David Canzi) (09/06/85)

The basic idea behind freedom of the press and freedom of speech (as I
understand it) is to prevent the suppression of ideas.  People are
supposed to be able to hear all kinds of opinions, examine them
critically and choose among them.  And if they disagree with an idea
that is being expressed, they can argue against it.

If the government has the power to decide that certain ideas are not to
be expressed, and to prevent them from being expressed, there is the
danger that the government will choose to suppress truths that would be
inconvenient to the government if widely known.  After all, the people
who make up the government are only people, and honesty is not the
strongest of our natural instincts.

Many people claim that the censorship of pornography does not involve
the suppression of ideas.  Yet, pretty frequently, the reasons given
for censoring pornography are like these (from tektronix!reed!ellen):

>                                       ...the "Playboy" women, gazing
> wetly at the camera in soft focus, seem to me to be the reason
> behind men's rationalization of "You know you really want it."
> How can any man NOT get that impression when all the images he is
> exposed to have that message?

>                      ...it presents a subtler and more
> insidious encouragement of violence against women: the violence
> of date rape or forced seduction.  With "Playboy"'s message that
> all women want sex all the time goes the idea that it is all
> right to give it to her.

> Pornography never presents an image of a woman saying 'no' and
> meaning it.  Thus the idea that women never do mean 'no' is
> encouraged.

Now, it sure looks as if it's *ideas* that she's objecting to.  To
be fair, I don't recall Ellen explicitly saying that she wants the
government to step on Playboy magazine, but since she said these in
an article about censorship, it's a strong likelihood.

--
David Canzi

This has been a test of the emergency broadcasting system.  It was only a test.
Repeat: only a test.  If this had been a real emergency, you would be dead.

crs@lanl.ARPA (09/06/85)

> With "Playboy"'s message that
> all women want sex all the time goes the idea that it is all
> right to give it to her.  When a woman DOES NOT want sex, a man
> who reads "Playboy" regularly and intensively will probably get
> angry and confused and accuse her of being a tease.

I must admit that I don't read '"Playboy" regularly' but I've read a
few over the years and I must say that I have *never* received this
message.

> Last year a woman was raped at Reed, and the subsequent Reed
> rape discussion group included a lot of men who indicated that
> they felt that it was necessary to strongly encourage (read that
> as you will) their dates to sleep with them because they really
> did want to give in but needed to feel that they were being
> overcome by a stronger force and therefore were not "at fault."

I believe that this is a view that has been around far longer than
Playboy.  I think that *some* men have probably subscribed to this
view for many decades if not centuries.

> At Reed, and in most places in this day and age (I hope), that's
> patently ridiculous.

It has always been patently ridiculous, except, perhaps, to those who
believe it.

> At the risk of getting off track, I want to quote a (male)
> friend: "If she says 'no,' you should stop.  She'll let you know
> if she didn't mean it before you get to the door."

Sounds like good advice to me.

> Pornography never presents an image of a woman saying 'no' and
> meaning it.  Thus the idea that women never do mean 'no' is
> encouraged.

You are certainly entitled to this as *your* definition of pornography
but, as has been said many times before, you are, in no way, entitled
to insist that that definition be applied to *me* or to *anyone else*.

I'm sorry that I don't recall what you suggested as a cure for the
problem that you perceive but if it was censorship of any form, I say
emphatically,
				*NO*.

> Hope this clears up my position.

Mine too.

> 	tektronix!reed!ellen OR tektronix!reed!motel6!ellen

Are we really going to go through the whole pornography/censorship
debate again, with people saying that we must eliminate all
pornography.  And others saying they are against any form of
censorship.  And others saying they are not suggesting censorship but
that all pornography must be forbidden...

I take my constitutionally guaranteed rights *very* serioulsly; *all*
of them.

Lets quit worrying about the symptoms and see if we can cure the disease.

--
All opinions are mine alone...

Charlie Sorsby
...!{cmcl2,ihnp4,...}!lanl!crs
crs@lanl.arpa

spp@ucbvax.ARPA (Stephen P Pope) (09/06/85)

     There was an extensive debate on pornography in this
newsgroup last year, and I didn't put in my $.02 worth then.
After all I'm just another male who reads net.women and
who is opposed to censorship, believes consenting adults
can do whatever they please, and so forth.
     After reading Ellen Eades' recent postings I'd like
to point out something that hasn't been mentioned here.
That is, how the preoccupation with censorship that has
arisen in the women's rights movement in the last few
years has influenced the public's view of feminism.  It
has influenced my view, and fairly negatively, and here's
why.
     I'm a liberal person, and I have always viewed
feminism as a liberal cause, which I have always supported
except for the radical fringe.  Censorship of pornography
is pretty much a right-wing, moral-majority type
of thing.  True, there have long been feminist writers
that wrote of the evils of pornography.  But until
faily recently it seemed to be thought of more as a
symptom of society's prejudices, rather than a problem
in itself that should be attacked, and the discussion
against it was pretty much intellectual.  It's one
thing to object to pornography, quite another to
advocate banning it.
     Ellen feels offended by all forms of pornography,
including fairly mild examples such as Playboy.  This
is her right.  This attitude seems to be more prevalent
these days than in the past.  What Ellen and many others
are really objecting to is the explicit portrayal of
women as being sexually available, presumably to men.
What Ellen may not realize is that she objects to people
whose sexual preferences are different from her own.
She realizes that there are people who are sexually
entertained by something she finds offensive and disgusting,
and this upsets her.  The mentality here is the same as
that of people who object to homosexuals, on the basis
that homosexuality is inherently disgusting.  This is
narrow mindedness, pure and simple.
     It's probably part of human nature that any given
individual is unlikely to accept, at a personal level,
all forms of sexual expression.  But it takes a heluva
lot of nerve to claim that your preferred form of sexuality
should be protected by law, and somebody else's should be
banned.
     I believe that this sexual intolerance is the real
motivation behind the pro-censorship movement.  The
other justifications -- linkage to criminal violence,
association with illegal activities such as child
pornography, and so on -- are pretty much rationalizations.
     So my advice, to those who are considering jumping
on the anti-pornography bandwagon, is to think twice
about what you are doing.  By attacking one of society's
basic freedoms you are helping to discredit the entire
women's rights movement.  And the movement is not doing as
well as it was a few years ago.  I am not alone in my
opinions, so I think this is something to consider.

steve pope (...ucbvax!spp)

dmmartindale@watcgl.UUCP (Dave Martindale) (09/07/85)

In article <1873@reed.UUCP> ellen@reed.UUCP (Ellen Eades) writes:

>I find it harmful to me when "Playboy" presents a view of women
>which, while lacking the physical whips and chains, is severely
>limited in scope.  I don't like the image of women in "Playboy"
>any more than that of women in "Screw";  the "Playboy" women, gazing
>wetly at the camera in soft focus, seem to me to be the reason
>behind men's rationalization of "You know you really want it."
>How can any man NOT get that impression when all the images he is
>exposed to have that message?  "Playboy"'s misogynism, while far
>subtler than that of "Hustler", is nonetheless far more widespread
>and is accepted by most of liberal America as all right.  This I
>find upsetting, because it presents a subtler and more
>insidious encouragement of violence against women: the violence
>of date rape or forced seduction.  With "Playboy"'s message that
>all women want sex all the time goes the idea that it is all
>right to give it to her.  When a woman DOES NOT want sex, a man
>who reads "Playboy" regularly and intensively will probably get
>angry and confused and accuse her of being a tease.

>It seems to me that
>the attitude that "Violence is uncool, but 'Playboy' isn't
>violence and is therefore justifiable entertainment" misses a
>great deal of the subtlety behind this form of pornography.

 [ and several more paragraphs that reinforce the same idea ]

Ellen, I agree with your comments that the image presented in Playboy
is ridiculously unrealistic, and I think I can see your real concern
that men will believe it.  But not all men do, any more than they believe
what they see on television or in films.

An important question is: given that Playboy's sort of pornography is
misleading, what should be done to correct the problem?  Should we ban it,
or should we try to educate people?  And if banning it is the correct
solution, should we not also immediately ban most TV commercials on the
same grounds?  Or maybe most TV programs too.

Should I not ask that all John Wayne movies be permanently
banned, on the grounds that they present an unrealistic and even dangerous
image of what a man should be like?  Aren't Clint Eastwood movies even better
candidates for banning?

I agree that there is a problem.  I don't think that censorship is the
answer in this case.  Do you?  If so, how is this case different from
the other examples I mention?

sophie@mnetor.UUCP (Sophie Quigley) (09/09/85)

In article <10285@ucbvax.ARPA> spp@ucbvax.ARPA (Stephen P Pope) writes:

>     After reading Ellen Eades' recent postings I'd like
>to point out something that hasn't been mentioned here.
>That is, how the preoccupation with censorship that has
>arisen in the women's rights movement in the last few
>years has influenced the public's view of feminism.  It
>has influenced my view, and fairly negatively, and here's
>why.

It is a shame, but the "public" can be very easily manipulated
to believe almost anything.  The "media" (another strange entity)
seems to have made up its mind recently to prematurely bury
feminism by defamation and assertions that it has passed away.
Anyone who really wants to learn something about a certain
school of thought should really not rely on reader's digest
condensations of it but should instead go directly to the sources,
i.e in this case, feminist writings.  Having read a lot of feminist
material myself, I have found basically that there is not one
single issue on which all feminists agree (or did I miss it?).
I have seen all sorts of very good feminist analyses exploring all
kinds of important issues reaching very different conclusions.  This
does not mean that feminism is a philosophy that cannot make up its
mind, but simply that it is a philosophy that acknowledges the
complexity of life.

Anyway the reason for this preamble was to point out that there is not
ONE feminist position on censorship of pornography.  Of all the
issues I have seen discussed in feminist forums, censorship is probably
*the* issue where there is the most disagreement, and rightly so,
because it is such a thorny one.  Therefore, even though Andrea Dworkin
would really like to do so, she does *not* speak for all feminists.

>     I'm a liberal person, and I have always viewed
>feminism as a liberal cause, which I have always supported
>except for the radical fringe.  Censorship of pornography
>is pretty much a right-wing, moral-majority type
>of thing.

While I cannot agree with some frothing at the mouth that I have
seen coming from some anti-pornographers (?), I think that it is
too easy to dismiss the idea of censorship of pornography as you
did by calling it a "right-wing, moral majority type of thing".
A responsible society should be able to censor itself when not
doing so endangers the life of some of its members.  Pornography
does pause a real threat to women, and the solution to this threat
might just include some amount of censorship.

>     Ellen feels offended by all forms of pornography,
>including fairly mild examples such as Playboy.  This
>is her right.  This attitude seems to be more prevalent
>these days than in the past.  What Ellen and many others
>are really objecting to is the explicit portrayal of
>women as being sexually available, presumably to men.
>What Ellen may not realize is that she objects to people
>whose sexual preferences are different from her own.
>She realizes that there are people who are sexually
>entertained by something she finds offensive and disgusting,
>and this upsets her.  The mentality here is the same as
>that of people who object to homosexuals, on the basis
>that homosexuality is inherently disgusting.  This is
>narrow mindedness, pure and simple.

And I think the above is a cheap shot.  Who are you to decide
exactly what is in Ellen's mind?  It is one thing to object
to things one might consider disgusting even though it poses
no threat to oneself (such as homosexuality). It is another
to object to things that one considers pauses a personal threat.
I object to pornography for this reason.  It scares the hell out
of me to know that some person might read some of that crap and
decide to act out his fantasies on me against my will.  That
has NOTHING to do with what other people do in the privacy of their
own bedroom, it has to do with MY safety.

>     It's probably part of human nature that any given
>individual is unlikely to accept, at a personal level,
>all forms of sexual expression.  But it takes a heluva
>lot of nerve to claim that your preferred form of sexuality
>should be protected by law, and somebody else's should be
>banned.

Oh give us a break!  we all know that.  Nobody's objecting to
people's sexual preferences here, they're objecting to hate
litterature which endangers their safety.

>     I believe that this sexual intolerance is the real
>motivation behind the pro-censorship movement.  The
>other justifications -- linkage to criminal violence,
>association with illegal activities such as child
>pornography, and so on -- are pretty much rationalizations.

And I believe that your article is pretty much a rationalisation
to support the fact that you have a lifetime suscription to
Playboy, Penthouse and all sorts of other magazines showing little
children and women being cut up into little pieces while enjoying
it all, and YOU enjoy it all and you don't want anybody to spoil
your fun.  So there!

See, anybody can psychoanalyse anybody else if they want to and
dismiss their arguments without listening to them.  You are not
immune to it.  So if you don't want to be subject to this kind of
abuse why don't you practice what you preach and be a little
more tolerant of those you dismiss as intoleranty simply because
you don't want to bother listening to what they are saying.

>     So my advice, to those who are considering jumping
>on the anti-pornography bandwagon, is to think twice
>about what you are doing.  By attacking one of society's
>basic freedoms you are helping to discredit the entire
>women's rights movement.

Gee, and I thought the right to physical safety was one of our
society's basic rights too.  Sounds like some rights have to
be balanced out against others in some cases, eh? (<- I'm from Canada)

> And the movement is not doing as
>well as it was a few years ago.  I am not alone in my
>opinions, so I think this is something to consider.

Of course you are not alone in your opinion.  It certainly is
not an original one as I've pointed out above.  Ah, yes, how much
you care about the "movement"..  reminds me of Ken Arndt and how
much he "cares" about homosexuals.  With friends like that.....
--
Sophie Quigley
{allegra|decvax|ihnp4|linus|watmath}!utzoo!mnetor!sophie

apteryx@ucbvax.ARPA (Brian Peterson) (09/09/85)

> > With "Playboy"'s message that
> > all women want sex all the time goes the idea that it is all
> > right to give it to her.  When a woman DOES NOT want sex, a man
> > who reads "Playboy" regularly and intensively will probably get
> > angry and confused and accuse her of being a tease.
>
> I must admit that I don't read '"Playboy" regularly' but I've read a
> few over the years and I must say that I have *never* received this
> message.

I agree.

I believe that Ellen Eades etc. are improperly concluding that porn dehumanizes
and degrades women.  They seem to be concluding that because a man sees
some pictures of some women being sexy, the man will assume that all women
all of the time will want sex with him.  I think concluding that is wrong.
I think that readers of pornography (normal stuff like Playboy/girl)
>fantasize<, not "think" that some women some time will want sex with him.
I think most people know the difference between pictures and the actual
things pictured; they build a >fantasy< partner in their mind, >based< on the
sexual characteristics of the person in the picture.
Besides, magazines such as Playboy, in their interview questions and
biographies give info (such as hobbies, favourite literature, career
and school goals, favourite foods, moral and social values)
which have nothing to do with sex at all, and imply that the women
being pictured are real human people.  (BTW, they also talk about husbands,
boyfriends, children, etc. implying that the real people behind the
photographs are not only real humans, but unavailable :-)

(and on a tangent...)
Ellen Eades etc. seem to equate
"being >photographed< to satisfy others' sexual desires" with
"being thought of as >existing< >only< for sexual desires".
The purpose of pornography is to satisfy sexual interest.
It would be nifty if it were possible to photograph "a sex" without, in
the process, photographing women (or men, children, animals, or whatever).
However, sex implies/requires (pictures of) women.  This does not mean
the inverse (women imply sex), which certain people are wrongly concluding.
If someone saw a knitting magazine (for example) which pictured women knitting
things, should they then conclude that all women knit, and that women only
exist for knitting?  (I hope not :-)  But Ellen Eades seems to be
claiming that readers of Playboy are stupid enough to make a similar
conclusion.
That is where I think Ellen Eades is wrong.

> > Pornography never presents an image of a woman saying 'no' and
> > meaning it.  Thus the idea that women never do mean 'no' is
> > encouraged.

If it did present such an image, it would be defeating the purpose!
The above conclusion does not follow.  And anyway, if that kind of
thinking were applied to other realms, we would have to ban all
fiction (and any communications dealing with only one aspect of a topic)
because someone reading it might make horrible overgeneralizations.

Brian Peterson

scott@scirtp.UUCP (Scott Crenshaw) (09/10/85)

> But seriously, I suggest this rule: Anyone who contributes an article
> concerning pornography must give examples or otherwise specify what
> they consider to be pornography and what they consider to be erotica.

	Good idea !  I think that sample photographs of what they consider
pornography should be distributed along with it. Just so we know what
they're talking about . . .
--
	   Scott Crenshaw		{akgua,decvax}!mcnc!rti-sel!scirtp
	   SCI Systems , Inc. 		Research Triangle Park, NC

The views represented may or may not be those of my employer.

fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) (09/11/85)

>> But seriously, I suggest this rule: Anyone who contributes an article
>> concerning pornography must give examples or otherwise specify what
>> they consider to be pornography and what they consider to be erotica.

This statement is redundant.  Erotica is a subset of pornography.
This is why I do not favor a catagorical ban on pornography.

	Frank Silbermann

spp@ucbvax.ARPA (Stephen P Pope) (09/18/85)

Sophie Quigley responds to my posting.

>Anyone who really wants to learn something about a certain
>school of thought should really not rely on reader's digest
>condensations of it but should instead go directly to the sources,

I consider myself reasonably well-read and well-informed on
the subject.  And I don't think my "ignorance" led to any
misstatements in my original posting.  And in your reply you
don't point any out.  So what IS your point here?

>>except for the radical fringe.  Censorship of pornography
>>is pretty much a right-wing, moral-majority type
>>of thing.
>
>While I cannot agree with some frothing at the mouth that I have
>seen coming from some anti-pornographers (?), I think that it is
>too easy to dismiss the idea of censorship of pornography as you
>did by calling it a "right-wing, moral majority type of thing".
>A responsible society should be able to censor itself when not
>doing so endangers the life of some of its members.  Pornography
>does pause a real threat to women, and the solution to this threat
>might just include some amount of censorship.

A responsible society should be able to censor itself?
As for pornography posing a real threat to women, I don't
buy it.  Rather, it is society's prudish, moralizing attitudes
towards sex that pose a threat to women.
    As others on this net have pointed out, violence against
women is highest in countries (such as the Soviet Union)
with the strictest censorship.  Countries such as Sweden with
little or no censorship have the lowest rates
of violence againstr women.  If viewing pornography might
cause a marginally stable individual to go out and commit
a sex crime (and this hasn't been demonstrated) it is probably
tracable to his moralistic upbringing and conflicts related
thereto.  But arguing these issues was not the point of
my posting.

>>and this upsets her.  The mentality here is the same as
>>that of people who object to homosexuals, on the basis
>>that homosexuality is inherently disgusting.  This is
>>narrow mindedness, pure and simple.
>
>And I think the above is a cheap shot.  Who are you to decide
>exactly what is in Ellen's mind?  It is one thing to object
>to things one might consider disgusting even though it poses
>no threat to oneself (such as homosexuality). It is another
>to object to things that one considers pauses a personal threat.

Clearly you don't regard reading pornography as a valid
form of entertainment, as oppposed to whatever it is
you do for sexual pleasure.  You feel that pornography
is a personal threat.  I'm sure Jerry Falwell feels that
he is personally threatened by the mere existence of
homosexuals, and that their existence is degrading to
all men.  I stand by my analogy, I think it is a good one
and explains a lot about the attitudes of people like you.

>>all forms of sexual expression.  But it takes a heluva
>>lot of nerve to claim that your preferred form of sexuality
>>should be protected by law, and somebody else's should be
>>banned.
>
>Oh give us a break!  we all know that.  Nobody's objecting to
>people's sexual preferences here, they're objecting to hate
>litterature which endangers their safety.

Well, pornography isn't "hate literature".
It's designed to entertain horny men, nothing more.

>And I believe that your article is pretty much a rationalisation
>to support the fact that you have a lifetime suscription to

Are you challenging me to throw out a guess as to what
you do to bring yourself to orgasm?  You were wrong in
my case.  Netnews custom to the contrary, I won't respond in kind.

>be balanced out against others in some cases, eh? (<- I'm from Canada)

Maybe that explains something.  Lousy as the public school
systems are in the U.S., they do pound a few basic things
into your head such as respect for freedom of the press.

>not an original one as I've pointed out above.  Ah, yes, how much
>you care about the "movement"..  reminds me of Ken Arndt and how
>much he "cares" about homosexuals.  With friends like that.....

I don't know of the reference to Ken Arndt.
    The point of my posting, really, was to say, "Nobody's
raised the issue on the net yet that this right-wing
pro-censorship stuff is eroding feminism's liberal
base of support."
    I believe Sophie is underscoring this point for me.
She probably wouldn't write off an otherwise loyal
feminist just because they were against censorship,
but because I'm male, and tried to dig a little deeper
into the background of the pro-censorship movement,
she writes me off instantly.  Wonderful.

steve pope

     (BTW, the "ground rule" that led to this
exchange was to discuss new topics, not to rehash the
same emotion-laden arguments.)

mcgeer@ucbvax.ARPA (Rick McGeer) (09/19/85)

In article <2061@mnetor.UUCP> sophie@mnetor.UUCP (Sophie Quigley) writes:
>In article <10285@ucbvax.ARPA> spp@ucbvax.ARPA (Stephen P Pope) writes:
>>
>>     After reading Ellen Eades' recent postings I'd like
>>to point out something that hasn't been mentioned here.
>>That is, how the preoccupation with censorship that has
>>arisen in the women's rights movement in the last few
>>years has influenced the public's view of feminism.  It
>>has influenced my view, and fairly negatively, and here's
>>why.
>
>It is a shame, but the "public" can be very easily manipulated
>to believe almost anything.

Well, as a member of the public I believe that statements like this are a
crock.  I can't find anybody who admits to being manipulated: I *can* find
people who believe that other people are being manipulated, generally because
they don't like what other people believe.  This is a very nasty form of
elitism, which should be squelched at every opportunity; one can justify all
sorts of petty tyrannies -- and grand tyrannies as well -- by arguing that
"the people" never used their freedom, they were being manipulated, anyway.

>The "media" (another strange entity)
>seems to have made up its mind recently to prematurely bury
>feminism by defamation and assertions that it has passed away.

Evidence?

>i.e in this case, feminist writings.  Having read a lot of feminist
>material myself, I have found basically that there is not one
>single issue on which all feminists agree (or did I miss it?).

Try the ERA?

>>     I'm a liberal person, and I have always viewed
>>feminism as a liberal cause, which I have always supported
>>except for the radical fringe.  Censorship of pornography
>>is pretty much a right-wing, moral-majority type
>>of thing.
>
>While I cannot agree with some frothing at the mouth that I have
>seen coming from some anti-pornographers (?), I think that it is
>too easy to dismiss the idea of censorship of pornography as you
>did by calling it a "right-wing, moral majority type of thing".
>A responsible society should be able to censor itself when not
>doing so endangers the life of some of its members.  Pornography
>does pause a real threat to women, and the solution to this threat
>might just include some amount of censorship.

Well, there may not be a standard position of feminists on the issue of
pornography, but this comes pretty close.  And it's still wrong.  Nobody
ever got hurt by a picture, a cop show, or a newspaper article.  People
get raped and killed by jerks and thugs, generally employing knives or guns.
The jerks may claim to be inspired by movies, records (it's thought that the
Night Stalker was "inspired" by an AC/DC album), but the bottom line is that
they pull the trigger or wield the blade.  Not the album.  Not the magazine.
The jerk.  So the solution is to lock these guys up and toss away the key,
not go after the publisher.

Even if there were good evidence to support the claim that "porn is the theory
and rape is the practice", censorship would still be wrong.  It's a terrible
precedent.  What happens when we find out that lefty papers inspire terror
bombings?  Do we ban them, too?

Either you have freedom of speech or you don't.  Personally, I think we
oughta keep it.  Defend the First Amendment, while you still have the right to.

							-- Rick.

barry@ames.UUCP (Kenn Barry) (09/22/85)

From Sophie Quigley (mnetor!sophie):
>A responsible society should be able to censor itself when not
>doing so endangers the life of some of its members.  Pornography
>does pause a real threat to women, and the solution to this threat
>might just include some amount of censorship.

	Haven't you skipped the step where you show that pornography endangers
the life of some women? Without concrete evidence of that, there is no link
between censoring of pornography and protection by society of its members.

>>What Ellen may not realize is that she objects to people
>>whose sexual preferences are different from her own.
>>She realizes that there are people who are sexually
>>entertained by something she finds offensive and disgusting,
>>and this upsets her.  The mentality here is the same as
>>that of people who object to homosexuals, on the basis
>>that homosexuality is inherently disgusting.  This is
>>narrow mindedness, pure and simple. [Stephen Pope]
>
>And I think the above is a cheap shot.  Who are you to decide
>exactly what is in Ellen's mind?  It is one thing to object
>to things one might consider disgusting even though it poses
>no threat to oneself (such as homosexuality). It is another
>to object to things that one considers pauses a personal threat.
>I object to pornography for this reason.  It scares the hell out
>of me to know that some person might read some of that crap and
>decide to act out his fantasies on me against my will.  That
>has NOTHING to do with what other people do in the privacy of their
>own bedroom, it has to do with MY safety.

	Sorry, but you don't get the right to outlaw something just because it
scares you; you have to demonstrate the danger. The distinction you make
between your fear of pornography and someone else's fear of homosexuals is no
doubt clear to you, but it isn't to me. Don't you think homophobes consider
gays a threat to society and their families? Many of them will say things
like, "I don't care what they do to each other in their bedrooms, but don't
let 'em near my kids!" There is a considerable body of mythology about the
threat to children presented by gays, and homophobes are as anxious to
convince us that gays are a "real threat", as you are to convince us of the
threat of pornography. But, what is your evidence?

>>     It's probably part of human nature that any given
>>individual is unlikely to accept, at a personal level,
>>all forms of sexual expression.  But it takes a heluva
>>lot of nerve to claim that your preferred form of sexuality
>>should be protected by law, and somebody else's should be
>>banned.
>
>Oh give us a break!  we all know that.  Nobody's objecting to
>people's sexual preferences here, they're objecting to hate
>litterature which endangers their safety.

	Fine; I understand your reasoning. But I question your premise. Show
me the danger of pornography.

>>     I believe that this sexual intolerance is the real
>>motivation behind the pro-censorship movement.  The
>>other justifications -- linkage to criminal violence,
>>association with illegal activities such as child
>>pornography, and so on -- are pretty much rationalizations.
>
>And I believe that your article is pretty much a rationalisation
>to support the fact that you have a lifetime suscription to
>Playboy, Penthouse and all sorts of other magazines showing little
>children and women being cut up into little pieces while enjoying
>it all, and YOU enjoy it all and you don't want anybody to spoil
>your fun.  So there!
>See, anybody can psychoanalyse anybody else if they want to and
>dismiss their arguments without listening to them.  You are not
>immune to it.  So if you don't want to be subject to this kind of
>abuse why don't you practice what you preach and be a little
>more tolerant of those you dismiss as intoleranty simply because
>you don't want to bother listening to what they are saying.

	Proscription of things not known to be harmful is an intolerant act.
Whether or not Mr. Pope is right in his conclusions about the motives of those
who want to ban porn, he has reason to be suspicious. There is no more
evidence of porn causing attacks on women or children than there is of
homosexuality being harmful to society. If it's not the evidence that has
convinced the anti-porn lobbies of the evil of porn, we have every right to
suspect some hidden agenda.

-  From the Crow's Nest  -                      Kenn Barry
                                                NASA-Ames Research Center
                                                Moffett Field, CA
 	USENET:		 {ihnp4,vortex,dual,hao,menlo70,hplabs}!ames!barry

jeff@rtech.UUCP (Jeff Lichtman) (09/22/85)

> Pornography
> does pause a real threat to women, and the solution to this threat
> might just include some amount of censorship...
>
> It is one thing to object
> to things one might consider disgusting even though it poses
> no threat to oneself (such as homosexuality). It is another
> to object to things that one considers pauses a personal threat.
> I object to pornography for this reason.  It scares the hell out
> of me to know that some person might read some of that crap and
> decide to act out his fantasies on me against my will.  That
> has NOTHING to do with what other people do in the privacy of their
> own bedroom, it has to do with MY safety...
>
> Nobody's objecting to
> people's sexual preferences here, they're objecting to hate
> literature which endangers their safety...
>
> Gee, and I thought the right to physical safety was one of our
> society's basic rights too.  Sounds like some rights have to
> be balanced out against others in some cases, eh?
>
> --
> Sophie Quigley

A man is such a simple machine.  If you put pornography in one end and turn
the crank a little, rape will come out the other end.

Pornography is not like yelling "Fire!" in a crowded theater.  In the latter
case, there is a direct cause and effect relationship between speech and
people getting hurt, so that type of speech must be restricted.  That is, it is
obviously nearly impossible that this behavior would not lead to people rushing
out of the theater in a panic.  In the former case, all you can say is that
someone *might* read some pornography and then try out some of his fantasies
on you.  I say that if a man rapes, he has made a concious decision to do so
(barring mental illness), and that the pornography is neither necessary nor
sufficient to produce the effect.
which *might* lead to rape or other forms of violence.
--
Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
"Saints should always be judged guilty until they are proved innocent..."

{amdahl, sun}!rtech!jeff
{ucbvax, decvax}!mtxinu!rtech!jeff

sophie@mnetor.UUCP (Sophie Quigley) (09/26/85)

In article <10423@ucbvax.ARPA> spp@ucbvax.ARPA (Stephen P Pope) writes:

>Sophie Quigley responds to my posting.
>
>>Anyone who really wants to learn something about a certain
>>school of thought should really not rely on reader's digest
>>condensations of it but should instead go directly to the sources,
>
>I consider myself reasonably well-read and well-informed on
>the subject.  And I don't think my "ignorance" led to any
>misstatements in my original posting.  And in your reply you
>don't point any out.  So what IS your point here?

The point I was making (clearly I thought) was that there is not ONE
feminist position on censorship of pornography.  What I've noticed
from reading feminist litterature is that this issue is creating a
split in the feminist community.  The next point I was making is that
"the media" has been ignoring the voices of anti-censorship feminists.
(I did say both of these things.  I don't know how much clearer I can
make my point).  Therefore, all I was trying to say is that you shouldn't
rely on the popular media to get a deep understanding on feminist ideas,
just like you shouldn't rely on the popular media to get an understanding
of what hackers are.  If you believe that media, all of us hackers are
criminals and feminists are all pro-censorship.

>>While I cannot agree with some frothing at the mouth that I have
>>seen coming from some anti-pornographers (?), I think that it is
>>too easy to dismiss the idea of censorship of pornography as you
>>did by calling it a "right-wing, moral majority type of thing".
>>A responsible society should be able to censor itself when not
>>doing so endangers the life of some of its members.  Pornography
>>does pause a real threat to women, and the solution to this threat
>>might just include some amount of censorship.
>
>A responsible society should be able to censor itself?

Yes, and it doesn't and that is very unfortunate because we do not have
a responsible society.  Whether the *state* should enforce censorship is
another issue.  The point I was trying to make (awkwardly - my fault)
is that some rights have to be weighed out against others, and I do not
find it inconceivable that in a "perfect" society, pornography would not
exist because people would realise that its benefits are not worth the pain
that it creates.  How we achieve such a society, I don't know.

>As for pornography posing a real threat to women, I don't
>buy it.  Rather, it is society's prudish, moralizing attitudes
>towards sex that pose a threat to women.

It is both.

>    As others on this net have pointed out, violence against
>women is highest in countries (such as the Soviet Union)
>with the strictest censorship.  Countries such as Sweden with
>little or no censorship have the lowest rates
>of violence againstr women.  If viewing pornography might
>cause a marginally stable individual to go out and commit
>a sex crime (and this hasn't been demonstrated) it is probably
>tracable to his moralistic upbringing and conflicts related
>thereto.  But arguing these issues was not the point of
>my posting.

It wasn't the point of my posting either.  The reason I posted was that I
was incensed by the atmosphere of insensitivity that surrounds this whole
issue.  I do not believe in censorship either, but I cannot respect people
who will refuse to acknowledge the negative feelings that some pronography
causes some people.  All pornography is not equal, some of it is harmless
and even stupid, some of it is fun, but there is also some of it which is
very depressing.  All I would like is for anti-censorship people to say:
"yes we realise that pornography hurts, but we really don't think that
censorship is going to solve the problem" instead of "if pornography hurts
you, it's because you are sexually repressed and you simply want to impose
your prudishness on other people".  All I would like is some more compassion,
and I don't see much of it (except from Sherry, who of course was attacked
for it).

>>And I think the above is a cheap shot.  Who are you to decide
>>exactly what is in Ellen's mind?  It is one thing to object
>>to things one might consider disgusting even though it poses
>>no threat to oneself (such as homosexuality). It is another
>>to object to things that one considers pauses a personal threat.
>
>Clearly you don't regard reading pornography as a valid
>form of entertainment, as oppposed to whatever it is
>you do for sexual pleasure.  You feel that pornography
>is a personal threat.  I'm sure Jerry Falwell feels that
>he is personally threatened by the mere existence of
>homosexuals, and that their existence is degrading to
>all men.  I stand by my analogy, I think it is a good one
>and explains a lot about the attitudes of people like you.

I don't care about whether pornography is a valid form of entertainment
or not.  (Actually, I have bought some pornography (gay) and got some good
giggles out of it, so I guess it was entertaining).  But yes, I do feel
threatened by some pornography, and some of it makes me very depressed.
I don't know about "people like me" and their attitudes, but I don't see
why you had to make personnal attacks against people who had a different
opinion from yours.
Maybe you felt threatened by them...

>>Oh give us a break!  we all know that.  Nobody's objecting to
>>people's sexual preferences here, they're objecting to hate
>>litterature which endangers their safety.
>
>Well, pornography isn't "hate literature".
>It's designed to entertain horny men, nothing more.

Well some people see it as "hate litterature" and that's why they want it
banned, not because they don't agree with the form of sexual expression.
You see, you are doing it again: you are refusing to listen to other people's
opinions on pornography.  Some pornography is obviously hateful of women.  Why
are you refusing to admit this?  Admitting this does not entail that you have
to be pro-censorship.

>>be balanced out against others in some cases, eh? (<- I'm from Canada)
>
>Maybe that explains something.  Lousy as the public school
>systems are in the U.S., they do pound a few basic things
>into your head such as respect for freedom of the press.

Yeah, but do they explain why?  Is this "respect" based on actual caring for
the welfare of society and its members or is it just one of those wonderful
slogans that makes one feel proud to be free to be proud to live in the
greatest (and freeest and proudest) country in the world?

>    The point of my posting, really, was to say, "Nobody's
>raised the issue on the net yet that this right-wing
>pro-censorship stuff is eroding feminism's liberal
>base of support."

I think this is a very good point.  I just wish you hadn't surrounded it
with all the other garbage and personnal attacks against pro-censorship
feminists.  Yes, I worry about this too, but as I explained a few times
I see this more as an outside misrepresentation of feminism than anything
else because I really don't see feminist being united in this issue at all.
One would hope that people who care about these issues would care enough
to distrust the media's portrayal of (anything in general, but more
particularly) the feminist community's opinion on the matter.  That is
probably very wishful thinking however.

>    I believe Sophie is underscoring this point for me.
(well, actually, I think you did a pretty good job of underscoring it
for yourself.  <-:)

>She probably wouldn't write off an otherwise loyal
>feminist just because they were against censorship,

I hope not, I'd have to write myself off.  Until very recently, I was very
annoyed by this issue and refused to have a position on it because a/ I believe
that there were more important feminist topics to worry about and b/ I didn't
like any of the arguments I had heard from either the feminist pro-censorship
side or the liberal anti-censorship side (and of course not the right-wing-
protect-our-women's-purity side either).  However, I have recently been exposed
to some feminist anti-censorship positions which do not attempt to excuse
pornography, and do not dismiss the problem and pain as imaginary, but who
simply and reasonnably adress the issue of whether censorship is an appropriate
reaction to this problem (and come out concluding that it isn't).  I am
convinced.

>but because I'm male, and tried to dig a little deeper
>into the background of the pro-censorship movement,
>she writes me off instantly.  Wonderful.

I don't think you dug deep enough.  All you did was slander, and that's what
I objected to.  My opinion is that a pro-censorship attitude is a very
understandable reaction to the feeling of threat that pornography causes,
but that one must move beyond that position and realise that censorship would
create more problems than it would solve, because it would almost certainly
be used against the exact people it was supposedly meant to protect.
Actually some men have already said this on the net.  I didn't object.

--

In article <10429@ucbvax.ARPA> mcgeer@ucbvax.UUCP (Rick McGeer) writes:
>In article <2061@mnetor.UUCP> sophie@mnetor.UUCP (Sophie Quigley) writes:
>>The "media" (another strange entity)
>>seems to have made up its mind recently to prematurely bury
>>feminism by defamation and assertions that it has passed away.
>
>Evidence?

Defamation: that all feminists are pro-censorship.
Assertions of death: well I don't know about you, but in the last few
years I have seen enough articles in magazines about the "death" of
feminism to believe that there is a trend in that kind of reporting.

>>i.e in this case, feminist writings.  Having read a lot of feminist
>>material myself, I have found basically that there is not one
>>single issue on which all feminists agree (or did I miss it?).
>
>Try the ERA?

Ok, good one.  Equal pay for equal work is another good one.  I can't
think of too many more.

>>>     I'm a liberal person, and I have always viewed
>>>feminism as a liberal cause, which I have always supported
>>>except for the radical fringe.  Censorship of pornography
>>>is pretty much a right-wing, moral-majority type
>>>of thing.
>>
>>While I cannot agree with some frothing at the mouth that I have
>>seen coming from some anti-pornographers (?), I think that it is
>>too easy to dismiss the idea of censorship of pornography as you
>>did by calling it a "right-wing, moral majority type of thing".
>>A responsible society should be able to censor itself when not
>>doing so endangers the life of some of its members.  Pornography
>>does pause a real threat to women, and the solution to this threat
>>might just include some amount of censorship.
>
>Well, there may not be a standard position of feminists on the issue of
>pornography, but this comes pretty close.  And it's still wrong.  Nobody

Well, then you seem to *freely* believe what the media has told you.
Feminists are divided on this issue: even though Andrea Dworkin and
Catharine MacKinnon are pro-censorship, Robin Morgan, Erica Jong, and
Carol Vance (the ones I can remember for sure) are against it.  An organisation
called FACT ( Feminist Anti-Censorship Task Force ) fought the Minneapolis
ordinance.  Many feminists (or at least those who express themselves by
writing) have had the opportunity to see the effect of censorship laws
on themselves and are thus very aware of the dangers of such laws.  For
a good collection of articles on the matter, I recommend the book "Women
against Censorship" edited by Varda Burstein.  You might be interested in
the april 1985 issue of Ms "Is one woman's sexuality another woman's
pornography" and the September 1978 issue of Ms: "How to run the
pornographers out of town and preserve the first amendment" by Robin Morgan.

>Either you have freedom of speech or you don't.  Personally, I think we
>oughta keep it.  Defend the First Amendment, while you still have the right to.
>
>							-- Rick.

Well, unlike you, I heven't moved to the state yet Rick.  No first amendment
for us.
--

mfs@mhuxr.UUCP (Marcel F. Simon) (09/29/85)

>, > >>  == Sophie Quigley
> >>                                               ....  Pornography
> >>does pause a real threat to women, and the solution to this threat
> >>might just include some amount of censorship.
>
>                                                        ... and I do not
> find it inconceivable that in a "perfect" society, pornography would not
> exist because people would realise that its benefits are not worth the pain
> that it creates.

You have not given your own definition of pornography. What exact depictions
do you hold to be a threat: kiddie porn (already illegal as child abuse and
rape)? Sado-Masochism, imposed (in which case it becomes assault, battery,
rape...) or consensual? Homosexual, bisexual or heterosexual intercourse?
How do all these pose a threst and cause pain?

>                                       ...  The reason I posted was that I
> was incensed by the atmosphere of insensitivity that surrounds this whole
> issue.  I do not believe in censorship either, but I cannot respect people
> who will refuse to acknowledge the negative feelings that some pronography
> causes some people.  All pornography is not equal, some of it is harmless
> and even stupid, some of it is fun, but there is also some of it which is
> very depressing.  All I would like is for anti-censorship people to say:
> "yes we realise that pornography hurts, but we really don't think that
> censorship is going to solve the problem" instead of "if pornography hurts
> you, it's because you are sexually repressed and you simply want to impose
> your prudishness on other people".  All I would like is some more compassion,
> and I don't see much of it (except from Sherry, who of course was attacked
> for it).

If "some of it" is "fun" or "stupid" or "harmless," how come [all of]
"pornography hurts?"

The context of this discussion is the desirability of banning pornography.
I have strenuously pointed out that pornography must first be legally
defined. Then its negative effect on the social order must be demonstrated.
Only then can a discussion of the putative benefits of a ban begin.
The above paragraph asks the net to agree that porn is bad and implies that
those who will not do so are just insensitive clods. Come on now, you
know better than that.

Someone on the net wrote to the effect that her goal concerning pornography
is to make it less "socially acceptable." That is a pefectly valid way of
expressing oneself. If you feel that pornography hurts you, take whatever
action is necessary: attend town, county or borough government meetings where
zoning laws, building permits, retailer's licenses and the like are debated
or issued. State your objections. Lobby your elected representatives. In other
words, follow the path to political change provided by a democracy. However,
if your position is not enacted, do not complain of a male conspiracy, and
do not demand compassion for a cause that has been democratically lost. If
you or organizations representing you are unwilling to do the necessary
legwork, why are you complaining?

> Well some people see it as "hate litterature" and that's why they want it
> banned, not because they don't agree with the form of sexual expression.

Do you think Nazi or Communist literature should be banned?

>            ...  Some pornography is obviously hateful of women.  Why
> are you refusing to admit this?  Admitting this does not entail that you have
> to be pro-censorship.

OK, some pornography is hateful of women. So what?

Marcel Simon

mcgeer@ucbvax.ARPA (Rick McGeer) (09/30/85)

In article <2266@mnetor.UUCP> sophie@mnetor.UUCP (Sophie Quigley) writes:
>In article <10429@ucbvax.ARPA> mcgeer@ucbvax.UUCP (Rick McGeer) writes:
>>Either you have freedom of speech or you don't.  Personally, I think we
>>oughta keep it.  Defend the First Amendment, while you still have the right to.
>>
>>							-- Rick.
>
>Well, unlike you, I heven't moved to the state yet Rick.  No first amendment
>for us.
>--
>Sophie Quigley

No.  You have the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, which guarantees you the
right to free speech -- except for those restrictions found reasonable in
a democratic society, I think the wording is...not to mention that clause that
gives the provinces the right to declare any law exempt from the Charter.  Not
to mention a court system that's got a hundred years of subservience to
Parliament.  And not to mention a bunch of pretty powerful groups that aren't
overly happy with the Charter, like the PQ government, or most provinces'
Human Rights Boards...

If I still lived in Canada, I'd be a little worried about all of that, and a
little less enthusiastic about censorship.  Aren't you?

					Rick.

spp@ucbvax.ARPA (Stephen P Pope) (10/01/85)

> Sophie Quigley

> The point I was making (clearly I thought) was that there is not ONE
> feminist position on censorship of pornography.  What I've noticed
> from reading feminist litterature is that this issue is creating a
> split in the feminist community.  The next point I was making is that
> "the media" has been ignoring the voices of anti-censorship feminists.
> (I did say both of these things.  I don't know how much clearer I can
> make my point).  Therefore, all I was trying to say is that you shouldn't
> rely on the popular media to get a deep understanding on feminist ideas,
> just like you shouldn't rely on the popular media to get an understanding

Yes you stated these points clearly.  My own (limited by your
standards) exposure to feminist writing on pornography hasn't
given me the impression that there is much PUBLISHED by
feminists who take the position that censorship is a far worse
evil than pornography.  Perhaps such views are expressed in
private forums.  If so it's time to give them more press.

>   All I would like is for anti-censorship people to say:
> "yes we realise that pornography hurts, but we really don't think that
> censorship is going to solve the problem" instead of "if pornography hurts
> you, it's because you are sexually repressed and you simply want to impose
> your prudishness on other people".  All I would like is some more compassion,

I happen to not believe that pornography hurts.  I allow that there
is a small fraction of society who feels harmed by it.
My compassion extends to most such people, but I find some of
the pro-censorship attitudes repulsive, whatever their cause.

> >>And I think the above is a cheap shot.  Who are you to decide

> I don't know about "people like me" and their attitudes, but I don't see
> why you had to make personnal attacks against people who had a different
> opinion from yours.
> Maybe you felt threatened by them...

I'll retract the statement in question since it does come off as
a personal attack.  I maintain however that my analogy between
homophobes and pro-censors does APPEAR to explain certain
pro-censor attitudes.
    And damn right I feel threatened.  I see the pendulum
swinging further and further to the right.  I don't like it,
and, and after a brief and polite interval of initial patience,
I'm not likely to have much compassion for anyone defending the
actions of the extreme right-wing.

> You see, you are doing it again: you are refusing to listen to other people's
> opinions on pornography.  Some pornography is obviously hateful of women.  Why
> are you refusing to admit this?  Admitting this does not entail that you have
> to be pro-censorship.

I suggest that if you delinieated what you find "obviously
hateful" about some pornography, I would find that 99 percent
of what you describe results from your personal objection to depiction
of certain sexual practices.  This assumes your objections
are along the lines of those of Gloria Steinham, Susan
Griffin and others.

> One would hope that people who care about these issues would care enough
> to distrust the media's portrayal of (anything in general, but more
> particularly) the feminist community's opinion on the matter.  That is
> probably very wishful thinking however.

I tend to think that I am entitled to my opinions even if I have
no knowledge of whether the opposition is a vocal one percent of
self-described feminists or the entire population of the country.
     Seriously, perhaps I am not totally familiar with the various
feminist positions on pornography.  Perhaps you, Sophie, are
not totally familiar with the history and practice of censorship
in the U.S.  Feminist writings you no doubt
would never advocate censoring would indeed be censored if the
situation reverted to that of the early twentieth century.
Why help turn back the clock?  ANY form of censorship requires
empowering someone to decide what should be banned.  Nobody
should be given that power.

steve pope

guest@ccivax.UUCP (What's in a name ?) (10/24/85)

> In article <10429@ucbvax.ARPA> mcgeer@ucbvax.UUCP (Rick McGeer) writes:
> >In article <2061@mnetor.UUCP> sophie@mnetor.UUCP (Sophie Quigley) writes:
>
> Ok, good one.  Equal pay for equal work is another good one.  I can't
> think of too many more.
> >
> >>Pornography
> >>does pause a real threat to women, and the solution to this threat
> >>might just include some amount of censorship.

I'm not sure how normal people reading pornography poses a threat to
women.  Rapists tend to be abnormal and with or without pornography,
they will vent sexual frustrations in abnormal ways.  The only threat
I see at the moment is the male who attempts to coerce his partner
into fulfilling pornographic fantasies.  Normally, this would be
a problem for married or cohabitating couples.

Perhaps the real issue, rather than the availibilty and content of
pornography, is the rights of a woman.  In Colorado the successful
conviction of a husband for raping his wife was big news.  Should
a husband be able to force his wife to fulfill fantisies picked up
from pornography?  Should a wife have the right to fulfilment of
her fantisies?  Shouldn't both be aware of each others preferrences
BEFORE they get married?

Sexual preferrences (for men, I don't know about women) seem to be formed
at a very early age, usually around 2 or 3 when the child is out of
diapers and can stimulate themselves.  At that point, anything may be
considered pornography.  By age 5, the sexual preferrences are fairly
well refined.  Even a sears catalog (ladies or mens wear) can be
erotica to a person deprived of all other sources.  Fetishists,
transvestites, and dominants/submissives frequently start this way.
They are also less likely to discuss their preferrences because of
the repression which caused these peculiar tastes in the first place.

> Feminists are divided on this issue: even though Andrea Dworkin and
> Catharine MacKinnon are pro-censorship, Robin Morgan, Erica Jong, and
> Carol Vance (the ones I can remember for sure) are against it.

There are feminists who actually maintain the superiority of women and
promote female domination of men in porn publications run by women.
In fact, the arguments of such authors is quite convincing.  Of course,
the objective of most feminists is equal opportunity isn't it?  Can
you outlaw female submissives without outlawing female dominants?

opinions are not those of CCI and are subject to change.
rb@ccitv2