[net.women] At Last: Sojourner on Dworkin-M

mcewan@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (11/02/85)

>      The anti-pornography  ordinance  on  which  Cambridge,  Mas-
> sachusetts,  residents  will  vote  in November (see News Briefs)
> closely resembles the legislation proposed in Minneapolis,  Indi-
> anapolis, and Los Angeles. It defines "pornography" as follows:
>
>      "Pornography is the graphic sexually explicit  subordination
> of  women through pictures and/or words that also includes one or
> more of the following: (i) women  are  presented  dehumanized  as
> sexual  objects,  things,  or  commodities;  or  (ii)  women  are
> presented as sexual objects who enjoy  pain  or  humiliation;  or
> (iii) women are presented as sexual objects who experience sexual
> pleasure in being raped; or (iv) women are  presented  as  sexual
> objects  tied  up or cut up or mutilated or bruised or physically
> hurt; or (v) women are presented in postures  of  sexual  submis-
> sion,  servility,  or  display;  or  (vi)  women's  body  parts--
> including but not limited to vagina,  breasts,  or  buttocks--are
> exhibited  such  that  women are reduced to those parts; or (vii)
> women are presented as whores by  nature;  or  (viii)  women  are
> presented as being penetrated by objects or animals; or (ix) wom-
> en are presented in scenarios of  degradation,  injury,  torture,
> shown  as filthy or inferior, bleeding, bruised or hurt in a con-
> text that makes these conditions sexual.

Does anyone know of any book, movie or work of art containing at least one
woman that could NOT be considered pornography under this definition?

			Scott McEwan
			{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!mcewan

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?"

booter@lll-crg.ARpA (Elaine Richards) (11/06/85)

In article <31600156@uiucdcs> mcewan@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU writes:

Writer gives extensive quote of definition of pornography vis a
vis new laws...

>Does anyone know of any book, movie or work of art containing at least one
>woman that could NOT be considered pornography under this definition?
>
>			Scott McEwan
>			{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!mcewan

Yes, Scott. Much lovely stuff. Mary Cassat's studies of women and their childrenas well as James MacNeill Whistlers Study in Grey and Black (Whistler's Mother)
Hmm.... there is also the Mona Lisa, the beautiful protraits of the
Renaissance women in Italy. We also have the alabaster bust of Nefertiti
and a full size statue of the (female) pharoh Hatshepsut. (I saw that one in
NYC - beautiful polished granite). I could go on forever, but I make it a
policy to keep the memos I write reasonably windfree and short.

*****