[net.women] Please forget all about ties!

jj@alice.UUCP (10/28/85)

Ok people, this is net.women, where we're talking about
the problems facing women (and men) in society.  In particular
we talk about things taht society forces on one sex or the other.

My point about neckties was intended to show that both sexes
suffer from ignorant rules of society.  I made the point in order
to rebut a comment from another individual that it was
"only women who suffered..." in this particular regard.

There is no point in discussing what sort of shirt I should
buy.  I KNOW about dress shirts, I know about the "Custom Shop",
and in fact at this point I have my dress shirts made there,
so that they DO fit.  OK?  IT DOESN'T HELP!  AND that is totally
unimportant.

What is important is that both sexes suffer from imbecillic rules,
societal pressures and the like.  Most people here don't
disagree, but some clearly do.    Anyone who thinks that men don't
suffer when people like Ellen are convinced to learn such a
divisive and unhappy attitude, for example, isn't thinking.

For that matter, those of you who inadvertantly confirm that
attitude aren't helping anyone, either.

phew.

'U'
--
EVEN TEDDY BEARS HAVE LIMITED PATIENCE.
"Sunset and evening star, and one clear call for netnews..."

(ihnp4/allegra)!alice!jj

ecl@mtgzz.UUCP (e.c.leeper) (10/29/85)

And just when I was getting ready to ask where to get *short* ties that would
fit me!  No smiley-face--I'm serious.  I happen to like to wear button-down
shirts and ties.  I get my shirts in the boys' department (where they also
have one-parameter sizing) and my ties likewise.  Unfortunately, it is hard to
find real (not clip-on) ties for boys.

All this discussion of the stupidity of women's clothes makes me laugh--I'm
sitting here in clothes bought almost entirely in the boys' department: pants,
shirt, sweater, socks.  And all were cheaper than the exact same item would be
in the women's department.  And they pants have pockets.  And the shirt has a
pocket.  There is a way to fight the stupidity of women's clothing--don't buy
it!

					Evelyn C. Leeper
					...ihnp4!mtgzz!ecl

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (10/31/85)

I was going to mail this but the address was too long for our mailer, so ...

In article <1337@mtgzz.UUCP> ecl@mtgzz.UUCP (e.c.leeper) writes:
>                                             ... Unfortunately, it is hard to
>find real (not clip-on) ties for boys.

I don't know if this is still true, but I recall clip-on ties  used  to  be
made  by  wrapping  an ordiary tie around a piece of plastic with the clips
attached.  Have you tried taking one apart?

Alternatively, if you can't find ties short enough, get  the  shortest  you
can  and use a full windsor knot.  This makes a rather bulky bundle, so try
for ties made of light-weight silk.  Unfortunately, short ties tend  to  be
of  poorer  quality for no obvious reason.  If you're really desperate, The
Custom Shop will make them to order.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp(+)TTI                    Common Sense is what tells you that a ten
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.             pound weight falls ten times as fast as a
Santa Monica, CA  90405           one pound weight.
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

scott@cdp.UUCP (11/03/85)

> What is important is that both sexes suffer from imbecillic rules,
> societal pressures and the like.  Most people here don't
> disagree, but some clearly do.

I don't disagree that that both men and women suffer, I just find
it irrelevant.  It's just as irrelevant as saying that whites and
blacks both suffer from racism.  You can't reduce sexism or racism to such
simple logic; they're not the same as, say, discrimination based on black
hair vs brown hair.  They're wrapped up in very major societal power
imbalances that cause significantly more damage to members of one group.

Scott Weikart
Community Data Processing: 415-322-9069
{decwrl,sun,bellcore,megatest,adobe,hplabs,...}!glacier!cdp!scott
{ihnp4,decvax,ucbvax,cbosgd,hao,purdue,duke,...}!hplabs!cdp!scott