[net.women] trusting men, Ellen & Ray...

anand@utastro.UUCP (Anand Sivaramakrishnan) (10/24/85)

> > Although I am perfectly willing, myself, to trust *no men* at
> > all ....
> >
> > Ellen Eades
> > --
>
> Ellen,
> Not trusting ANY man not to rape you rings of paranoia,.....
> ....  Your remarks are an abomination to decent men every where.
>
> ray
 ---

Considering how many women have been raped, I don't think
Ellen Eades' position is in the least bit paranoid. Suppose
you knew that out of ten cars on a lot one was rigged up
with a bomb wired to the ignition (and you could not open
up the hood).... would you drive or walk?

At a rough guess, one woman in 10 has been raped. Please
reconsider whether you think Ms. Eades is paranoid. I do not
consider her remarks offensive to me, but then I may not be a
member of the set you defined above.

clyde@reed.UUCP (Clyde Bryja) (10/28/85)

> At a rough guess, one woman in 10 has been raped. Please
> reconsider whether you think Ms. Eades is paranoid. I do not
> consider her remarks offensive to me, but then I may not be a
> member of the set you defined above.

About five years ago (when I was still in high school) I was told
by a friend that the statistics are close to ONE WOMAN (read a human
female of any age) IN FOUR having to experience rape in her lifetime.
I didn't believe it then, but I've heard this same statistic quoted
from about half a dozen people (whom I consider to be trustworthy
sources) since then.  One of these people is a professional councilor.

I've never seen this printed anywhere, though, but I don't doubt it
anymore.  It's very frightening!

--
+++++++++++
"For Easter Day is Christmas time,		Clyde Bryja

oleg@birtch.UUCP (Oleg Kiselev x268) (11/05/85)

In article <2062@reed.UUCP> clyde@reed.UUCP (Clyde Bryja) writes:
>About five years ago (when I was still in high school) I was told
>by a friend that the statistics are close to ONE WOMAN (read a human
>female of any age) IN FOUR having to experience rape in her lifetime.

I'll tell you something MUCH scarier and will repeat it as many times
as it takes to get it through to the likes of Ray Frank:

	Current statistics is that 50% of women have been/will be
	raped AT LEAST once in her lifetime. Unoficial data from
	women's action/defence and feminis groups states that in
	USA 3 out of 4 women get raped. Only a small percentage of
	those rapes get reported. An even smaller percentage gets
	into courts.

I use word "RAPE" for a situation in which a participant is taking part
in a sexual act against her/his will. This includes oral, anal, genital
sex and a few other less frequent practices. This also includes cases
of a husbands forcing his wife to perform a sexual act.  Marriage is NOT
an ownership license and does NOT entitle either spouse to demand sex
from another!

It is sad that in society where men are a minority, men dominate all
social and political institutions and IGNORE most problems of the
female majority.

DISCLAMER: I am NOT a feminist. I hate to see blatant injustices!
--
Disclamer: My employers go to church every Sunday, listen to Country music,
and donate money to GOP. I am just a deviant.

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (11/07/85)

In article <89@birtch.UUCP> oleg@birtch.UUCP (Oleg Kiselev x268) writes:
>I use word "RAPE" for a situation in which a participant is taking part
>in a sexual act against her/his will.

I get the impression that the following situation would be described as
or qualify as "rape" by the poster of the above:

Scene = married couple in bed together --
Husband: "Hey, honey, let's..." [puts hand on her arm]
Wife: "Nah, I don't feel like it..."
Husband [whiningly]: "Aw, c'mon..."
Wife [resignedly]: "Oh, OK..."
And they have sex.

There is no physical force; the wife agrees to grant access to sex in
order to avoid later recrimination or argument or just to shut him up
and get it all over with. One could probably characterize this as
"psychological blackmail" or any of a string of pejorative or neutral
terms, depending on what you point you want to make...

Using this sort of criteria, I would guess that EVERY non-virgin of any
sex has been "raped" at least once. Most males wouldn't admit it,
feeling (probably unconsciously) that they have a macho image of "always
being ready for sex" to perpetuate, but I think it works both ways. I
will freely accept that it is much more likely that the woman would be the
one cajoled, though.

I don't think much of this sort of usage of the term "rape". It becomes
overused and therefore loses its impact and seriousness. If you really
DO care about rape, you shouldn't dilute the severity or the
horrendousness of it by applying the term too widely or too generally. I
feel that feminists who toss the term about too readily do just that,
and therefore act in a self-defeating manner. (So, too, does anyone
else doing so, but it seems most publicized [and therefore having the
greatest ill-effect] when done by feminists.)

You certainly can use the language any way you want, but you should take
some thought to avoiding the weakening of your own tenets and position
by being careless with the terminology. Too much of such dilution, and
the reaction to statements about rape will degenerate into "so what?
every woman claims she's been raped these days..." -- and THEN how will
you inspire the emotional committment necessary to fight this? "Rape"
still is a powerful word to the general public; it is much less powerful
to those who have been exposed to it repeatedly (like those of us
reading this newsgroup, or those who read the magazines and books of the
feminist genre). It would be wise to stop this weakening before it
becomes general and reduces the effect on the uninitiated, because what
else will you have to replace it when it loses its impact?

Will