[net.women] Sexism and reality

andrews@ubc-cs.UUCP (Jamie Andrews) (02/10/86)

In article <5940@tekecs.UUCP> dorettas@tekecs.UUCP (Doretta Schrock) writes:
>Here on the planet where I live, 99% of the predjudice based on
>sex is directed against women....

      Political and economic prejudice:  no question.  Social and
emotional prejudice:  a significant amount directed against men.  If
you're not a man, I don't expect you to empathize with this completely.
But if you value Rita Mae Brown's opinion more than mine, you may be
interested to know that in a recent _Ms._ article she said much the
same thing.

>                           ...  There are a lot of men on the
>net who seem to just love statements like "sexism hurts men
>just as much as it does women" and "sexism directed at men is
>just as bad a sexism directed against women"....

      I'm interested in no such competition, but there are a lot of
women on the net who ignore the fact that men do suffer because of
stereotypes, and I consider it my duty to educate them.

>                                          ...  That way they
>can remain politically correct while ignoring the reality that
>bias against the powerful does not have the same effect
>on the people in power as bias against the powerless has on
>those without power.

     I agree completely, but who said that sexism had only to do with
power?  A lot of people don't realize that when they think that money
and power are more important than knowing what your real emotional
North American materialist society.

--Jamie.
...!ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision!ubc-cs!andrews
"And then the lighting of the lamps"