[net.women] pervasive public harrassment of women

andrews@ubc-cs.UUCP (Jamie Andrews) (02/06/86)

In article <1083@watmath.UUCP> jamcmullan@watmath.UUCP (Judy McMullan) writes:
>                    ... I think a better social situation would be one where
>either (1) people become acquainted for a certain amount of time before a
>sexual relationship is established (2) there were social situations where it
>was recognized that the people involved were interested in a sexual relation-
>ship and so women were not approached at any old time or place no matter HOW
>inappropriate or what they were reading.

     I'd like to respond to this, as I've thought about this a lot.  This
would be a better social situation, but I don't think it's ever going to
happen.  If A likes B better than B likes A, it's natural for A to try to
change B's mind, so that B will like A better.

     In the current situation, if A is a woman and B is a man, she is expected
not to make any advances to B, but instead to indicate to B that she would
accept if he made advances to her.  If B doesn't read the signals correctly,
or is not self-confident enough, they've both missed out on a potentially
good relationship.  A is contributing to this problem as much as B.  If we
had a non-sexist society, there would be an equal division of expectations
on either side, and less difference between the average male and the average
female reaction in this kind of situation.

     As I understand it, in gay and lesbian groups, where there's a smaller
amount of variation in aggressiveness in advances, a lot of this A-pursuing-B
stuff still goes on.  That suggests that it will still go on in the wider
society; so that men and women both should change their approaches to
relationships while still acknowledging this tendency.

--Jamie.
...!ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision!ubc-cs!andrews
"The showers beat on broken blinds and chimney-pots"