[net.women] Coke isn't it

werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) (12/04/85)

	Based on the anecdotal accounts of the use of a coca-cola douche as
a form of contraception in the third world, and the recent New Coke/Classic
Coke debate, 3 doctors at Harvard Medical School published a letter in the
New England Journal of Medicine comparing the Spermicidal effects of
New Coke and Classic.  Their result was that Classic Coke was 5 times more
effective at killing sperm in-vivo than its new emasculated formula, suggested
not pH but rather some factor in the "secret formula" was responsible.
	The conclusion of the study was, at least in this area, "'Classic'
Coke Is It."
	It was written as a scientific account, but it was a joke -- since
sperm in found in the oviducts within minutes and hence douching is an
innefective form of contraception.

	However, this article was picked up in the popular press, which lost
its subtle wit in the translation, and now many people fear women might try
it.   Spread the word:  it's a bad idea -- douching doesn't work for one, and
two, even Coke Classic leaves about 8% of the sperm alive after the first
minute.  Lastly, there is a small chance of the CO2 carbonation forming gas
bubbles in the blood - with serious consequences. So, restrict Coca-Cola to
your mouth.

Source:
Umpierre, Hill, and Anderson
Effect of "Coke" on Sperm Motility
NEJM 313:1351
--

				Craig Werner
				!philabs!aecom!werner

wurzelma@aecom.UUCP (John Wurzelmann) (12/05/85)

> 	Based on the anecdotal accounts of the use of a coca-cola douche as
> a form of contraception in the third world, and the recent New Coke/Classic
> Coke debate, 3 doctors at Harvard Medical School published a letter in the

	As I recall, it turns out that Diet Coke is an even more effective
spermicide than either, Coke Classic or New Coke! In any case, while it's
apparent that none of these beverages constitute an effective means of
birth control, they are probably better than nothing in the case of an
emergency, say a rape, or a case or rapid-onset fulminant irresponsibility.
	I also wonder how the church and/or the right to life groups are
going to react to the fact that an over the counter contraceptive is and
has been advertised over the air waves for lo so many years. Imagine if you
will Archbishop O'Connor picketing NBC for it's airing of Coca-Cola ads.
	Finally, I doubt that any C0 2 which may end up in the blood stream
following a Coke Douche can do any harm, since the body is well equipped
for getting rid of it, and since gynecologists have been injecting the
female genital tract with air for years, for the purpose of demonstrating
the patency of the fallopian tubes, and without any serious adverse reactions.

					John Wurzelmann

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (12/05/85)

In article <2115@aecom.UUCP> wurzelma@aecom.UUCP (John Wurzelmann) writes:
>                                                  In any case, while it's
>apparent that none of these beverages constitute an effective means of
>birth control, they are probably better than nothing in the case of an
>emergency, say a rape, or a case or rapid-onset fulminant irresponsibility.

No, they are _not_ better than nothing.  They're dangerous and can  make  a
bad   situation  worse.   Even  a  standard  douche  is  ineffective  as  a
contraceptive.  Douching with Coke won't work and can  cause  a  number  of
hazardous side effects.  There are other solutions to the rape problem.

>	Finally, I doubt that any C0 2 which may end up in the blood stream
>following a Coke Douche can do any harm, since the body is well equipped
>for getting rid of it, and since gynecologists have been injecting the
>female genital tract with air for years, for the purpose of demonstrating
>the patency of the fallopian tubes, and without any serious adverse reactions.

There's something of a difference between a  controlled  medical  procedure
and  a hasty rinse with a soft drink.  In various human sexuality courses I
was taught one should _never_ blow into a woman's vagina because of a  very
real  possibility  of lethal embolism.  I've heard of cases where the woman
died within _3 seconds_ of having this done to her.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp(+)TTI                    Common Sense is what tells you that a ten
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.             pound weight falls ten times as fast as a
Santa Monica, CA  90405           one pound weight.
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

wurzelma@aecom.UUCP (John Wurzelmann) (12/06/85)

> In article <2115@aecom.UUCP> wurzelma@aecom.UUCP (John Wurzelmann) writes:
>
> -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
> The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
> Citicorp(+)TTI                    Common Sense is what tells you that a ten
> 3100 Ocean Park Blvd.             pound weight falls ten times as fast as a
> Santa Monica, CA  90405           one pound weight.
> (213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
> {philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

wurzelma@aecom.UUCP (John Wurzelmann) (12/06/85)

> There's something of a difference between a  controlled  medical  procedure
> and  a hasty rinse with a soft drink.  In various human sexuality courses I
> was taught one should _never_ blow into a woman's vagina because of a  very
> real  possibility  of lethal embolism.  I've heard of cases where the woman
> died within _3 seconds_ of having this done to her.

			The story about blowing into women's vaginas is
true, but applies only to pregnant women whose circulatory system can be
broached via the decidua basalis, where it attaches to the placenta. This
also requires air administered at higher pressure than coke fizz. Finally
no one is realistically proposing that Coke be used as contraception, even
though the fact of the matter is, that it is used for just this purpose
in some third world countries, and that there have not, to my knowledge, been
any fatalities or cerbrovascular accidents reported as a result.

					      John Wurzelmann

jeff@rtech.UUCP (Jeff Lichtman) (12/07/85)

> > 	Based on the anecdotal accounts of the use of a coca-cola douche as
> > a form of contraception in the third world, and the recent New Coke/Classic
> > Coke debate, 3 doctors at Harvard Medical School published a letter in the
>

> 	As I recall, it turns out that Diet Coke is an even more effective
> spermicide than either, Coke Classic or New Coke! In any case, while it's
> apparent that none of these beverages constitute an effective means of
> birth control, they are probably better than nothing in the case of an
> emergency, say a rape, or a case or rapid-onset fulminant irresponsibility.
>
> 					John Wurzelmann

I'm not a doctor, but plain old common sense tells me that Coke is for
drinking.  Before you recommend using Coke as a douche, why don't you go
through your kitchen cabinet and try all of the substances you find there in
your various body orifices?  You might find some beneficial effect in some
of your trials.  For instance, what would happen if you put mustard up your
nose?  You never know, it might cure a cold.  Then again, it could cause
permanent damage to your nasal membranes.

Seriously, Mr. Wurzelmann's posting disturbs me.  He seems to be saying that
a woman who finds herself in danger of an unwanted pregnancy should try
something which is medically inadvisable (if only because no one knows what
it could do), instead of seeing a doctor.
--
Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
"Saints should always be judged guilty until they are proved innocent..."

{amdahl, sun}!rtech!jeff
{ucbvax, decvax}!mtxinu!rtech!jeff

seger@h-sc1.UUCP (carol seger) (12/08/85)

> In article <2115@aecom.UUCP> wurzelma@aecom.UUCP (John Wurzelmann) writes:
> >                                                  In any case, while it's
> >apparent that none of these beverages constitute an effective means of
> >birth control, they are probably better than nothing in the case of an
> >emergency, say a rape, or a case or rapid-onset fulminant irresponsibility.

I have always read that if you are raped you should not douch or otherwise
attempt to clean yourself before seeing the police or a doctor.
This is so that important physical evidence is not lost.

Carol Seger.

jcp@osiris.UUCP (Jody Patilla) (12/08/85)

> There's something of a difference between a  controlled  medical  procedure
> and  a hasty rinse with a soft drink.  In various human sexuality courses I
> was taught one should _never_ blow into a woman's vagina because of a  very
> real  possibility  of lethal embolism.  I've heard of cases where the woman
> died within _3 seconds_ of having this done to her.

	In every documented case of this happening (I've read of at least 10)
the woman has been pregnant. Pregnancy increases the permeability of the
vagina/uterus and so the air emboli travel very fast. Why this has never
been made absolutely clear to the general public, I don't know, but it's
incredibly dangerous.

--
jcpatilla

Earth is paid a diplomatic visit by giant extragalactic icky things
that understand us all too well and are truly cosmic and can be
killed by a crowd of peasants with torches.

mdf@osu-eddie.UUCP (Mark D. Freeman) (12/08/85)

Lethal embolism from blowing into a woman's vagina?!

If there was even a one in one thousand chance of this occurring, I am sure
that the tens of thousands of women dying in bed during oral sex would make
headlines around the world.

--
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Mark D. Freeman			    Guest account at The Ohio State University

seifert@hammer.UUCP (Snoopy) (12/09/85)

In article <2110@aecom.UUCP> werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) writes:

>	Based on the anecdotal accounts of the use of a coca-cola douche as
> a form of contraception in the third world,   [ ... ]
> Their result was that Classic Coke was 5 times more effective at
> killing sperm in-vivo than its new emasculated formula, suggested
> not pH but rather some factor in the "secret formula" was responsible.
>	The conclusion of the study was, at least in this area, "'Classic'
> Coke Is It."

Yes, but is it any good against AIDS?    [maybe Coke and rum?  :-) ]

(why not?  It kills sperm, it kills the pancreas...)

Snoopy
tektronix!tekecs!doghouse.TEK!snoopy

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (12/09/85)

In article <2119@aecom.UUCP> wurzelma@aecom.UUCP (John Wurzelmann) writes:
>                                                              ... Finally
>no one is realistically proposing that Coke be used as contraception, even
>though the fact of the matter is, that it is used for just this purpose
>in some third world countries, and that there have not, to my knowledge, been
>any fatalities or cerbrovascular accidents reported as a result.

You yourself stated that  douching  with  Coke  might  be  "...better  than
nothing."  in  the  event  of  rape or other unprotected intercourse.  Even
ignoring the dangers of douching with Coke at all, this is  inadvisable  as
the   Coke  could  well  force  the  semen  higher  into  the  uterus  thus
_increasing_ the likelihood of pregnancy (this can happen with _any_ douche
and  is  one  reason  they  are  ineffective  as  contraceptives).  Such  a
procedure could also destroy material evidence in a rape case.

Dr. David Reuben also proposed douching with Coke in his  book  _Everything
You  Always  Wanted to Know About Sex (but were afraid to ask)_.  This book
was subsequently lambasted by  experts  in  the  field  as  being  full  of
misinformation, old wives' tales, and apocryphal nonsense.  With respect to
his recommendation of Coke as a douche the critics  (medical  doctors  all)
stated  that  the  procedure  could  lead to " ... infection, embolism, and
death.".

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp(+)TTI                    The more I work with C, the more I
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.             appreciate the simple elegance of
Santa Monica, CA  90405           FORTRAN.

dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) (12/10/85)

In article <2110@aecom.UUCP> werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) writes:
>...Spread the word:  it's a bad idea -- douching doesn't work for one, and
>two, even Coke Classic leaves about 8% of the sperm alive after the first
>minute...

Classic Coke has been shown to work well as a contraceptive, provided
that it is administered properly. The proper use as contraceptive (in
female): place can between thighs and hold there for duration of
sexual activity. The colder, the better. :-)

hankb@teklds.UUCP (Hank Buurman) (12/10/85)

In article <948@osu-eddie.UUCP> mdf@osu-eddie.UUCP (Mark D. Freeman) writes:

>Lethal embolism from blowing into a woman's vagina?!

>If there was even a one in one thousand chance of this occurring, I am sure
>that the tens of thousands of women dying in bed during oral sex would make
>headlines around the world.

Believe it! This is no joke, but an extremely dangerous practice (well
documented). I know personally of one case resulting in quick death.

--

       Hank Buurman    Tektronix Inc.   ihnp4!tektronix!dadlac!hankb
   -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) (12/11/85)

Dr. Reuben's famous book ("Everything You Always...") talks at
length about the use of Coke as contraceptive douche. He says most
people feel the 6-oz size is just about right.

I think about this every time I drink a bottled Coke.

Dave Kirby    ( ...!ihnp4!akgub!cylixd!dave)
"Do you know for SURE where that bottle's been?"

oleg@birtch.UUCP (Oleg Kiselev) (12/13/85)

In article <1366@teklds.UUCP> hankb@teklds.UUCP (Hank Buurman) writes:
>In article <948@osu-eddie.UUCP> mdf@osu-eddie.UUCP (Mark D. Freeman) writes:
>>Lethal embolism from blowing into a woman's vagina?!
>>If there was even a one in one thousand chance of this occurring, I am sure
>>that the tens of thousands of women dying in bed during oral sex would make
>>headlines around the world.
>Believe it! This is no joke, but an extremely dangerous practice (well
>documented). I know personally of one case resulting in quick death.

HUH? Anybody cares to explain this? HOW does "quick" death occure? From WHAT?
--
Disclamer: My employers go to church every Sunday, listen to Country music,
and donate money to GOP. I am just a deviant.
--------------------------------+...!{ihnp4|randvax}!ucla-cs!uclapic!oac6!oleg