[net.women] Tanning basics

edhall@randvax.UUCP (Ed Hall) (02/09/86)

In article <2068@watdcsu.UUCP> dmcanzi@watdcsu.UUCP (David Canzi) writes:
>What sense is there in getting a seamless tan *on* *her* *back*
>*only*?  She can't, by undoing the top half of her bikini, get a
>seamless tan on the front of her body or below the waist.  I cannot
>convince myself that undoing the back of her bikini was not intended to
>attract men.
>
>If she was truly interested in getting a seamless tan, wouldn't she go
>(a) to a nude beach, if she could find one, or (b) to one of those
>tanning salons?
>
>I'm mainly posting this because of the several thousand articles
>moaning about how impolite it was for those men to interrupt her
>reading, as if the undone bikini strap was of no consequence.

David, I've seen a lot more backless dresses than frontless ones.  In
this part of the world, a LOT of the summer clothes worn display one
part of the back or another.  And people tend to get pretty dark tans
around here.  The white shadow from a strap can be VERY obvious.

As a result, it is very common for women to sun themselves with their
straps undone.  Several of my friends do this.  I see it whenever I
go to the beach.  And it never even occured to me that it could be
thought of as a ``ploy.''

I guess this is just another example of cultural misunderstanding.
At least I *hope* it's nothing more insidious than that...

		-Ed Hall
		ihnp4!sdcrdcf!randvax!edhall