[net.women] Mid-Life Crisis

thoma@reed.UUCP (Ann Muir Thomas) (01/20/86)

(BTW, I am cross posting this, since I feel that the subject matter is
appropriate to both net.singles and net.women.)

(The original article was about a mid-30's woman who was discovering that
a good career alone is not enough for happiness.)

Many times I have wondered what I am giving up in terms of friends/family
in order to pursue a degree & career (hopefully) in psychology.  When I
escape the ivory tower at age 27 or so, will I have found that life has passed
me by?  What I so often find missing in my life is love, and far too many
of the people in my environment "don't have the time" for "silly" things
like relationships, long talks, closeness etc., yet they complain about
being lonely.  Phone conversations and e-mail with friends who are at a
distance can only do so much.

As a woman, I feel that I face more difficulties in this area.  One is:
are there any men out there who would "follow" me around for the next 5
years until I complete my education?  I had a long talk with one of my
professors about the nature of relationships in academia, and he concluded,
sadly, that women seem much more willing to "follow" their (male) SOs,
perhaps because men are expected to have "better" careers than women.  He
admitted that his own wife had "followed" him, and regretted having
harmed her academic career in this way.  (they are "gypsy professors" who
basically move from visiting assistantship to visiting assistantship, and
he has been the one to get offered jobs.).  I know what it's like to leave
an SO behind when I return to college-- *very* painful; so far, college has
won out, but I don't know how many more times I am going to go through
breakups caused by "situational" factors.

Sometimes life is a bitch.

Ann Muir Thomas

"If I could throw these lifeless lifelines to the winds/leave this heart
of clay/and watch you walk away/into the night/and into the rain/into
the half-lights/ and into the fray...." --U2

cheryl@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (cheryl) (01/21/86)

In article <2340@reed.UUCP> thoma@reed.UUCP (Ann Muir Thomas) writes:

>(The original article was about a mid-30's woman who was discovering that
>a good career alone is not enough for happiness.)
>
>Many times I have wondered what I am giving up in terms of friends/family
>in order to pursue a degree & career (hopefully) in psychology.  When I
>escape the ivory tower at age 27 or so, will I have found that life has passed
>me by?  What I so often find missing in my life is love, and far too many
>of the people in my environment "don't have the time" for "silly" things...

It's better than realizing at age 37 or so that your marriage is a
truly "silly" thing, and that, since you gave up your economic
independence for this wonderful thing called love, that your're going
to spend the rest of your life broke, divorced AND lonely.  If you
opt for the job, you're only lonely.  A good career may not be enough
for happiness, but throwing yourself away on some man isn't going to
make you happy either.

Cheryl

debray@sbcs.UUCP (Saumya Debray) (01/23/86)

>>What I so often find missing in my life is love, and far too many
>>of the people in my environment "don't have the time" for "silly" things...
>
> It's better than realizing at age 37 or so that your marriage is a
> truly "silly" thing, and that, since you gave up your economic
> independence for this wonderful thing called love, that your're going
> to spend the rest of your life broke, divorced AND lonely.  If you
> opt for the job, you're only lonely.  A good career may not be enough
> for happiness, but throwing yourself away on some man isn't going to
> make you happy either.
>
> Cheryl

Of course, if you begin with the premise that love is a "truly silly thing",
it'll probably end up being self-fulfilling.  Until then, try explaining to
the sad and lonely successes how economically astute their career decisions
were.

In some naive, idealistic way, I believe that happiness and peace of mind
are worth more, in the long run, than riches and fame.  I'd rather die
poor-and-happy than rich-and-miserable (though being happy-and-rich has its
advantages, to be sure! :-).  For this reason, I just can't understand
reasoning along the lines of "Well, love and marriage just possibly might
not work out, so why risk it? let's hack careers instead".
--
Saumya Debray
SUNY at Stony Brook

	uucp: {allegra, hocsd, philabs, ogcvax} !sbcs!debray
	arpa: debray%suny-sb.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
	CSNet: debray@sbcs.csnet

tron@fluke.UUCP (Peter Barbee) (01/24/86)

Cheryl Stewart writes;

>It's better than realizing at age 37 or so that your marriage is a
>truly "silly" thing, and that, since you gave up your economic
>independence for this wonderful thing called love, that your're going
>to spend the rest of your life broke, divorced AND lonely.  If you
>opt for the job, you're only lonely.  A good career may not be enough
>for happiness, but throwing yourself away on some man isn't going to
>make you happy either.

And I wanted to throw myself away on some women...:-)

But seriously, we (especially me) need a little bit more optimism than
this, don't we?  I think the important part is to refrain from financial
dependence.  In today's society it is more common for women to become
financially dependent but men can do it too.

Personally, I figure the next time I get married (probably not a legal
marriage, but my personal realization of marriage) it will be to a women
who will not become dependent on me.  Why?  First, there are less women
willing to do that, second I don't ususlly like them anyway.

We all know many aspects of today's stereotypical roles suck the big one,
but don't we also see some light, some change?  If we give up on marriage
the institution will die, wouldn't it better to redefine societies
expectations of marriage?

I know, I know, this has all been said before but I had just read about
7 positive postings in a row and it felt so good...

Peter B
ihnp4!uw-beaver!fluke!tron

cheryl@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (cheryl) (01/27/86)

In article <39@sbcs.UUCP> debray@sbcs.UUCP (Saumya Debray) writes:
>>>What I so often find missing in my life is love, and far too many
>>>of the people in my environment "don't have the time" for "silly" things...
>>
>> It's better than realizing at age 37 or so that your marriage is a
>> truly "silly" thing, and that, since you gave up your economic
>> independence for this wonderful thing called love, that your're going
>> to spend the rest of your life broke, divorced AND lonely.  If you
>> opt for the job, you're only lonely.  A good career may not be enough
>> for happiness, but throwing yourself away on some man isn't going to
>> make you happy either.
>>
>> Cheryl
>
>Of course, if you begin with the premise that love is a "truly silly thing",
>it'll probably end up being self-fulfilling.  Until then, try explaining to
>the sad and lonely successes how economically astute their career decisions
>were.

Look, lonliness does not necessarily accompany a career.  If people
are lonely, do they say, "yeah, I should have never worked for a
living and pinned all of my economic security on someone else, just
to 'be happy' "?  Just try talking to the broke and lonely single
mothers in this world who opted for "happiness."  There's a lot
more of them than these mythical sad and rich types (and I
have very little sympathy for people who say "money can't buy
happiness"  -- it's their fault if they don't know where to shop!)

>In some naive, idealistic way, I believe that happiness and peace of mind
>are worth more, in the long run, than riches and fame.  I'd rather die
>poor-and-happy than rich-and-miserable (though being happy-and-rich has its
>advantages, to be sure! :-).

Happiness & peace of mind, in the long run, is not to be portrayed as the
sole domain of married, non-working women.  Remember the suicide rate
for married women.

>For this reason, I just can't understand
>reasoning along the lines of "Well, love and marriage just possibly might
>not work out, so why risk it? let's hack careers instead".

	That's not the reasoning.  As long as women refuse to
	take responsibility for their own happiness and
	fulfillment and economic security, seeking all of
	these things to be taken care of by somebody else,
	will women be unhappy.

	The MYTH that "love & marriage" is the key to
	a woman's happiness is a LIE.  If you're not
	critically-minded enough to cut through the
	myths and look around you, then that's your
	problem.

Cheryl

In article <1364@vax1.fluke.UUCP> tron@fluke.UUCP (Peter Barbee) writes:

>We all know many aspects of today's stereotypical roles suck the big one,
>but don't we also see some light, some change?  If we give up on marriage
>the institution will die, wouldn't it better to redefine societies
>expectations of marriage?

	Which societies are we going to change first? The DAR?
	the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign's
	"Women's Club"?  That will be a challenge.  How would
	you like it if your SO's boss's wife told you that if
	you didn't join the "Women's club" you would probably damage your
	SO's career (and of course your only source of livelihood
	or happiness and fulfillment)?  How would you like it
	if your faculty advisor at University of Chicago assumed
	you were *not* serious about making a career of your research,
	just because you happened to be married?  How would you
	like to deal with male graduate students who tell you that
	you ought to be having children by now (instead of competing
	successfully with them for grades & grants)?  How would
	you like to, in addition to putting all your effort into
	proving your worth, and enjoying your work to it's fullest,
	finding that your advisor asks you to babysit for his
	kids "

greenber@phri.UUCP (Ross Greenberg) (01/30/86)

In article <...> cheryl@batcomputer.UUCP () bitches:

>	... How would
>	you like to, in addition to putting all your effort into
>	proving your worth, and enjoying your work to it's fullest,
>	finding that your advisor asks you to babysit for his
>	kids "

Someone asked you to babysit for their kids?

I guess they don't like their kids too much.....

--
------
ross m. greenberg

[phri rarely makes a guest-account user a spokesperson. Especially not me.]

terry@nrcvax.UUCP (Terry Grevstad) (01/31/86)

cheryl@batcomputer.UUCP () says:
>In article <2340@reed.UUCP> thoma@reed.UUCP (Ann Muir Thomas) writes:
>>(The original article was about a mid-30's woman who was discovering that
>>a good career alone is not enough for happiness.)

>.... throwing yourself away on some man isn't going to
>make you happy either.
>
>Cheryl

"throwing yourself away on some man"????

Excuse me, but I must take exception.

Marrying because you *love* someone and he *loves* you, is not
"throwing yourself away."  To me it represents the obvious next step
in a maturing individual.  After taking the step from childhood into
adulthood, and learning how to handle yourself, your individuality,
your decisions, your finances, your life, the next step is learning
how to mesh those things with someone else's--the true give and take
of two individuals interacting.  The real proving ground for that kind
of knowledge, maturity and commitment is marriage.

Granted, if you're not ready for that step DON'T TAKE IT!  But if
you've mastered the rest and you are more than ready to move on, you
are going to continue to be unhappy until you do.  The key here is
finding a partner  who is also ready to move on to the next step.

Cheryl, I'm sorry you got burned, but the same fire that burned you is
keeping me toasty warm and happy.  So I don't think you have the right
to put it out.

*************    FLAME OFF (I guess :-})    ***************

--
\"\t\f1A\h'+1m'\f4\(mo\h'+1m'\f1the\h'+1m'\f4\(es\t\f1\c

                                                       Terry Grevstad
                                         Network Research Corporation
                                                   ihnp4!nrcvax!terry
	                 {sdcsvax,hplabs}!sdcrdcf!psivax!nrcvax!terry
                                            ucbvax!calma!nrcvax!terry

moiram@tektronix.UUCP (Moira Mallison ) (02/03/86)

In article <168@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU> cheryl@batcomputer.UUCP () writes:

>It's better than realizing at age 37 or so that your marriage is a
>truly "silly" thing, and that, since you gave up your economic
>independence for this wonderful thing called love, that your're going
>to spend the rest of your life broke, divorced AND lonely.  If you
>opt for the job, you're only lonely.  A good career may not be enough
>for happiness, but throwing yourself away on some man isn't going to
>make you happy either.
>
>Cheryl

There's no reason why, at age 37, one must make *any* resignations as
to how the rest of her/his life is to be spent.  New careers can be
forged, new friendships made, etc.    My mother was left a widow 1.5
years ago, after 35 years of marriage.  She had worked outside the home
in a pink-collar job for the last fifteen years of the marriage, taking
a leave of absence to nurse my father through the final months of his
illness.   She was not left broke, but she certainly was bereft.

In rather rational fashion, she made no far-reaching decisions in the
first year after his death.  Last fall, at age 58, she started back to
school to begin (as a freshman) work toward eventual graduate work in
her chosen field.

When I finished my undergraduate degree shortly after Dad's death,
the following conversation took place.

Mom (talking to a 3rd party):  "oh, she's going on to grad school next.
She'll be the first female Ph.D. in the family."
Me: "What about having kids?"  (at age 33, it was time to start thinking
     seriously about this, if I was going to do it).
Mom: "I'll take care of the kids, while you go to school".

I reminded her of this conversation a couple months ago.  Her response
was that she had raised *her* family.  She wasn't going to live vicariously
through me anymore, and if I didn't get busy, *she* would be the first
female Ph.D. in the family!   Hooray for Mom!

Moira Mallison
tektronix!moiram

seltzer@dali.berkeley.edu.BERKELEY.EDU (Linda &) (02/07/86)

Someone wrote that marrying someone you love isn't "throwing yourself
away".  The problem is that there are some women who do throw away
all autonomy and individuality in order to get married to the man they
love.  I have met women who have suddenly quit school or a job in order
to move in and live with a man (in some cases the men were ambivalent about
this, but the women insisted on moving in anyway) who lived far away.
I used to share a house with a man, and one day his girlfriend showed
up at our door, from LONDON, and moved in!  ... with no real notice.
She brought her clothes and some personal effects, and just left
the rest of her stuff in her dorm room in London.  She just stayed
at our house all the time and did housework, trying to get him to marry
her, and it took him six months to get her to move out!  And this was
an architect!  This is a little bit of an extreme case, but some
women feel really desperate to get married, whatever sacrifice it
may take, and it's this attitude that Cheryl and others think is
ridiculous.

debray@sbcs.UUCP (Saumya Debray) (02/10/86)

> Someone wrote that marrying someone you love isn't "throwing yourself
> away".  The problem is that there are some women who do throw away
> all autonomy and individuality in order to get married to the man they
> love.  I have met women who have suddenly quit school or a job in order
> to move in and live with a man ...

> ... some women feel really desperate to get married, whatever sacrifice
> it may take, and it's this attitude that Cheryl and others think is
> ridiculous.

Seems to me it's a matter of personal choice: after all, we _are_ talking
about adults!  Different people derive happiness from different things.
Isn't it rather presumptuous to claim exclusive access to some sort of
universal truth?