this important clarification):

	From: Jamie Andrews <ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision!ubc-cs!andrews>

	Will,  further to your AIDS article,
	Considering the amount of semen that "leaks out" before climax, is it
	really true to say that fellatio without taking ejaculate is
	possibly safe?  I trust your information, but I'd like to know why
	this point doesn't matter. Also, what is your information on
	cunnilingus?  I don't think you mentioned it in your article.
	     Thanks for a reasoned posting.

The "semen that `leaks out' before climax" is an emission from
the Cowper's gland.  Noone really knows right now if this emission
can transmit HTLVIII virus, so it is best to avoid exposing any
mucuous membranes to it.

In other words, if you engage in the POSSIBLY SAFE activity of
fellatio (cock-sucking), you decrease risk by avoiding any
emissions from the penis, including "pre-cum."  Lick *around* the
"head" of the penis, down its length, and down by the balls (scrotum),
rather than putting it all in your mouth.  To further decrease risk,
gargle with a lubricant that contains nonoxynol-9 (try a few to see
which tastes best), or use a diluted hydrogen peroxide solution (say
1 part of 3% hydrogen peroxide : 3-5 parts water -- but don't let it
sit around for more than a few hours).  Most detergents kill the HTLVIII
virus, especially in combination with hot water.

Even safer, of course, is to develop a liking for condoms, and licking
the condom, rather than the penis directly.

As far as cunnilingus, that appeared in the original information
as another POSSIBLY SAFE activity (oral-vaginal sex with spermicide,
i.e. nonoxynol-9 or equivalent).

				Thanx for a good question,

					Will Doherty
					sun!oscar!wild