[net.women] Saving Lives

wild@sun.uucp (Will Doherty) (11/15/85)

Let people know about how AIDS works.  It may save
their lives and yours.  Talk about this openly; it's a
matter of life and death.  If you love someone, you owe
them honest communication about AIDS, even if you're not
having sex with them.

Especially bad is the thought that gay men are the most
likely "risk group" to get AIDS.  That simply isn't true.
It's rapidly becoming clear that the main risk group is
people who share needles and people who engage in sexual
practices that exchange bodily fluids, usually through
mucous membrance contact.  The more peoples' membranes
you contact, the more likely you are to get it.

In Africa, AIDS is a heterosexual disease.  In Europe,
AIDS is about half hetero, half gay male.

Here is an overview of the guidelines to reduce risk of AIDS
for ***everyone***, male or female, gay or straight:

AIDS RISK REDUCTION GUIDELINES

[Source: Institute for the Advanced Study of Human Sexuality,
	 San Francisco, CA, 415-928-1133
	 Call them for a copy of their report
		"Condom Use, AIDS Prevention, and Increased
			Sexual Enjoyment"
	 If you live in the San Francisco area, call for
		a reservation to one of their workshops on
		"Eroticizing Safe Sex" (Excellent!)

 Another good source is the SF AIDS Foundation Hotline,
	 800-FOR-AIDS]

Safe or very low risk:

* Social (dry) kissing
* Hugging
* Body massage
* Non-genital petting
* Mutual Masturbation (penile, vaginal, clitoral)
* Exhibitionism and Voyeurism (consensual)
* S & M (without bruising or bleeding)
* Using personal sex toys (don't share without sterilizing them)

Possibly safe:

* French (wet) kissing)
* Fellatio without taking ejaculate (cock sucking -- no load)
* Anal intercourse with condom (and spermicide)
* Vaginal intercourse with condom (and spermicide)
* Oral-vaginal sex (with spermicide)
* Urine contact ("golden showers"  -- unbroken skin only)

Unsafe:

Anal or vaginal intercourse without a condom
Swallowing semen or taking it vaginally
Oral-anal contact (rimming)
Manual-anal contact (ass play)

Use spermicides that contain nonoxynol-9 (look on the label).
It kills the virus in quite low concentrations.

If you're having trouble getting used to condoms, try playing
with them when you masturbate.  Then, when you get together
with a partner, you'll be more used to how they feel and work.

With care, sex can be as fun as ever!

				Will Doherty
				sun!oscar!wild

cheryl@lasspvax.UUCP (Cheryl Stewart) (11/19/85)

In article <3000@sun.uucp> wild@sun.uucp (Will Doherty) writes:
>Let people know about how AIDS works.
>
> [many detailed descriptions of sex acts]

This does not belong in net.women any more than it belongs in
net.music or net.rec.birds.  Sure, women have sex, but so do
people who birdwatch or listen to music.  Just because the
classification of women as a group is based on sexual anatomy
does not make this a forum for discussion of sexual practices,
or diseases incurred thereby.

This newsgroup is intended for discussion of the economic, legal,
social and political issues that affect women as individuals and
as a group.  So keep your bloody cross-postings to yourself.

jeffw@midas.UUCP (Jeff Winslow) (11/20/85)

In article <697@lasspvax.UUCP> cheryl@lasspvax.UUCP (Cheryl Stewart) writes:
>In article <3000@sun.uucp> wild@sun.uucp (Will Doherty) writes:
>>Let people know about how AIDS works.
>>
>> [many detailed descriptions of sex acts]
>
>This does not belong in net.women any more than it belongs in
>net.music or net.rec.birds.  Sure, women have sex, but so do
>people who birdwatch or listen to music.  Just because the
>classification of women as a group is based on sexual anatomy
>does not make this a forum for discussion of sexual practices,
>or diseases incurred thereby.
>
>This newsgroup is intended for discussion of the economic, legal,
>social and political issues that affect women as individuals and
>as a group.  So keep your bloody cross-postings to yourself.

But medical issues are right out, huh? AIDS *is* a social and medical
issue that affect women as individuals and as a group. If it doesn't
affect you, good. But that's hardly a reason to flame. Quite the contrary.

Along the lines of recent theorizing by Matt Crawford, I will now ask
if perhaps the reason you objected to this article was that you
feel threatened by detailed descriptions of sex acts?

						Jeff Winslow

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (11/20/85)

In article <3000@sun.uucp> wild@sun.uucp (Will Doherty) writes:
>Let people know about how AIDS works.  It may save
>their lives and yours....

>Possibly safe:
>* Anal intercourse with condom (and spermicide)
>* Vaginal intercourse with condom (and spermicide)
>* Oral-vaginal sex (with spermicide)
>
>Use spermicides that contain nonoxynol-9 (look on the label).
>It kills the virus in quite low concentrations.

Last I heard there's no medical evidence for this.  My information  may  be
out of date, but I certainly wouldn't count on any spermicide to protect me
from AIDS.  They're not even 100% effective against sperm.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp(+)TTI                    Common Sense is what tells you that a ten
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.             pound weight falls ten times as fast as a
Santa Monica, CA  90405           one pound weight.
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

sdyer@bbncc5.UUCP (Steve Dyer) (11/21/85)

> > [many detailed descriptions of sex acts]
>
> This does not belong in net.women any more than it belongs in
> net.music or net.rec.birds.  Sure, women have sex, but so do
> people who birdwatch or listen to music.  Just because the
> classification of women as a group is based on sexual anatomy
> does not make this a forum for discussion of sexual practices,
> or diseases incurred thereby.
>
> This newsgroup is intended for discussion of the economic, legal,
> social and political issues that affect women as individuals and
> as a group.  So keep your bloody cross-postings to yourself.

Without arguing too much about the appropriateness of cross-posting to
net.women (I can see arguments on both sides), I should mention that I know
Will, and his credentials as a committed feminist are impeccable.  I am
sure that he sent the message with the best of intentions--i.e., that
women, individually and as a class, should be informed about safe-sex
recommendations.  I found the tone of your article offensive in the
extreme, and a total overreaction.  There are far more polite ways of
suggesting that a subject be discussed elsewhere.
--
/Steve Dyer
{harvard,seismo}!bbnccv!bbncc5!sdyer

cheryl@lasspvax.UUCP (Cheryl Stewart) (11/22/85)

In article <54@midas.UUCP> jeffw@midas.UUCP (Jeff Winslow) writes:

>In article <697@lasspvax.UUCP> cheryl@lasspvax.UUCP (Cheryl Stewart) writes:

>>In article <3000@sun.uucp> wild@sun.uucp (Will Doherty) writes:

>>>Let people know about how AIDS works.
>>>
>>> [many detailed descriptions of sex acts]
>>
>>This does not belong in net.women any more than it belongs in
>>net.music or net.rec.birds.  Sure, women have sex, but so do
>>people who birdwatch or listen to music.  Just because the
>>classification of women as a group is based on sexual anatomy
>>does not make this a forum for discussion of sexual practices,
>>or diseases incurred thereby.
>>
>>This newsgroup is intended for discussion of the economic, legal,
>>social and political issues that affect women as individuals and
>>as a group.  So keep your bloody cross-postings to yourself.
>
>But medical issues are right out, huh? AIDS *is* a social and medical
>issue that affect women as individuals and as a group.

And it also affects birdwatchers and music-lovers and unix-wizards.
So why choose to pollute OUR group with this mindless drivel quoted
out of the New York Post or some similarly inane publication?  I mean,
you people are only displaying your tasteless reading habits (but then,
so am I by continuing to subscribe to this newsgroup).  Now if the
posting were about something which affected only women, then it would
make some sense.  How about a posting on how *pregnancy* is incurred,
with detailed descriptions of sex acts.  Go on.  I DARE you. Nyaa-Nyaa-Nyaa.

>Along the lines of recent theorizing by Matt Crawford, I will now ask
>if perhaps the reason you objected to this article was that you
>feel threatened by detailed descriptions of sex acts?
>
>						Jeff Winslow

Oh, HIM!  I treasure the memory of ALL of the sex-acts I've performed
Matt Crawford!  HA!  Now I can leave you wondering whether I've
actually performed sex acts with Matt Crawford;  remember, my
statement remains logically correct and true even if I have never
lepton his hadron, excited his fundamental modes, accepted an
injection of hot magma into my steaming caldera, intersected his
orbital, or even licked his throbbing popsicle.

I will still maintain that a discussion of AIDS is inappropriate
for this newsgroup, not because it affects more men than women,
but because it is fundamentally absurd to assume that a classification
of people based on sex makes sex a primary concern.

-Cheryl

Cheryl Stewart            Systems Development    lasspvax!cheryl@cornell.arpa
      	Center for Theory and Simulation in Science and Engineering
        265 Olin Hall      Cornell University    Ithaca, N.Y. 14853

seifert@hammer.UUCP (Snoopy) (11/22/85)

[ net.motss, net.nlang.africa, net.singles removed from newsgroups: line ]

In article <54@midas.UUCP> jeffw@midas.UUCP (Jeff Winslow) writes:
>In article <697@lasspvax.UUCP> cheryl@lasspvax.UUCP (Cheryl Stewart) writes:
>>In article <3000@sun.uucp> wild@sun.uucp (Will Doherty) writes:
>>>Let people know about how AIDS works.
>>>
>>> [many detailed descriptions of sex acts]

>>This does not belong in net.women any more than it belongs in
>>net.music or net.rec.birds.  Sure, women have sex, but so do
>>people who birdwatch or listen to music.  Just because the
>>classification of women as a group is based on sexual anatomy
>>does not make this a forum for discussion of sexual practices,
>>or diseases incurred thereby.

>But medical issues are right out, huh? AIDS *is* a social and medical
>issue that affect women as individuals and as a group. If it doesn't
>affect you, good. But that's hardly a reason to flame. Quite the contrary.

Sure, and it also affects birdwatchers, and unix-wizards, and people
who watch tv, and pretty much everyone who reads any group on the
net.  That doesn't mean it should be posted to every group there is!
AIDS is a medical problem and belongs in net.med.  Period.

Those interested in reading information about AIDS may subscribe
to net.med.  Those interested in whatever net.women is doing these days
(I gave up on net.women a while back due to a poor S/N ratio) but
not interested in AIDS shouldn't have to wade through a bunch of
AIDS articles.

Taking your thinking to it's logical conclusion, there would be
one newsgroup.  What a mess.  Usenet is collapsing under it's own
weight, and posting articles to umpty-zillion newsgroups isn't
helping.

Snoopy (ECS Ronin #901)
tektronix!tekecs!doghouse.TEK!snoopy

HAVE YOU TAKEN A BEAGLE OUT TO LUNCH RECENTLY?

pwk@ccice2.UUCP (THE PALE AVENGER) (11/23/85)

In article <697@lasspvax.UUCP> cheryl@lasspvax.UUCP (Cheryl Stewart) writes:
>In article <3000@sun.uucp> wild@sun.uucp (Will Doherty) writes:
>>Let people know about how AIDS works.
>>
>> [many detailed descriptions of sex acts]
>
>This does not belong in net.women any more than it belongs in
>net.music or net.rec.birds.  Sure, women have sex, but so do
>people who birdwatch or listen to music.  Just because the
>classification of women as a group is based on sexual anatomy
>does not make this a forum for discussion of sexual practices,
>or diseases incurred thereby.
>
>This newsgroup is intended for discussion of the economic, legal,
>social and political issues that affect women as individuals and
>as a group.  So keep your bloody cross-postings to yourself.

This article is really funny if you look at where Ms. Stewart posted it.

>Newsgroups: net.motss,net.med,net.nlang.africa,net.singles,net.women

I do not mean to offend Ms. Stewart. I am sure she would have edited
the newsgroups line if she had remembered to do so.
--
Of course I could be wrong.

siesmo!rochester!ccice5!ccice2!pwk (Paul W. Karber)

blueskye@sun.uucp (Tim Ryan) (11/24/85)

In article <709@lasspvax.UUCP> cheryl@lasspvax.UUCP (Cheryl Stewart) writes:
> In article <54@midas.UUCP> jeffw@midas.UUCP (Jeff Winslow) writes:
>>In article <697@lasspvax.UUCP> cheryl@lasspvax.UUCP (Cheryl Stewart) writes:
>>>In article <3000@sun.uucp> wild@sun.uucp (Will Doherty) writes:
> Oh, HIM!  I treasure the memory of ALL of the sex-acts I've performed
>
> [blather with techie-like porno]
>
> I will still maintain that a discussion of AIDS is inappropriate
> for this newsgroup, not because it affects more men than women,
> but because it is fundamentally absurd to assume that a classification
> of people based on sex makes sex a primary concern.

Cheryl, get over it.  Whether you like it or not, AIDS is a disease
that affects everyone, even you.  Will, and I, and Jeff, and anyone
else who post information about AIDS, are simply trying to provide the
latest information so that we can all be around in a couple of years
to keep on trading insults.  Will's information is not from the
*Post*, rather from the latest medical information currently
available.  As for sending this posting to net.women, you may be
right--Will should have posted it to net.announce and net.general.
And stop posting to net.nlang.africe. The topic is inappropriate for
that group. take it out of your newsgroups list if you want to
continue flaming.  Or better yet, let's take this off-line and into
the mail.

Tim Ryan "Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do."
{nsc,ucbvax,decwrl}!sun!blueskye

andrews@ubc-cs.UUCP (Jamie Andrews) (11/25/85)

Re the flames on Will Doherty's AIDS info article:

     Cheryl and Snoopy, I think you're off base on this one.  I think Will
was trying to get to people who have some interest in non-traditional sexual
practices (e.g. any extramarital sex).  His reasoning was probably that the
net.women community would have an unusually high intersection with this
group of people.  A slightly stereotyping assumption, maybe, but not flame
material.  I myself found it informative, and I don't think I read *any* of
the other groups on the original message's newsgroups line.
     I actually think that we should have a net.sex newsgroup for this kind
of thing, but it would probably generate a lot of undesirable articles.

--Jamie.  (spokesman(jamie, X) <-> eq(X, jamie))
...!ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision!ubc-cs!andrews
"The tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate"

rrizzo@bbncca.ARPA (Ron Rizzo) (11/25/85)

Cheryl,

The blast you originally sent out was hardly a mere expression on
your part that sex was "inappropriate" as a "primary topic" in a
newsgroup like "net.women".  In fact, you were clearly intolerant
of it as a secondary or any other order of topic.

So the attempt at humor (directed at Jeff Winslow) was pretty hollow.
If you want to appoint yourself net.women's censor, at least spare
everyone else the hypocrisy of disavowing the character of your original
flame.

					Cheers,
					Ron Rizzo

stephen@dcl-cs.UUCP (Stephen J. Muir) (11/26/85)

In article <54@midas.UUCP> jeffw@midas.UUCP (Jeff Winslow) writes:
>In article <697@lasspvax.UUCP> cheryl@lasspvax.UUCP (Cheryl Stewart) writes:
>>In article <3000@sun.uucp> wild@sun.uucp (Will Doherty) writes:
>>>Let people know about how AIDS works.
>>>
>>> [many detailed descriptions of sex acts]
>>
>>This does not belong in net.women any more than it belongs in
>>net.music or net.rec.birds.  Sure, women have sex, but so do
>>people who birdwatch or listen to music.
>>as a group.  So keep your bloody cross-postings to yourself.
>
>But medical issues are right out, huh?

If they are shared by both sexes then definitely.  There is a newsgroup called
'net.med' specifically for medical issues.  You should use that.

>I will now ask
>if perhaps the reason you objected to this article was that you
>feel threatened by detailed descriptions of sex acts?

These kind of remarks are uncalled for.  This guy was making a genuine point
that these issues are NOT to do with women alone so keep your accusations to
yourself.
--
UUCP:	...!seismo!mcvax!ukc!dcl-cs!stephen
DARPA:	stephen%comp.lancs.ac.uk@ucl-cs	| Post: University of Lancaster,

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (11/28/85)

In article <893@osu-eddie.UUCP> karl@osu-eddie.UUCP writes:
>  Convention has held for a long time that
>discussions should be held in one place, with pointers (if necessary)
>posted to other newsgroups, perhaps to multiple other newsgroups.

I'm not so sure this is the convention. I can't remember the last time
I saw this happen. Most articles are cross posted, like they should
be. The trouble with your scheme is that I have to read all your
pointers as well as the main article. If you cross post it, then I
only have to skip or read it once.

You are looking for a method of indicating "this article belongs in
net.x but I thought the net.y people would be interested also".  I
think the use of pointer articles is an expensive and annoying way to
do so.

Unless the original article is over a screenful, each pointer article
(with the header overhead) will be 50% to 90% of the cost of the
pointed to data. With cross posting, the cost of each extra group is
merely the number of characters in the newsgroup's name, 9 bytes in
the case of net.women. I just looked at a few typical articles. An
average 25 line article has 12 lines of header. There were 487 bytes
in the header and 767 bytes in the body. If this got cross posted to 3
other groups, the total number of bytes would be:

	 487 + 3*9 + 767 = 1461

If you posted 3 pointer articles in addition, the total would be:

	4*487 + 3*40 + 767 = 2855

(assume 40 bytes of text in each pointer article) This is 195% as many
bytes as cross posting.  So your method costs almost twice as much as
cross posting. And is very annoying too.
--
 The INS arrested the Rajneesh for trying to leave the country and
 then deported him.

 Phil Ngai +1 408 749-5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com