[net.women] Umbrellas

andrews@ubc-cs.UUCP (Jamie Andrews) (11/05/85)

     Here's one of my favourites, always good for a laugh.  The next rainy
day (we have a lot of 'em here), get a good vantage point and count how
many umbrellas carried by men are either (a) black or (b) "golf" umbrellas,
and how many umbrellas carried by women are neither (a) nor (b).  If it's like
here, you'll find both percentages to be about 95%!
     (a), of course, is manly because black is an emotionless, rational,
utilitarian colour.  (b) is manly because of the sports connection -- if
someone plays golf, he *must* be a real man.  (:-)
     Umbrellas with pink and yellow paisleys are definitely *out*!!

--Jamie.
...!ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision!ubc-cs!andrews
"A great king should be as a dog that killeth clean"

slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) (11/06/85)

>The next rainy day (we have a lot of 'em here), get a good vantage point and
>count how many umbrellas carried by men are either (a) black or >(b) "golf"
>umbrellas, and how many umbrellas carried by women are neither (a) nor (b).
>--Jamie.

Sorry--won't work here.  I don't think anyone in Colorado carries an
umbrella.

It's either because (a) when it rains here, it also blows 50 mph., or
(b) everyone in Colorado (including the women) is a REAL man--and doesn't
mind a little rain.  (The *REAL* men are also wearing cowboy hats.)  :-)
--

                                     Sue Brezden
                                     ihnp4!drutx!slb

I march to the beat of a different drummer, whose identity,
   location, and musical ability are as yet unknown.

booter@lll-crg.ARpA (Elaine Richards) (11/09/85)

In article <86@ubc-cs.UUCP> andrews@ubc-cs.UUCP (Jamie Andrews) writes:

>many umbrellas carried by men are either (a) black or (b) "golf" umbrellas,
>and how many umbrellas carried by women are neither (a) nor (b).  If it's like
etc.
>     Umbrellas with pink and yellow paisleys are definitely *out*!!
>
>--Jamie.

Non black umbrellas are cheaper. Women can get away with playing with
nice (or even funky) colors. Women are smart enough to get nice,cheap
umbrellas and convince the planet that it is OK. Men, get up your
courage! I (a femme) had a black umbrella that cost 20 bucks ( I worked
in a conservative law firm in NYC). It turned inside out and broke a
rib just as fast as the buck fifty specials!

*****