[net.women] A flash from the

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (10/02/85)

The Playboy Mensa pictorial that got pre-empted by  the  Madonna  pictorial
has  finally  appeared in this month's issue.  Somewhere along the way, the
title got changed from "The Mensa Girls" to "The Women of Mensa".

I checked the names against the Mensa  Register  --  they're  legit.  (I've
_got_ to start going to more regional gatherings (-:{ ).

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp(+)TTI                    Common Sense is what tells you that a ten
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.             pound weight falls ten times as fast as a
Santa Monica, CA  90405           one pound weight.
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) (10/05/85)

> The Playboy Mensa pictorial that got pre-empted by  the  Madonna  pictorial
> has  finally  appeared in this month's issue.  Somewhere along the way, the
> title got changed from "The Mensa Girls" to "The Women of Mensa".
>
> I checked the names against the Mensa  Register  --  they're  legit.  (I've
> _got_ to start going to more regional gatherings (-:{ ).
>
> -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
Are you sure that's not "The Densa Girls" to "The Women of Densa"?

dyer@vaxuum.DEC (People 'R' People) (10/08/85)

Re: A flash from the (recent) past._______________________________

> The Playboy Mensa pictorial . . . has finally appeared in this
> month's issue. . . . I've _got_ to start going to more regional
> gatherings.

	One would think that a member of Mensa - as you have
announced yourself to be (in a rather roundabout way) - would have
more sense than to pollute this newsgroup with such sentiments.
		<_Jym_>
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::::'  ::  `::::             Jym Dyer             ::::'  ::  `::::
::'    ::    `::       Dracut, Massachusetts      ::'    ::    `::
::     ::     ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::     ::     ::
::   .::::.   ::   DYER%VAXUUM.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA    ::   .::::.   ::
::..:' :: `:..::  {allegra|decvax|ihnp4|ucbvax}   ::..:' :: `:..::
::::.  ::  .:::: decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-vaxuum!dyer  ::::'  ::  `::::
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

spaf@gatech.CSNET (Gene Spafford) (10/08/85)

In article <746@ttidcc.UUCP> hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) writes:
>The Playboy Mensa pictorial that got pre-empted by  the  Madonna  pictorial
>has  finally  appeared in this month's issue.  Somewhere along the way, the
>title got changed from "The Mensa Girls" to "The Women of Mensa".
>
>I checked the names against the Mensa  Register  --  they're  legit.  (I've
>_got_ to start going to more regional gatherings (-:{ ).

Really.  If only you'd been at the Atlanta RG a week and a half ago....
It's not a coincidence that 2 of the women happen to be from Atlanta.

BTW, if any of you were interested in writing in for one of the little
red plastic balls, Sheri informed me that they're going fast -- the
Chicago offices have been receiving letters at a rate of almost
100 per day.

And yes, they're legit, as easily evidenced if one talks with any
of them for any length of time.
--
Gene "3 months and counting slowly" Spafford
The Clouds Project, School of ICS, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332

andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Kent Dorfman) (10/09/85)

In article <742@decwrl.UUCP> dyer@vaxuum.DEC (People 'R' People) writes:
>> The Playboy Mensa pictorial . . . has finally appeared in this
>> month's issue. . . . I've _got_ to start going to more regional
>> gatherings.
>
>	One would think that a member of Mensa - as you have
>announced yourself to be (in a rather roundabout way) - would have
>more sense than to pollute this newsgroup with such sentiments.

I passed the Mensa exam when I was 11... but you'll never see _m_e
cluttering an unrelated newsgroup bragging about it!

crs@lanl.ARPA (10/09/85)

> Re: A flash from the (recent) past._______________________________
>
> > The Playboy Mensa pictorial . . . has finally appeared in this
> > month's issue. . . . I've _got_ to start going to more regional
> > gatherings.
>
> 	One would think that a member of Mensa - as you have
> announced yourself to be (in a rather roundabout way) - would have
> more sense than to pollute this newsgroup with such sentiments.
> 		<_Jym_>

Oh don't take yourself and others so seriously!
--
All opinions are mine alone...

Charlie Sorsby
...!{cmcl2,ihnp4,...}!lanl!crs
crs@lanl.arpa

mce@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Mark McEntee%CGL) (10/14/85)

In article <742@decwrl.UUCP> dyer@vaxuum.DEC (People 'R' People) writes:

>> [article prompting Jym's message]
>> The Playboy Mensa pictorial . . . has finally appeared in this
>> month's issue. . . . I've _got_ to start going to more regional
>> gatherings.

>	One would think that a member of Mensa - as you have
>announced yourself to be (in a rather roundabout way) - would have
>more sense than to pollute this newsgroup with such sentiments.
>		<_Jym_>

Jym, I'm confused.  Why exactly do you object to this person's sentiments?
And what does membership in Mensa have to do with it?

jeffw@tekecs.UUCP (Jeff Winslow) (10/15/85)

> Re: A flash from the (recent) past._______________________________
>
> > The Playboy Mensa pictorial . . . has finally appeared in this
> > month's issue. . . . I've _got_ to start going to more regional
> > gatherings.
>
> 	One would think that a member of Mensa - as you have
> announced yourself to be (in a rather roundabout way) - would have
> more sense than to pollute this newsgroup with such sentiments.
> 		<_Jym_>

Stop being such a prig. Just because you feel guilty about being interested
in pretty women is no reason to expect that others will have the same
problem.
				Jeff Winslow

hxe@rayssd.UUCP (Heather Emanuel) (10/20/85)

Jerry says:
> > > The Playboy Mensa pictorial . . . has finally appeared in this
> > > month's issue. . . . I've _got_ to start going to more regional
> > > gatherings.

To which Jym replies (three cheers!):
> > 	One would think that a member of Mensa - as you have
> > announced yourself to be (in a rather roundabout way) - would have
> > more sense than to pollute this newsgroup with such sentiments.
> > 		<_Jym_>

Which prompts Jeff to say:
> Stop being such a prig. Just because you feel guilty about being interested
> in pretty women is no reason to expect that others will have the same
> problem.
> 				Jeff Winslow

Ooh, this makes me mad!!!!!  First, I'm surprised at you, Jeff.
You're usually not like this.  Maybe you were kidding?

On the assumption that you were serious: are you *crazy*?  Haven't
you been listening AT ALL to the overwhelming sentiment of the
postings in this group for the last two years?  This is net.women,
started for discussions by and about women.  Most of the women who
post or respond via personal mail to various posters have made it
QUITE CLEAR that we view pornography as something that demeans us as
a whole and offends us as individuals, NOT as "being interested in
pretty women."  Even if you don't agree with that, and even if *Jym*
doesn't agree with that, Jym's posting was pointing out that most of
us *do* agree with that.  As such, I feel your attack on Jym was
unwarranted.

And by the way, as long as there are people who feel that not "being
interested in pretty women" in pornographic magazines is a "problem"
then I, as an individual woman, am going to be robbed of a little
of my identity.

From the heart, with sadness,

--
--Heather Emanuel {allegra, decvax!brunix, linus, raybed2} rayssd!hxe
   I don't think my company *has* an opinion, so the ones in this

jeffw@tekecs.UUCP (Jeff Winslow) (10/21/85)

> Jerry says:
>
> To which Jym replies (three cheers!):
> > > 	One would think that a member of Mensa - as you have
> > > announced yourself to be (in a rather roundabout way) - would have
> > > more sense than to pollute this newsgroup with such sentiments.
> > > 		<_Jym_>
>
> Which prompts Jeff to say:
> > Stop being such a prig. Just because you feel guilty about being interested
> > in pretty women is no reason to expect that others will have the same
> > problem.
> > 				Jeff Winslow
>
> Ooh, this makes me mad!!!!!  First, I'm surprised at you, Jeff.
> You're usually not like this.  Maybe you were kidding?
>
> On the assumption that you were serious: are you *crazy*?  Haven't
> you been listening AT ALL to the overwhelming sentiment of the
> postings in this group for the last two years?  This is net.women,
> started for discussions by and about women.  Most of the women who
> post or respond via personal mail to various posters have made it
> QUITE CLEAR that we view pornography as something that demeans us as
> a whole and offends us as individuals, NOT as "being interested in
> pretty women."  Even if you don't agree with that, and even if *Jym*
> doesn't agree with that, Jym's posting was pointing out that most of
> us *do* agree with that.  As such, I feel your attack on Jym was
> unwarranted.

Well! I seem to have stepped in it this time. But I was not joking,
and I am not crazy. All I ask is that you not read into my statement
that which I did not put into it.

Now, let's get one thing straight. Since Jerry's statement was prompted
by a Playboy article, when I talk about pornography below, I'm talking
about Playboy, NOT some violent crap dredged up from the local sleaze
bin. If you don't think there's a significant difference, you need to
learn a whole lot more about pornography - and men.

First, I respectfully suggest that your statement "Most of the women...
QUITE CLEAR..." is colored by your own personal beliefs. I have observed
a wide range of sentiment on soft porn from the women on this newsgroup,
and, while I haven't kept count (have you?) I don't recall any particular
consensus. And even if that consensus *did* exist, since I believe in
a rational dialogue between the sexes, and I don't see any cause for
serious offense either in Playboy or Jerry's statement, I would feel
obligated to defend them anyway. Are you saying that, because a majority
of people feel a certain way, no dissenting views are appropriate? Be
careful!

Now to the heart of the subject, what little there is. Both Jerry's
and Jym's comments were pretty vague, so I suspect that the crux of our
differences is simply a different reading of those comments. I read them
this way:

Jerry - "Hey, I didn't know there were such pretty (and otherwise interesting -
         don't forget that Playboy usually gives some sort of personal
         interest details) women in this group I belong to! I've got
         to meet them for myself."

Jym - "How dare you consider a woman's attractiveness in deciding whether
       you want to meet her or not!"

Me - "What sort of #@$%^&*%$ is that?!"

Let me add that I have seen very few women of approximately my own age that
were not physically attractive in some way or other. What is attractive
varies so much with the beholder that I fail to see how this can even be an
issue. Now I can readily understand what is wrong with a man hiring only
women that he finds personally attractive (besides it being unlikely to
find him the best employee) but, fer chrissake, Jerry's talking about who
he wants in his *personal* life (and not entirely seriously, either,
I suspect).

> And by the way, as long as there are people who feel that not "being
> interested in pretty women" in pornographic magazines is a "problem"
> then I, as an individual woman, am going to be robbed of a little
> of my identity.

I think you probably see now that that is *not* what I was saying. But
it moves me to say that, as long as there are people who who feel that
"being interested in pretty women" in pornographic magazines (if
anybody takes this statement out of context I will toast them to a
cinder) is a "problem", just by itself, there are people who need
to understand that men are not as simple-minded as these people think.
I am sorry if you feel robbed of a little of your identity by Playboy,
but I encourage you and assure you that there is no need for you to feel
that way.

> From the heart, with sadness,
>
> --
> --Heather Emanuel {allegra, decvax!brunix, linus, raybed2} rayssd!hxe

Please don't be sad. I don't think there is any need to be (in this case).

					Jeff Winslow

lee@dsi1.UUCP (Lee Hagerty) (10/21/85)

> And by the way, as long as there are people who feel that not "being
> interested in pretty women" in pornographic magazines is a "problem"
> then I, as an individual woman, am going to be robbed of a little
> of my identity.
>
> From the heart, with sadness,
>
> --
> --Heather Emanuel {allegra, decvax!brunix, linus, raybed2} rayssd!hxe

As long as all or any of your identity is dependent on other people, then you
have been "robbed" of nothing--you gave it away!

                                                 Lee

tron@fluke.UUCP (Peter Barbee) (10/21/85)

To set the stage:
	Jerry mentions and jokes about "The Playboy Mensa pictorial".

	Jym castigates Jerry.

	Jeff accusses Jym of prigishness, implying he doesn't have that problem.

   >And Heather continues:
   >Ooh, this makes me mad!!!!!
   >
   >On the assumption that you were serious: are you *crazy*?  Haven't
   >you been listening AT ALL to the overwhelming sentiment of the
   >postings in this group for the last two years?

I'm not sure about overwhelming sentiment, but I do 'k' most porn discussions.

   >Most of the women who
   >post or respond via personal mail to various posters have made it
   >QUITE CLEAR that we view pornography as something that demeans us as
   >a whole and offends us as individuals, NOT as "being interested in
   >pretty women."

Heather, this brings up an interesting point.  The women pictured in this
particular feature are obviously intelligent.  It seems likely that they
are not particularly desperate for money.  Why did they pose?  Of course
they did get paid, and it was very easy money, maybe even fun.  But they
most obviously do not feel that nude ,or semi-nude, pictures of them
demean them, let alone demeaning women as a whole.  (Remember, I'm assuming
these women are intelligent and wouldn't purposely demean themselves)

My quesstion is; Heather, how can what these women did and what you say
be compatible?  Is there not room for differing and yet respectful views?

   >And by the way, as long as there are people who feel that not "being
   >interested in pretty women" in pornographic magazines is a "problem"
   >then I, as an individual woman, am going to be robbed of a little
   >of my identity.

And as long as people equate nude pictures as pornagraphy this debate
will continue to polarize.

   >From the heart, with sadness,

yea, me too,
Peter B

scott@hou2g.UUCP (Colonel'K) (10/22/85)

You know, Jerry has been getting a lot of heat for his comment
on the women who appeared in the Mensa pictorial in Playboy.
He indicated interest in getting to know these women.

WHY DOES EVERYONE ASSUME IT WAS SOLELY BECAUSE THEY WERE NAKED?

When I first read the comment, I assumed it was said because
Jerry found the women attractive.  My impression was that he would
have said EXACTLY THE SAME THING if he had seen these women in
a fashion magazine, WEARING FANCY CLOTHES.  Talk about knee-jerk!

Am I correct?  Let's let Jerry answer for himself, eh?

			"Ever since I come to New York..everybody
			 I meet...from someplace else."

				Scott J. Berry
				ihnp4!hou2g!scott

geoff@burl.UUCP (geoff) (10/22/85)

In article <1171@rayssd.UUCP> hxe@rayssd.UUCP (Heather Emanuel) writes:
>Jerry says:
>
>To which Jym replies (three cheers!) <and a very loud raspberry>:
>> > 	One would think that a member of Mensa - as you have
>> > announced yourself to be (in a rather roundabout way) - would have
>> > more sense than to pollute this newsgroup with such sentiments.
>> > 		<_Jym_>
>
>Which prompts Jeff to say:
>> Stop being such a prig. Just because you feel guilty about being interested
>> in pretty women is no reason to expect that others will have the same
>> problem.
>> 				Jeff Winslow
>
>Which incites Heather to say:
>Ooh, this makes me mad!!!!!  First, I'm surprised at you, Jeff.
>You're usually not like this.  Maybe you were kidding?
>
>On the assumption that you were serious: are you *crazy*?  Haven't
>you been listening AT ALL to the overwhelming sentiment of the
>postings in this group for the last two years?

Um, excuse me, but what does the fact of the 'overwhelming sentiment of
the postings' have to do with whether Jeff should have made that comment?
Should every poster check his or her back files to make sure they are
presenting the 'appropriate' image so as not to offend readers?  Or, since
that would not be practical, lets just have one central clearing point for
'correct' thought.  Would you care to volunteer, Heather?

>This is net.women, started for discussions by and about women.

I saw the Mensa pictoral.  In my considered opinion, the models were definitely
women.  Oh, but they are not right-thinking women.  That's different.

>Most of the women who
>post or respond via personal mail to various posters have made it
>QUITE CLEAR that we view pornography as something that demeans us as
>a whole and offends us as individuals, NOT as "being interested in
>pretty women." Even if you don't agree with that, and even if *Jym*
>doesn't agree with that, Jym's posting was pointing out that most of
>us *do* agree with that.  As such, I feel your attack on Jym was
>unwarranted.

I feel the attack was entirely warranted. Surely free speech
is a touchy problem, because those who support it must support the right
of those who oppose it to argue their case.  Those who oppose it, of
course, are under no such obligation.  I disliked Jym's posting, not (just)
because he disliked Jerry's comment, but because of the way he said
that posting such sentiments 'pollute this newsgroup'.  Considering how
much petty bickering, name calling, and mud-slinging goes on in this
group, I think Jym is just a little bit late to be worried about trash.

>And by the way, as long as there are people who feel that not "being
>interested in pretty women" in pornographic magazines is a "problem"
>then I, as an individual woman, am going to be robbed of a little
>of my identity.

Your identity is fine, but all who disagree must give up some of
theirs to coddle yours?  If you are going to be robbed of your identity
as long as people disagree with you, in this respect or any other, you
had better live in a vault.  You will be robbed until the day you die.

Let people live their own lives; it is the only way to let you live yours.

	geoff sherwood
	ihnp4!burl!geoff

dyer@vaxuum.DEC (People 'R' People) (10/22/85)

Re: A flash from the (recent) past._______________________________

>>> I've _got_ to start going to more regional gatherings [now
>>> that I've seen pictures of naked Mensa women in _Playboy_].
>>  One would think that a member of Mensa . . . would have more
>>  sense than to pollute this newsgroup with such sentiments.
>   Stop being such a prig.

	Name-calling, eh?  Stop being such a child.

> Just because you feel guilty about being interested in pretty
> women is no reason to expect that others will have the same
> problem.

	Interesting prognosis.  Too bad it's totally off the mark.
I have no problem dealing with pretty women (or with pretty men,
for that matter).  At any rate, the point is irrelevant, since
what we're talking about is a _Playboy_ pictorial.  _Playboy_
pictorials generally consist of photographs that have been
airbrushed and painted until they depict an artificial poreless
sex robot.  No woman looks like that, including the woman who was
in the original photograph.

	Mensa is an organization formed for people with high IQs
to find others with high IQs to socialize with.  Apparently women
with high IQs aren't what the author of the original article is
interested in, but women "suitable" for _Playboy_ provoke his
interest enough to attend "more regional gatherings."
	I hardly think that this is the newsgroup to express such
sentiments.
		<_Jym_>
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::::'  ::  `::::             Jym Dyer             ::::'  ::  `::::
::'    ::    `::       Dracut, Massachusetts      ::'    ::    `::
::     ::     ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::     ::     ::
::   .::::.   ::   DYER%VAXUUM.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA    ::   .::::.   ::
::..:' :: `:..::  {allegra|decvax|ihnp4|ucbvax}   ::..:' :: `:..::
::::.  ::  .:::: decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-vaxuum!dyer  ::::'  ::  `::::
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

barry@ames.UUCP (Kenn Barry) (10/22/85)

From Heather Emanuel (rayssd!hxe):
>Jerry says:
>
>To which Jym replies (three cheers!):
>> > 	One would think that a member of Mensa - as you have
>> > announced yourself to be (in a rather roundabout way) - would have
>> > more sense than to pollute this newsgroup with such sentiments.
>> > 		<_Jym_>
>
>Which prompts Jeff to say:
>> Stop being such a prig. Just because you feel guilty about being interested
>> in pretty women is no reason to expect that others will have the same
>> problem.
>> 				Jeff Winslow
>
>Ooh, this makes me mad!!!!!  First, I'm surprised at you, Jeff.
>You're usually not like this.  Maybe you were kidding?
>
>On the assumption that you were serious: are you *crazy*?  Haven't
>you been listening AT ALL to the overwhelming sentiment of the
>postings in this group for the last two years?  This is net.women,
>started for discussions by and about women.  Most of the women who
>post or respond via personal mail to various posters have made it
>QUITE CLEAR that we view pornography as something that demeans us as
>a whole and offends us as individuals, NOT as "being interested in
>pretty women."  Even if you don't agree with that, and even if *Jym*
>doesn't agree with that, Jym's posting was pointing out that most of
>us *do* agree with that.  As such, I feel your attack on Jym was
>unwarranted.

	I think two points need to be addressed. First, reread the quote
from Jerry. As far as I can tell, all it does is to express a liking
for pretty women. It does not express *any* opinion on PLAYBOY, only
an interest in meeting the Mensa members who were featured in the article
in question. If an interest in pretty women make Jerry Hollombe a sexist,
I guess it's time for me to come out of the closet and declare myself
a sexist, too; it seems I meet the definition.
	As for the porn matter, you are assuming a lot. A variety of
opinions on the subject have been expressed in net.women, by both men
and women. If the women on this board have expressed near-universal
condemnation of PLAYBOY, I have failed to notice it.

>And by the way, as long as there are people who feel that not "being
>interested in pretty women" in pornographic magazines is a "problem"
>then I, as an individual woman, am going to be robbed of a little
>of my identity.

	No one (except you) has suggested that lack of interest in pictures
of naked women is a problem. *Please* read what you are responding to
carefully before posting. Neither Jerry Hollombe's article, nor Jeff
Winslow's, takes any stand on the propriety of magazines like PLAYBOY;
all they say is that they like pretty women. I have no idea of their
opinion of PLAYBOY and, unless they've expressed an opinion elsewhere,
neither do you or Mr Dyer.

-  From the Crow's Nest  -                      Kenn Barry
                                                NASA-Ames Research Center
                                                Moffett Field, CA
 	ELECTRIC AVENUE:	 {ihnp4,vortex,dual,nsc,hao,hplabs}!ames!barry

reh@aplvax.UUCP (Ron E. Hall) (10/23/85)

> Re: A flash from the (recent) past._______________________________

> >>  One would think that a member of Mensa . . . would have more
> >>  sense than to pollute this newsgroup with such sentiments.

> >   Stop being such a prig.
>
> 	Name-calling, eh?  Stop being such a child.
> 	Mensa is an organization formed for people with high IQs
> to find others with high IQs to socialize with.  Apparently women
> with high IQs aren't what the author of the original article is
> interested in, but women "suitable" for _Playboy_ provoke his
> interest enough to attend "more regional gatherings."
> 	I hardly think that this is the newsgroup to express such
> sentiments.
> 		<_Jym_>
       Prig is defined as "...a person who is excessively precise,
proper and smug in his moral behavior and attitudes, to the
annoyance of others."  I think he describes Jym's attitude accurately,
and is not just childishly calling names. The original poster
was making a little joke; Jym is trying to make a big statement
out of it, and not quite succeeding.

					Ron Hall
					JHU/APL
				...decvax!decuac!aplvax!reh
				...rlgvax!cvl!umcp-cs!aplvax!reh
--

jeffw@tekecs.UUCP (Jeff Winslow) (10/24/85)

> Re: A flash from the (recent) past._______________________________

> >>  One would think that a member of Mensa . . . would have more
> >>  sense than to pollute this newsgroup with such sentiments.
> >   Stop being such a prig.
>
> 	Name-calling, eh?  Stop being such a child.

So tell me. What is the difference between me calling you a prig and
you calling me a child? Practice what you preach. and preach. and preach.

> > Just because you feel guilty about being interested in pretty
> > women is no reason to expect that others will have the same
> > problem.
>
> 	Interesting prognosis.  Too bad it's totally off the mark.
> I have no problem dealing with pretty women (or with pretty men,
> for that matter).  At any rate, the point is irrelevant, since
> what we're talking about is a _Playboy_ pictorial.  _Playboy_
> pictorials generally consist of photographs that have been
> airbrushed and painted until they depict an artificial poreless
> sex robot.  No woman looks like that, including the woman who was
> in the original photograph.
>
> 	Mensa is an organization formed for people with high IQs
> to find others with high IQs to socialize with.  Apparently women
> with high IQs aren't what the author of the original article is
> interested in, but women "suitable" for _Playboy_ provoke his
> interest enough to attend "more regional gatherings."
> 	I hardly think that this is the newsgroup to express such
> sentiments.
> 		<_Jym_>

I apologize if my prognosis was, indeed, incorrect. However, I find your
attitude of assumed moral superiority to be offensive enough that it's
hard to feel very sorry about it.

Ad for the other points raised, I refer you to my reply and Peter Barbee's
reply to Heather Emanuel's interesting posting.

					Jeff Winslow

ishizaki@hplabsc.UUCP (Audrey Ishizaki) (10/24/85)

Regarding the Playboy Mensa pictorial:

> Heather, this brings up an interesting point.  The women pictured in this
> particular feature are obviously intelligent.  It seems likely that they
> are not particularly desperate for money.  Why did they pose?  Of course
> they did get paid, and it was very easy money, maybe even fun.  But they
> most obviously do not feel that nude ,or semi-nude, pictures of them
> demean them, let alone demeaning women as a whole.  (Remember, I'm assuming
> these women are intelligent and wouldn't purposely demean themselves)

There was an article in the local San Jose Mercury News about one of the
women pictured in the Playboy pictorial who lives/works locally.  She is
the head chef in a local restaurant.
She wanted to do the Playboy pictorial to help free the stereotype that
smart women are ugly, dumpy, and wear thick glasses.  Or, conversely, that
because women are attractive, they cannot also be intelligent.
There may have been other reasons, too, but this is the one I recall.

Her family (husband, parents, in-laws) were very supportive.  She said she
wasn't sure if her mother was proud of her for doing the pictorial or because
she appeared on Donahue because of it.  She said the Donahue show was
surprisingly controversial (the premise was almost discarded because it was
not deemed controversial enough) though there was little else said about it.

Obviously women do not agree on what constitutes pornography.  From the little
I have seen of Playboy, it is definitely not in the same class as violent
"pornography" or kiddie-porn.  I do not take the view that soft-core porn
leads to violence against women.

Audrey Ishizaki
HPlabs
--
audrey k. ishizaki
Hplabs

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (10/24/85)

In article <683@hou2g.UUCP> scott@hou2g.UUCP (Colonel'K) writes:

>Am I correct?  Let's let Jerry answer for himself, eh?
>
>				Scott J. Berry

My God!  A voice of reason in the wilderness!  Thank you, Scott.

I've already responded to some  of  the  comments  in  a  slightly  flamish
article  posted  yesterday.  Having cooled off a bit, I'd like to add a few
factual comments.

The current issue of the Mensa Bulletin (the national newsletter)  contains
an  article on the Playboy pictorial.  The article is written by one of the
women who posed and explains her thoughts and feelings  and  those  of  her
fellow  posers  on  the experience, how they were chosen, why they applied,
how they were treated by Playboy, etc.  The article includes several of the
less  revealing  pictures  from  the pictorial (does that make Mensa into a
bunch of pornographers? (-: ).

A friend of mine, one of the most fanatic feminists I know, had  previously
condemned  the behavior of the women in the pictorial (the knee-jerk almost
put a hole in her wall  (-:  ).  After  reading  the  article,  she  did  a
complete  turnaround,  decided  the pictorial was acceptable after all, and
_then_ decided to get a Playboy and see for herself what all the  fuss  was
about.

I'm _not_ going to type in the text  of  the  article  here.  It's  several
pages  typeset  and I haven't got the time.  Anyone who's really interested
can contact their local Mensa chapter (try the white pages under Mensa)  or
the  home  office in New York (American Mensa, Ltd., 2626 East 14th Street,
Brooklyn, NY, 11235, (718) 376-1925).

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp(+)TTI                    Common Sense is what tells you that a ten
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.             pound weight falls ten times as fast as a
Santa Monica, CA  90405           one pound weight.
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

barry@ames.UUCP (Kenn Barry) (10/25/85)

From Jym Dyer (dec-vaxuum!dyer):
[Jerry Hollombe]

	Is this an honest attempt at paraphrase, or a hidden editorial
comment? Why do you assume that it is the nudity, rather than the beauty of
the women pictured, which provoked Jerry's light-hearted comment?

>	Mensa is an organization formed for people with high IQs
>to find others with high IQs to socialize with.  Apparently women
>with high IQs aren't what the author of the original article is
>interested in, but women "suitable" for _Playboy_ provoke his
>interest enough to attend "more regional gatherings."
>	I hardly think that this is the newsgroup to express such
>sentiments.

	Jeezus, lighten up, guy. Are you saying it's politically correct to
like women for their brains, but not for their beauty? Jerry saw photos of
beautiful and (based on their Mensa membership) intelligent women. He made a
remark implying he wouldn't mind meeting them. Well, I haven't seen the
magazine, but I'm willing to bet there were some pictures of women *I'd* like
to meet, too. Perhaps someone can explain to me why that is sexist, or
whatever it's supposed to be.

-  Evil is in the mind of the beholder -        Kenn Barry
                                                NASA-Ames Research Center
                                                Moffett Field, CA
 	ELECTRIC AVENUE: {ihnp4,vortex,dual,hao,menlo70,hplabs}!ames!barry

dyer@vaxuum.DEC (People 'R' People) (10/25/85)

Re: A flash from the (recent) past._______________________________

{Heather (three cheers!) says:}

H> . . . I feel your attack on Jym was unwarranted.

{Which somehow incited Geoff (a very loud raspberry!) to say:}

G> I feel the attack was entirely warranted.

{Geoff then explains why he feels it is "entirely warranted" for}
{me to be called a "prig" who "feel[s] guilty about being inter-}
{ested in pretty women:"}

G> Surely free speech is a touchy problem, because those who sup-
G> port it must support the right of those who oppose it to argue
G> their case.

	Free speech is not at issue here.  I never said that Jeff
should not be permitted to make his silly remarks here, I merely
pointed out that net.women is not exactly the most intelligent
place to make such remarks.
	(Similarly, I would never suggest that Geoff be forbidden
from including the full text of my article in a reply that claims
it says something else; but I would not hesitate to suggest that
it's not the smartest thing in the world to do.)

{Geoff continues explaining why I should be called a guilt-ridden}
{prig:}

G> I disliked Jym's posting . . . because of the way he said that
G> posting such sentiments 'pollute this newsgroup.'

	I agree that this newgroup is already polluted.  As an
environmentalist, though, I could hardly agree that this means one
should not complain about more pollution.

{Ron felt he just had to tell us this:}

R> Prig is defined as ". . . a person who is excessively precise,
R> proper and smug in his [sic] moral behavior and attitudes, to
R> the annoyance of others."

	So when did I bring up morality?  All I said was that
net.women is a dumb place to post articles that say, in effect,
"hey, guys, check out the bazongas on that one!"

R> I think he [Jeff?] describes Jym's attitude accurately.

	Gee.  Two people agree on the same prognosis.  Two people
who have never met me consider themselves competent to tell the
net what my attitude is.  Gee.

{Scott comes along and shouts the following:}

S> WHY DOES EVERYONE ASSUME IT WAS SOLELY BECAUSE THEY WERE NAKED?

	Why do you assume everyone assumes that?

S> My impression was that he would have said EXACTLY THE SAME
S> THING if he had seen these women in a fashion magazine, WEARING
S> FANCY CLOTHES.

	Possibly.  So what?  What difference would that make?
		<_Jym_>
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::::'  ::  `::::             Jym Dyer             ::::'  ::  `::::
::'    ::    `::       Dracut, Massachusetts      ::'    ::    `::
::     ::     ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::     ::     ::

fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) (10/27/85)

In article <1171@rayssd.UUCP> hxe@rayssd.UUCP (Heather Emanuel) writes:
>	Most of the women who post or respond via personal mail
>to various posters have made it QUITE CLEAR that we view pornography
>as something that demeans us as a whole and offends us as individuals,
>NOT as "being interested in pretty women."

But, are these feelings justified?  I am not thinking of magazines
that cater to violent, sadistic fantasies, but those that merely
present women as sexual objects.  What is so terrible about them?

I view my tennis teacher as a tennis object (i.e. a tool to use
in learning tennis, without concern for him as an individual),
but I don't think he feels demeaned and offended by my attitude.

Are male homosexuals similarly offended and demeaned by the pictures
in the homosexual pornographic magazines that show men as sex objects?
Why not?

	Frank Silbermann

michaelm@3comvax.UUCP (Michael McNeil) (11/01/85)

[don't eat lines, they'll rot your teeth.]

> > And by the way, as long as there are people who feel that not "being
> > interested in pretty women" in pornographic magazines is a "problem"
> > then I, as an individual woman, am going to be robbed of a little
> > of my identity.
> >
> > From the heart, with sadness,
> >
> > --Heather Emanuel {allegra, decvax!brunix, linus, raybed2} rayssd!hxe

> As long as all or any of your identity is dependent on other people, then you
> have been "robbed" of nothing--you gave it away!
>
>                                                  Lee

And, I'd prefer not to be flamed for saying this (I can take it,
though, if someone can't resist), but being "robbed of a little
of my identity" by a *picture* sounds very much like primitive
peoples who think that someone taking their photograph "steals
their soul."  The difference in this case is that it is a picture
of somebody *else* that is purported to be stealing Heather's
"identity."  All this doesn't seem very rational to me.

--

Michael McNeil
3Com Corporation     "All disclaimers including this one apply"

	Who knows for certain?  Who shall here declare it?
	Whence was it born, whence came creation?
	The gods are later than this world's formation;
	Who then can know the origins of the world?

	None knows whence creation arose;
	And whether he has or has not made it;
	He who surveys it from the lofty skies,
	Only he knows -- or perhaps he knows not.
		*The Rig Veda*, X. 129

scott@cdp.UUCP (11/03/85)

> Are male homosexuals similarly offended and demeaned by the pictures
> in the homosexual pornographic magazines that show men as sex objects?
> Why not?

I know that many gay men like gay mail porno (I also know of gay men
who don't like it).  But I'm afraid you can't really extrapolate.  Gay
men are men, and have grown up in a culture where it's very common
and accepted for men to objectify women as sexual objects; I think
that tendency can take hold and be translated into objectification of men
as sexual objects.

Also, objectification in same-sex relations is not as much of a problem
as in opposite sex relations.  The objectification of women as sex
objects by men leads to men viewing women as less-than-human, i.e. not
as multi-dimensional as men.  In same-sex relations there's an inherent
equality, because you're relating to someone of the same "cultural class",
who thus has the same cultural identity as yourself; there is less danger
that you consider your real or imagined partners as fundamentally different
or less worthwhile than youself.

Scott Weikart
Community Data Processing: 415-322-9069
{decwrl,sun,bellcore,megatest,adobe,hplabs,...}!glacier!cdp!scott
{ihnp4,decvax,ucbvax,cbosgd,hao,purdue,duke,...}!hplabs!cdp!scott