[net.women] Def. of Feminism

richardt@orstcs.UUCP (richardt) (10/30/85)

"Feminism v. Non-Sexism"

These are two distinct ideas.  Feminism, *by its definition* is sexism,
the situation is merely reversed with the women running the show.

Non-sexism is an attitude which says "people are people and deserve certain
courtesies and respect, regardless of anatomy and other accidents of
nature."

These are two widely divergent viewpoints, and explain why I don't get along
with most people who label themselves feminists.  I am not saying that
all people who label themselves as feminists fit into the above definition.
I am saying that  they are mis-representing themselves, and to their detriment.

I would like to suggest that much of the purpose of this newsgroup is to
promote, albeit often indirectly, a non-sexist outlook and attitude.
I doubt that very many people actually wish to promote a matriarchal (sp?)
society.

Comments?

				orstcs!richardt
				"The Apparition"
Richard Threadgill
1230 NW 23rd #7		- SnailMail address recently changed
Corvallis Or

"You put the tribbles *Where*???"
			-- Captain Kirk, loosely

features@ihuxf.UUCP (aMAZon) (11/02/85)

> Richard Threadgill (orstcs!richardt) writes:
> "Feminism v. Non-Sexism"
>
> These are two distinct ideas.  Feminism, *by its definition* is sexism,
> the situation is merely reversed with the women running the show.
>
> Non-sexism is an attitude which says "people are people and deserve certain
> courtesies and respect, regardless of anatomy and other accidents of
> nature."

He further goes on to say that he doesn't like feminists, (implying
that feminists are closet matriarchs who want to rule the world) and
that net.women should be promoting equality between the sexes.

His "definition" is so far off the mark it's ludicrous.  Even my
Webster's  (no hotbed of radicalism there) defines feminism as

	1) the theory of the political, economic, and social
	   equality of the sexes
	2) organized activity on behalf of women's rights and
	   interests

FEMINISM != ROLE-REVERSED PATRIARCHY!
--

aMAZon @ AT&T Bell Labs, Naperville, IL; ihnp4!ihuxf!features
					 *open to possibilities*

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (11/03/85)

> "Feminism v. Non-Sexism"
>
> These are two distinct ideas.  Feminism, *by its definition* is sexism,
> the situation is merely reversed with the women running the show.

This definition seems to have ben fabricated in the mind of the author.
For reasons beyond me.  (?)
--
"There!  I've run rings 'round you logically!"
"Oh, intercourse the penguin!"			Rich Rosen    ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

jeff@rtech.UUCP (Jeff Lichtman) (11/05/85)

> "Feminism v. Non-Sexism"
>
> These are two distinct ideas.  Feminism, *by its definition* is sexism,
> the situation is merely reversed with the women running the show.
> Richard Threadgill

Oh, really?  What definition of feminism are you using?  I have always
understood feminism to be a political and social movement, the purpose of
which is to improve women's lot in society.  This includes increasing women's
political power and eliminating or reducing anti-female attitudes.  I have
never heard anyone, female or male, advocate that the current situation be
"reversed with the women running the show".  It is only reasonable that women
should try to increase their political power, considering that they don't
have their fair share of it now, and that they should want to eliminate anti-
female attitudes, considering how prevalent they are.
--
Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
"Saints should always be judged guilty until they are proved innocent..."

{amdahl, sun}!rtech!jeff
{ucbvax, decvax}!mtxinu!rtech!jeff

sunny@l5.uucp (Ms. Sunny Kirsten) (11/05/85)

I believe the new age upon us is one of androgyny, and that the current
patriarchy is falling just as the matriarchies preccedend did.  As in all
aspects of life, balance of the sex forces is necessary to have things
work well.

				Sunny
--
...!{sun,ptsfa,well,lll-crg,ucsfcgl,nsc}!l5!sunny	(Ms. Sunny Kirsten)
...!{sun,ptsfa,well,lll-crg,ucsfcgl,nsc}!nebula!sunny	(Ms. Sunny Kirsten)

smann@iham1.UUCP (Sherry Mann) (11/06/85)

> "Feminism v. Non-Sexism"
>
> These are two distinct ideas.  Feminism, *by its definition* is sexism,
> the situation is merely reversed with the women running the show.
>
> Non-sexism is an attitude which says "people are people and deserve certain
> courtesies and respect, regardless of anatomy and other accidents of
> nature."

I agree that Feminism and Non-Sexism are two distinct ideas.
I'll agree for the sake of argument with the above
definition of non-sexism.  I cannot agree with saying that
feminism is merely reversing the situation with women
running the show.
To me, and most feminists I know, feminism is
acknowledgement that women should have the SAME RIGHTS as
those enjoyed by men.  (Men AND WOMEN are capable of
"running the show")  It differs from non-sexism in that the
emphasis is on inequities against women, rather than
inequities between sexes.

> I doubt that very many people actually wish to promote a matriarchal (sp?)
> society.

I doubt it too, but I don't necessarily consider them feminists if they do.
--
	      *     *