[net.women] Censorship = Rape

wjr@x.UUCP (Bill Richard) (10/22/85)

This is STella Calvert, a guest on the account and a non-employee of the
organization I _still_ can't get out of the header.

In article <1171@rayssd.UUCP> hxe@rayssd.UUCP (Heather Emanuel) writes:

>                                        Most of the women who
>post or respond via personal mail to various posters have made it
>QUITE CLEAR that we view pornography as something that demeans us as
>a whole and offends us as individuals, NOT as "being interested in
>pretty women."

Heather, I don't mean this as a _personal_ attack.  But your claim that "we
view" pornography in a certain way reminded me that I've been intending to
post from a different perspective.

So OK, time for another view.

Let _me_ make it QUITE CLEAR that I like porn.

I like things that appeal to my prurient interests.

I'm not pruriently interested in torture, in graphic displays of dissection,
or in some of the other red herrings dragged through this group.  Though if
I were, I argue I would have the right to read about it.  (Not act it out
with unwilling participants, but READ about it.) But I enjoy
(yes, I mean get hot while reading!) sexual material.  And I will continue
to do so, whether I have to smuggle it in from a free country, buy it
locally, or sit down at the word processor and write it myself.

I am ready, willing, and (so far) able to use physical force to prevent
maladjusted individuals from raping me.  I don't need a porn-free zone to
feel safe from the sickos who rape.  If you don't like porn, don't read it.
If you don't like someone's attempting to rape you, kneecap the bastard.  But
don't impose your reading standards on me!

Recently there was someone (MacKinnon?) on a local talk show attempting to
get an ordinance rammed through based on the ludicrous theory that porn by
definition violates the civil rights of women. But the last time I looked
(8-) I was a woman -- a woman who believes I am responsible for my actions,
my choice of reading material, and the interplay between reading and behavior.

In one sense, I cannot see any difference between rape and censorship.  I have
a right to decide what enters my body _and_ a right to decide what enters my
mind.  And I will fight any foolish attempt to coerce me in either case.
Fortunately, the censors are not yet using physical force.

				STella Calvert

		Every man and every woman is a star.

Guest on:	...!decvax!frog!wjr
Life:		Baltimore!AnnArbor!Smyrna!<LotsOfHitchhikingAndShortVisits>
			!SantaCruz!Berkeley!AnnArbor!Taxachussetts
Future:			...	(!L5!TheBelt!InterstellarSpace)

crs@lanl.ARPA (10/24/85)

> This is STella Calvert, a guest on the account and a non-employee of the
> organization I _still_ can't get out of the header.
>
> In article <1171@rayssd.UUCP> hxe@rayssd.UUCP (Heather Emanuel) writes:
>
> >                                        Most of the women who
> >post or respond via personal mail to various posters have made it
> >QUITE CLEAR that we view pornography as something that demeans us as
> >a whole and offends us as individuals, NOT as "being interested in
> >pretty women."
>
> Heather, I don't mean this as a _personal_ attack.  But your claim that "we
> view" pornography in a certain way reminded me that I've been intending to
> post from a different perspective.
>
> [...]
>
> to do so, whether I have to smuggle it in from a free country, buy it
> locally, or sit down at the word processor and write it myself.
>
> In one sense, I cannot see any difference between rape and censorship.  I have
> a right to decide what enters my body _and_ a right to decide what enters my
> mind.  And I will fight any foolish attempt to coerce me in either case.
> Fortunately, the censors are not yet using physical force.
>
> 				STella Calvert

STella,

I would normally have tried to mail this but under the circumstances I
am nearly certain you wouldn't receive it.  Thank you for your article.

I thought your last paragraph was particularly well said.
--
All opinions are mine alone...

Charlie Sorsby
...!{cmcl2,ihnp4,...}!lanl!crs
crs@lanl.arpa

mcewan@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (10/27/85)

> Let _me_ make it QUITE CLEAR that I like porn.
> 				STella Calvert

You're obviously a potential rapist.

			Scott McEwan
			{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!mcewan

Disclaimer: The views stated above are not mine. Don't blame me, I don't know
where they came from.