[net.women] Marriage in "Th' Good Ol' Days"

frye@cuuxb.UUCP (frye) (10/08/85)

I'm really not as old as I claim to be in some of my "off
the wall" postings. I turned 33 just about a week or so ago.
Reading a posting on the topic made me remember a few tails
I've heard about wifebeaters and child abusers. These stories
were told to me by my parents and grandparents.

Seems there were a few cases of child and wife beatings back
then that didn't make the public record and the local papers.
There was a lady my mother knew who waited 'til the ol' son
of a snake went to sleep it off. She proceeded to sew him in
the sheets and beat him with an ax handle. He remebered from
then on that he would eventually have to pay for his foolish-
ness and cruelty. He didn't beat her or the kids any more.
There was another lady who used a similar means to end her
grief with the old man. She sewed him in and poured hot bacon
grease in his ears. Willie Nelson says he had to learn the hard
way from his first wife. He quit coming home drunk and beating
his wife after she sewed him in the bed and made a messy paste out
of him. But, she made doubly sure it would never happen again.
She took off with all his clothes and the car too. My folks also
spoke of women who's brothers took care of the problem "inlaw"
who beat their little sister. I personally wouldn't let any ass
beat on a sister of mine without shooting him in both knees and
both elbows before I killed him. But, I doubt I'll ever have to
do that because my sister can come up with enough tortures of her
own to handle the situation. Yeah, I can learn a lot from my
folks by just asking. They even told me about how rolling pins
and cast iron skillets were employed as attitude adjusters for
abusive husbands/fathers.

There wasn't anything that was all that great about the so called
good old days but, then people didn't figure the law was gonna
get there quick enough to do 'em any good. Now, people won't do
a damned thing to help protect themselves. People back then would.
I think its about time the trend away from the old philosophy was
halted. Its time for everyone to take a couple of steps toward
knowing how to bust someone's head instead of letting the jerk
be abusive and cruel.

Anybody got any feedback along these lines? Mail or post, I don't
care  which...

I'm for attitude adjustment (right on top of the head with a
sawed of piece of piss-elm pick handle) for wife and child beaters.
That also goes for damned belligerant barroom brawlers.

This has been a public service anouncement from the Maplewood Mind
Moulders Association.                         Tom Frye    President

matt@oddjob.UUCP (Matt Crawford) (10/09/85)

Well, Tom, the "Good" old days of marital self-defense aren't
completely gone in Chicago.  At my previous apartment the
owners lived immediately downstairs.  The husband used to get
drunk frequently and begin some domestic violence.  Eventually
the wife shot him (non-fatally).  Since then they still yell
sometimes, but there's been no violence.

However, last year we saw their son outside on the corner
with his wife and he was threatening to kill her.  We called
the police and as far as I know nothing more has occurred.

The more things remain the same, the more they remain the same.
Change is, almost by definition, the only answer.
Matt		University	crawford@anl-mcs.arpa
Crawford	of Chicago	ihnp4!oddjob!matt

waltervj@dartvax.UUCP (walter jeffries) (10/13/85)

I'm for attitude adjustment (right on top of the head with a
sawed of piece of piss-elm pick handle) for wife and child beaters.
That also goes for damned belligerant barroom brawlers.

This has been a public service anouncement from the Maplewood Mind
Moulders Association.                         Tom Frye    President

What about husband beaters, Tom.  People, don't forget that Spouse Abuse goes
both ways.  More over it is a symptom of peoples lack of respect for others.
Your tails and solutions are not much better than the problem, Tom.
Unfortunately lifes not fair yet.  Let's work at promoting peace and solving
problems rather than getting revenge and creating more problems.  Don't get the
wrong idear here.  I'm not saying let anyone beat on you.  If you are attacked
then it is necessary to defend you and yours but getting revenge is not going
to help as milleniums of histories of feuds show.  After the attack you need to
concentrate on prevention, not revenge.

---  ---
<o > <o >
   /_
  -==-
  iiii                  -Walter.
                                     "Can anyone really hear me?"

terry@nrcvax.UUCP (Terry Grevstad) (10/14/85)

frye@cuuxb.UUCP (frye) says:
>I'm really not as old as I claim to be in some of my "off
>the wall" postings. I turned 33 just about a week or so ago.
>Reading a posting on the topic made me remember a few tails
>I've heard about wifebeaters and child abusers. These stories
>were told to me by my parents and grandparents.
>
>Seems there were a few cases of child and wife beatings back
>then that didn't make the public record and the local papers.
>There was a lady my mother knew who waited 'til the ol' son
>of a snake went to sleep it off. She proceeded to sew him in
>the sheets and beat him with an ax handle. He remebered from
>then on that he would eventually have to pay for his foolish-
>ness and cruelty. He didn't beat her or the kids any more.
>
> (Numerous other examples.)
>
>I'm for attitude adjustment (right on top of the head with a
>sawed of piece of piss-elm pick handle) for wife and child beaters.
>That also goes for damned belligerant barroom brawlers.
>

>This has been a public service anouncement from the Maplewood Mind
>Moulders Association.                         Tom Frye    President

My great grandmother gave my grandmother, my mother, me and all my
sisters the same advice.  She said if her husband had ever come home
with "liquor on his breath" she would have tied him up in the sheets
and taken the cast iron skillet to him.  She let him know where she
stood and what she expected of him.  Since he died after about 7 years
of marriage, leaving her with five kids to support--which she did all
by herself, and then raised one of her son's kids too--I don't think
she ever had to do this, but I don't doubt that she would have.  She
was a feisty old lady, and I think you had to be to survive in that
day and age.

Ever hear of the "survivalist" theory?  Namely, that approximately one
quarter of the population will survive in a disaster situation
(earthquake, hurricane, volanco, war, etc.).  The theory goes that one
quarter of the population have the personality traits that allow them
to think on their feet, get things done, take advantage of every
opportunity, and basically survive.  The other three quarters have
nervous breakdowns, hysterically demand help from anyone else present,
or refuse to believe anything bad has happened and try to go about
their daily business even though their daily business isn't there any
more.

Speculation has it that because of welfare programs, various types of
support groups, psychology, etc., those non-survivors in the
population are increasing and putting a big drain on the survivors in
the population. (No flames please, I am not against welfare programs,
support groups or psychology.  This is just "speculation" after all.)

You see, non-survivors depend on survivors to keep them alive.  And
with all this "you-gotta-help-the-poor-and-underprivileged" stuff
around, survivors are getting the idea that they have to keep all
those non-survivors alive.  Well, I must admit, if I could help
someone who couldn't help themselves, I would.  However, when it comes
to bashing a third party's brains in just because a second party
doesn't want to do it themselves, I draw the line.  If they are too
stupid to defend themselves and/or leave, I wash my hands of them.

Give me my great grandmother's cast iron skillet any day.  You go take
care of your own household.
--
\"\t\f1A\h'+1m'\f4\(mo\h'+1m'\f1the\h'+1m'\f4\(es\t\f1\c

                                                       Terry Grevstad
                                         Network Research Corporation
                                                   ihnp4!nrcvax!terry
	                 {sdcsvax,hplabs}!sdcrdcf!psivax!nrcvax!terry
                                            ucbvax!calma!nrcvax!terry

flaps@utcs.uucp (Alan J Rosenthal) (10/18/85)

In article <3690@dartvax.UUCP> waltervj@dartvax.UUCP (walter jeffries) writes:
>What about husband beaters, Tom.  People, don't forget that Spouse Abuse goes
>both ways.

GIVE ME A BREAK!  How many couples do you know where the woman is significantly
stronger than the man?  A few perhaps.  In most of the rest, the man is
significantly stronger, and there is NO possibility of husband-beating.

Your kind of argument is very silly.  The MAIN social problem is wife-beating.

robert@fear.UUCP (Robert Plamondon) (10/21/85)

>> What about husband beaters, Tom.  People, don't forget that
>> Spouse Abuse goes both ways.

> GIVE ME A BREAK!  How many couples do you know where the woman is
> significantly stronger than the man?  A few perhaps.  In most of the
> rest, the man is significantly stronger, and there is NO possibility
> of husband-beating.

You're forgetting that Man is a tool-using animal. A rock, a branch,
or a Gatling gun can make a world of difference.

Besides, in cases of spouse abuse, the abused spouse generally
doesn't fight back.
--

		Robert Plamondon
		{turtlevax, resonex, cae780}!weitek!robert

todd@scirtp.UUCP (Todd Jones) (10/24/85)

> In article <3690@dartvax.UUCP> waltervj@dartvax.UUCP (walter jeffries) writes:
> >What about husband beaters, Tom.  People, don't forget that Spouse Abuse goes
> >both ways.
>
> GIVE ME A BREAK!  How many couples do you know where the woman is significantly
> stronger than the man?  A few perhaps.  In most of the rest, the man is
> significantly stronger, and there is NO possibility of husband-beating.
>
> Your kind of argument is very silly.  The MAIN social problem is wife-beating.

Two points:

	1. Abuse can take non-physical forms- emotional abuse, neglect, etc...

	2. Superior strength is non necessarily a deterent to abuse. Many
	   abused spouses (male and female) have the physical capability
	   to thwart an abusive partner but don't.

I think husband abuse may be more prevalent than we imagine.

   ||   || Ouch!
   [ O-@ ]/      Todd Jones
    \ ^ /        {decvax,akgua}!mcnc!rti-sel!scirtp!todd
    | ~ |
    |___|        SCI Systems Inc. doesn't necessarily agree with Todd.

fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) (10/27/85)

In article <923@utcs.uucp> flaps@utcs.UUCP (Alan J Rosenthal) writes:
>>What about husband beaters, Tom.  Don't forget that Spouse Abuse goes
>>both ways.
>
>GIVE ME A BREAK!  How many couples do you know where the woman is significantly
>stronger than the man?  A few perhaps.  In most of the rest, the man is
>significantly stronger, and there is NO possibility of husband-beating.

Among very aged couples, the wife is usually far stronger.
And yes, husband-beating is occationally a problem.  Victims
are usually too ashamed to complain, however.

	Frank Silbermann